Candidate Roxie Malone-Richards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grish View Post
    Sorry for double message, but I forgot to ask you the following follow-up questions:

You object to not giving the citizens of edmonton the vote on the fate of the airport. On the flip side of that are arguments that council is elected and represents the citizens of edmonton and is charged with the responsibility to make these types of decisions on our behalf following a consultation process.

Do you feel that the consultation process is inadequate in our city?

Do you have plans to make changes to the process? What are they?

The recent call for a plebiscite fell short on two counts. One is the timing of the petition (it should have taken place within 60 days of council decision). The other is the number of signatures collected not being representative of the required 10%.

Do you plan to make changes to petitions of this nature and allow all council decisions to be challenged and repealed without a specific time limit?

Do you plan to propose a change in the required number of signatures?

Do you see any potential problems with decreasing the required number of signatures making it easy for any special interest group to challenge council decisions?

Would that not clog up this governing body in running the city on behalf of the majority at great expense (an ensuing increase in our property taxes)?

THank you for your time,
    Grish
    Regardless of the timing of the petition, the public forums, and alleged shortfall in signatures, most members of City Council still ignored the wishes of over 70,000 people and voted (which is part of the process), to not place the question on a referendum. Council had the opportunity, obligation and duty to listen to a significant number of people, but they chose not to.

Had any of the councillors who voted against the referendum actually listened to their constituents , they would have heard that the overwhelming feeling from those on both sides of the airport issue was that they were willing to vote, accept whatever the results were, put the issue to bed and move forward. That, my friend, is called democracy.

I'm positive that I have not answered your many questions to your satisfaction, but I have answered to the best of my ability. No one person can have all the answers to all the problems and issues facing our city. Choose the candidate that will represent you, your values and your priorities, best. And if I may steal a quote, "May we get the best Edmonton for all!"
    Cheers!
    Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

hmmm... I was actually hoping for a specific platform type position, not a "right" answer. Instead, it appears that you doubt the work of city administration and advocate a case-by-case approach to democracy. Will you, perhaps, include a specific position on these matters in the future during your campaign?

Comment

hmmm... I was actually hoping for a specific platform type position, not a "right" answer. Instead, it appears that you doubt the work of city administration and advocate a case-by-case approach to democracy. Will you, perhaps, include a specific position on these matters in the future during your campaign?
        My, my, you are presumptuous. I'm sorry my answers are not "right" enough for you, but I believe my position and platform regarding the airport issue is clear. I think you have concentrated on this ONE issue long enough.
        Cheers!
        Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

i just wanted an answer. that is all. good luck on the election.

Comment

i just wanted an answer. that is all. good luck on the election.
            .....and I believe I provided you with one, Thank you for the best wishes.
            Cheers!
            Roxie

Comment

Well, that's more than I got.
              Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

"If you actually looked at my platform, you would see that there are many other issues that I feel are important to the future of this city. Did you notice that the majority of the questions posed to me on this thread have been about the airport? "

SO ??? Maybe the majority of the people on this site and those reading it consider it an important issue for this city. For you to act like it's a non important issue when you claim that the citizens didn't get their right to democracy on this very same issue then you aren't paying attention to the majority of the people. Where did you get your facts and research from on the closure? Did you attend all the council meetings last year and personally listen to what was being said? Are you saying that council didn't do their own research or are you just saying that you think your research is better?

Council followed the letter of the law re the petition on the CCA---are you saying that if you get elected you will ignore the law in order to appease your constituents or would you have the conviction (like those 10 council members just did) to stand up for the law?

Why do you think that Council didn't deserve or earn a pay hike? When you worked at CHED was your salary based on the rate of inflation?

What kind of research have you done on EXPO 2017 and how it will be funded? Why do you say we will only be left with a bunch of warehouses after it's all over? Are you going to turn down Provincial and Federal money that would build some of our infrastructures and roads if we were to get Expo?

What kind of research did you do on the funding of the Art Gallery of ALBERTA to imply that the city paid for it? Have you seen the wall inside the gallery that lists all the personal and corporate donors? Have you taken your daughter to the free Family Day at the art gallery---it's free because a local corporation donated the funds. Do you not think that the Arts are important?

