Candidate Michael Waddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate Michael Waddy

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Michael Waddy - Councillor Ward 2.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
    Ow

I said this because coming here makes my heart hurt.

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read a little about me. I will be happy to respond to your questions as time permits.

Safe Streets including snow removal
    I believe a safe community is essential for a city to flourish. The streets must be safe for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. Motorists in Edmonton are happy to stop for pedestrians; therefore more crosswalks on major routes should have amber flashing lights installed for pedestrian safety.
    Edmonton streets should be plowed in the winter, especially near schools and hospitals. We can not wait a month for it to melt every time it snows in Edmonton, the city must clear the roads which will increase safety. This has to be reflected in the city budget, and allowances need to be made for a full winter season year after year.

LRT Expansion.

While there is considerable planning being done on the expansion of the LRT lines, Edmonton still needs immediate resolution on its transportation. A 20 year plan should keep residents informed of future upgrades to our transit system. We need to connect St. Albert, Fort Saskatchewan, Sherwood Park and the Airport in a long term plan, with completion deadlines for each area.
    In the interim, more buses should be introduced to straight arteries within the city. For example, running down 137th Ave, you should be able to get on one bus, and stay on one bus for the entire journey. Transit riders should be able to get from the west to east without going through multiple connections or downtown. This would also connect more people to the Clareview LRT station.

City Centre Airport
    I favour keeping the City Centre Airport open, but I believe the citizens should be the ones that decide what happens to the Airport. Following the petition that was handed to the City, it was clear that the citizens wanted a vote; I believe it was irresponsible of our councillors to vote against having the people decide.

Remove traffic lights on the Yellowhead Trail.
    The Trans-Canada Highway should have less traffic lights as they; impede flow, create rush hour back ups, increase unnecessary accidents, frustrate drivers, and cause unnecessary pollution.
    With the current improvements to our road system the Yellowhead needs to be reviewed for future change to support a growing population. Several intersections need to be reviewed for changes or complete removal of traffic lights including:

89 Street intersection, remove traffic lights.
    121 Street should be upgraded to an underpass.
    The intersections at 124 Street and 127 Street should be reviewed and updated to remove the 124 Street intersection. Existing turn lanes would still allow traffic to exit onto 124 Street.
    149 Street should be updated to an underpass or overpass to support future traffic flow.
    These are a few of the issues that I believe should be addressed in City Council. I would be happy to hear your comments and concerns in Ward 2. Please feel free to contact me with your comments.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Do you have a website or e-mail address?

Comment

Thanks for posting, Michael. Regarding the following statement:

"Following the petition that was handed to the City, it was clear that the citizens wanted a vote; I believe it was irresponsible of our councillors to vote against having the people decide."

Audit issues aside, between 5 and 10% of Edmontonians signed the petition supporting a plebiscite. That would mean that between 90 and 95% of Edmontonians did not sign the petition. Would it be reasonable to say that that between 90 and 95% did not want a vote?
        Last edited by JOA; 24-09-2010, 04:41 PM. Reason: percentage clarification
        "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Thank you for your response and question JOA. By simple math you would be correct. However, it is my opinion that in excess of 75000 Edmontonian’s signed to have a say in whether or not they should have a vote. Regardless of if they were for or against the airport closing, 75000 is a substantial amount of individuals wanting a say in their community. When you compare 75000 people to the City’s population, you are correct, that is not a significant amount of people. However, this is a democratic system. If you look at the total amounts of people who voted in the 2007 election, you will see that only 150, 000 people voted. So, I know that you can’t directly compare the two, they are different polls. I do know however, that it is important to listen to the citizens of Edmonton, and if there is a substantial number of citizens wanting a vote, then that is significant to me.
          Fryingwoks, my email address is [email protected].
          Thank you,
          Michael

Comment

It seems a fair amount of new people entering the race for the mayors job and also council are pro ECCA. It seems all of a sudden these civic minded people are rushing to cash in on votes from the small percentage of people who signed the petition. What is amazing is that none of these newly civic minded people spoke up last year when the decision was made to close ECCA. Why was there not a petition started then?. Now we have the issue of taxpayers having to pay $150,000 to check out a petition that was one year late and short of the target. Do you think the MGA should have been circumvented to humour EE?. Yes, a significant number of Edmontonians did sign a petition but, I can tell you, the vast majority did not.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Michael,
              I have offered the following questions to another candidate for Ward 2 and would like you to respond as well.

