Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Thanks for your kind words. I think about 40 candidates could profit by them as well.

My signs were collected first thing Tuesday morning. I won that race anyway. About 72 are missing, presumed dead.

It was an interesting month. I woke up early every day and felt involved in something useful and important. I could read on this forum that others felt that way as well. I'm having withdrawal symptoms now and the immediate future seems so hum-drum.

I have a hard time understanding the voters. It seems they see the people who have the job as the 'boss' and just show support for them. At the Mayors forum, Mandel was blasted by all, while people cheered. And yet he got back in easily. The people on the web, the people at forums, and the people that vote are three different groups.
    I called this a job application. It really does seem to be one. You wait until 'the boss' retires and the one who has run most often gets the position. That's how Caterina got in, and most others.
    But it seems to be missing the point of democracy.
    Voter turnout went up from 27% to 34.3%. Not much to brag about. And nothing changed, except for a few new faces. Good luck to them. But next time people will say 'what's the point?'

My campaign had several problems. Posters were late and pricey. Flyer delivery was spotty, and my message had a dull edge. And I was a public unknown. Don't be an unknown. Be a media darling.

I guess I'll be doing something. I'm resilient if nothing else. I have no idea right now what that will be. But as another Austrian says;

I'll Be Back.

Leave a comment:

• Mimi Williams
    replied
    Mr. Rolls, I do not know you but you've touched me this morning. I've lost a few City Council election campaigns in my life and it's a pretty awful feeling the next day but please know that you have nothing to be humiliated about or embarrassed by. You did your best. If you know that, then keep your head high, lick your wounds, go take your signs down and find a way to channel your energy that will do some good in our communities. I know you are quite passionate about community leagues. Why don't you give yours another chance. All of the leagues are run by volunteers and I'm sure they could find a place to use your skills and your energy. If that's not up your alley, try the Bigs, they always need good people to help (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) and there is always another youth in our city that could benefit from someone who cares about them, even if it is just for an hour a week.

Thank you for putting it on the line for all of us, Mr. Rolls. No, you didn't get my vote but that doesn't mean that I don't value your efforts. I do and I know that there are many others who do, too. It is appreciated. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Well, I guess I got my butt kicked. With the polls coming in I'm at about 10% of Caterina.

It's embarrassing and somewhat humiliating, after all the effort I put into it. I'm just slightly above Pullishy, who was invisible.

And yet my policies, statements, and ideas were important, mooched by others, and led to damage control by many in power.
    Now with the old guard back in, I suppose they will whither and die on the vine.

I didn't connect with the typical voter, who still appears to be retired people. They didn't know me, and usually vote safe. It takes a lot of work to get through to them, and I didn't get it done. They aren't web savvy, and I wasn't in the papers, and when I was the articles were taking little digs at me.
    As I look at this forum there is rarely a correlation between web popularity and votes. Even so my results are below par. If other candidates did worse than me I feel sorry for them. But, all together we raised the turnout to 41%. That's something I guess.

Tony ran a clean campaign, had the benefit of being incumbent, and dumb luck, with other candidates fighting amongst themselves for 2nd place. Better the devil you know....

Meanwhile the 'media darling' did dirty tricks, grabbed platforms from others, and chased votes any way possible, because he says Tony C wasn't nice. So long Pumpkinhead, I'm glad you lost. You gave up everything and got nothing. And spent way more than me.

And just to round it out, I don't think Van Alstine will ever win in this ward. It's too blue collar.

I want to thank those who helped me and those who had the faith to vote for me. I'm sorry I didn't do more for you. I hate failing. TerryRolls

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Sunday Oct 17 2010

Well, this is it. The end of the longest job application I ever had. All day, every day, for a month or more. Did I impress the bosses?

I ran a clean campaign, but fought back when attacked. I ran a good campaign, with the budget I had.
    Many of the solutions I brought up have been adopted by others. So they agree the people must like them. But would they stick to them or just fall back into old habits? For three years there was no contact with the people. Will anything change?

