Thread: Alberta's new health board named

Default Alberta's new health board named

Alberta's new health board named

edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 11:49 am November 20, 2008

Health Minister Ron Liepert named his Alberta Health Services board this morning, adding eight new people to the 15-member board, effective Dec. 1.

The remaining seven members were already in place on an interim basis.

In May, Liepert blew up the old provincial system of nine regional health boards in favour of a single super board.

Link:
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...d-4d84fcc0f4ac

The new board's members are:
    - Ken Hughes, Springbank (chairman)
    Three-year term
    President, Alpine Insurance and Financial Inc.
    Former MP, Macleod riding
    Former interim chairman, Alberta Health Services board
    - Catherine Roozen, Edmonton (vice-chairwoman)
    Three-year term
    Director and secretary, Cathton Holdings Ltd. and the Allard Foundation
    Board member, Melcor Developments Ltd. and Corus Entertainment Inc.
    - Jack Ady, Cardston
    One-year term
    Former chairman, Chinook Health Region
    Former member, Mount Royal College Board of Governors
    - Linda Hohol, Calgary
    Two-year term
    Past president, TSX Venture Exchange
    Former executive vice president, Wealth Management, CIBC
    - John Lehners, Grande Prairie
    Two-year term
    Partner, Bearisto, Lehners, Ketchum Engineering Ltd.
    Trustee, Grande Prairie School District
    - Irene Lewis, Calgary
    Three-year term
    President and CEO, SAIT Polytechnic
    Chairwoman, Alberta Economic Development Authority's Energy Resource Committee
    - Don Sieben, Edmonton
    Three-year term
    Chartered accountant
    Member, Athabasca University and University of Alberta Board of Governors
    - Lori Andreachuk, Medicine Hat
    One-year term
    Senior partner, Andreachuk Popovitch Barristers and Solicitors
    Former adjudicator, Human Rights Commission
    - Gord Bontje, Red Deer
    Two-year term
    President and CEO, Laebon Developments Ltd.
    Former chairman, Red Deer Catholic Regional School Division
    - Teri Lynn Bougie, Sherwood Park
    Two-year term
    Partner, Ahlstrom Wright Oliver and Cooper LLP
    Past president, Sherwood Park and District Chamber of Commerce
    - Jim Clifford, Wyckoff, New Jersey
    One-year term
    Executive Vice President, Quantia Communications
    Former Group Company chairman, CommonHealth
    University of Alberta alumnus
    - Strater Crowfoot, DeWinton
    Two-year term
    Executive director and CEO, Indian Oil and Gas Canada
    Former board member, National Energy Board of Canada
    - Tony Franceschini, Edmonton
    Three-year term
    President and CEO, Stantec Inc.
    Director, CCI Thermal Technologies Inc. and Esterline Technologies Corporation
    - Andreas Laupacis, Toronto
    One-year term
    Executive director, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute
    Physician
    Member, Health Advisory Committee, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
    - Gord Winkel, Fort McMurray
    One-year term
    Vice president on loan from Syncrude Canada Ltd. to Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil
    Former board member, Northern Lights Health Region

Only one doctor and he doesn't even live here.
    Say goodbye health care, hello privatization.
    Stacking the board full of lawyers and insurance guys. Nice trick.

I'd rather C2E than work!

yup. that's pretty shocking.

even more shocking is that there's an american on the list (from NJ). who happened to be chairman of a company that specializes in communications for private healthcare companies.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'm shocked that anyone outside the province can be on the board.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Why does nearly everybody have no healthcare background at all? Oh yeah, it's because we have one of the stupidest, anti-intellectual governments in North America...yay

^. . . and who voted them into power? Why, one of the stupidest, non-intellectual, bunch of plebs in the country. I hope these 'true blues' are happy about this, and that they have deep enough pockets to sustain their happiness.

