Candidate Roxie Malone-Richards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate Roxie Malone-Richards

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Roxie Malone-Richards - Councillor Ward 2.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
    Ow

Overhaul City Hall this Fall - Elect Roxie Malone-Richards in Ward 2

I was born and raised in Edmonton. I am an outspoken community activist, advocate for disabled persons and a former broadcaster.

I am calling for accountability on the part of city council. I think it’s outrageous that councilors received a 5.5% pay raise without any input from taxpayers, and then ignored the voice of thousands of Edmontonians who wanted to vote on the airport issue.

If I am elected I will rollback my councilor's salary, and I will work to keep the Muni open. This airport is an important transportation link for Edmonton with a long history for residents in Ward 2. With the almost 4,000 medivac flights (approx. 400 are critical), flying into the Muni every year, I have yet to hear a plan that will not jeopardize the lives of the critically ill.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on with this airport issue, city council unilaterally disregarded 77% of the voters who were in favour of keeping the Muni open in the '95 plebiscite and ignored over 70,000 signatures on Envision's petition. That's not democracy. City Council, could have, and should have, allowed the people of Edmonton to vote on the issue. Then we could have finally laid this issue to rest. I now see it resonating for years to come. We need to send a message to City Council that we are not okay with having our democratic rights compromised.

I am a strong supporter of community police initiatives. I worked with the police to establish a neighborhood campaign to get rid of prostitutes and johns in my neighborhood and I think it’s important for residents to work together with the EPS to make our communities safer for all of us. I will strive to get rid of photo radar (as it is not a detterrent to speeding and does nothing to contribute to the safety of our streets ), and put more law enforcement at the street level.

As a candidate for City Council in Ward 2, I will oppose the expenditure of billions of tax dollars for Edmonton’s Expo 2017 bid. I know how hard people work to earn their money. It just doesn't make sense to spend an incredible amount of tax dollars on a 5-month party when there are so many other pressures facing our city.

I want to bring some common sense decision-making back to City Hall. If I am elected I will use due diligence when making decisions that involve your tax dollars. There will be no singing recycle bins, or yo-yo's being handed out in Washington. I believe there are more fiscally responsible ways of promoting our beautiful city.

I have also been a life-long advocate of the disabled. As a handicapped individual I can bring unique insight to City Council on issues that the disabled population faces every day.

I was a popular personality with listeners during my many years at 630 CHED. I am married and am the proud mother of a 4 year old daughter.

I look forward to listening and hearing the concerns of voters and answering any questions that you may have.

Roxie Malone-Richards
    780-454-9710
    [email protected]

Comment

Hello and welcome...

You've brought up the salaries of council and keeping the Muni as your two key priorities at the time, I would like your answers to the following points:

1. How far are you prepared to roll back your salary? $1,000/ year or $5,000/ year or $10, 000/ year or more than that? What would determine the amount of salary that you feel is befitting the level of responsibility of the member of city council?

2. You have explained somewhat your position regarding the Muni. My questions are specific to your mention of the history of the airport to residents of ward 2.
      –How and why is keeping the airport open and operating better for the residents of your ward than, say, redeveloping the land into a mix of residential and commercial use?
      –How relevant is medevac issue is to the residents of ward 2? Medevacs do not service the people of edmonton. Why is landing at the muni preferencial to landing at the International for medical emergencies?
      –If it is crucial that medevacs land at the Muni, would you be open to keeping a single runway open exclusively for the use of medevac and other police/ medical emergency air craft while redeveloping the rest of the airfield?

Comment

Hello Roxie,

It is my understanding, and not mine alone, that the Muni, if closed, will enable the City to have a source of revenue from property taxes, etc., that, by far, outstrips the status quo, and will continue to do so. Plus, the added benefits of infill population in holding back urban sprawl, for one example, on the outskirts are quite evident. How does someone committed to the betterment of Edmonton turn down such an opportunity?

Thank you.
        Last edited by howie; 22-09-2010, 10:13 PM.
        Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Dear grish;
          Thank you for your questions:
          How far are you prepared to roll back your salary? $1,000/ year or $5,000/ year or $10, 000/ year or more than that? What would determine the amount of salary that you feel is befitting the level of responsibility of the member of city council?

I will rollback my wages 5.5%. This is the increase that councillors received in 2009, when the inflation rate was only 2%. I do not believe members on Council deserved or earned that raise. I feel the members of Council are adequately paid at approx $76,000 a year. One third of that salary and vehicle allowance ($567 a month) is tax exempt.

