Candidate Karen Leibovici

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Response to Sheba

Sorry missed your first question there. Initially, I felt that there needed to be more discussion with regards to the Stony Plain route and the 107th ave option, council however has made a decision on the current alignment. I also have concerns with this route and have asked for reports to come back to council highlighting how traffic concerns will be met. In particular, there are numerous community concerns about access for residents in those communities like Elmwood & Lynnwood. The route will be further discussed by council in December/January and I would urge you to appear before council with your concerns.

Karen

Comment

Response to ooo

Originally posted by ooo View Post
      Hello Karen Leibovici,

What are your plans regarding the biking trails, pedestrian walkways, and trails of Edmonton if you were to be elected?
      Thank you for the question. City administration has been directed by council to prepare the 2012-2022 Capital Priorities Plan with a guideline of 5% of the Transportation Capital Budget toward Active Transportation Projects. I have voted in favour of that direction to administration. Please visit the city website for more information on this plan and the city's work on active transportation projects.

Karen

Comment

Response to enek

Originally posted by enek View Post
        We are all tired of hearing about the airport... it's probably an issue most would want to avoid since it seems to have polarized many people. If the airport is shutdown how would you like to see that area developed?

Also I'd like to thank you for having the best online presence of all the Ward 5 candidates.
        Thank you for the question as well as your comment about our online presence, I'm getting used to this social media thing! The concept for the municipal airport lands is to create a environmentally sustainable, walkable and family oriented community that will attract residents of ALL income brackets. It will also allow for the expansion of NAIT as well a better, more cost effective alignment for the NW LRT.

Karen

Comment

Response to Gemini

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
          Hi Karen.
          Has the current city council every considered a new Civic Centre. It would seem advantageous to have all the city departments under one roof or one complex.
          What are your thoughts on this.
          Thank you and have a good Thanksgiving.
          Thanks for the question. The problem with amalgamating all city departments under one roof is that their are over 12, 000 city employees whose roles and activities differ greatly from one another. It is more efficient to have bus barns and service yards that are located within the quadrants that they serve. We do however try to house some of the administrative functions in a centralized location like Chancery hall.

Karen

Comment

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
            Executive Director
            Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Response to Thomas Hinderks

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
              The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
              Executive Director
              Alberta Aviation Museum
              As you are most likely aware the City Centre Airport lands redevelopment planning principles which I voted for was approved by Council on March 10. The Master Plan principles indicate the following:

The history of this site must be embodied in the Master Plan through various initiatives that include preservation,naming,interpretation and designation.

Build on the existing Aviation Museum to enhance it's presence on the site as a cultural institution.

Explore the idea of a mall of museums that would acknowledge the historical significance of structures such as the Hangers 8 and 11 that are all on the inventory of historical resources in Edmonton.

The Master Plan principles should be accessible on the city website.

Karen

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Thomas Hinderks
                Executive Director
                Alberta Avaiton Museum

Good luck

Comment

Hey Karen,
                  I'm currently doing a project for school about the 2010 election and i have chosen to write about your views on the issues relating to the election. If possible could you answer a few questions?

-What is your opinion on the LRT extension?
                  -How do you feel about the downtown arena? Will the facility be worth taxpayers money?
                  -What is your opinion on the City Centre Airport? Pro-closure or pro-airport? (I know alot of people are sick of talking about the airport but it is one of the views I have to investigate on... I have checked your website but it doesn't view your opinion on the airport)

Goodluck in the election

Comment

Response to kirtsa

Originally posted by kirtsa View Post
                    Hey Karen,
                    I'm currently doing a project for school about the 2010 election and i have chosen to write about your views on the issues relating to the election. If possible could you answer a few questions?

-What is your opinion on the LRT extension?
                    -How do you feel about the downtown arena? Will the facility be worth taxpayers money?
                    -What is your opinion on the City Centre Airport? Pro-closure or pro-airport? (I know alot of people are sick of talking about the airport but it is one of the views I have to investigate on... I have checked your website but it doesn't view your opinion on the airport)

Goodluck in the election
                    Hi there, thank you for your questions.

The Routes have been chosen for the NW SE and West LRT lines and are going through the various design stages. In regards to the West LRT what will need to be considered is the impact of the LRT running at grade at intersections like 149 and 142. I have asked questions of administration to address these issues. I also have a blog post about transportation on my website you can take a look at.

There are many questions that need to be answered before a decision can be made on the downtown arena. Council has no proposal in front of it so I cannot comment other than to see that it is clear that citizens do not want to see increased taxes if the arena and entertainment district is built. The other clear decision is not whether to renovate or build new as arena. The current Rexall Place is one of oldest and smallest buildings in the NHL but it also out of date as a building for as a concert venue. We are better served by a new building than trying to retrofit the existing building. I also have a blog post on this issue on my website.

I voted for the phased closure of the muni airport. As a result of the 1995 referendum scheduled flights were moved to the international airport. This has resulted in the airport not being a viable operation in the long term. Most of the flights remaining are flight training, charter or private planes. The vision for the airport lands which the city owns and will develop is for a sustainable, family oriented, walkable, community.

Information that I based my decision on can be found on the following links: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ds-review.aspx
                    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...es_for_RFP.pdf

Again, I have written a blog post you can take a look at on my website.

Thanks again for your questions and good luck with your project.

Karen

Comment

Working...
                    X