There've been threads in this forum about slogans, how about this one for Alberta:
    Alberta, don't get sick here.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by NINTman View Post
    Why does nearly everybody have no healthcare background at all? Oh yeah, it's because we have one of the stupidest, anti-intellectual governments in North America...yay
    let me start by saying i am far from convinced that this new delivery model will be a step forward rather than a step backward from the one it replaced - only time will answer that.

having said that however, to say on the other hand that tony franceschini - as just one example - as head of stantec has "no healthcare background at all" has no clue as to his or stantec's intimate involvement in the programming, delivery and operation of health care services and facilities. i do not know the personal or professional expertise or experience of most of these individuals so i cannot make any kind of blanket statement but if they have the same kind of networks and experience and the smarts and the passion that tony brings to everything he takes on, i am prepared to give them some time before passing judgement.

and as far as howie's search for alberta slogans goes, i would just as soon it not be "shoot from the hip on principle, presence or lack of principles notwithstanding". and as for not wanting to get sick here, perhaps howie would like to provide a list of where he would rather be to get quality health care instead of just a slogan.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

There's no disputing that quality health care is here in Alberta, my daughter is an M.D. My point is, what it's going to cost you out of your pocket with this lot at the helm? Perhaps my slogan should have read: Alberta, don't get sick here - unless you can afford to.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    There's no disputing that quality health care is here in Alberta, my daughter is an M.D. My point is, what it's going to cost you out of your pocket with this lot at the helm? Perhaps my slogan should have read: Alberta, don't get sick here - unless you can afford to.
    did i miss an announcement that said health care premiums were going to go up rather than be eliminated over the next 3 -4 years?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

No you didn't, but wait for the other foot to drop. You know how governments give with one hand and take with the other. I've said all I need to on this, thanks for your participation. Goodnight.

apparently, the way to foster public confidence in Liepert’s Health & Wellness world, is to craft a Health Services Board with limited health expertise and limited representation from actual health care workers….. a Health Services Board makeup with a conspicuously absent public health care interest, with membership from outside Alberta – from outside Canada.

the continued calls for Liepert to formally divulge the Alberta Conservative government’s plan for healthcare reform… continue to go unanswered. The plan – if one exists – is not for public eyes… dare I say, noooooooo plan!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NINTman View Post
    ... to say on the other hand that tony franceschini - as just one example - as head of stantec has "no healthcare background at all" has no clue as to his or stantec's intimate involvement in the programming, delivery and operation of health care services and facilities. i do not know the personal or professional expertise or experience of most of these individuals so i cannot make any kind of blanket statement but if they have the same kind of networks and experience and the smarts and the passion that tony brings to everything he takes on, i am prepared to give them some time before passing judgement.
    kcantor, your assessment on the, as you state, “intimate involvement in the programming, delivery and operation of health care services and facilities” is, to me, somewhat unclear, particularly in your choice (and arrangement) of these somewhat broad generalized phrasings. “Operation” suggests “ongoing/active/sustained”. “Programming” suggests… exactly what does programming suggest?

certainly, there is an automatic acceptance that Stantec has a reputation for, “creating high-performance, fiscally responsible, and sustainable buildings and interiors”, even as applied specifically to healthcare related buildings and interiors.

I am much more accepting to Stantec’s own phrasing in describing its healthcare related position as “offering complete services for healthcare projects” – one that follows the typical finality and hand-off of project based delivery. Your phrasing, your word choice, suggests Stantec has intimate involvement in the programming (?), delivery and operation of health care services…

my preference would be to have a Health Services Board membership that presents ready examples of members with a commitment to maintaining a health care system that adheres to the spirit as well as the letter of the Canada Health Act. To have, instead, a board membership with experience that leans more heavily toward finance, to oil & gas, to insurance, to law, to architecture… outwardly… casts doubt on the sincerity of the Alberta Conservative government’s commitment to public health care.