How and why is keeping the airport open and operating better for the residents of your ward than, say, redeveloping the land into a mix of residential and commercial use?
          In hearing from not only residents of Ward 2 but people living city and province wide, the City Centre Airport is viewed as an important point of access to and from the City of Edmonton. Many feel, as do I, that the airport needs to stay an airport if the Capital City of Alberta is to continue having the status of being the "Gateway to the North"
          How relevant is medevac issue is to the residents of ward 2? Medevacs do not service the people of edmonton.
          For fear of sounding over dramatic, The medivac issue is important to any human who cares about saving lives. Medivacs do indeed service the people of Edmonton. Not every one who resides in this city, is employed here. There are many, many Edmontonians that work in Ft Mac and other northern regions of our province, who have or could very well have need for a medivac service.
          Why is landing at the muni preferencial to landing at the International for medical emergencies?
          Approx. 400 of the 4000 medivac flights that fly into the Muni yearly are critical cases. Time is of the essence. Minutes and seconds count. The time it would take to transfer a patient or organ from medivac at the International. Nisku or Villeneuve airport to a helicopter, and to hospital is 30-45 minutes. Many feel the closure of the City Centre Airport will lead to fatalities because of this time factor.
          If it is crucial that medevacs land at the Muni, would you be open to keeping a single runway open exclusively for the use of medevac and other police/ medical emergency air craft while redeveloping the rest of the airfield?
          While I believe we need to get a hold of urban sprawl, there are so many other viable and available empty spaces in this city that can be utilized, that we really don't need to re-develop that particular piece of land. Research suggests that nothing can or will be built on that property for at least 15-20 years.
          It is a financially viable airport and would be even more so, if it wasn't the most tightly regulated publicly licensed airport in Canada.

I still maintain that my bottom line on the Airport issue is that, regardless of where you stand, City Council could have and should have given Edmontonians the right to vote on it. Period.

I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.
          Cheers!
          Roxie Malone-Richards
          Last edited by Roxie Malone-Richards; 22-09-2010, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Www.sharethefacts.ca might help if you had some real facts to base your campaigns on. Are you familiar with the site I have linked and what do you feel about that site?
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Dear Medwards;
              It is obvious that this website has a pro closure agenda. I stand by my facts and the extensive research that I have done on this issue.
              Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

Thank you for providing your responses to my questions and clarifying where you stand. I am left a little dissatisfied with some of the aspects of your responses and hope you can clarify the following points:
                1. 5.5% roll back for 12 individuals is collectively in the range of $50,000 to $60,000 per year. That amount of money will not bring the city's books into balance. You have mentioned that a councilor is adequately paid at $76000, however, comparable positions (in the level of expertise, time commitment and job security) elsewhere are typically much higher. As such, tallented people who may consider running for this elected, 3-year position are often already asked to take a pay cut and risk job security. Other than a token election promise, why do you think $76000 is an adequate level of compensation for a city councillor considering the level of responsibility and the amount of work required to represent many thousands of people?

2. I do not believe you have adequately addressed my question about the the specific benefits of the downtown airport to your constituents and hope you can clarify that position. In particular, as a city councillor your responsibilities include making decisions in managing funding to provide services to your constituents. The services include road maintenance, utilities, police, transit, libraries and recreation facilities, parks, provisions for sensible land use, support for business, etc. So, specific to these core responsibilities of a city councilor, what benefit is keeping the city center airport is to the constituents of Ward 2 and to the city of Edmonton at large?

3. Are you in favour of providing public transit to Edmonton International Airport?

Comment

Agenda? This website just seems to layout the facts. Are these facts true in your mind or is the airport authority lying in your mind?
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Sorry for double message, but I forgot to ask you the following follow-up questions:

You object to not giving the citizens of edmonton the vote on the fate of the airport. On the flip side of that are arguments that council is elected and represents the citizens of edmonton and is charged with the responsibility to make these types of decisions on our behalf following a consultation process.

Do you feel that the consultation process is inadequate in our city?

Do you have plans to make changes to the process? What are they?

The recent call for a plebiscite fell short on two counts. One is the timing of the petition (it should have taken place within 60 days of council decision). The other is the number of signatures collected not being representative of the required 10%.

Do you plan to make changes to petitions of this nature and allow all council decisions to be challenged and repealed without a specific time limit?

Do you plan to propose a change in the required number of signatures?

Do you see any potential problems with decreasing the required number of signatures making it easy for any special interest group to challenge council decisions?

Would that not clog up this governing body in running the city on behalf of the majority at great expense (an ensuing increase in our property taxes)?

