Candidate Brendan Van Alstine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate Brendan Van Alstine

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Brendan Van Alstine – Councillor Ward 7.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
    Ow

Just got home from the Candidates' Forum - had a great time & hope lots of people got to catch it either in person or online.

I'm looking forward to starting this dialog and hearing your questions, comments and concerns!

Also feel free to check out my campaign page & blog on http://BrendanVanAlstine.ca for more information on myself, the campaign and where I stand on the issues.
    Last edited by Brendan; 21-09-2010, 09:49 PM.
    www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

Good day Brendan,

What is your stance on The Cromdale Hotel. It has been a blight on 118th. Ave. for such a long time. Do you think a levy or fine should be imposed on the owners of establishments that do nothing but bring neighbourhoods down. Would you implement a Municipal law where the city could demolish such buildings and send the bill to the owner. If the owner does not pay the bill the city takes the land.
      It seems now there is another property that is going the same way, namely The Beverly Motel. What would be your solution for these properties.

Thank you and I wish you well in your run for council.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
        Good day Brendan,

What is your stance on The Cromdale Hotel. It has been a blight on 118th. Ave. for such a long time. Do you think a levy or fine should be imposed on the owners of establishments that do nothing but bring neighbourhoods down. Would you implement a Municipal law where the city could demolish such buildings and send the bill to the owner. If the owner does not pay the bill the city takes the land.
        It seems now there is another property that is going the same way, namely The Beverly Motel. What would be your solution for these properties.

Thank you and I wish you well in your run for council.
        Good question. I think it's worth pointing out that I was among the many community members who spoke at the community standards quasi-judicial hearing in favour of the demolition of the Cromdale Hotel last March - and it's safe to say that based on all the facts that I've seen, I stand by my desire to see the building torn down.

With regard to supporting a municipal law - the province's Municipal Government Act does contain provisions to help cities to deal with unsightly/problem properties, and it was these provisions were invoked when the demolition order first came down. While it has been an unfortunately long and drawn-out process, the city is, in the end, bound by this provincial legislation.

With the Beverly motel, it was the provincial Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods legislation that was used to close it down, the legislation provides for 30 days for the owners to clean up their act and re-open, and so while I could speculate on what might happen, the order came down at the beginning of this month, so I think it's perhaps best if I not jump the gun and wait to see what happens when that 30 day period has expired..
        www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

It looks as thought they are renovating the Beverly motel. I drove by last week and there were several dumpters full, and the parking lot was piled high with what looked like the rooms contents.

Comment

All,

Please use this space to ask the candidate specific questions on his platform, or make professional comments to the same.

Discussing the merits of a specific building can happen elsewhere.
            Ow

Comment

Brendan recently completed the "Cycling Issues in Edmonton" questionnaire at http://cycleedmonton.ca/the-candidat...n-van-alstine/

Re-posted below for your interest:

> 1. Do you ride a bicycle? For leisure? Exercise? Commuting? How often?

Cycle both for commuting (year-round) as my main form of transportation & for leisure (mainly summer time)

> 2. Similarly, do you walk or take transit? How often?

Transit and walking are the ways I get around when cycling is not an attractive option (or for multi-modal trips IE bike on LRT etc). I am car-free.

> 3. Do you feel comfortable/safe riding on the road with traffic?

Largely yes, though improved cycling infrastructure (such as bike lanes on major roadway corridors) would certainly help me to feel safer. That being said, I recognize that bike lanes on major roadways aren’t going to be enough for all ages and abilities to ride safely and comfortably, and we will need to consider separated facilities and improved “bicycle boulevard” type neighbourhood street routes.

> 4. How do you celebrate Bike Month (June) in Edmonton?

Every month is bike month for me, but this year I helped organize the Every Day Challenge as part of the City’s Commuter Challenge events during bike month.

> 5. The number of cyclists in this city grew over 150% between 1994 and 2005, with over 25,000 trips made daily by bicycle, and we’ve seen even more rapid growth since 2005. Last year, City Council moved to earmark 5% of the Transportation Capital Budget toward Active Transportation Projects. This falls short of the 10% required to complete the bicycle and sidewalk strategies, and delays their completion for 25-50 years. What are your spending priorities in relation to active transportation?

I would like to see the city earmark more resources to improve walking, cycling, transit and multi-modal transportation to help reduce our car-dependence. Historical underfunding unfortunately puts us in a position of playing catch-up, but bicycling infrastructure is one of the most cost-effective ways to spend transportation dollars.

> 6. The 10-year Bicycle Transportation Plan calls for bikeways to be constructed across the city, making safe paths within neighbourhoods and connecting them to a City-wide network of bike corridors. Nearly 500 km of bikeways, covering the entire city, can be built for less than the cost of a single overpass. Given that cycling reduces the use of single-occupant vehicles, easing congestion and freeing parking spaces, and builds stronger, healthier communities, and is extremely cost-effective: *would you commit to fully-funding the Bicycle Transportation Plan (BTP) if elected?*

Yes, absolutely

> 7. Which specific departments and branches do you feel have a say in cycling issues? Who needs to be at the table to coordinate an effective strategy?

