No announcement yet.

Candidate Terry Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not quite satisfied by this. Before I go to vote, I do my best figuring out which of the candidates is best able to make good choices. If a candidate tells me that (s)he doesn't want to make any choices, then I have to question the participation in the election. At least another council hopeful Roxie Malone-Richards realizes that she would have to ask for a pay cut as, like you, she wants to defer decisions to plebiscites. But she only wants a 5.5% pay cut for a position with little to no responsibilities in council. I think that is too little of a cut.

So then I do have to ask:

What will council's job entail if all big decisions are made by the people?
    Why not then eliminate council and mayor positions altogether and run the city with city administration and planning only?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Rolls View Post
      The City uses paper ballots, but they are immediately scanned into a computer while the voter waits. The prov and feds use paper counted by people.
      Yes, computer voting is a ways off. But they will think of a fraud proof internet ....someday. Imagine not having politicians at all. Everyone discusses it and makes a decision.

The majority probably won't vote this time. That doesn't mean they don't want Democracy. That doesn't mean the Right to Vote should be taken away.
      All we know with the petition was that they didn't sign. That doesn't give any indication what way they feel about it. Except lazy.

How many signatures? How about at what size? The bigger the project the more the people have a right to decide because the more it will affect them and their city.
      The majority may want democracy, but they still don't care enough to make their voices heard if they don't vote. Who said they shouldn't retain that right?

I didn't sign the petition. You're already indicated your belief that I'm well-informed... What does that say about the petition? Or are you calling me lazy?

As for your questions, I refer you to the Municipal Government Act. The rules are quite clear.
      "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

terry... you just don't get it. there is no "fraud proof method" when it comes to internet voting. id theft is common across the web. who's to say that someone won't "steal" the voting info from an elderly relative, for example, and vote three, four or more times.

with the current system, it's one person in one voting booth. they will never allow two people into a voting booth.

and california is the PERFECT example of why plebiscites don't work. you turn into a banana republic. special interest groups hi-jack the scene (hello envision edmonton) and the real issues are not studied/ debated.

our democracy (at the local level) works. get over it. and you wanna know something, if you were in my ward, i'd never vote for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by grish View Post

What will council's job entail if all big decisions are made by the people?
          Why not then eliminate council and mayor positions altogether and run the city with city administration and planning only?
          Damn good idea.

and california is the PERFECT example of why plebiscites don't work. you turn into a banana republic. special interest groups hi-jack the scene (hello envision edmonton) and the real issues are not studied/ debated.
          But people say that is happening now, with this system.
          Vote for who you feel will best represent you. Turning this into a forum slap fight just makes both sides look stupid. I won't play along. That's my choice.

Comment

4. Epcor. While all this dog and pony show is going on Epcor has not been spoken of. Epcor was a very profitable City Owned Utility. Now a big chunk of Epcor was sold off to another company, with cash coming in but also somewhat worthless stock that has no market value as is. And the executives are the same on both Boards. Hmmmmm.
            http://crr.epcor.ca/Pages/default.aspx

Terry, are you familiar with the limitations imposed upon municipalities under the MGA insofar as how much credit they can leverage vs their income provided via taxation? Also, are you familiar with the current cost of a modern, environmentally-compliant, major generation facility? Perhaps you should look into those two little pieces of information before coming down on EPCOR as some sort of civic Snidely Whiplash, tying taxpayers to the tracks.

As an aside, no change will be made in regards to the planned dividend payment (roughly equivalent to ~28% of residential property taxes) by EPCOR to its sole shareholder, the City of Edmonton for 2010. As to the impropriety allueded to by the Board of Directors, from the annual report linked above: "The Board is made up of 12 business leaders from British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, appointed by our sole Shareholder, the City of Edmonton. There are no EPCOR employees, City employees or elected representatives on the Board." EPCOR employees do sit on the Capital Power board, as befits the fact that EPCOR owns 70% of the company. Unless you'd prefer they not manage their affairs?

(Once again, EPCOR employee, speaking entirely on my own behalf. No endorsement of/by/for the company intended or implied.)
            Last edited by noodle; 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM. Reason: Added Board of Directors bit lost somehow on initial posting.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I always want to hear both sides. But in this case the two sides seem very far from each other. They have to be merged into one reality.

"appointed by our sole Shareholder, the City of Edmonton" This part bothers me. I read it as 'rich guys promoting rich guys'.

"Unless you'd prefer they not manage their affairs?" But they don't. Business leaders from British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario do.

Comment

You didn't answer my questions regarding your level of awareness regarding municipal finances or the cost of running and operating a company that builds and operates generating stations & instead chose to focus on a statement that actually means the only entity that gets any profits from EPCOR is the City of Edmonton. Not some "rich guy". The city.

The boards of both EPCOR and Capital Power are both publicly available information. Please, feel free to point out the colluders and conspirators in this situation. EPCOR has won awards for its corporate governance on numerous occasions.

