Olympic Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Hockey

I don't know about you, but I would much rather watch our olympic hockey team on a giant screen at rexall with 17,000 other fans, then at home in my living room. I would pay $15 (incl parking) for this benefit and the oilers can donate some of the money to charity. I think it would get Loud.
    we can all sing the national anthem again.

Is it being done? This has been done before, hasn't it?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
      i know the flames did it for their away games during their cup run.
      don't think the oilers have ever done it.

i don't think it's being done or is being planned. but i think it would be a great idea if they did it.

Comment

Not quite Rexall Place but........
        Olympics to be shown in movie theatres

By Canwest News Service
        December 10, 2009

The Vancouver Olympics are coming to a movie theatre near you.

From Feb. 12 to 28, coverage of the Games will be shown live in HD in 64 Cineplex theatres. The theatre chain will dedicate one auditorium daily to the Olympics. A list of locations is available at www.CTVOlympics.ca/theatre and sww.RDSolympiques.ca/cinema.

Theatre passports go on sale Dec. 18 at participating theatres for $29.95, providing unlimited access for all 17 days of the Games.

The passport, which is transferable, guarantees fans a seat every day for every event, including the opening ceremony and the men's and women's gold-medal hockey games.

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010win...088/story.html
        As for showing it at Rexall, the Jube or any other large venue....... there has to be an agreement with CTV, the host broadcaster, and the Vancouver Olympic Committee.
        Last edited by North Guy66; 22-12-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post

i don't think it's being done or is being planned. but i think it would be a great idea if they did it.
          thats because the oilers dont make the playoffs ha...Oilers are so brutal this year, oh well good chance for fans to check out the other teams in Edmonton like the Capitals, Energy, etc...

Comment

This is a terrific idea! I encourage you to e-mail this thread to some sports media or the Oilers.

There is a local precedent ... Oiler fans gathered at Rexall Place to watch the team when it was in the finals against Carolina several years ago.
            Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

Comment

Originally posted by Bray88 View Post
              Originally posted by nobleea View Post

thats because the oilers dont make the playoffs ha...Oilers are so brutal this year, oh well good chance for fans to check out the other teams in Edmonton like the Capitals, Energy, etc...
              I guess you missed 2006. We did play some of the away games in Rexall, and at various theaters around the city.
              I've heard of the Capitals before - but whats this 'Energy' you talk of?
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Three theatres in Edmonton will be showing the Olympics live:

Coming this February, Canadians will experience the Olympic Winter Games like never before - on fifty foot screens, all in HD and in crystal clear 5.1 surround sound audio. From the spectacular Opening Ceremony to cheering on your local athlete to the excitement of the gold medal hockey game, imagine the thrill of watching every moment of Vancouver 2010 with family and friends at the CTV Olympic Games Broadcast at Cineplex!
                http://www.cineplex.com/Promos/CTVOl...plex/Home.aspx
                Just wondering where you people will be watching the Olympics, particularly Men's Hockey?

This city is so starved to cheer for a winning team that when the World Juniors was going on during the holiday season there was a buzz around the city bars. I've booked off the last week of February so I can watch and party as Team Canada advances through the medal round and, hopefully, to the gold medal game. Hey, it's only once every four years!

I'm leaning towards Players Sports Bar or a bar on Whyte Ave. to cheer for Crosby, Thornton, Brodeur etc.

p.s......Moderator: perhaps this thread should be moved to the Sports section?
                Last edited by North Guy66; 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

^Check out the Edmonton Rush. They are 3-1 and playing great. Going to a game later on this month to check them out since one of my staff keeps on talking how lacrosse is faster and tougher than hockey. (she's my toughest staff member and had to be eased off when she was at self defence class as she kept on wanting to wail on the guy in the dummy suit)
                  My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

I'm sure I'll check out the Rush one of these days.

But let's face it, cheering for Canada vs. USA or Canada vs. Russia for Olympic gold is different than Rush vs. Rock. I don't care what some Governor General said 140 years ago. Hockey is Canada's national sport.

I'll check out Player's Sports bar first, perhaps when Canada plays USA on February 21.

I went there last season when the Oilers were still hanging in for a playoff race. It was a Saturday night Canucks game and the place was packed. Each booth had a wireless speaker cube thingy that enabled you to adjust the volume for the game. There was a dude dressed in a refs uniform playing old school hockey organ music on a Casio. Everyone was given a puck with an Oiler name on it. If that player scored/assisted/fought you get cheap beer. Tons of televisions including two giant ones above the circular bar. The food is decent too, not just your regular deep fried trans fat.

It can be a drag if there are no customers because the place is massive. But when it is packed the atmosphere is excellent, which shouldn't be a problem for Olympic Hockey.

Comment

Anyone know where I can buy Canadian flag temporary tattoos?

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                        Anyone know where I can buy Canadian flag temporary tattoos?
                        Canadian Tire ??? They sometimes bring in what they refer to as 'foreign merchandise' on a 1 shot deal. No promises... just a suggestion.
                        Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Thanks. I called a friend. She said she seen some at Value Village and to also try the dollar stores if I wanted some temporary lead poisoning.

While I'm at Value Village, I might as well look for some red pants.

Comment

This past Saturday morning I stumbled upon some Hockey Canada tattoos at Zeller's.

I picked up three packages of 8. Today I went back to get some for my co-workers and the stock was all cleaned out. I tried Mill Woods Towne Centre and they were out of stock too. Most of the other Canada gear were going fast too, as some shelves were bare.

So now I am going to horde my Hockey Canada tattoos for my special Canadian friends.

This whole country is pumped after Bilodeau won Canada's first gold medal. Just imagine the vibe if the Canadian men makes it to the hockey gold medal game?
                            Last edited by North Guy66; 15-02-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

8-0 Canada over Norway. That was easy.

One more exhibition against the Swiss and then the real test starts when Canada plays the USA on Sunday.

Memo to Daryl Sutter:
                              Sidney Crosby > Matt Stajan

Comment

Working...
                              X