Transportation, obviously, and as part of that ETS should be at the table to ensure multi-modal concerns are taken care of. Planning & Development should play a role just as it should in transit decisions: we need bicycle-oriented development as well as transit- and pedestrian-oriented. Additionally, Capital Construction and Asset Management would help ensure that projects are well managed and take advantage of regular road maintenance cycles (and parkland). In addition to these, various community and transportation advocacy groups should also be invited to the table.

> 8. Edmonton Zoning Bylaw #12800 includes requirements for bicycle parking. Unfortunately, this requirement is minimal, only applies to developments since 2001, and isn’t always enforced, leaving the city with inadequate bike parking. Secure parking facilities are critical for cyclists, as bicycles are easy targets for thieves. About 10 bicycles can be parked in the space of a single car-parking stall. What is your opinion on car & bicycle parking requirements, especially in the downtown and also in new, mid- and high-density redevelopments?

We absolutely need more secure bicycle parking throughout the city, the city strictly enforces car parking requirements for new businesses and developments (which, in my opinion, are often excessive) and I don’t see why bicycle parking requirements are not enforced similarly. The city should also work with existing businesses to improve bicycle parking where it does not already exist.

> 9. Most cities our size have a municipal education program to help residents, businesses and institutions choose healthy, active modes of transportation. Despite a visible increase in the number of cyclists in Edmonton, the City Transportation branch currently has no education programs for cyclists. How would you (or the administration) encourage more people to choose a bike over a private automobile?

Education is one of the critical “4 Es” that the city needs to be addressing to increase ridership (Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Evaluation & Planning)

> 10. Do you have a recent photo of yourself riding your bicycle? Please send it to us digitally!

Yes, attached is one of myself and my campaign volunteers with our bikes all decked out in election signs

Comment

Terrific! I'd vote for you, if I was in your ward. Perfect candidate for me. Thanks Brendan. Now get off the computer and get out there door knocking. You can do it!
                aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks, Jim, I was hoping you'd see this one. It's a little early for door-knocking and Brendan's at his weekly volunteer shift at the Carrot while I hold the fort - but now that you mention it, we're door-knocking evenings and weekends, and would love more enthusiastic volunteers such as yourself. Sign-up information available at http://brendanvanalstine.ca/?p=volunteer

Comment

It looks like the video of Tuesday night's Ward 7 forum is now available online at http://events.statusfirm.com/browse/.../ward-7-forum/

You can find Brendan's opening comments (a summary of his platform and background) at the 25 minute mark.

Comment

Do you have any concerns about Scott McKeen's entry into the ring? My concern is a split of the left leaning vote which would let Caterina snake past. Thoughts?
                      $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Originally posted by jstock View Post
                        Do you have any concerns about Scott McKeen's entry into the ring? My concern is a split of the left leaning vote which would let Caterina snake past. Thoughts?
                        Overall I'm not overly concerned with the idea of "vote-splitting" - Mr. McKeen and I are two very different candidates. Ward 7 is absolutely a three-way race (this sentiment has been echoed by some local media, strangely not the Journal though ) and is definitely one of the wards to keep an eye on this election.
                        www.BrendanVanAlstine.ca

Comment

Hey Brendan, I would be willing to have one of your campaign signs up on either my fence or front lawn. I live right across the street from a voting station so it could be advantageous.

Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Comment

Originally posted by KingswayGuy View Post
                            Hey Brendan, I would be willing to have one of your campaign signs up on either my fence or front lawn. I live right across the street from a voting station so it could be advantageous.

Hi KingswayGuy,

Signs can be requested at http://brendanvanalstine.ca/?p=signs or you can just PM me your address (and quantity if applicable - we have another near-polling station corner spot with four signs, but that's going above and beyond).

We're generally staying out of the sign war, especially the illegal sign war (less than three meters from curb = illegal, next to park = illegal, traffic islands = illegal. EDIT: I am referring to public property, not private property. As long as it's on private property with permission, it's good.) that's going on north of the Yellowhead and along some of the other streets with service roads, so every lawn sign helps!

Thanks everyone!

Also, while I'm in here, I should mention that we have a campaign video up at http://brendanvanalstine.ca/blog/?p=582 and are proud to note that Brendan is now endorsed by David Eggen in addition to Michael Phair and Dave Thiele.
                            Last edited by Brendan's Campaign Team; 30-09-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: Clarifying that rules only apply to public property.

Comment

Hi Brendan,

I've carefuly considered all the candidates for ward 7, I will stick with my initial impressions and believe you are the best fit for the job. (your advocacy for cycling sealed the deal!) I also believe that due to the frustration directed towards the incumbent and the anger at one of your running mates who does not have a vested interest in the ward, that you have a very good chance of being elected as coucillor for ward 7.

I have PM'd you my adress, please feel free to drop a sign on my lawn

Regards,

Chris W.
                              Last edited by 240GLT; 29-09-2010, 12:01 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
                              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X