Thread: Saddledome replacement?

Default Saddledome replacement?

As is common knowledge, Calgary is thinking of replacing the Saddledome. I was there on the weekend and the talk is building the new facility in Airdrie. wtf. Just like that white elephant 'balzac mall'. Who thinks this sh*t up? No Field of Dreams here folks, "if you build it, they will stay away".

Interesting.

Is this as credible as the rumours up here figuring we need to put a new rink here along the SW section of the Henday?

Pretty hard to take this topic seriously.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The Saddledump's replacement in Airdrie is not going to happen.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Long Term Contributor

^bingo.

No way jose.

It would be reincorporated into the stampede grounds IMO.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

just reporting what I hear. I just think of Ottawa and the Kanata site. yikes.

So where did you hear this?

C2E Long Term Contributor

I just hope that a Sad-dome replacement happens years after a new Edmonton downtown arena. Many major touring acts come here instead of Calgary because the stage equipment can't fit into the Sad-dome. Great for us!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    In Calgary. Sorry, I didn't take down names, locations, SINs, and next of kin info. I was just visiting, since when are credible sources a requirement for gossip?

Well, as a hockey rumour monger, I certainly look for sources that are more credible than others. Am I going to spread what I heard from a random fan in a bar to other rumour mongers? Probably not. But I may use it as an idea to poke around and see if it has any legs amongst my peers. And ya never know, Garoich probably makes things up and consults with a magic 8-ball for his weekly Sunday rumour mill article. We all know Eklund (Internet-only rumour monger) uses a dart board, a ouiji board and his tickle-me-Elmo doll.

But off-topic hockey babble aside. My point here is that the source is definitely a necessity when talking gossip and considering its validity.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    In Calgary. Sorry, I didn't take down names, locations, SINs, and next of kin info. I was just visiting, since when are credible sources a requirement for gossip?
    I was just wondering if there was a credible source. No need to get all defensive man. If there was some sort of source, I could then bounce if off some contacts I know to see if there is any merit to it.

Carrying on... I don't think a saddledome replacement will be anywhere outside of Central Calgary...

I'd rather C2E than work!

I thought that they were just going to finish the upper portion of the building as originally designed
    Last edited by Medwards; 15-10-2008 at 04:52 PM.

A quick google search reveals some more info on ideas regarding a new Calgary arena.

Interesting article which you could project an arena plan from:
    http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...8-50a5c567ea25

And a fan site's take on this article too:
    http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=59387

Suddenly I realize how off-topic this all is on this site in the first place. I feel dirty looking things up about Calgary. Time to go wash my eyes out with soap.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    I was just wondering if there was a credible source. No need to get all defensive man. If there was some sort of source, I could then bounce if off some contacts I know to see if there is any merit to it.

Carrying on... I don't think a saddledome replacement will be anywhere outside of Central Calgary...
    Sorry, my bad. Kinda came out wrong. My cousin's company owns a luxury suite in the Saddledome, it was thrown around at the Vancouver game last week.

I think this Saddledome to Airdrie rumour comes from the playbook of Cathy Oleson's way of doing business with your big city neighbor.

In the meantime, this thread gives me the opportunity to post this:

^ where's the marshmellows and hotdogs when you need them??

Smore's anyone?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Saddledome - the world's only concave dome.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Saddledome = Tampon Dome

I'm guessing they'll get a new arena, not sure how long it will take though.
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-for-new-arena

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Probably as long as this thread's opening post, since we've been talking about this for almost 10 years now. Seriously though I'd like to read King's response.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I'd guess a new arena deal will be announced during the next provincial election or shortly after. The UCP would be more than willing to pay for a new arena for Calgary to buy some votes. Some mebers would object but I'd best most would hold their nose and support it.

wasn't there a more recent thread on this?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I'd guess a new arena deal will be announced during the next provincial election or shortly after. The UCP would be more than willing to pay for a new arena for Calgary to buy some votes. Some mebers would object but I'd best most would hold their nose and support it.
    I thought the UCP was against funding a Calgary arena, but I don't recall when or where that was said. Maybe I am thinking that because it was the position of one of the predecessor parties, so perhaps it is not binding on the UCP.

I wonder if any UCP official could indicate or clarify their position on the Calgary arena.

C2E SME

The UCP would probably find a way to help fund Calgary’s 2026 Olympic bid!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The next Provincial election is a long way away in the scheme of things as they relate to any timeline here. Flames orginization needs months not years.

Nonsense. The saddledome is hardly in danger of collapse or anything, as much as groups like the Flames and the Oilers claim. They just see a brand new, sparkly toy up the QE2 and they want one too.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    The UCP would probably find a way to help fund Calgary’s 2026 Olympic bid!

What if Calgary lose the bid? this will create a bit of a mess for delaying building a new arena.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks