Candidate Terry Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate Terry Rolls

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Terry Rolls – Councillor Ward 7.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
    Ow

Hi there. Terry Rolls here. Terryr on most forums on the web. www.terryrolls.org

The first thing to note is that the Ward 7 debate is on tonight.

The Candidates Debate for Ward 7 will be Tuesday Sept. 21 7:00P.M. at St. Bernadette Elementary School 11917 - 40 St.

You can also ask questions and watch online at;
    http://events.statusfirm.com/browse/.../ward-7-forum/

Comment

Well, I just got back from the Debate. I knew I could never be as slick as the incumbent, but I wish I was a little more polished.
      Several strangers said I did a good job, but then you never tell the ugly kid that they're ugly.

Anyone see it?

Comment

There were about 80 people there and a few were quite vocal. Many had strong opinions on various subjects.
        Like the Toastmaster said, this is the Core and Heart of Democracy.

I say if politicians had to face this once a month they would behave better.

The last election had about a 27% turnout. Let's bump it up a few notches this time.

Comment

I was at the Ward 3 Forum last night, which is just north of Ward 7.

In Ward 7 people were very concerned about multi-family housing that was overwhelming their neighborhoods. In Ward 3 there was no mention of it at all.
          This backs my position that Ward 7 is the dumping ground for these projects. Neighborhoods are going down a one way street when this happens.
          You often see houses being torn down to make apartments. You never see apartments being torn down to make houses.

I also noted something else. At the Ward 7 forum I brought flyers to distribute, but was told it wasn't permitted. So my uncle took them to hand out at home.
          In Ward 3 there were flyers from all the candidates everywhere. People were handing them out as you entered and they covered every chair.
          Quite an abrupt change in one day. Was it incompetence or influence?

Comment

There was a Take Back The Night event in Ward 7 last night and I went out to look it over.
            Take Back The Night is a womans anti-violence movement.
            My parents had a violent phase when they were breaking up and I can sympathize with the women and the children involved.

http://www.takebackthenight.org/

I looked at the exhibits, spoke to some people and met the volunteer organizers Monica and Bridgette. Then I left before getting political.

Comment

Hello, Terry. Thank you for posting at C2E. Best of luck with your campaign.

I have a few questions:

1. On your website, you mention Community Leagues, and are critical of the seemingly disparate way in which they're organized. What specific initiatives would you pitch to streamline and improve Community League organization?

2. You're critical of city council's decision to close the airport and build residences in the area, stating a lack of schools and overall lack of community would lead to another crime-ridden area. Do you feel the new proposed residential area could be built with all the necessary community-building trappings, like schools and other community centers?

Thanks in advance for your time.
              http://orbisaetherum.com — My story podcast. Take a listen!

Comment

1. The one thing that would help would be a city wide set of bylaws for the leagues. Right now every one has its' own, and they can change them on their own. This gives unscrupulous people an opportunity for mischief. If anyone could say 'these are the rules' then things would be be much easier to deal with.
                There are many leagues that have their doors open to the community every week. They shouldn't mind if we are trying to get rid of those that are not. And firm guidelines would get rid of those that aren't there for the community.

2. It's a neat idea. A town within a city.
                Should we close areas that are already built to funnel people into a place that needs to have everything made from scratch? I saw on the news they will pay seniors to stay in their homes. And yet they close schools to make young families move away.
                I've read ideas on connect2 about airport redevelopment ideas. Some of them are neat, and some utopian.
                I wonder about road access no matter what is done there. The airport only has a few access points. It seems that whatever was there would be isolated. Would that be good or bad? Emergency services would have more troubles. If crime moved in they would be out of the public eye.
                How effectively could roads be linked into the city grid?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Rolls View Post
                  I wonder about road access no matter what is done there. The airport only has a few access points. It seems that whatever was there would be isolated. Would that be good or bad? Emergency services would have more troubles. If crime moved in they would be out of the public eye.
                  How effectively could roads be linked into the city grid?
                  109 St gets extended to Yellowhead using the old runway (16/34). The width of the old runway also provides parking areas for adjacent businesses and residential units. 118 Av gets extended to meet up with 118 Av on the other side. This provides 4 major accesses to the area, along with as many other connections as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Rolls View Post
                    1. The one thing that would help would be a city wide set of bylaws for the leagues. Right now every one has its' own, and they can change them on their own. This gives unscrupulous people an opportunity for mischief. If anyone could say 'these are the rules' then things would be be much easier to deal with.
                    There are many leagues that have their doors open to the community every week. They shouldn't mind if we are trying to get rid of those that are not. And firm guidelines would get rid of those that aren't there for the community.

