No announcement yet.

Candidate Dan Dromarsky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking in the past what sort of issues would you have had plebisicites on if you had a time machine?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
      Executive Director
      Alberta Aviation Museum

Comment

Dan,
        I watched the Mayoral Forum last night, and while I am impressed with your overall spirit and involement, I have to say that some of your answers, and answers of the other challengers, more or less summed up the inexperience and the lack of knowledge of City Council and City administration in general. Case in point: the City Manager is the CAO, not the Mayor. Council is like a Board of Directors and the Mayor is like the Chairman. Think of the Citizenry as the shareholders. Council has one employee that represents and is accountable for the entire civic administration and that is the City Manager.
        The Mayor is one vote of 13. He is not the boss, and he does not run the City. So, my question is; how do you plan to implement your ideas; and why do you think you have the experience and expertise to be Mayor without even being on Council?

By the way Dan, I really do appreciate your answers and participation in not only this forum, but in other forums where you really have demonstrated that you are eager and involved with the community.
        Last edited by Jasper; 15-10-2010, 01:34 PM. Reason: Add last sentence

Comment

LRT ineffectiveness: It's important for the city to review scheduling on a regular basis and stagger maintenance so as not to be so disruptive. If we are going to expand on our LRT system, we must first make sure it is running in the most efficient manner so that ridership is encouraged. There is no point to expanding if we can't handle the current system. Thanks for your question and comments.

Comment

Winter Plan: Part of the winter plan would be to ensure major roadways and bus routes are cleared first as these are high volume traffic areas. It is just as important that the people driving to work arrive on time and safely as it is the people who are riding to work. Either way, everyone needs to arrive on time and in one piece. Most of the time, transit routes are on high traffic roads, so I believe that by clearing those routes first, we'd be achieving both goals without giving a higher priority to one or the other. Thanks for the question.

Comment

Capital Region Board: I think the idea of creating a board whereby we encourage the communities around us to work together in building a sustainable and attractive area is beneficial to all. I appreciate the link that you provided for their website and I will definitely look further into learning more about the board and all of their many goals and purposes. Not having been involved directly with the board and not having an established relationship with any of its members I don't feel that I can adequately give a report as to the effectiveness of this board at this time. If elected mayor, it would definitely be in my mind to consider this board and the other options available.
              Thank you for your question.

Comment

Past Plebiscites: the ECCA closure, selling of large city assets, reconstruction of Sir Winston Churchill Square... and I'm sure there's more in the history. I'm not interested in holding a plebiscite for every single issue, but I feel it is important to consult citizens when a major issue or decision is about to be made that a large number of Edmontonians feel passionate about.

Comment

Aviation Museum: This museum is a historical gem in our city, and a valuable tourist attraction. It would be a shame to see it's success come to an end with the imminent closure of the ECCA. The closure of the airport would make displaying new aircraft more difficult, as then you encounter the problem of transporting the aircraft from the nearest airport to the museum. If I were elected mayor, I would hope to legally review the process of the decision made by council to close the airport, and open it up to a plebiscite for the citizens to decide whether to keep it open or closed. If the citizens decide to close it, I would have to respect that decision, and hope that we can work together with the museum to hear their ideas on continuing their success. Thank you for your question and concern.

Comment

If being on city council is a prerequisite for being elected mayor, then unfortunately there is only 1 choice to vote for this election. Experience is not just city experience - if someone is a new councillor or a new mayor either way there is a learning curve. As you said, being mayor is only one vote - same as being a councillor. The difference is the ability to lead and be decisive for your council to follow good direction. You are right to say that the mayor's position is like the chair on a board - he is not the boss of the city. But he is a direct influence on the other people sitting at that board table, and is a spokesperson for the citizens of Edmonton. The spokesperson should express the concern and voice of all citizens from all wards, not just personal opinion. My experience in Edmonton being involved in business for over 10 years and my current position as an account executive with a private financial institution has provided me with the skills I feel a mayor should possess. Business sense, knowledge of budgeting and understanding of financial statements, communication skills, leadership skills, and networking skills are just a few of the important things I have learned over the years. I am respected by my peers in my business network and community and I believe my integrity and honesty are to thank for my reputation. I plan to implement my ideas through hard work, research, and my ability to inspire others for change. Being in sales for the last number of years, I feel I have a good grasp on how to convince people that the product or idea that I'm selling is in their best interest to buy into. Thank you for your question and comments. I'm glad you tuned into the forum last night. It's good for everyone to make an informed decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X