Redevelopment of older areas is the vital key to avoiding slums. When a school closes that area is on a one way street toward the ghetto. If enrollment drops at a school, it's a sign to re-do the neighborhood, not shut the school.
    Incentives like lower taxes for older neighborhoods and grant programs would help rebuild for young families, and keep the area pleasant for current residents.

Community Leagues also need to adapt to be more useful to the people that surround them. A few do nothing at all, and get paid to do it.

Some candidates don't live in the Ward and keep preaching about mega-projects outside the Ward. Meanwhile there are many empty lots, closed businesses, and projects that have been stalled for years, such as the Gretzky/Yellowhead area.

Instead, projects like an Arena or the Airport get pushed by the press.
    The Arena should be paid for by rich people, not the poor. The Airport should have the input of the people. It's too big to have a few businessmen decide on our land use. Sure they had the legal right to ignore the petition. But it takes a long time to get the public working together. And when they do, they got ignored.
    How about putting the arena at the airport?

Epcor, owned by Edmonton, had its' assets sold to another company with the same Board. They say nothing funny is involved. But then why do it? There's something funky there.

I have been to other forums and heard many speak out that it is a time of greater involvement by the people, and a time to take back our city for the benefit of ourselves.

Ward 7 is a working persons area. I was blue collar for many years and I'm not ashamed of it. Yet I've also worked in Government many years and know how it works.
    Many years ago I had a summer job as a garbage-man. I still know how to clean out the garbage.
    Last edited by Terry Rolls; 17-10-2010, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    All candidates have signs on public property, and have permission to do so. And they all seem to have the same little metal legs on them. So why would any one candidates fly around more than the other? The signs I have on private property have never disappeared.

Now there are passerby who pull anyones sign. But when ALL the signs except one candidates are GONE, and gone repeatedly, then that's no random act. Maybe it's an artiste who only likes one colour combination. But I don't think so.

For me the sign problem ended a week ago. I got pro-active and problem solving, and created some Super-Signs. Using recycled materials such as snow fence poles and plywood, a prototype was made and put in a hot zone. It lasted for a few days. They couldn't pull out the pole but they tore the plywood right off the screws and took it.
    This also proved it wasn't the wind or a random passerby.
    The weak points were modified and a few dozen have been field tested for over a week now. The only problem is I have no idea how to get them out.

Why must the Edmonton and District Labour Council endorse one candidate? Why not two? Or four? It's an insult to dozens of candidates of every Ward.

I was a Teamster, but still get newsletters. Maybe once a Teamster, always a Teamster? And AUPE, CUPE, and a few others. I'm not ashamed of doing actual work. Are you saying that a Labour Board would be against Union Workers, or are you?

Leave a comment:

• Mimi Williams
    replied
    Mr. Rolls, perhaps if your signs were on people's lawns (with their permission) they wouldn't go missing? I have watched your signs fly across 82nd Street during rush hour traffic. There's still one survivor at around 129 Avenue but I expect if the wind picks up, it too will take flight.

With respect to the Edmonton and District Labour Council endorsements, I think you need to put some things in perspective. They can only endorse one candidate per ward. (I understand they endorsed nobody in Ward 2). This doesn't mean that the other candidates are anti-anything. Perhaps the fact that you don't even know if you are a member of the Teamsters Union (you posted this above) might have something to do with the fact that labour didn't endorse you. I don't know this, of course, but it might be salient.

No questions today as I've made my decisions about voting already, but thought I'd just offer my observation as an engaged Ward 7 voter.

Regards.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Rant Number Two

I just read a flyer from an opponent. Kind of strange to have a new flyer so late. But there were some good ideas....
    Probably because they were MY ideas, straight from my site and here, put in point form. Schools closing, community leagues, infill housing and more. And what wasn't taken from me came from other candidates. I heard Dromarsky speak of some last night, and they are in his thread weeks ago.
    Previously the airport project was his answer to every ill. Now it isn't even mentioned. So either he's swaying with the breeze or faking it.
    I guess imitation is the sincerest form of desperation. He's got nothing to say, and wants to improve things by cheating his way to victory.

As Shakespeare said: "A Rolls by any other name...is still a Rolls."