Pretty sure this organization already exists in the EFCL (Edmonton Federation of Community League).

What if any has been you detailed involvement in your local community league and previous community leagues?

Comment

Well JJ, I was in a league that did nothing for the community. Yet money was pouring out on various things that had no result. $500 a month for a newsletter that came out once or twice a year for one. When I asked to see the books I was put off. When I said that the bylaws stated one person couldn't be president and treasurer the president/treasurer changed the bylaws. When I said the bylaws said only the members could change the bylaws the president/treasurer changed the bylaws to say she could change the bylaws. Finally I was blackballed out of the membership.

I went to the EFCL and the city liaison and anyone else I could think of. None of them were interested.

Since then I have kept an eye on the leagues and asked people in various leagues about their experiences. I have no reason to doubt what I have said.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post

109 St gets extended to Yellowhead using the old runway (16/34). The width of the old runway also provides parking areas for adjacent businesses and residential units. 118 Av gets extended to meet up with 118 Av on the other side. This provides 4 major accesses to the area, along with as many other connections as possible.
                        118 ave is one lane from the 101 st. traffic circle to NAIT. Then it goes right through the campus. The Buses also use it to access the garage.
                        Not really a major road.
                        An intersection at 109 St. seems like a messy thing with the various roads and the mall right there.

Comment

118 avenue will be more of a major road when the east and west sections are united through the redeveloped airport lands.
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Well, I worked at NAIT 5 years but I went by on the way back from Shaw to look it over.
                            NAIT buildings straddle 118th, with an overhead walkway, and students walking across the street all day. And their biggest parkade is right beside it.
                            Between 106 and 101, one side is all NAIT property, while the other is strip malls on the curb, parking lots, and a defunct theatre.
                            Then the traffic circle needs to be rebuilt or destroyed.
                            So how much is that? 50 Mil? That's if NAIT sells their land, and even then NAIT buildings can't be moved.

Comment

Updated a little. People like things in point form.

1. Taxes. Right now old neighborhoods are taxed the same as new ones. But what they call 'infrastructure', the pipes and roads and wires, are already in place in old ones. So in effect old areas are subsidizing the construction of new ones, who then take families away from the old ones, which causes them to get run down.
                              There should be higher taxes in new areas, which would be fair, and also encourage builders to find spots in older areas.

2. The Airport Land. Whoever brought it up right now had clever timing on their part. The choices are leave it as an airport, develop it for industrial, and develop it for housing units. Each has its' arguments, but each one has money behind it that will be lost.
                              I say there should be full discussion and participation, along with full disclosure, of all the aspects, which would include anyone who wants to be involved.
                              This is not some corner lot the City got a hold of. This is a BIG area. It has BIG consequences.

And what about traffic? It seems I was the first one to bring up the fact that the airport is a secluded area. New roads will have to be made to connect it to the grid. How will that affect traffic, and how much extra will that cost?

In Ward 7 the Yellowhead/Gretzky interchange has been delayed for years. This project could require 3 or 4 interchanges the same size.

We could also put the new garbage dump there. It would save millions of dollars. But no one wants to be stuck with a big stink in the middle of town.

3. About a week after I brought up the closed school situation, [see website] I read in the paper the Mayor and School Board Chairs-people from Public and Catholic announced a program to 'preserve core-area schools with partnerships'. This will either save schools or re-use them for other purposes such as libraries, with input from the neighborhood.
                              1 week. Fast action. You're welcome.

4. Epcor. While all this dog and pony show is going on Epcor has not been spoken of. Epcor was a very profitable City Owned Utility. Now a big chunk of Epcor was sold off to another company, with cash coming in but also somewhat worthless stock that has no market value as is. And the executives are the same on both Boards. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X