Candidate Calvin Lim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mki,
    Personally, I think Edmonton is seriously lacking some artistic characteristic a big city of our size should have. We need to do more, a lot more.

The issue that I am having is not with budget approval, we simply need to motivate more people to present their innovation and creativity. The key to art is encouragement, not taxing people so more money is given. This will not work.

Art is for the general public to appreciate. In the eyes of public likeness and encouragement, art will by itself, flourish.

My major philosophy is creating a lot of community driven program that encourage all walk of live to participate, not some small group of people who knows best how to apply for funding. Introducing red tapes, pouring out money simply wont work as we had seen for the last decade.

Yes, I have read the Art of Living and I agree the importants of a long term vision.
    Visit calvinforcouncillor.com , sign guestbook, show your support

Comment

I feel like sharing this little girls question to all

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Grace <XXXXXh[email protected]> wrote:
      Hi,
      even though I am just a kid we're studying the election in school and I would just like to know,What are your opinions on the city centre airport, and are you for the LRT expansion or against it?
      Hello Grace,

Thank you for your concern and I'm glad that you have shown great interest in things that really impact all of us where most adult would not bother. Do you know that less than 30% of people voted on the last city councillor election?

My opinion on airport
      1. This city have lots to offer. Having a land as big as the city centre airport would provide great opportunity for further development. We need to progress and move on.
      2. My main concern is how the development will lead to. Who will decide what to put in and when, how much, how are we to clean the pollution, who will have the final say on what to build. If we are not careful, this development might lead to nightmare, where budget overrun and we may ended up with a vacant land that nothing is being build upon for many years.
      3. Another major concern that I have is the people whom do not want to see the airport removed, will take the entire case to court, putting injunction (which means, nothing could be build until the legal case is completed), this will ends up with all of us tax payer will have to pay extra money for legal defense. Do you know how much a lawyer cost and how long a legal fight in court will last? I can tell you, it will easily cost millions of dollar, and I am seeing this will happen because the group is now in the process of filing the case to our court.

So in conclusion, why rush? Let's hear from both side and put our brains towards a win - win situation, where both side's happy, because the money that used on fighting in court will be better off building our city. There are more to be done like having a nice art centre, more playground and etc.

My Opinion on LRT Expansion
      I have visited many countries and cities, over 200 cities in close to 30 counties. LRT or mass transit is the way for our future because it reduce pollution. In fact, I wish we have the money to extend our LRT to the airport like in London, Tokyo, Moscow, Beijing, Hong Kong and more. This will ensure fast and convenient commute for a lot of people. My son would love to send me off to airport and wave as the plane took off. However, before we can achieve these, we have to ensure our LRT system is ready. We need more facilities and security are there to encourage everyone to be able to use them safely and conveniently.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Regards

Calvin
      Visit calvinforcouncillor.com , sign guestbook, show your support

Comment

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
        Executive Director
        Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Working...
        X