I do appreciate the time you spent answering me during the busy campaign and for letting everyone know your stance on this important issue.
                Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

How many signatures? How about at what size? The bigger the project the more the people have a right to decide because the more it will affect them and their city.
                  Huh? So you want the number of votes to be dependent upon the scale of the project? Who decides the scale, council, or the voters? Should we have votes to determine the scale of the project, which will be used to determine the number of votes needed to continue with a project? Would these votes happen before, or after council votes on something? Sorry, trying to figure out how many times a single project would have to be voted on.

1. Council votes on a project. If accepted, go to number 2.
                  2. Voters (or council) votes on the size of the project to determine scale
                  3. Once scale of project is determined (using numerical, or alphabetical scale??) the number of votes by the citizens in order to proceed will be determined, and voting will occur.

Yes, please, sign me up for that!
                  They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

No, the size would be predetermined. Perhaps in land size. Perhaps in cost. Perhaps a combination of factors. If over a certain set of conditions, then the people must be involved. Council would have no vote first. But they could have afterwards.

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                    ... instead chose to focus on a statement that actually means the only entity that gets any profits from EPCOR is the City of Edmonton. Not some "rich guy". The city. .....
                    So why are they in it? The goodness of their heart? A need to do good works? You get paid. So do they. They don't get to be 'top business-leaders' by giving it away.

Comment

So why are they in it? The goodness of their heart? A need to do good works? You get paid. So do they. They don't get to be 'top business-leaders' by giving it away.
                      So we're supposed to all be volunteers?

EPCOR has to file the salaries and wages of their employees & executives as part of the routine semi-annual filing of the entirety of the regulated business that determines the electricity and water rates for the ratepayers. These breakdowns, including salaries and wages, have been deemed appropriate and reasonable by the regulator. If you have a concern regarding the wages, by all means, register as an intervenor in the next hearings and perhaps the regulator will address your concerns.

EPCOR has provided over a billion dollars to the City through the annual dividend. That's what we "give away". EPCOR retains 70% control of Capital Power currently. EPCOR may sell portions as required in order to help the company grow appropriately & to fund acquisitions and future projects without having to rely on the shared financing situation with the City that occurs due to EPCOR being wholly owned by the City and the City having limitations imposed on it by the MGA. (I've mentioned this before but you didn't seem to address that, so I felt it was worth repeating.)

You certainly seem to have an axe to grind Terry. I would highly recommend you get a basis in business and utility regulation before you continue to spout conspiracy theories and allegations of impropriety regarding EPCOR. The fact you think my salary is "given" to me is highly insulting. I earn my wage, thank you sir.

Comment

You said all the profits go to Edmonton. I said the execs are in it for the money.

How's that an ax to grind?

So are you an exec defending yourself? You certainly sound defensive.

Comment

I was at the Candi[date] at MacKewan last night. Then today it was a Library lunch. And searching for Signs in between. [they tend to disappear.]

The Library is semi-autonomous. The City tells them how much money they get, but they decide how to spend it.
                          So I asked them what they thought of this new plan in answer to my complaints of schools closing, that would bring libraries into the buildings.
                          They said that they wait until an area gets an increase of 20 to 30,000 people before putting in a branch, and then it has to be 5 Km from any other branch.
                          That would exclude old schools. So this new plan is just political smoke.

Comment

You said all the profits go to Edmonton. I said the execs are in it for the money.

How's that an ax to grind?

So are you an exec defending yourself? You certainly sound defensive.
                            I'm a low-rung union employee, with around a decade of seniority, trying to correct your inaccuracies and fallacies regarding the CPC/EPCOR split. I wouldn't need to repeat myself and come off to you as defensive if you had the appropriate knowledge and understanding.

You're the one who brought it up as a campaign issue after the deal is done and the courts have had their say. That certainly seems like at least a fixation. I was just responding to the aforementioned inaccuracies in your platform piece as a service to those who are in your ward.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I'm not anti-employee. I was a Teamster. [or maybe I still am.] But I have nothing to gain either way. The side of the residents is the side I worry about.

Something must have changed or they wouldn't have done it. Like so many things, both sides have to merged somehow to get a clear reality.

Comment

Signs, signs,
                                everywhere are signs,
                                blocking out the scenery,
                                messing my mind....

Like the old song says, it's sign time.

Busted and missing signs are a constant problem. Some must be caused by goofy passerby. Others must be caused by zealots.
                                I know of a few places where everyones sign get quickly destroyed except one candidate. Hmmm. That's not the right way to win, no matter who did it.

Stranger still is that some of my signs change location on their own. They go missing but show up somewhere else, stuck in the ground properly. Maybe they can walk on those little metal legs. Bylaw called me once to say a sign was illegal and was taken by them. But I had no record of it being put there.
                                Maybe in the future it will be all digital signs. Or maybe some entrepreneur would have billboards that flash all the candidates messages, for a price.

Comment

Working...
                                X