Candidate Thomas Hinderks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    On the airport lands but off the active aviation area exists additional opportunity. Being adjacent to aviation and aerospace industry creates the opportunity of technology transferring to non aviation but related industries. Wind Turbines, Solar Power, Composite construction along with the related hydraulics, pneumatics and electronics all have non aviation uses and adapting and cross pollinating these technologies can move business forward in new areas. Using infrastructure that has been unused since installed in the 70s/80s.
    Tom Hinderks
    www.hinderksward2.com
    I'm quite interested in this. How do you know those industries would be interested in using that space? Have studies been done as to its suitability for these purposes? Have they expressed interest in that land already?

I'm all for research on alternative energies and if it creates jobs in our ward, all the more. The thing about jobs though is the people have to go where the jobs they are qualified for are located. So saying someone that chooses to live in Ward 2 has to commute a long way and we need more jobs isn't painting the whole picture really. What if that person is an oil worker, or a factory worker, or in manufacturing? We can't really have all types of jobs in all wards and we cannot control where people choose to live. So there will always be commuting issues unless you force people to live next to their job site which isn't realistic. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I find that your ideas on uses for the airport are interesting and unlike other candidates have some thought put into it. My question though is - have any of your ideas ever been discussed by city council? Have any of them ever been suggested or put on the table?

thanks for your time

Comment

Originally posted by JOA View Post
      Can you clarify what exactly you would expect to be doing with the museum?

Nothing direct...

I would, as I would for other attractions in the area, promote and advocate, if invited (as I personally did with Michael Phair) I could sit as a Civic representative to the board.

But as far as direct operation I would not be able to be involved.

Hope that clears things

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by photogirl67 View Post
        SDM

I could not continue at the Aviation Museum and I do not believe it is a matter of conflict of interest so much as practicality.

As Executive Director of the Aviation Museum I need to put in 200-300hrs per month to keep the facility operating and growing.

As the Councilor for Ward 2 I anticipate it would require 200-300hrs per month to keep up with the meetings, reading, research, events, meet with residents and deal with other related issues.

Physically impossible to do both. As such I have an interim replacement on hand that would step into the gap and allow the boards to have the time to decide how best to replace my position.

I would ask to be involved in the Heritage and Tourism portfolios (as well as several others) but right now there are issues in Ward 2 and the City that are too important to the future to not stand up and address.

Tom
        Interesting. So why is it you are posing questions on the other candidates forums about the museum? Is that not already a conflict of interest?
        No it is not a conflict.

I am currently employed by the museum and as a function of my duties I was directed to ask the question.

My running for office is a personal decision as a Ward 2 resident and within my right.

If elected I will have to resign, once elected it would be a conflict in my mind.

Tom

Comment

thomas, you've asked this question to several candidates... now its your turn to answer your own question.

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

If I may also add on another question, if you state closing the City Center Airport would cause damage to the facility, would you work with the aviation museum to help it relocate to the International airport where it would have much more traffic pass by it, and also be able to use the runways, hence removing the 'damage to the facility'??

A Concerned Citizen asked me to ask you.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

From post #26 above where I have previously answered.

EDP

My answer:

As a decision by Edmonton City Council has created the situation it is the responsibility of the City deal with the outcomes. These fall into (2) parts.

1) Continued interim operations:
            - Immediate financial assistance as required due to the decrease of revenues caused by the decision. (Discontinuation of Historic aircraft visits, discontinuation of related events, additional costs associated with increased costs of acquisition and restoration, increased costs of marketing as a result of loss of noted events and other active aviation activities that currently offset marketing expenses).

- Cost of relocating select member organizations, approximately (4) of the current member organizations are active flying operations such as CASARA (Civil Air Search and Rescue Association) an all volunteer organization which the front line of search operations until the military is on site that will be forced to relocate with closure. I believe that as this is a result of Councils decision that these organizations should be compensated for relocation and provided with similarly economical facilities at an appropriately equipped airport to allow continued operations for the benefit of the community.

2) Long term effects:
            - Creation of the Edmonton Museums complex by the City of Edmonton, this is likely the only method of continued relevant operations open to the continued existence of the Museum and the creation of such a complex will benefit the Heritage community as a whole. Meeting the needs of an “Edmonton Museum” and creating a critical mass of Heritage tourism on the airport lands offers a “chance” of keeping the Aviation Museum a long term self sustaining operation.

- If this is not possible the City will need accept responsibility and absorb the cost of an appropriate budget for the operation of the Museum according to its current mandate, educational, operational goals and acquisition lists as well as provide for expansion to meet those goals in perpetuity including the addition of staff and contractors to replace the loss of volunteers caused by the effects of the decision.

While there are other factors that will need to be addressed these would be the main points.

Tom Hinderks
            Ward 2 Candidate
            To your second part
            "If I may also add on another question, if you state closing the City Center Airport would cause damage to the facility, would you work with the aviation museum to help it relocate to the International airport"

That would be the choice of the Museum and its member organizations..not mine. But it would likely pretty tough to justify to the residents of the Ward.

To what I see as the third part
            "where it would have much more traffic pass by it, and also be able to use the runways, hence removing the 'damage to the facility'??"

Interesting I would suggest you forward your research proving this theory to the President of the Museum 11410-Kingsway avenue, Edmonton Alberta T5G 0X4.

Tom
            Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 15-10-2010, 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

So if the airport is closing, and you feel this would do damage to the facility, isn't the onus upon the museum to ensure that any loss is mitigated?

Research is done. highway traffic counts are much higher along QE2 than along Kingsway blvd, and certainly, a lot more aviation related folks use YEG than YXD.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

This has now moved form a candidate discussion to a Museum discussion...there is already a thread on the topic and these very topics have been discussed by you and I extensively.

If you have research that supports your claims please forward it as noted above.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

In her twitter page, Roxie Malone-Richards has accused you of adopting her platform. I had asked her this question:

Originally posted by grish View Post
                  Speaking of twitter:

Originally posted by Roxie's twitter page
                  Is concerned how my platform has suddenly become koziak and hendriks platform, Hey u2, who writes your stuff? oh, wait, that would be me.
                  Do you really believe that two of your oponents routinely steal your platform?
                  to which she replied

Originally posted by Roxie Malone-Richards View Post
                  And to grish; Do you really believe that two of your oponents routinely steal your platform? I didn't say "routinely" did I? At last nights forum, both Don and Tom jumped on my platform bandwagon, with statements that are directly from my brochure, statements that incidentally, neither had previously mentioned in any manner, until last night. At one point I actually thought there was an echo in the room as one candidate consistently repeated my platform almost word for word. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps if they were more secure in their own positions and platforms, they wouldn't have to steal from others.

Thank you for your question.
                  my question is: Did you?

Comment

Good morning Grish

Interesting, thanks for the question.

No I have not.

Of course I encourage those interested to review my platform as per my website
                    www.hinderksward2.com
                    and compare with my comments and positions from the webcast forum http://events.statusfirm.com/browse/.../ward-2-forum/

so that they may draw their own conclusions.

But from my position I have not adopted anyone's platform and have been consistent to my own positions since the start and will continue to be.

Appreciate the awareness and the question.

Tom

Comment

perhaps if roxie was prepared to actually engage and discuss with others she would be less inclined to claim "ownership" of ideas and language. she would learn that much is shared and recognize that's what democracy really relies on.

while tom i don't agree on what is currently the elephant in the room neither of us is foolish to think that we "own" our respective positions or our respective sound bites for that matter.

outside the elephant, there is much that tom and i could manage to agree on and one would think that would be what roxie should be looking for rather than bemoaning the theft of "her" platform ideas and language. unfortunately, until the elephant is finally addressed and finally put to bed, we will all be forced to tip toe around in hard hats and steel toed boots watching people who should be able to agree sniping at each other instead of moving forward on common ground.
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Eloquent as usual Mr. Cantor.

Regardless of Elephinks in the room you and I have met minds and worked together on other issues and projects to benefit the city.

Roxie's position on her platform does not bother me at all. She may chose to believe what she wishes...I have made my platform and the web cast forum accessible on this thread and those wishing to pursue it have information easily available and will make their own determination, as it should be.

Thank you for the post Ken

Tom
                        Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 15-10-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Eloquent as usual Mr. Cantor.

Regardless of Elephinks in the room you and I have met minds and worked together on other issues and projects to benefit the city.

Roxie's position on her platform does not bother me at all. She may chose to believe what she wishes...I have made my platform and the web cast forum accessible on this thread and those wishing to pursue it have information easily available and will make their own determination, as it should be.

Thank you for the post Ken

Tom
                          tom,

i'm glad we can still like each other and can work together on other issues and projects but as you know it's been blown up to be an awfully big elephant...

ken
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Ah yes Mr. Cantor

But as you said about elephants on another thread....properly fed and taken care of...

Tom

Comment

I'm still waiting for someone to raise Lucy as an election issue!
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                                I'm still waiting for someone to raise Lucy as an election issue!
                                Dear Thomas,

What is your stance on Lucy the elephant at the Valley Zoo? What do you propose the City of Edmonton do with the facility?

Thanks,

etownboarder

Comment

Working...
                                X