Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Rossdale Urban Design Plan

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default West Rossdale Urban Design Plan

Got this in the mail today. It's addressed to me as 'workshop participant', but not sure which workshop that is. I signed up for the planning academy a while back, but they cancelled it on me due to low enrollment.

Anyways...

"You are invited to participate in the development of the West Rossdale Urban Design Plan. Consultants Carlyle and Associates have been retained by the city and they will guide us through two Workshops/Design Charettes planned for this project. We also want to know your views on the request for designation of this area as a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Workshop One:
    Tues Oct. 28
    630pm to 930pm
    Old Timers Cabin (9430 99 St)

Open House and Workshop Two:
    Wed Nov. 26
    5pm to 9pm
    Old Timers Cabin (9430 99 st)

If you have any questions, contact Kulbir Singh 780-496-6110 or [email protected]
    To confirm your attendance, contact Lorraine Collins 780-442-5429 or [email protected]

Don't know if this is open to everyone or not. Sounds interesting!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Where exactly is West Rossdale...I am assuming it's the area between the Rossdale Plant and the Legislature grounds.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

it was the part outlined in the new downtown plan that has been subsequently removed to be its own
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

Good to know...the Urban Design discussion for this area has been kickin' around for ages...

* Rossdale Low Density Infill Housing Residential Design Guidelines (1986)
    * Urban Design Strategy for Rossdale (1986)
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

^yup cool report
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

This is so typical Edmonton. We study and consult, we then park the study for 5-10 years and study it again.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    This is so typical Edmonton. We study and consult, we then park the study for 5-10 years and study it again.
    I think you are right on this one. I enjoyed getting involved in the SMART choices workshop pilot project for a half day for my neighborhood - a number of recommendations / consensus was reached that I think would spur on growth / simplify zoning. But, nothing has come of it. I wonder if it is worth peoples time participating in this sort of thing, I could have instead spent that half day doing something useful that will actually result in something (like walking outside, which might have made me a bit fitter).

I'd far rather the city just started leading on our behalf, taking actions (like targetted tax breaks or similar to make things happen) instead of endlessly consulting, to produce perfect plans that no-body implements.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-10-2008 at 05:48 PM.

In this case, I'm guessing that the off-and-on-again plans for a new Walterdale Bridge has impacts on urban planning for West Rossdale.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    I think you are right on this one. I enjoyed getting involved in the SMART choices workshop pilot project for a half day for my neighborhood - a number of recommendations / consensus was reached that I think would spur on growth / simplify zoning. But, nothing has come of it. I wonder if it is worth peoples time participating in this sort of thing, I could have instead spent that half day doing something useful that will actually result in something (like walking outside, which might have made me a bit fitter).

I'd far rather the city just started leading on our behalf, taking actions (like targetted tax breaks or similar to make things happen) instead of endlessly consulting, to produce perfect plans that no-body implements.
    Maybe it's just the way you've phrased it, but it seems like you're framing this as an action vs. consultaion sort of debate. While I understand where your frustration stems from (believe me!), I don't think the end result you propose is really what we should be striving for.
    Proper consultation is an absloutely integral part of the design process, and one who's role shouldn't be dimished.
    I'll agree that the city needs to do a better job of implementing and following through on the studies that have been conducted, but I think it needs to be acknolwedged that the consultants (planners, designers, etc) deal in one realm, while city hall and the beauracracy reside in another.
    It isn't a simple matter of one vs the other.

West Rossdale implementation Plan

DECL met with the City to go over the road/sidewalk/bike alignments planned for the new West Rossdale plan.

Overall some good ideas to improve the feel of community down there without reducing capacity or interfering with commuter flow.

More info:

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...sign-plan.aspx
    www.decl.org

Hopefully they add some flood-proofing measures into that plan

Stakeholder meetings are starting up soon, was fortunate to be the DECL rep selected. Looking forward to helping move this forward.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Well hope your sketch becomes reality.