Where is Sheila....?
    Old Tale:
    Three people are at the Pearly Gates seeking entry
    What did you do to warrant entry?
    I was a Pediatric Doctor, and helped to save many lives.
    Granted entry and Welcome!
    I was a Registered Nurse, and helped to save many lives.
    Granted entry and Welcome!
    I was a Health Care Bureaucrat and helped to re engineer Health Care.
    Granted entry for three days, then you go to Hell for second stage care and rehabilitation !

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Little medical background on new health board

Little medical background on new health board
    Minister defends makeup of group as experienced business people able to make tough decisions
    Archie McLean, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 2:33 am

EDMONTON - Alberta's new health superboard will be forced to make some tough decisions if it wants to make the province's heath-care system more sustainable and accessible, Health Minister Ron Liepert says.

"We're going to have to do things different in Alberta than we've done in the past," said Liepert, who on Thursday announced the 15 permanent members of the Alberta Health Services Board. "So there will be some decisions that will have to be made that won't necessarily be popular, but I believe this group of individuals is up to the task."

The board includes seven interim members named in the spring as well as eight new members selected following an executive search.

The board is largely made up of corporate and business leaders with expertise in areas as diverse as oilsands, communications, marketing and law. Ken Hughes, a former MP and businessman will continue as chairman of the board.

Full Story: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...7-908b2213db3b

Paula Simon's column today tears right into Liepert.
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...3-ba8474d91068

I'd like to know what criteria they were looking for when they appointed these positions and why Eggen was overlooked and why people not even in this province or country are getting the job over Albertans, or does the tory government think Albertans aren't capable enough for the job unless they're the upper echelon of the business community.

Liepert's philosophical perspective as to what role the government should play towards our health care services scares me. Health care is a social service and not a business in the same sense that the conservatives would like to have it.
    It's not meant to make money but to provide for Albertans when we're sick or injured.

Kcantor, Franceschini may be good as a construction company ceo, but what experience does he have towards the social aspects of our services? These appointees are number crunchers and share the combined skillsets of a fortune 500 company rather than the typical social care beurocrats they're replacing.

Liepert constantly brushes off criticism the same way Dick Cheney brushes off criticism of Haliburton. In fact, I think it seems like a conflict of interest to have the former ceo of Stantec on the board since he's been paid to work for them in the past. Who's to say he won't just start handing contracts to his work-buddies?

How often do these guys meet anyways?
    They get 40k a piece plus $750 a meeting.
    So, the guys from New Jersey and Toronto, do they fly in every time there's a meeting or do they just telecommute and bill for the session?
    Who pays for the flights; is it first class or coach?
    It doesn't seem financially conservative to be flying in board members from across the country personally. It also seems that a position of this nature should be a full time job and not some PTA styled get-together. I think Liepert's lost his mind.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Liepert has the makings of a tough, smart, competent cabinet minister, but he's wasting his political capital with bad manners and bad temper, alienating potential allies, including those within his party. As Alberta's health minister, he has a grown-up job to do. It's time for him to start doing it like a grown-up.
    I agree. He comes across as an arrogant arsehole.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I agree. He comes across as an arrogant arsehole.
    The comment about the individual who had applied to be on the board, and turned down for not being the best person available, was highly offensive. I mean, if a recruitment firm were organizing it, why are politicians aware of this? Someone is medling in what should be private information. Imagine if you had applied to be on this board, and your name was raked through the mud because of it? I'd hesitate to apply for any government board now. Politicians will feel at liberty to tell all their friends or even joe public in the house, how bad your application was.
    Last edited by moahunter; 22-11-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Appears Liepert broke privacy rules. Is he exempt because he is a politician?

