X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qa

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Ah yes Mr. Cantor

But as you said about elephants on another thread....properly fed and taken care of...

Tom
    properly fed and taken care of yes. and properly housed in a proper place both for the elephant and those that sleep with it...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Thanks etownboarder
      (I'll get you for this SDM bah hahahahah)

All joking aside it is a good question.

I have followed the issue here on C2E, in the papers and as my wife and daughter are huge animal advocates I feel reasonably well informed.

All advice from what I would consider veterinary "reliable sources" indicates undue risk to Lucy's well being if a move is attempted.

As such and as I believe she is getting the best care possible it is my opinion that she should be left in current care until her health issues are dealt with.

But there is a second issue here...
      Based on the information available to me it is my opinion that the "out of country" advocates are not the least interested in Lucy's health but only in creating a precedent as a means to their own end and proving publicity is a useful tool in getting their desired result. Something I abhor and find it difficult to bow to.

If the opinion of Lucy's health was different, if the lobby group was local and worked with the Zoo instead of attacking it my opinion would likely be much different.

So until the time there is a substantive change in Lucy's health issues that would allow her to be moved I suggest and would support her current care.

I would also suggest that the "out of country" advocates solve problems in their world first as there are much more serious issues I have had the mis pleasure of seeing in the USA that should be addressed before coming to Edmonton.

To local advocates for moving Lucy may I suggest working with the Zoo co operatively until such time as Lucy may be moved to come up with options to make it possible and palatable for everyone.

Thanks again for the question.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
        Ah yes Mr. Cantor

But as you said about elephants on another thread....properly fed and taken care of...

Tom
        properly fed and taken care of yes. and properly housed in a proper place both for the elephant and those that sleep with it...
        Enough with the elephinks Ken,,,see what this conversation has lead to (lol)

Tom

Comment

Sorry etown for not finishing the question...

I had another issue make me take a short break.

The facility...

I am a huge advocate of the Zoo and a past Zoo parent.

It is in need of renovation and the current plans and models look very good to me.

It's a great first step.

I also appreciate the native animal focus that seems to be coming more prevalent and the injury/rescue component that seems to grow larger each time I visit.

For the long term I believe that the native animal/injury/rescue direction is the correct one to head in. Over time and in consultation with Zoo staff and local experts in the field arrange for releases to more natural settings (large scale wildlife parks) for the exotics to be moved to. Those exotics where it is not safe or practical allow to live out their lives in comfortable surroundings with proper care and continue to move to the native animal/injury/rescue model adding a larger education module working in conjunction with other local programs such as John Janzen and others.

Most important to achieve these goals is to determine and provide a long term budget sustainable (both for the zoo and the City) to work with while encouraging increased revenues through greater admissions, attractions and partnerships.

Edit (added after): The budget retrictions may require this to be a very long term project, but done in well thought out small steps one I think is attainable.

Hope that covers your question etownboarder.

Tom
          Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 15-10-2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It certainly does. Thanks.

Comment

And what about these questions I raised earlier? In the big discussion with kcantor you seem to have missed this one.

thanks

Originally posted by photogirl67 View Post
              On the airport lands but off the active aviation area exists additional opportunity. Being adjacent to aviation and aerospace industry creates the opportunity of technology transferring to non aviation but related industries. Wind Turbines, Solar Power, Composite construction along with the related hydraulics, pneumatics and electronics all have non aviation uses and adapting and cross pollinating these technologies can move business forward in new areas. Using infrastructure that has been unused since installed in the 70s/80s.
              Tom Hinderks
              www.hinderksward2.com
              I'm quite interested in this. How do you know those industries would be interested in using that space? Have studies been done as to its suitability for these purposes? Have they expressed interest in that land already?

I'm all for research on alternative energies and if it creates jobs in our ward, all the more. The thing about jobs though is the people have to go where the jobs they are qualified for are located. So saying someone that chooses to live in Ward 2 has to commute a long way and we need more jobs isn't painting the whole picture really. What if that person is an oil worker, or a factory worker, or in manufacturing? We can't really have all types of jobs in all wards and we cannot control where people choose to live. So there will always be commuting issues unless you force people to live next to their job site which isn't realistic. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I find that your ideas on uses for the airport are interesting and unlike other candidates have some thought put into it. My question though is - have any of your ideas ever been discussed by city council? Have any of them ever been suggested or put on the table?

thanks for your time

Comment

Photogirl67

I do apologize for missing your questions earlier.

- "I'm quite interested in this. How do you know those industries would be interested in using that space?"

Actually it was done for us in the late 70's by the City but is not on line.
                The location for industry is ideal, on a major truck route, adjacent to heavy rail, close to housing etc.

So good in fact that in the late 70's/early 80's the city paid to put the infrastructure into the NW corner of the airport for an industrial park. Yes indeed the access roads are there, the fire hydrants, man holes, sewer etc. so in order to implement the first stage of industrial land sales we just need to do some maintenance and a asphalt recap and then sub divide and add for sale signs.