Stage One, on its way to reality:

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...rovements.aspx
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I just relooked at the plans and im quite surprised they are hardly configuring the road network there. I understand their reasons for not going with the original plan, but the current state is a mess and perhaps could be addressed in another way. Specifically the bellamy hill/97ave and the 103st/bellamy hill mess which I feel is a bit unsafe

Last edited by IanO; 12-11-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

^Ooooh what is this "touch the water" promenade on first page. Don't remember ever reading about anything with that name.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

^yup... stairs down to the river for access for the public.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Interesting. Lots of double turn lanes in the preferred option, so expect a not-nice pedestrian experience unless there are also lots of no-right-turn-on-red signs (and enforcement). There are still too many vehicle lanes in places.

I wonder if SELRT was accounted in their 97ave traffic projections.

No mention of the canal?

Thank the lord.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Thank the lord.
    Some days Ian i have no clue what he hell you are thinking.....

Canal would be awesome and something great for this city.. Because who needs cool funky amenities? Right? Unique spaces in this city are totally not needed, we just need more brown and grey fat stucco buildings, surrounded by parking lots... YAY
    Last edited by IdriveaSubaru; 13-11-2013 at 12:42 AM.

I am of the opinion it would be excessively costly, time consuming and delay the development down there... sure it is 'neat', but i'd rather not see it there. Focus that money on QE Park and getting it going completed sooner than 2025.
    www.decl.org

I would think a canal - especially one that allows activities that can't be done on the river safely - would make housing in Lower Rossdale even more attractive to purchasers, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I would think a canal - especially one that allows activities that can't be done on the river safely - would make housing in Lower Rossdale even more attractive to purchasers, no?
    Could it, yes... but again... it would be very costly and the City would have to completely redo the west rossdale plan and these alignments.

move on
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Could it, yes... but again... it would be very costly and the City would have to completely redo the west rossdale plan and these alignments.

move on
    You bring up good points, and I don't see it happening, but I would think a canal would also help put Edmonton on the map, add another touch to a developing city.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post

move on
    You bring up good points, and I don't see it happening, but I would think a canal would also help put Edmonton on the map, add another touch to a developing city.
    Yes...absolutely: Edmonton could be another Welland!

Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post

move on
    As long as it is iconic and world class...
    www.decl.org

^^ yes that's true, wouldn't have to be spectacular, but it would have to be well planned and something to be proud of, certainly not an afterthought, which goes back to your issues raised, but still.

with blatchford having a canal adding another in WR would be awesome. We already have lots of water features in the city but having a couple very large stand out ones that can be used in ways the river can't would be amazing. Think about skating down this canal through a redeveloped Rossdale with downtown in the background, new walter dale lit up, high level lit up. Would be pretty friggin spectacular.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Canal = yes

Did I really just hear that the reason not to do it is that "the city will have to redo the plans" ?

That seems to be rather small thinking.

West Rossdale is a blank slate for building something truly signature and marvelous instead of just erecting another boring Yaletownesque condo farm. A canal c/w promenades, riverwalks and patios...opportunities for sailing and other water activities...hell, even a sandy beach! Couple that with a cool Rossdale plant redevelopment, promenades along the actual river, a sweet Walterdale bridge and better access to the Legislature grounds - the highrise condos there would be a hot commodity!

The idea should at least be explored some more rather than dismissed outright.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I've been working on a reimagining of Rossdale power plant as a part of my thesis studies and thought I'd share a sampling of it here.

The thesis is titled "Generating and Oasis: Architecture of Climatic Engagement for a Northern City" and involves recommissioning the plant as a geothermal generation facility for West Rossdale, utilizing its residual and ambient heat for public, communal warming (highlighted by a series of thermal baths in and adjacent to the plant), and finally, integrating into the proposal the city's much talked about urban gondola project. The proposal is meant to stimulate a discussion about how our city deals with the winter season and how this iconic structure might be transformed to facilitate a shift in our climatic identity.

In short, it is a proposition that quite literally opens up Rossdale to the city as a 'destination of warmth': one whose warm waters and interventions of climatic comfort will bring Edmontonians to the very edge of winter. Here, unlike the internalized architecture that has become the norm in this city, the line between inside and outside is blurred.

