• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kcantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Roxie Malone-Richards View Post
    Dear Ander;
    I have not been approached nor would I "bow out" to increase the chances of a pro-airport candidate getting in. While the other two pro airport candidates are focused on the closing, I am more focused on the democracy aspect of the decision to close the airport. For me, this race is every man/woman for him or herself. Thank you for your question.

And to grish; Do you really believe that two of your oponents routinely steal your platform? I didn't say "routinely" did I? At last nights forum, both Don and Tom jumped on my platform bandwagon, with statements that are directly from my brochure, statements that incidentally, neither had previously mentioned in any manner, until last night. At one point I actually thought there was an echo in the room as one candidate consistently repeated my platform almost word for word. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps if they were more secure in their own positions and platforms, they wouldn't have to steal from others.

Thank you for your question.
    roxie, perhaps if you were prepared to actually engage and discuss with others you might be less inclined to claim "ownership" of ideas and language. you might learn that much is shared and recognize that's what democracy really relies on.

while tom i don't agree on what is currently the elephant in the room (and neither do you and i) neither of us is foolish to think that we "own" our respective positions or our respective sound bites for that matter.

outside the elephant, there is much that tom and i could manage to agree on and one would think that would be what you should be looking for rather than bemoaning the theft of "your" platform ideas and language.

unfortunately, until the elephant is finally addressed and finally put to bed, we will all be forced to tip toe around in hard hats and steel toed boots watching people who should be able to agree sniping at each other instead of moving forward on common ground rather than complaining about commong ground.

in the meantime, we look forward to your responses to some of the still outstanding questions here. something others have been doing for years in developing and refining their platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    One other quick question (unrelated to the actual vote). During the forum you mentioned that you took a course and gained the ability to write parking tickets for people parked in handicap spaces. Can you provide more information on that course, what it was called, and what tickets it allows you to write?

Leave a comment:

• DEESGOODWORD
    replied
    Originally posted by Roxie Malone-Richards View Post
    ... I will not be answering questions that are surrounded by derogatory, negative or presumptuous editorial comments. If you have a succinct question without the ignorant comments, I will be happy to answer it.
    Roxie--I asked you several questions on Sept 24. Will you be able to respond to them?

As a piece of advice, if you get elected, I hope you realize that you will always be surrounded by derogatory, negative and presumptuous remarks, and ignorant comments and maybe someone will even accuse you of doing something illegal. That's the nature of politics so you better get used to it now.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    Roxie, I think the problem is that you're looking at one issue and claiming that by city council not going ahead with a plebiscite vote, it then means that they don't represent anyone. That's completely ignoring every other issue that council dealt with over the past 3 years. As you, and everyone else can agree, there's a lot more to this city than the airport, just as there's a lot more to this election than the airport.

By playing the Envision Edmonton "democracy" card, you weaken any other point you're trying to make during the election run because it's such an absurd comment to make. It also demonstrates a lack of knowledge regarding how politics work; we elect people we believe will represent our best interests, and rely on them to carry this out for their term. That's representative democracy, which is the system we have here.

As for the numbers of people that wanted the airport closed, that will never be known. I can tell you that I emailed one of my councillors and the mayor with my thoughts on the issue. I'm sure many others let their opinion be known as well (for and against), so you also can't claim that they were ignoring the people they represent. Just because there wasn't a piece of paper to sign doesn't mean pro-closure voices weren't heard.

And I apologize for claiming that's the only thing you said last night. Yes, you had other points, however you kept coming back to the airport and the lack of democracy argument, and that's what I took away from the event. I give you a lot of credit for continuing to answer questions in what is obviously a hostile forum.

Leave a comment:

• Medwards
    replied
    Roxie - using what ever numbers you want to, you do realize that a distinct majority of the population of Edmonton did not sign the petition. Do you feel its okay to ignore the democratic wishes of those people, and instead place higher value on a small minority of very vocal people that wish to keep the airport open? Do you feel its okay to cheat 75-90% of Edmontonians that choose not to sign the petition out of their democratic rights?

By the way, in 1995, over 77% of Edmonton voted in a democratic plebiscite to have their scheduled air services out at the Edmonton International Airport. If elected (good luck) Will you respect those wishes, and make sure that there will be no return to scheduled services at YXD?

Leave a comment:

• Alex.L
    replied
    To be fair, there are approximately 560,000 eligible voters in Edmonton (according to the 2007 election numbers anyway). So if we take into account the 75,000 valid signatures gathered by Envision Edmonton, that leaves 485,000 eligible voters who did not sign the petition (whether they had the opportunity or not does not matter).

If my math is correct, and it very well might not be, I believe that means that 13% of the eligible voting public signed the Envision Edmonton petition, leaving 87% who did not. The Municipal Government Act does not call for 10%+ of the eligible voting public though, it calls for 10%+ of the population.

You recently posted in this thread that:
    We do not have representative democracy in this city at the present time, as city council did not represent or even recognize a significant number of people who wanted the right to vote.
    3 of 13 councillors (or 23%) voted in line with the 13% of voters who signed the petition. I'd call that a representative government, and a very good one at that. One that not only recognized that a significant number of people wanted the right to vote, but that an even more significant number of people did not want the right to vote on this particular issue.

Ms. Malone-Richards, if elected will you make your decisions based on fact?

Leave a comment:

• Gemini
    replied
    Roxie,
    If elected to council do you think it would be prudent to build a new Civic Centre/Complex to house all city departments under one roof. My feeling are that the city administration has offices scattered throughout the down town core. It seems it would be more economical to have them in one building.
    Thank You.

Leave a comment:

• Roxie Malone-Richards
    replied
    To medwards and others throwing out this stat...."90.6% of the population didn't want the airport".....90.6% of Edmontonians are not necessarily eligible to vote so you can throw that stat out the window! I stated in this thread and will state again... I will not be answering questions that are surrounded by derogatory, negative or presumptuous editorial comments. If you have a succinct question without the ignorant comments, I will be happy to answer it.

Leave a comment:

• Medwards
    replied
    Over 90.6% of the population of Edmonton didn't sign that petition. I think democracy was upheld in a few ways. City Council respected the democratic laws of the petition rules set out in the Municipal Government act, and they also saw that less than 10% of the population requested a plebiscite. Do you have an issue with the MGA rules? How is current council not representing the people? I would say council stood up for the vast majority of Edmontonians here who wish for the airport to just go away.

I'd say a more significant number of people are thankful that democratically elected city council stood up for them. 90.6 % of Edmonton wants the airport CLOSED.

So if your platform isn't all "airport must stay open" what else did you talk about at the forum ?

What are your plans post-election when you find yourself on the outside looking in? Are you going to whine and complain that some how democracy has failed?

Also - why didn't you answer my questions in my last post on this thread? Are you going to answer it? Also, you skipped over Jeff's questions as well... What up with that? If elected (good luck) will you be dodging questions like you are here?
    Last edited by Medwards; 14-10-2010, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Roxie Malone-Richards
    replied
    Dear Gord;
    "I think her platform is clear; keep the airport open. That's really the only thing she's said, well, besides how democracy is being violated or something (standard Envision Edmonton speech). I watched the Ward 2 debate tonight, and that's the only thing she spoke of". Really? Then you obviously have selective hearing. It's sad that you chose to hear what you wanted to hear, and dismissed the many issues that I spoke of last night that did not relate to either democracy or the airport. We do not have representative democracy in this city at the present time, as city council did not represent or even recognize a significant number of people who wanted the right to vote.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    Roxie, last night you kept talking about democracy. Can you please define representative democracy, the type of democracy we have here.

Leave a comment:

• Roxie Malone-Richards
    replied
    Dear Ander;
    I have not been approached nor would I "bow out" to increase the chances of a pro-airport candidate getting in. While the other two pro airport candidates are focused on the closing, I am more focused on the democracy aspect of the decision to close the airport. For me, this race is every man/woman for him or herself. Thank you for your question.

And to grish; Do you really believe that two of your oponents routinely steal your platform? I didn't say "routinely" did I? At last nights forum, both Don and Tom jumped on my platform bandwagon, with statements that are directly from my brochure, statements that incidentally, neither had previously mentioned in any manner, until last night. At one point I actually thought there was an echo in the room as one candidate consistently repeated my platform almost word for word. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps if they were more secure in their own positions and platforms, they wouldn't have to steal from others.

Thank you for your question.

Leave a comment:

• Alex.L
    replied
    Roxie,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in the online candidates forum.

My question to you is: Are you concerned that you are one of 3 pro-airport candidates running in Ward 2, and have you been approached to bow out of the race to minimize vote-splitting, thus increasing the likelihood of a pro-airport candidate being successful?

Leave a comment:

• photogirl67
    replied
    I've seen her facebook page, that is not a professional web site. The City's web site links to facebook.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Speaking of twitter:

Originally posted by Roxie's twitter page
    Is concerned how my platform has suddenly become koziak and hendriks platform, Hey u2, who writes your stuff? oh, wait, that would be me.
    Do you really believe that two of your oponents routinely steal your platform?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X