The petition drive failed on two accounts. The first one is that the petition was submitted almost a year after a valid and legal petition could be filed by today's rules. With that in mind and given your stance on the issue:
              What do you propose the limit to challenge council's decision should be? That is, within how many months or years could council's decision be challenged? What do you think the potential benefits and pitfalls of allowing council decisions be challenged within your preferred timeframe?

The second issue is that the petition drive did not collect sufficient number of valid signatures, yet you claim that the number was significant enough. So, what do you propose the new number of valid signatures should be for petitions? Should it be a different percentage of the population or a fixed number?

My fear is that if council decisions can be challenged many months and years after they are made, the city can risk stalling new initiative and void contracts (at great cost to the city). My second fear is that if the number of people is lowered, any specific group of individuals can challenge easily the choices made by elected officials at a great cost to the city to run the plebiscites. Both of these measures have the potential to render the council's role as nearly symbolic while completely griding to a halt the operation of the city. Perhaps you see things differently. I would like to hear about it.

Comment

Hi. I'm a candidate just east of you in Ward 7.

I notice that you want the Yellowhead sped up.

How do you think the airport development will affect that? As I see it, NAIT, the bus barns, and a city storage yard is to the east, while businesses ring the west. That leaves Kingsway and the Yellowhead to get traffic in and out. That would means more traffic lights, not less.

Comment

Thank you for your comments and questions, I will endeavour to explain my perspective as best I can, realizing that my answers are not going to satisfy everyone! I do however appreciate hearing different perspectives and comments.

Gemini, thank you for your perspective. I would not classify myself as ‘rushing to cash in on votes’, however, as I stated, I do believe a large proportion of the citizens deserve to be heard. As far as ‘circumventing to humour EE’, I do not believe this should happen either. The Municipal Government Act is there for a reason, and I completely agree with having the Act. Perhaps there should have been better lines of communication and dialogue outright. However, with such a low percentage of Edmontonian’s involved in Civic Politics, it seems to me that this is an important issue to our citizens, and should be encouraged to be opened up and explored. I do also believe that when a large percentage of the taxpayers make their voice heard, it is the obligation of the government to hear the taxpayers.

Grish, I think I may have addressed some of your questions in the above paragraph. Quite correct, the petition was filed after the deadline had occurred. As far as proposed limits to challenge council’s decision, I am not sure there is a correct answer. You could on one hand set a 2 week decision, and on the other hand a 6 month decision. Of course there are going to be benefits and pitfalls to both, some are going to result in better changes being introduced, some are going to slow progress. I still do believe that in a democracy we owe it the citizens who want to be heard, they deserve to be represented.

As far as your second issue regarding the number of valid signatures, I have similar thoughts as above. 150 000 citizens voted in the last election in 2007. 75000 people signed a petition. What makes the number significant to me is that half of the citizens who voted in 2007 are concerned about this issue, that to me is significant.

I do agree with your concerns, appreciate you thoughts, your concerns are valid. I also believe it is important, and the duty of the councillor to represent all opinions of the public.

Terry, thank you for comment regarding the Yellowhead, and good luck in your candidacy! The concern with the Yellowhead is related to traffic flow in Edmonton in general. Regardless of the airport development and what route that takes, traffic is going to increase on the Yellowhead. As this is one of the major thoroughfares within Edmonton, this should be regarded as a major route, not a parking lot for the city. By enhancing the flow of traffic onto the Yellowhead, incorporating merging lanes, underpasses and overpasses, you will reduce the risk of accidents, increase flow, and make the Yellowhead into a well flowing thoroughfare.

Thanks again for the questions!

Michael

Comment

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
                    Executive Director
                    Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Working...
                    X