Strategic cuts and extractions are made in the building's brick surfaces and inserted into their voids a wood-surfaced path, inspired by the stairs and boardwalks found throughout the valley, brings the city in.

The extraction of a piece of the Boiler Hall's west facade calls out saying "welcome to the new Rossale" and in its track, bathers are brought back out into urbanity:

The northward extraction of one of the switchouse's facades creates a gateway for gondola and pedestrain arrival:

The removal of the southeast corner of the turbine hall plays with the idea of climatic threshold and extends patio culture well into the fringe seasons:

Cutting through the historic volumes, 'the path' puts Rossdale on exhibit and acts as a platform for community programming.

The water of the baths bring the public into contact with the found subterranean terrain and allow the structure to be seen from never before experienced perspectives. Its warm waters bring people out and into the wintery landscape and keep them there.

The smokestack towers take the idea of extraction and fragment to the city scale. By taking a few of the plant's smokestacks and distributing them throughout the valley repurposed as warming retreats. By offering visually related moments of comfort through nodes like this, the valley becomes an activated realm across all four seasons.

The thesis is meant to be a catalyst for a developing infrastructure of climatic engagement in the city: one that inspires other interventions of warming that tap into unutilized thermal resources to activate once desolate streets. Possibilities I have offered include solar-tube clad gondola cars, snow-accepting building skins, LRT-grate heated bus stops, awnings that take advantage of waste heat from bakery ovens, or even simply canopies of light that stimulate associations of warmth and comfort above key pedestrian routes.

The Gondola:

LRT-heated bus stops:

Sensory Urban Installations:

Last edited by whyteknight; 22-03-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

I am. STUNNED! by this awesomeness!
    You seriously need to show this to City Council.

I've no idea of the economics, and btw, please can the pig slaughter ... BUT:

What a great concept; to re-purpose around its original purpose.

Great thinking Whyteknight - this idea and these renderings are awe-inspiring!
    ... gobsmacked

Good to see Edmontonians keeping up with what I've known and expected from them... pushing the limits of our concept of northern city and urban living. Like the galleria project, I hope the economics of such things come together. It took us almost 60 years to get LRT where it is now, and geothermal is a large expense but would be great to ensure comfortable outdoor activities in such areas and change the world's perception of this city. Good work and quite creative in a 'useful for all the city' kind of way. Shows good utility and a needed twist on historical preservation.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Maybe this can be submitted as a Make Something Edmonton thing. Or a Pecha Kucha presentation.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 23-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Fantastic! The baths totally have a zumthor quality to them!
    love the idea of exploring within the 'ruinesque' powerplant

Great ideas Mike, bravo!
    www.decl.org

Love the outdoor hot tubs idea. That would be fantastic!

Just saw a CTV Edmonton promo for tonight's newscast on Rossdale Plant design ideas by a local architect, and they look like whyteknight's.

C2E SME

^Cool
    Well hopefully someone with the city is looking to move forward with something, this area could be such an attraction its not even funny how popular it could be. Especially with a funicular to help bring people to the area and with a new bridge and park on the south side of the river, this could be a great gathering area.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

After seeing some of Shanghai's riverfront development and what it does for tourists and locals alike, we desperately need this.
    www.decl.org

^Yep apparently there will be a little feature on it tonight at 6!
    "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

I gotta say, the idea of having year round georthermal bathes in the river valley is pretty cool. Hopefully the city will be able to live up to your ambition.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
    Lets get after it. Awesome.

^^^Great stuff. This site has so much potential.

It's a different type of potential than the Molson lands and Blatchford. I feel this one piece will be critical in downtown's ultimate development. It's so central and so "reachable". It's only 10 minutes walk from the legislature, just under 15minutes from Jasper and gives residents across the river on Sask drive even more excuses to cross the brand new Walterdale.

The entire project done right with the right strategies will completely transform the lower part of downtown.

Personally, I see the power plant itself being using as a farmer's market with a few cafes and such. Perhaps slightly like Granville island - an idea that has been kicked around. If this place can even turn out as such, I would have no qualms taking a walk from downtown to Rossdale even in the middle of winter.