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    I just returned from the Mayors Debate. There were some surprisingly good speeches and ideas there from most candidates. Two had their choo-choos come off the tracks. A couple had good starts then went bad.
    A fellow near me yelled out comments now and then, such as 'that's right', or 'shame!'. Halfway through Dorwards' speech he yells out 'OBAMA!'. Everyone broke up.
    Mandel spoke first, then got the short end of the pointy stick.

Many people said that several would have made great councilors.

One of the handouts, from the Labour Congress, says that only 1 candidate per ward supports working families. Apparently I hate working families. And clean water. And Education.
    I've been lamenting closed schools since Day One but I don't support Education, they say. What a crock. And I'll bet I've done more labour and been in more Unions than the ones who put the pamphlet together.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Well, that gets into personalities, and a candidate isn't supposed to go there.

But...

Last week I was canvassing "someplace" unannounced and walked into a room full of people who were waiting for someone. They said "here he is" then "no that's not him". Turns out they were waiting for Dorward to speak, and he was right behind me. I introduced myself and he brought me in and let me hand out flyers and speak to the crowd.

There's no hard facts there, but it was nice of him.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    Terry, I'll toss out a question so you don't have to keep talking to yourself.

If elected as a member of council, who would you like to work with in the mayor's office, and why?

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Hinderks
    replied
    Terry

"You've been directed to ask? That kind of mixes candidate and business spokesman."

Yes it does, but no more than if I was driving cab I would be a Cab Driver and Candidate.

I am employed by the Aviation Museum at the moment and as such I do my duty to the best of my ability...its my responsibility.

If elected I would not be the Executive Director of the Museum and not directed by them...I would be directed and represent the residents of Ward 2 and if they voted to close the Airport I would support it...it would be my responsibility.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    You've been directed to ask? That kind of mixes candidate and business spokesman. How unusual.
    If you are voted in where would your loyalties lie? Would you close the airport if the Ward wanted it closed?

I've been to the museum and liked it. And I'm sure it would be kept. Of course planes couldn't fly in if the runway was gone. But there might be a chance to expand the collection before it would close, if it closes..

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Hinderks
    replied
    The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    I started looking at School Trustee candidates. Their maps are different than ours. By cross-referencing I have gotten the following.

In Public School, most of Ward 7 is in Ward D, except Killarney, Glengarry, and Northmount are in Ward A, and Balwin, Delwood, and Kildare are in Ward B.

In Catholic School, All of Ward 7 is in Ward 73, except Killarney, Glengarry, and Northmount are in Ward 72.

Not much participation on the forum. I don't really know much about any of them, except for that whole school closing thing.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Rolls
    replied
    Since I'm talking to myself here;

Demolition Order of Cromdale Hotel Upheld in Court

October 08, 2010

The Court of Queen’s Bench has sided with a City of Edmonton order to demolish the Cromdale Hotel in the city’s northeast (82 Street, 118 Avenue).

The City had issued a demolition order a year ago (October 23, 2009) on the basis that the Cromdale, vacant since 2004, was in an unsightly condition and was detrimental to the surrounding neighbourhood.

The owner appealed the order, but the City’s Community Standards and Licence Appeal Committee agreed with the demolition order (March 12, 2010); that decision was upheld in a ruling released today by the Court of Queen’s Bench.

“This is a win for the city and for the neighbourhood around the Cromdale,” says Ryan Pleckaitis, Acting Director, Complaints and Investigation Section, Community Standards Branch. “We’re pleased that the Justice agreed with our position that demolition was the only viable alternative to alleviate the detriment to the surrounding area.”

“The Cromdale has been the site of illegal activity for some time,” Pleckaitis adds, “and the building has undergone significant physical deterioration. We need to be able to create and enforce conditions that make for a safe and livable community.”

The Municipal Government Act authorizes the city to issue demolition orders against property owners in appropriate circumstances.

The owner of the Cromdale can still appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal.
    Fantastic. That dump should have been gone 20 years ago. It's absence will be a big step to reviving the surrounding community. The nearby Church closed after 93 years and Eastwood school was shutdown after 87. Finally something that deserves it will be gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X