THank you for your time,
                    Grish

Comment

I would like to know what you personally define as a major issue that affects the city of Edmonton as a whole. I know you have stated the airport issue as major, but what are other major issues in your opinion that affect the city as a whole?
                      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Looks like STARS has accepted reality, and alongside with Alberta Health Services, are planning to move to Edmonton International Airport. Seems they don't think too many patients are in jeopardy as you have put it. How do you respond to this fact, considering you have done 'extensive research' on this topic -

-how is your researching provide different results than what our medical professionals are saying and doing?

-When you say you haven't seen any plans that don't put medevac patients in jeopardy, can you state which plans you have looked at that do show these patients lives are in jeopardy if Alberta Health Services moves to Edmonton International Airport?

You seem to be a candidate that is really focusing in on the closing airport. You suggest that council is ignoring the voice of Edmonton - But that Voice of Edmonton was less than 10%. In fact, over 90% of Edmonton has said (by NOT signing the petition) that they didn't want a plebiscite. How come you are forgetting about 90% of Edmonton in your statements? Is our Voice not good enough? 90% of turned down Envision Edmonton at all corners this summer, whether it be our many festivals, or out on the streets, or when they went through our community leagues. 90% of us said no to the petition - how does democracy in your mind only look at less than 9% of the population?

-Can you tell us - What involvements or investments you have had or still have with the city center airport? Is anyone or company that is backing your campaign financially associated with Envision Edmonton or any of their partners?

-How do you see spending money on our University and LRT as a waste of money? Most of the money that would be spent on EXPO 2017, would be to built this permanent infrastructure that once that "5 month party" wraps up, will be a living legacy to Edmonton and the university of alberta. The u of a would re-use these buildings for their south campus, and its not like the LRT lines would fold up when the party was over.
                        -Do you realize that a large portion of the "5 Billion dollar" figure you have loosely tossed out there would not come from the city of edmonton, but instead would come from the Federal and Provincial Government? This money would likely not be available without Expo 2017.

Is your campaign going to be based on anything else either than the airport?
                        Last edited by Medwards; 23-09-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Dear Edmcowboy11:
                          I realize councillors are paid to make decisions for us, and that is okay with me. But when it comes to the big ticket items I feel the public should be consulted, and be allowed to make the ultimate decision as to whether they want their hard earned dollars paying for these items. Examples of some other issues that are, in my opinion, "major" are; the Expo 2017 Bid, the downtown arena, and the art gallery, to name a few.
                          Thank you for your question.
                          Cheers!
                          Roxie Malone-Richards

Comment

Dear Medwards;
                            You seem to be a candidate that is really focusing in on the closing airport.
                            Is your campaign going to be based on anything else either than the airport?
                            If you actually looked at my platform, you would see that there are many other issues that I feel are important to the future of this city. Did you notice that the majority of the questions posed to me on this thread have been about the airport?
                            What involvements or investments you have had or still have with the city center airport? Is anyone or company that is backing your campaign financially associated with Envision Edmonton or any of their partners?
                            None, and no.
                            How do you see spending money on our University and LRT as a waste of money?
                            I'm sorry but I missed the part in this thread where I actually said or implied that the University and LRT are a waste of money. Contrary to what you think about the infrastructure and legacy (as you put it) that will be left when Expo is done, we will be left with little more than warehouses, (after all the world fair is basically, in my opinion, a large scale trade show) and no substantial infrastructure in relation to the amount of debt we will incur. I believe there are other fiscally responsible ways of promoting the City of Edmonton. The LRT expansion is not relevant to the world fair bid as plans to expand the LRT are in the works, regardless of a bid to host.
                            Do you realize that a large portion of the "5 Billion dollar" figure you have loosely tossed out there would not come from the city of edmonton, but instead would come from the Federal and Provincial Government?
                            Again, I'm sorry I missed the part in this thread where I "loosely threw out the figure of 5 Billion dollars". The cost of hosting the Expo will be between 2-6 Billion dollars. I did not pick those numbers out of thin air, they are based on research.

As far as who is picking up the tab?.....The federal and provincial governments have shown little or no interest in funding this project.
                            Last edited by Roxie Malone-Richards; 23-09-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you for answering these questions of mine. I apologize, as I misquoted you. I thought you had said 5 billion, when in fact you just said billions.

I can see we differ in lines of reasoning and thinking, and as such, I have no further questions for you at this time, but want to wish you best of luck in your campaign and future endeavors.! May we get the best Edmonton for all!

Comment

Working...
                              X