Sadly, I feel the traction to get going on the redevelopment is almost laughable. It's definitely taken a rear seat to other projects around the core.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^^^Great stuff. This site has so much potential.

It's a different type of potential than the Molson lands and Blatchford. I feel this one piece will be critical in downtown's ultimate development. It's so central and so "reachable". It's only 10 minutes walk from the legislature, just under 15minutes from Jasper and gives residents across the river on Sask drive even more excuses to cross the brand new Walterdale.

The entire project done right with the right strategies will completely transform the lower part of downtown.

Personally, I see the power plant itself being using as a farmer's market with a few cafes and such. Perhaps slightly like Granville island - an idea that has been kicked around. If this place can even turn out as such, I would have no qualms taking a walk from downtown to Rossdale even in the middle of winter.

Sadly, I feel the traction to get going on the redevelopment is almost laughable. It's definitely taken a rear seat to other projects around the core.
    you aren't wrong... sadly. totally agree could be so vibrant. patience.

Waterfront Calgary always makes me think of what West Rossdale could and should be, slightly modified of course.

http://www.waterfrontcalgary.com
    www.decl.org

Alberta government makes bid to block condo towers in West Rossdale

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-west-rossdale
    The government of Alberta has made a bid to buy just over a half hectare of land in West Rossdale to prevent the city from allowing highrise condo towers to block views of the legislature.

It’s a $13-million deal that has some on council frustrated, worried pulling one chunk out of a complicated redevelopment project could jeopardize a really important city building effort.

“It’s coming at us at the 11th hour and, to me, it just doesn’t fit the timeline that’s required to develop a proper plan for what is a jewel in the Edmonton river valley,” said area Coun. Scott McKeen, reacting to a report released Thursday (Item 6.9). It’s scheduled to be debated at city council Tuesday. The province says Edmonton has until the end of December to decide or the funding will no longer be available.

“We have to look at the whole (West Rossdale) plan in total,” said McKeen. “It just doesn’t make sense. It’s frustrating and I think we should tell the province to hold their horses.”

The land in question is mostly vacant park land with four houses, lawn and trees along 105th Street south of 96th Avenue. The West Rossdale redevelopment plan calls for high-density, mixed-use residential buildings there. But the city report says the province would restrict development, building a walkway connection from the legislature to the river valley instead. It would result in fewer residents and less density in the final neighbourhood.

Infrastructure Minister Brian Mason said the province is interested in the land because it’s part of the legislature area, but couldn’t give any further details.

Chris Hodgson, responsible for land sales at the city, said his team has been working with the province on this deal for just over a month, when funding became available, but has known they’re interested in the property for at least a year.

Obviously there should be a height limit near to the Parliament, but trying to block all development makes it seem like the province is trying to purposefully sabotage their own capitol city.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^Agreed. Why high rise? The leg should remain a focal point. But I don't see why residential should be blocked altogether. Not okay. What height would work? Maybe 7-10? There are 4-5 floor building just north at higher parts of the hill that still allow views of the leg so lower down it should still be very doable. Why isn't the province bringing it up with the city rather than this tactic?

yeah it seems like some underhanded tactics that a shady business would do, not a government. The fact that it seems like they've made no attempt to discuss it with the city is astounding.

Chris Hodgson, responsible for land sales at the city, said his team has been working with the province on this deal for just over a month, when funding became available, but has known they’re interested in the property for at least a year.
    ^From the article.

If the province has been interested in the property for at least a year then it was under the PC's direction. Maybe it has more to do with blocking the view from Princess Alison's sky palace than anything else. Although I do agree there should be a limit and a space barrier on high rises around the ledge building. The ledge has to be the jewel in the crown. Not a building lost in between blocks of high rises.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Torn on this, Ledge as a stand alone surrounded by trees and fountains and lawns/gardens. Or get some low rise nice developments. Hrmm.

cbc also had an article up too.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    Torn on this, Ledge as a stand alone surrounded by trees and fountains and lawns/gardens. Or get some low rise nice developments. Hrmm.

cbc also had an article up too.
    if it's views of the legislature that's truly - and rightfully - important, hopefully this the first sign that the terrace building is on its way to being demolished.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Waterfront Calgary always makes me think of what West Rossdale could and should be, slightly modified of course.
    You can see in that development (although its quality is a bit of a mixed bag), the benefit of the strict rules Calgary has on throwing shadows on the bow river, so you don't get a wall of glass or stucco like you do in Edmonton on the edge of the ledge. The Eau Claire market redevelopment has been struggling with those rules for sometime now, as the City won't allow a shadow to be thrown on Princes Island.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-12-2015 at 08:02 AM.

