Candidate Brendan Van Alstine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chris,

I think I dropped a handbill at your place last night while Brendan was busy with a Shaw TV interview.* We'll be happy to swing that sign by on our next run.

-Brian

*We'll be back knocking doors again tonight and most nights if you or anyone else reading this are interested in getting involved with our ground game. http://brendanvanalstine.ca/?p=volunteer or PM as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
      Hi Brendan,

I've carefuly considered all the candidates for ward 7, I will stick with my initial impressions and believe you are the best fit for the job. (your advocacy for cycling sealed the deal!) I also believe that due to the frustration directed towards the incumbent and the anger at one of your running mates who does not have a vested interest in the ward, that you have a very good chance of being elected as coucillor for ward 7.

I have PM'd you my adress, please feel free to drop a sign on my lawn

Regards,

Chris W.
      Thanks Chris, we always appreciate the sign requests & will get one out to you in the next few days- we are the only campaign in Ward 7 that is actually obeying the sign bylaw (and therefore aren't spamming parks and roadway medians/traffic islands in the way some of my competitors are) and so we're always happy when we can get our signs out on to people's lawns.

More about our policy on signs can be found in a blog post by Brian here: http://brendanvanalstine.ca/blog/?p=662
      www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan's Campaign Team View Post
        Originally posted by KingswayGuy View Post
        Hey Brendan, I would be willing to have one of your campaign signs up on either my fence or front lawn. I live right across the street from a voting station so it could be advantageous.

Hi KingswayGuy,

Signs can be requested at http://brendanvanalstine.ca/?p=signs or you can just PM me your address (and quantity if applicable - we have another near-polling station corner spot with four signs, but that's going above and beyond).

We're generally staying out of the sign war, especially the illegal sign war (less than three meters from curb = illegal, next to park = illegal, traffic islands = illegal) that's going on north of the Yellowhead and along some of the other streets with service roads, so every lawn sign helps!

Thanks everyone!

Also, while I'm in here, I should mention that we have a campaign video up at http://brendanvanalstine.ca/blog/?p=582 and are proud to note that Brendan is now endorsed by David Eggen in addition to Michael Phair and Dave Thiele.

Well I'm right across the street from Montrose school as well as another park on the other side of the street (I live on the corner). So based on what you said, maybe this can't work unfortunately.
        Last edited by Montrosian; 30-09-2010, 02:25 PM.
        Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Comment

^Thanks!

Just to clarify, the city says there are no restrictions on campaign signs on private property (I assume if it was big enough they'd change their stance, but I digress). If there's a fence, we can try to stick it on the fence or put it just outside on the street side - whatever you think will work.

Comment

Brendan, I will be voting for you and have put in a request for a sign.

Although this isnt a local issue persay, I would like to know your stance on marijuana and the legalization movement. I am active in a legalization group with Edmonton 420 and we often host public protests / demonstrations which includes open marijuana consumption. We havent been met with the greatest welcome from city hall, although up to this point, we have been tolerated.

Further the issue has been brought up of paraphernalia stores on 118 Avenue as a source of problems. I would argue that these stores do not cause any problems and removing them or getting them to stop selling items in questions is a band-aid solution and not addressing any real issues.

Thanks and I wish you the best! You truly are the best choice for community representation in this ward.
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
              Brendan, I will be voting for you and have put in a request for a sign.

Although this isnt a local issue persay, I would like to know your stance on marijuana and the legalization movement. I am active in a legalization group with Edmonton 420 and we often host public protests / demonstrations which includes open marijuana consumption. We havent been met with the greatest welcome from city hall, although up to this point, we have been tolerated.

Further the issue has been brought up of paraphernalia stores on 118 Avenue as a source of problems. I would argue that these stores do not cause any problems and removing them or getting them to stop selling items in questions is a band-aid solution and not addressing any real issues.

Thanks and I wish you the best! You truly are the best choice for community representation in this ward.
              Legalization is definitely not a municipal issue, so all I will say on that is that in my experience, particularly in the 4 years that I worked in the field of addictions, our current prohibitionist approach to drug policy is clearly not working. Overall as a social worker, I think incorporating a stronger harm-reduction component to drug policy could be beneficial, but again, that's for the federal government to decide.

I am very much aware of the concerns of the communities when it comes to the availability of drug paraphernalia (whether pot or otherwise) along the avenue. I tend to agree that banning the sale of such items in one area or another does little to prevent or solve the overall problem of drug use. That being said, I also appreciate why, in areas which have historically been stressed by problems of crime, prostitution and drug use, communities are not eager to see a readily available supply of drug paraphernalia, weapons etc in their local dollar store.
              www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

At least he didn't call them "those people".

Brendan,

I received a flyer in the mail this morning, from a different candidate in ward 7, and I was wondering if you could comment on it, and answer a question. Here's what was printed on it:

"Over the years, the residents of ward 7 have tolerated increased development of social and non-market housing in the the area. It's time these projects are distributed evenly across other wards."

My question is this; is it just me, or is this candidate implying that not only is social housing something that must be tolerated, (instead of say, encouraged), but that that tolerance has limits, and that somehow this types of developments must, by definition, be bad for an area?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
                  Brendan,

I received a flyer in the mail this morning, from a different candidate in ward 7, and I was wondering if you could comment on it, and answer a question. Here's what was printed on it:

"Over the years, the residents of ward 7 have tolerated increased development of social and non-market housing in the the area. It's time these projects are distributed evenly across other wards."

My question is this; is it just me, or is this candidate implying that not only is social housing something that must be tolerated, (instead of say, encouraged), but that that tolerance has limits, and that somehow this types of developments must, by definition, be bad for an area?
                  It's unfortunately that the implication there is that social housing is something to be tolerated, and only tolerated to a certain degree. While I disagree that such projects are, by definition, bad for an area, I do tend to agree that north-central Edmonton (including many parts of ward 7) has certainly received more than its fair share of social housing/social services, and my experience has been that ghettoizing high-needs people does no favours for either the communities affected, nor the people who require the support.

I would like to see the city pursue a policy of more equitable distribution of social housing throughout the city, though I will not take the hard-line stance that Mr. Caterina has and call for a moratorium of social housing in the ward.
                  Last edited by Brendan; 06-10-2010, 01:51 PM.
                  www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

Brendan, I've worked closely with several non-market housing organizations who are either planning or building non-market housing in Parkdale and Alberta Avenue. One of the things we are trying to emphesize to these groups is that the quality of their projects must be better from an architectural perspective, so that they are not readily idenitifiable as non-market housing and blend in with the neighborhood. Some developers complain that better design and asthetics takes away from their core principles of housing people. We've had to fight some housing proposals based on that criteria. One of the most common complaints I hear about the projects in our area is that they look terrible and do not enhance the public realm around them.

Further to the question posted above If elected as councillor in ward 7 would you be in favor of enacting some level of standards for non-market housing to provide structures that are more complimentary to the surrounding neighborhood, even if that means that the economics of some projects may not be viable with these standards in place ?
                    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^ Which projects do you consider substandard? 100 years of evolution has produced a lot of diversity in Alberta Avenue, so with the exception of front garages and driveways (which aren't generally associated with non-market housing), not much looks "out of place" to me.

Off hand, I can recall two non-market projects near me, an EICHS project on 95 St and 113 Av consisting of 2 fourplexes, and a Habitat for Humanity? (IIRC) build on 96 St and 114 Av consisting of 3 triplexes. The only architectural issue I have with these is that they chose to build multiple identical buildings rather than maintaining diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                        Brendan, I've worked closely with several non-market housing organizations who are either planning or building non-market housing in Parkdale and Alberta Avenue. One of the things we are trying to emphesize to these groups is that the quality of their projects must be better from an architectural perspective, so that they are not readily idenitifiable as non-market housing and blend in with the neighborhood. Some developers complain that better design and asthetics takes away from their core principles of housing people. We've had to fight some housing proposals based on that criteria. One of the most common complaints I hear about the projects in our area is that they look terrible and do not enhance the public realm around them.

Further to the question posted above If elected as councillor in ward 7 would you be in favor of enacting some level of standards for non-market housing to provide structures that are more complimentary to the surrounding neighborhood, even if that means that the economics of some projects may not be viable with these standards in place ?
                        Sorry for the delay in replying to this - busy busy week as I'm sure you can guess. I think the city could do more to improve æsthetic/architectural standards & diversity regardless of whether the project is market or non-market (there are a lot of places on Edmonton where the market housing I see being built causes the song "Little Boxes" by Malvina Reynolds start playing in my head)
                        www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
                          Executive Director
                          Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Working...
                          X