So for most industries the work is done. For the higher tech (wind turbine etc) it is going to be a matter of courting them as has been done in targeted industries in the USA. But the site, transport systems and climate work for their interests and with the number of former aerospace workers in the area there is little reason other than effort that they can't be attracted.

- "Have studies been done as to its suitability for these purposes?" See the above please.

- "Have they expressed interest in that land already?" A question I can't get answered, but considering no development has been permitted in year on the lands I would assume we are starting fresh. Which just means more hard work.

- "I'm all for research on alternative energies and if it creates jobs in our ward, all the more. The thing about jobs though is the people have to go where the jobs they are qualified for are located. So saying someone that chooses to live in Ward 2 has to commute a long way and we need more jobs isn't painting the whole picture really. What if that person is an oil worker, or a factory worker, or in manufacturing? We can't really have all types of jobs in all wards and we cannot control where people choose to live. So there will always be commuting issues unless you force people to live next to their job site which isn't realistic. Do you have any thoughts on this?"

You are right but you can heavily influence the choices.

Spokane, Bellingham and several other American cities did just that in the 80s and 90s. They targeted select industries and focused on attracting them. Part of the attraction was being able to locate where housing was in close proximity...it worked well. Here we have an additional advantage that rather than starting fresh we have much of the infrastructure in place and can start faster at minimal expense.

People can and are influenced by both employment and housing, we have opportunity to create short commute options on both on Ward 2. By attracting new businesses that bring new residents we can be more effective.

- "My question though is - have any of your ideas ever been discussed by city council? Have any of them ever been suggested or put on the table?"

They have been presented to council in various forms since 2007/8 but I cannot say if they have been discussed, to the second part of your question they have been suggested and put on the table as noted above and some to Scott Clements when he was CEO of Edmonton Airports.

Again sorry for missing your questions earlier (must be getting tired) and I hope I have now covered them all.

Tom

Comment

Good luck Tom. We may disagree on some issues, but I truly appreciate you stepping forward to run for councillor.
                  aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Thomas Hinderks, If elected to council, and the decision to close airport remains (as it likely will) will you work to ensure that the best (non-aviation) vision for these lands are developed and help lay the foundation for this area? Will you be willing to work with other businesses in the city and in particular the ward you are in to invest and help build and redevelop the airport into a thriving bustling area that many of us on Connect2edmonton.ca believe these lands can transform into?
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                      Thomas Hinderks, If elected to council, and the decision to close airport remains (as it likely will) will you work to ensure that the best (non-aviation) vision for these lands are developed and help lay the foundation for this area? Will you be willing to work with other businesses in the city and in particular the ward you are in to invest and help build and redevelop the airport into a thriving bustling area that many of us on Connect2edmonton.ca believe these lands can transform into?
                      In consultation with the residents of Ward 2, yes I would.

But I would not blindly follow the current Master Planning Principals without considering all possible options and would not blindly follow any recommendations without taking the time to use our Community League system and other methods to consult with the residents of Ward 2 to include their direction on the development.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                        Good luck Tom. We may disagree on some issues, but I truly appreciate you stepping forward to run for councillor.
                        Thanks Jim

Comment

Tom,

Being as the decision is fairly firm to close the airport and reversal of that decision is highly unlikely, what key items would you like to see in the redevelopment of the former airport lands? I'm hoping to see a bit of vision in your reply, not a fluff answer like "I will consult the community". A leader should have a vision for the city and all areas of the city. Can you share a bit of your vision(s) while respecting the decision made in council in 2009?

Thanks,

Matt
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Medwards:

For additional detail please take a look at posts 5, 9,15,20 on this thread or my campaign website www.hinderksward2.com.

But in short my personal view of the best use with or without an airport remains consistent.

A place to create diverse long term sustainable employment using the maximum amount of existing infrastructure to reduce costs and create an economic advantage.

With that we also have the ability using existing buildings and area to create a Northside entertainment complex that could include both sports and arts facilities as well as a good sized outdoor public gathering/events area.

With this style of development we can also maintain the existing "Track" for the Indy Car events and expands its weekend uses to include other closed course events such as marathons, cycling races, alternative energy vehicle events and have the option to add 2-3 more major auto racing events each year. The "Track" site would also be a way of bringing winter competitions to the site, Skating, Snow Machine and other non powered winter competitions. The balance of the year the track surface would be part of the roadway system servicing the the employment area.

I also see the idea of the Edmonton Museums complex being included into the site as a way of creating a living history of Edmonton in the 20th Century complementing the current Fort Edmonton operations by picking up where they leave off.

Thank you for the question
                            Tom
                            Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 17-10-2010, 10:09 AM. Reason: spllng

Comment

Tom, I also wish you good luck. In the event you are not successful tonight, I hope you do not let it discourage you from running in a non-airport-issue year. That being said, you've given me a lot to think about between now and about 5pm when I mark my ballot.

I think you will make a fantastic councillor, whether it's in this election or the next one.

Comment

Thanks Alex

I do really appreciate the kind words and while always an optimist I am also a realist and know that my chances this year are thin.

Anyone who knows me knows that not being elected will not discourage me, worse...If I am not elected who ever is will have someone that will push for the Ward elected or not.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X