C2E SME

I don't see this as controversial at all. This is a comparatively tiny piece of land that's directly beside the legislature, as far as I understand it. They just want the land West of 105th right? Not a big deal at all. Sell it to the province on the condition that the Terrace building gets knocked down the minute the deal closes. Everyone wins!

If they want the land on the East side of 105th as well, then that changes things a bit.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 11-12-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't see this as controversial at all. This is a comparatively tiny piece of land that's directly beside the legislature, as far as I understand it. They just want the land West of 105th right? Not a big deal at all. Sell it to the province on the condition that the Terrace building gets knocked down the minute the deal closes. Everyone wins!

If they want the land on the East side of 105th as well, then that changes things a bit.
    agreed.

if the lands are integrated into the legislative grounds and the river valley and become actively used, they won't be "vacant" even if they are not unbuilt upon.

in regard to impact on development timing, the plans are still very conceptual and omitting development on this portion would only accelerate the completion of development on the rest.

as for why council should be as surprised as they are if, as administration acknowledges, the city has known about the provincial interest for at least a year, that seems to me an issue with internal reporting procedures, not the province blind-siding anyone with short deadlines.

I believe AI is renovating the Terrace, it is not going anywhere anytime soon.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Only the land west of 105 Street south of 96 Avenue (immediately east of the Terrace Building).

There is a site map available on the City website. December 15 City Council meeting, Agenda Item 6.9, Attachment 2.

From reading the Administration report, it's clear that the province has expressed its interest in these lands as part of overall discussions over a land optimization strategy. It seems Administration waited until the eleventh hour to bring this to Council for approval.

This seems like a win/win. Once the Terrace Building is removed, the view corridor to the Legislature building and grounds from Edmonton's new signature Walterdale Bridge is protected. And - if it so chooses - the City has $13 million provincial dollars to invest in making the rest of the West Rossdale Plan a success.

C2E SME

Incredibly unfortunate to hear.

I agree with the province. There's nothing being sabotaged here other than the development-happy instincts of city council.

Source?

Heard the other day that some work is proceeding.
    www.decl.org

I also know that another Government department is moving in next year.
    Sounds like the Terrace is going to be around for some considerable time.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I also know that another Government department is moving in next year.
    Sounds like the Terrace is going to be around for some considerable time.
    i'm not sure that any short-term terrace building renovations - even to accommodate "another government department" - would be sufficient enough in scope or dollars invested to impact the long-term planning decision as to whether to keep the building long-term or do the "right" thing and demolish it. even a decision to do the right thing would probable take 5 plus years to implement.

^isn't it a bit odd that want to tear down a building that is about to serve a useful purpose (if you think government departments are useful), but don't want to tear down a building of similar age that will soon be completely empty with no useful purpose (old RAM)?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^isn't it a bit odd that want to tear down a building that is about to serve a useful purpose (if you think government departments are useful), but don't want to tear down a building of similar age that will soon be completely empty with no useful purpose (old RAM)?
    it's not odd at all.

it's about being able to make good decisions regarding different alternatives based on assessing and prioritizing different circumstances, different locations, different option, different requirements and different objectives etc. etc. etc.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

You could fit a lot of temporary cubicles in the RAM while they tear down and rebuild something to replace the Terrace. I would love for them to tear it down and build a new tower downtown for gov't employees.

^ Why build a new tower at all when they can fill the existing office tower spaces that will be vacant due to moves to new or refurbished towers?

^dont they have to refurbish the spaces that are currently being emptied? And spend millions with asbestos removal and bringing everything up to code?