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    Appears Liepert broke privacy rules. Is he exempt because he is a politician?
    I think anything can be said in the house, without risk of defamation. But I agree - how can he know this information? Has a privacy rule been broken outside the house? What other applicants does he know about, and why? It begs the question - what other information is being sought and thrown around and shared in the halls of power, about the actions of opposition parties, important business people, and similar? No doubt there were many high ranking business people who applied - are they happy that politicians may be smirking about them not being good enough?
    Last edited by moahunter; 22-11-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Unfortunately, this is what you get from a government that has become so used to riding roughshod over all kinds of issues in the past 30-some years that this kind of behaviour becomes the norm for them. The only answer lies in the hands of the voters of this province, and we all know what they do by rote every time an election comes aruond. Sickening.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

/\Just because people vote differently from you doesn't mean they do so "by rote". .
    To call an election result sickening just because it isn't what you desire is pretty extreme. What kind of electoral reform would you suggest?

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    /\Just because people vote differently from you doesn't mean they do so "by rote". .
    To call an election result sickening just because it isn't what you desire is pretty extreme. What kind of electoral reform would you suggest?
    Our vote does not matter not as long as lobbying continues to be legal I can use the SPP for example. MP's are not being informed or brought into the democratic process only CEO's of major corperations and the PM himself. Same goes for this health board notice how 2 Americans were apointed. Sorry but ameriicans know very little about healthcare in fact their system is in shables if anything they can learn soemthing from us. This is just another step towards privatization and the interests/profits of select few.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

/\ so you would make lobbying illegal?

In Guantanamo (Banned)

/\ so you would make lobbying illegal?
    Yes. It can be argued that lobbying is unconstitutional in a sense because it allows people with particular interests which represent a minority to gain special access to law-makers and through contributions and favors have controversial relationships with representatives. This is a danger to democracy as described in Article 22 of the Federalist Papers

If it's not voting by rote, then it's the closest thing to it. It's not just one election result is it? It's an almost robotic ritual every time and so the government marches to it's own drummer and does what it likes, but if it works for you then I suppose it's okay. You're right, it isn't what I desire, and you'll have to trust me when I say that I have no sour grapes about it, I believe in the democratic process as much as anyone else, but anytime the same party, regardless of which party it is, keeps on being reelected, it gets a bit stale. Change is good.

Who did the actual hiring?
    If it was a recruiting agency, then Liepert would most likely not know the names of the people who were declined the position since their names are irrellevent. If Eggin was on a short list of potential candidates then Liepert might be in on the process at that point but then there wouldn't be any point to using a recruiting agency if you're going to do the hiring as well. Unless the recruiter was just in charge of shopping the ad around and gathering the names of candidates. That leads to the accountability question. Why is Liepert passing the blame of disqualifying Eggin onto the recruiting company if their role wasn't part of the actual hiring process?
    I think he's got a few questions to answer to.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ It was a recruiting firm in Calgary with close ties to the PC's. The Principal in charge, Brent Shervey, was Jim Dinning's campaign chair.
    Almost always open to debate...

He started his search career in 1995 after a 10 year career with Shell Canada in senior communications and public relations roles in both Calgary and Toronto. Prior to joining Shell, Brent worked in Edmonton where he served in senior roles with the Alberta Government, including 5 years as the Executive Assistant to then Premier Peter Lougheed. Brent's search experience has included senior executive roles including President and CEO in the not for profit, education, health care, energy, utilities and services sectors. He has extensive experience working with and advising search committees and Boards of Directors.

If someone wanted to stack a deck, this guy seems like one who knows how to play the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    having said that however, to say on the other hand that tony franceschini - as just one example - as head of stantec has "no healthcare background at all" has no clue as to his or stantec's intimate involvement in the programming, delivery and operation of health care services and facilities.
    yes, it would appear that the, as you state, "intimacy", has caught the eye of many... including the Journal's Paula Simons:

Paula Simons - Edmonton Journal Columnist
    "Still, the appearance of conflict of interest is too substantial to ignore. I'm sure Franceschini put his name forward with the sincere aim of serving his province and city. I'm sure there is some place we could make great use of his talent and experience. The Alberta Health Services Board just isn't it".
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...fc2e870ea2&p=2