Comment

Originally posted by Roxie Malone-Richards View Post
                  Dear Medwards;
                  It is obvious that this website has a pro closure agenda. I stand by my facts and the extensive research that I have done on this issue.
                  Roxie Malone-Richards
                  Can you elaborate on the research you have done, please?
                  "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Roxie Malone-Richards View Post
                    Dear Medwards;
                    It is obvious that this website has a pro closure agenda. I stand by my facts and the extensive research that I have done on this issue.
                    Roxie Malone-Richards
                    Candidate Richards,

While I can say that many responding to your thread in question may be for a pro-closure position/opinion, I can assure you that this website per se has no other agenda than to provide a place for Edmontonians and others to talk about Edmonton.

You will find many pro-airport comments on this site as well. There are strong opinions on this polarized debate I assure you, but this site does not edit or eliminate pro-airport comments.

Thank you.

Comment

Dear Admin;
                      I fully understand the purpose of this site and I'm sorry I was not more clear. The pro-closure website I was referring to, is definitely not Connect2Edmonton. I was asked in a previous post by medwards what my opinion was on sharethefacts.ca.
                      Cheers!
                      Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

Dear JOA;
                        I have read countless reports and studies on the issue. I have spoken with frontline workers in both NICU and PICU, doctors, nurses and transport teams. The most compelling argument to keep the airport open comes from the "Report to City of Edmonton" regarding medevac services. This report contains letters to Mayor Mandel from several medical leaders in Edmonton. Every one of them have expressed their concerns about the negative impact the closure of the ECCA will have on patients, (especially critically ill children).
                        These letters of concern were written by: Dr. Sunil Sookram- Assoc Clinical Professor, Dept of Emergency Medicine U of A,
                        Allen de Caen-Medical Director of the PICU Transport Team U of A
                        Blair J O'Neil- Professor of Medicine and director, Division of Cardiology U of A
                        Mary vanWijngaarden-Stephens- Director of the Trauma Department, U of A
                        Dr. Ruben Hansen- Site Chief, Emergency Medicine, RAH
                        Demetrios Kutsogiannis-Faculty of Medicine & Dentristry, Critical Care Research U of A.
                        Every single letter echoes the same message: Increasing transport time will, without question, have a detrimental and negative effect on long-term outcomes of the critically ill, including survival rate and quality of life.

Thank you for your question.
                        Cheers!
                        Roxie Malone-Richards
                        Last edited by Roxie Malone-Richards; 24-09-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that. Can you provide sources to those materials, dates of conversations, names of conversants, etc.? How does STARS' recent decision to sell their space at ECCA to the city factor into your conclusion?
                          "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

You views on the City Centre Airport are interesting. You seem to think that City Council was not listening to the 70,000 plus who signed the petition. What are your feelings on the Envision Edmonton Team even taking out a petition when they were way past the date of submission (about a year late). Or EE wasting about $150,000 of taxpayers dollars by having to have these signatures verified. How do you feel now that EE is grovelling all over the province for money and trying to get other municipalities involved in our issues. If you were sitting on council right now how would you handle this.

Thank you for your time.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

[QUOTE=Roxie Malone-Richards;318421]Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on with this airport issue, city council unilaterally disregarded 77% of the voters who were in favour of keeping the Muni open in the '95 plebiscite and ignored over 70,000 signatures on Envision's petition. That's not democracy. City Council, could have, and should have, allowed the people of Edmonton to vote on the issue. Then we could have finally laid this issue to rest. I now see it resonating for years to come. We need to send a message to City Council that we are not okay with having our democratic rights compromised.

Sorry for cherry picking this one paragraph. You stated that in 1995 77% of voters were in favour of keeping the Muni open.
                              You know, things have changed a lot since then. Don't you think the make up of Edmonton has changed and moved on since 1995. We have a bigger population, the International Airport is expanding and taking way more flights, we are maturing as a city. 15 years have past and yet a few people want to hold onto the past. Really, who wants to vote for yesterdays man/woman.

Thank you for your time.
                              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                                Hello Roxie,

It is my understanding, and not mine alone, that the Muni, if closed, will enable the City to have a source of revenue from property taxes, etc., that, by far, outstrips the status quo, and will continue to do so. Plus, the added benefits of infill population in holding back urban sprawl, for one example, on the outskirts are quite evident. How does someone committed to the betterment of Edmonton turn down such an opportunity?

Thank you.
                                Business or revenue opportunities get trumped by the value of a lost life. Closing the airport may be a revenue opportunity for the city, but it comes at the huge cost of lost lives and preventable disability.

I am committed to the betterment of our beautiful city and I wholeheartedly agree that we need to get a grip on urban sprawl. There are many empty spaces within Edmonton that we should be re-developing. Thousands of Edmontonians, including myself, believe the airport land isn't one of them.
                                Cheers!
                                Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X