Terrace building has a fairly large data center in it... Its not just a cubicle farm
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...city-1.3367975

The city has agreed to move forward with a $13-million offer from the province to purchase land in order to expand the legislature grounds.

The Alberta government wants to buy a lot on the corner of 105th Street and 96th Avenue. The area is comprised mainly of vacant park land.

Council agreed Tuesday to negotiate with the province on the condition they work together to integrate the city's proposal, which includes plans for a park and cost-sharing for improvements.

"The issue is not price. The issue is timing and consolidation with the road closure," said Mayor Don Iveson after the meeting.

"We would like some assurances from the province about how they would intend to use the land over time, how it would integrate with our plans."

Council has been working on a vision for West Rossdale for a decade, calling for high-density and mixed-use residential buildings. But the province's plan is not in line with what the city wants to achieve.

A city report released last week says the province was bidding for the site to prevent the construction of high-rise condo towers that would block views of the legislature.

I agree with the government that the ledge should not have high rises (or low rises) too close by. It's a historical building that gets photographed a lot from the air. It's nice to get unobstructed views from different angles, on the ground and in the air. It should be given the prominence it needs.

Citizens invited to Pop-Up Museum in West Rossdale

July 21, 2016

The City of Edmonton and Edmonton City as Museum Project are hosting a Pop-Up Museum in West Rossdale. Citizens are invited to learn more about one of our city’s most historically significant areas and to share stories about their connection to this meaningful place.
    Date: Sunday, July 24, 2016
    Time: Noon - 4 p.m.

Free BBQ provided by Fat Franks

“River Crossing, also known as West Rossdale, is at the heart of our city. It is a place that is historically and culturally significant for many people, and where the history is long, layered, and deep,” said Lisa Larson, Senior Planner, City of Edmonton. “It is a site that has been at the heart of trade, travel, kinship, spirituality, community, and culture for thousands of years.”

The Pop-Up Museum will be an interactive opportunity to not only learn more about this past, but for attendees to also share their connection to the West Rossdale area. Attendees who have a photo or item related to the area are encouraged to bring the items to be shared and displayed at the event.
    For more information:

Edmonton.ca/RiverCrossing
    Citymuseumedmonton.ca/events
    Media contact:

Cheryl Mitchell
    Communications Advisor, City of Edmonton
    780-944-0511
    www.decl.org

Citizens invited to review Heritage Interpretive Plan for West Rossdale

March 21, 2017

Citizens are invited to learn about and provide feedback on the draft Heritage Interpretive Plan for the River Crossing (West Rossdale) area at a drop-in open house.

Date: Monday, April 3, 2017
    Time: 5 -7 p.m.
    Location: Edmonton Tower (3rd floor - Room 380, 10111 104 Avenue)

Input on the draft plan can also be provided through an online form available at Edmonton.ca/HeritageInterpretivePlan from March 21 to April 5, 2017. This will be the last opportunity to provide feedback on this document before it goes to City Council this summer.

The Heritage Interpretive Plan will guide how heritage and culture are reflected and communicated throughout the area as it evolves over time. It will honour our collective heritage, including both Indigenous and non-Indigenous heritage and culture, and will contribute to the future identity of this special place within Edmonton and the North Saskatchewan River Valley.

The draft plan was created by building off of previous research, work and discussions around heritage in the River Crossing area as well as through input collected through various public engagement opportunities that occurred in 2016.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/HeritageInterpretivePlan

Media contact:

Cheryl Mitchell
    780-944-0511
    www.decl.org

Reminder

Citizens invited to review Heritage Interpretive Plan for West Rossdale

March 21, 2017

Citizens are invited to learn about and provide feedback on the draft Heritage Interpretive Plan for the River Crossing (West Rossdale) area at a drop-in open house.

Date: Monday, April 3, 2017
    Time: 5 -7 p.m.
    Location: Edmonton Tower (3rd floor - Room 380, 10111 104 Avenue)

Input on the draft plan can also be provided through an online form available at Edmonton.ca/HeritageInterpretivePlan from March 21 to April 5, 2017. This will be the last opportunity to provide feedback on this document before it goes to City Council this summer.

The Heritage Interpretive Plan will guide how heritage and culture are reflected and communicated throughout the area as it evolves over time. It will honour our collective heritage, including both Indigenous and non-Indigenous heritage and culture, and will contribute to the future identity of this special place within Edmonton and the North Saskatchewan River Valley.

The draft plan was created by building off of previous research, work and discussions around heritage in the River Crossing area as well as through input collected through various public engagement opportunities that occurred in 2016.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/HeritageInterpretivePlan

Media contact:

Cheryl Mitchell
    780-944-0511
    www.decl.org

Maybe I've said this before, but every time I wander down to River Valley Road to watch Canada Day fireworks, to Remax Field to watch a ball game, or just for a bike ride, I pine for redevelopment of this area.

Every July 1 evening we see empty fields that get filled with cars and people like some kind of Edson area bush party, and thousands of people who flee immediately after the last firework c/w traffic jams because there's no reason to stay any longer. Every time there's a ballgame on at Remax, people just come and go.

Imagine this:
    People watching those fireworks from riverside restaurant and cafe patios at or near the Rossdale Plant then continue on until late.
    Familes strolling a nicely lit riverside promenade before and after the fireworks or ballgame c/w street performers, food trucks and vendors.
    More people being able to watch the fireworks from watercraft at Rossdale docks, including the Edmonton Queen.
    Those empty fields replaced with condos and duplexes from which residents can invite friends for viewing the events from their own patios or rooftop gardens.
    A mid-range hotel or two that will be filled with tourists and staycationers.

A redeveloped Lower Rossdale and Rossdale Plant would not only add vibrancy to the area, but that vibrancy can lead to current and new events moving to that part of the river. There's dragon boat racing, Sourdough Raft Race and other events on the river. There's the Remax ballpark from which more events other than baseball can be programmed.

Sure, some people will hate to lose their precious field parking but that can be remedied with park & ride services at Remax Field.
    The usual river valley BANANA contingent will whine, but my understanding is that this is not natural river valley land but abandoned developed land.

Make it happen, Edmonton!
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 03-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.

YES x 1000

Concur. A few places for arts, celebrations, festivals, patios, restaurants and the medium scale density of townhouses and low-rise. This is our Forks, our potential Pearl District, our seawall.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Don't think you will get many people that disagree with the merit and the opportunity...but I can't see anything moving forward on this within a decade.

The city would be doing everyone a big favor by selling this land to a private developer. This is just Blatchford 2.0 waiting to happen, and what a shame that would be.

I think it's a lot closer to happening than that.

An upgrade to the waterfront near Rossdale is in the plans, albeit delayed:
    https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...promenade.aspx

I would personally love to see something like the Re:Start mall that was built in downtown Christchurch after the earthquake. It would allow for incremental growth in retail, food and restaurants and some cool patio areas.
    http://www.leighsconstruction.co.nz/...t_city_mall-11

Here's an example of a similar project in Shoreditch, London:
    https://www.boxpark.co.uk/shoreditch/about/

The advantage of these projects is that they're relatively cheap to install and maintain. Also, there lack of replacement cost reduces the insurance cost being in a flood zone.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

[QUOTE=mnugent;835809]I think it's a lot closer to happening than that.

From the City website:

All timelines are subject to change.
    Strategy - completed
    Concept design — currently underway
    Preliminary/detailed design — 2016
    Construction start— 2017

Personally I think its a puny area and won't be much of a draw. It would need to go all the way down to Groat Road with vistas, look outs, room for people to set up chairs and paint, picnic etc., food vendors - then we would have something to brag about.

C2E SME

I don't think you need to do much West of 105th. Paving the parking lots along RVR would be a nice start, along with widening the multi-use path. After that, one or two small commercial spaces where a small cafe and/or bike rental place could operate out of would be great. It's ridiculous that there is no place to buy a drink or ice cream or take a leak along one of the most well used areas of our river valley. And permanently ban that ridiculous BC Cherry trailer. Seeing that thing parked in a muddy parking lot makes the city look so small town. It's brutal. Why do they continue to get a permit?

As far as Rossdale itself goes, that's a whole other ballgame. There is a ton of un- and under-developed land in that area. And a total lack of most services for the few that live there. However, I think that Edmonton only has the capacity to take on so many redevelopments at once. Between Blatchford, Ice District, the Quarters, the North Edge, Strathearn, Century Park and probably half a dozen others I'm forgetting there is a huge amount of redevelopment projects that are well ahead of Rossdale. But, starting to plan for the future of Rossdale would certainly be worthwhile.

The City should seek Design Build Proposals for development by the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The City should seek Design Build Proposals for development by the private sector.
    Isn't it too far into the process for any other ideas/concepts?

Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Isn't it too far into the process for any other ideas/concepts?
    Yes. I read the Community input report. Lots of expectations. I don't have confidence in the City managing any project given the history of screw ups. Even the Project Webpage does not have a detailed map of whats proposed - its short on information. I would like to be able to see clearly where trails are, seating etc. Nothing on that webpage.

Build it out in 5-10years with townhouses, a few corner CRUs, 4-6 storey with a couple of mid-rise towers of 8-14 as you go north and use some of this profits to fund the redevelopment of the steam generation plant into an arts/destination restaurant/brewery/pump house patio.
    www.decl.org

You forgot to mention the need for parking or a parkade which without a large restaurant/brewery pub might fail. That said, in Mexico City there has been a movement to convert old markets into amazing food places like this one: Mercado Roma "Mercado Roma is a public market in the format of a gourmet food hall located on Querétaro street in the Colonia Roma Norte neighbourhood of Mexico City." If you look at the google walk though you get the idea. It is made up of 30-40 small places that make fresh food of different types, also pop ups, wine and brewer there. Its packed with 20-40 year olds mingling and also has space for arts exhibits etc. I go there often. A few months back we had steaks at a little kiosk, ribeye grilled and they were fantastic and cheap. Its just 2 people running the place. I complimented the Chef on the coal grill and asked if the beef was from Sonora. He spoke english and said, no its from Alberta Canada. I was surprised as hell. I said I was from Edmonton and then he said the guy is from Edmonton apparently and has a chain of 12 places now in Mexico City. Who that is I have no idea. This location is like a food court situation but all stalls are open. There is a steak, coffee roaster, dim sum place, Italian, Greek, salads, tacos, sushi, ramen, chicken, wine bar, and lots of others. I often stay in the Roma & Zone Rosa area so go here often. Anyway this type of place attracts foot traffic to dine in or get food to go. Rents are low because its a stall type setting and successful for obvious reasons. So maybe create some better synergy with the river and touch the water.

http://mercadoroma.com/roma/el-mercado/

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/t...xico-city.html

Lots of videos on Youtube under Mercado Roma
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-07-2017 at 08:55 PM.

There are many of opportunities for parking in new projects, additional transit and public parking.
    www.decl.org

[QUOTE=EdmTrekker;835870]
    Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    I think it's a lot closer to happening than that.

From the City website:

All timelines are subject to change.
    Strategy - completed
    Concept design — currently underway
    Preliminary/detailed design — 2016
    Construction start— 2017

Personally I think its a puny area and won't be much of a draw. It would need to go all the way down to Groat Road with vistas, look outs, room for people to set up chairs and paint, picnic etc., food vendors - then we would have something to brag about.
    You're not wrong. It is a prime area that is tragically under-utilized, overlooked, and driven by. There is potential to have a boat launch, a minimalist coffee shop, or a bar with a patio over the river, or two, or until it's complete. The Touch the Water project might not be much of a draw initially but would be a vital step in a place that seems to need them from time to time. It is a neighbourhood that's between the largest urban park in North America and the downtown of the fastest growing major city in Canada... things should work out eventually.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Credit @agrabia (Andy Grabia) for these pics....

Back from the public meeting on River Crossing/Rossdale, and happy to report that Remax Field/John Ducey Ballpark remains in all three concepts. There’s even an image of a “revitalized” ballpark. #yeg #yegcc #yegball

https://twitter.com/agrabia/status/1053092541107589120

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast