Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 2,901 to 2,936 of 2936

Thread: Around the NHL

  1. #2901

    Default Schultz is killing it

    +18 on the year. I always thought he got an unfair wrap in Edmonton, thrown into a role he was not ready for (first pairing).

    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...-to-make-of-it

    This brings his season total to 17 points in 30 games, good for 0.57 points per game. He’s on the same top-scoring list as the NHL’s truly elite d-men, tied with New York’s Ryan McDonagh, just behind Duncan Keith and Dustin Byfuglien and just ahead of Brent Seabrook and Morgan Rielly. That’s good company, though one of these things (Schultz) is not like the others.

    All of the other d-men at the top of the list play more than 20 minutes per game. Schultz plays just 16:58. He is third-pairing in Pittsburgh, teamed up with Ian Cole, and behind the Top 4 of Olli Maatta, Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin and Trevor Daley. That’s s luxury Schultz never had in Edmonton, playing sheltered minutes on a team with a real No. 1 d-man, and other solid defenders.

  2. #2902
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    5,375

    Default

    He escaped the lynch mob in Edmonton

  3. #2903
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    He escaped the lynch mob in Edmonton
    For sure.

    Oilers fans seem to love to have someone to hate, going back the the WHA days. Someone to pin all the blame on.

    I can't remember the name of the defenceman who was heckled out of town in the early days, but it was disgusting. I recall the guy's girlfriend crying in the crowd as Oilers fans were chanting "'name here', telephone" every time he stepped on the ice. They see things in players that just aren't there, and then dump on them for being who they are, and not who they think they are.

    The "future Norris Trophy winner" comment was an example of that. Not realistic, as many pointed out when it was said, and really unfair to expect that from a young player.

    Jason Arnott also comes to mind. They rode him out of town. He couldn't do anything right, and the unrealistic pressure got to him to the point they had to get rid of him. I can't see it making a player want to play here.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  4. #2904
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Pat Price maybe?

  5. #2905

    Default

    Jimmy Carson despised being the "guy we got for Gretzky."
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  6. #2906
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    While I agree that Schultz got carved here a lot the other side of it is the player flat out gave up while playing here. After awhile he was just going through the motions. In fairness to him the org gave him, and some notable others complete contractual entitlement here and an endless line of excuses to have failing results.

    Put a good player on a club that REQUIRES players to play well to get toi and guess what happens.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  7. #2907
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Dirty Senator, Hoffman, gets suspended only 2 games for crosschecking Couture, from behind, in the head. An imminently dirty and dangerous play and hunting down an opponent from behind is not only one of the worst, but one of the most gutless plays possible in the sport. Complete with using the stick as a weapon.

    How this isn't a dozen games is beyond me.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  8. #2908
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Pat Price maybe?
    No, it wasn't him. Pat Price was a "name" of sorts. This fellow was a nobody, and, as far as I know, never played anywhere afterward.

    I remember Grant Fuhr going through an especially rough patch. The joke on the street was that he tried to kill himself by stepping in front of a bus - but it went between his legs. I also recall him giving fans the finger. Now he's Hall of Fame.

    "Pet Whipping Boy Syndrome" isn't exclusive to Edmonton. It's as bad, or worse, in Montreal (Deshairnais, goaltender Andre "Red Light Racicot"), Toronto (Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf), and some other Canadian cities. I don't think it's as bad in the US.

    Schultz has redeemed himself somewhat in the right situation. Now I think a Pens D is out for a bit (Daley?). We'll see how his does in a bigger role.


    Lou Lamoriello has laid down the law in Toronto. Matt Martin (?) had to cut his flowing locks. It's a team thing.

    We used to joke about the "Leafs haircut" in the 70's - they had so many players with great hair, and curly locks. And then, of course, there was what hockey fans everywhere once called the "Edmonton haircut" during the glory days - the mullet. Pretty soon a lot of players from different teams were doing it, notably Jagr, but it was "Edmonton hair" first.

    Martin has no problem with it. But I think making players cut their hair a certain way is a particularly Toronto-ish way of doing things. Come to think of it, Babcock has great hair. Maybe they should pick up Eakins as an assistant, in charge of hair.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  9. #2909
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Dirty Senator, Hoffman, gets suspended only 2 games for crosschecking Couture, from behind, in the head. An imminently dirty and dangerous play and hunting down an opponent from behind is not only one of the worst, but one of the most gutless plays possible in the sport. Complete with using the stick as a weapon.

    How this isn't a dozen games is beyond me.
    That's how I felt. The argument in Hoffman's favour is that his stick rode up on the other defenceman's stick, but it looked to me he was high and hard anyway. It would have got Couture in the back of the neck, and it may have hurt him worse.

    Hoffman hasn't been suspended before. He's not known as a dirty player. Ottawa were fired up from a tough practice after a bad loss, where the coach was swearing at players. It was shown on video, with a lot of bleeps, and it was embarrassing. They came out p'd off. When they're on their game they're a chippy team.

    It was also Chris Neil's 1000th game, all with the Sens. After that long he is just as much a template for the style of the Ottawa Senators as is Karlsson. I think they were a little too fired up.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  10. #2910
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    ^Thanks, the Sens are not a team I have a good pulse on. I tend to disregard them. They seem incomplete and defensively suspect to me. Agree totally on the Hoffman thing. Who cares if the stick rode up slightly. The action was still crosschecking somebody from behind and from an act of obvious intent formed retribution. Its plays like that where a player targets and hunts down another that the NHL needs to get a grip on.

    Part of the problem is the NHL reviews of this are tied by its rules in terms of prior infractions and suspension history impacting what the current suspension is. I can't see that as a blanket application. Some actions have to be viewed as serious enough to supercede that. I don't agree either that without noted priors that the play, or player is not dirty. That's an incredibly dirty play there and I don't think a history should be required of these actions in order to bring down a longer suspension.

    That aside its odd with the Sens that they never seem to bring too much weight when they play the Oilers. I don't see them as a club that plays a heavy style consistently at all. I think the Sens are as identity confused as the Oilers are.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  11. #2911
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^Thanks, the Sens are not a team I have a good pulse on. I tend to disregard them. They seem incomplete and defensively suspect to me. Agree totally on the Hoffman thing. Who cares if the stick rode up slightly. The action was still crosschecking somebody from behind and from an act of obvious intent formed retribution. Its plays like that where a player targets and hunts down another that the NHL needs to get a grip on.

    Part of the problem is the NHL reviews of this are tied by its rules in terms of prior infractions and suspension history impacting what the current suspension is. I can't see that as a blanket application. Some actions have to be viewed as serious enough to supercede that. I don't agree either that without noted priors that the play, or player is not dirty. That's an incredibly dirty play there and I don't think a history should be required of these actions in order to bring down a longer suspension.

    That aside its odd with the Sens that they never seem to bring too much weight when they play the Oilers. I don't see them as a club that plays a heavy style consistently at all. I think the Sens are as identity confused as the Oilers are.
    Don't know if you heard Mike Milbury and Keith Jones go off on this on MSNBC panel after Hoffman played a couple games later.

    Both said it was far too lenient. Milbury called it assault, and said there should have been a bench clearing brawl. Jones said Hoffman should have got his teeth knocked out. Jones said he'd talked to a lot of players and none of them agreed with the suspension.

    The Sens don't play heavy at all, but they hit high an awful lot. Borowieki has a long history of head shots, like this one on Jared Boll. Or this one on Brian Boyle. And he was serving a two game suspension for this boarding on Toffoli, an all too common play for him. Then there's the Matt Carkner jumping Boyle a couple years ago.

    He has this lily white reputation, but Karlsson almost always hits high.

    When I say dirty team, I don't mean heavy hockey. LA play hard. Same with San Jose and Anaheim, though Perry crosses the line a lot.

    The Sens seem to regularly cheap shot the other teams top players, and there's no question in my mind that they try to take players out of the game. Hope Hoffman is ready to answer the bell next year when these teams meet again. Then again, knowing the Sens, he'll just use his stick from behind again. Sens cheap shot hockey.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  12. #2912
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^Thanks, the Sens are not a team I have a good pulse on. I tend to disregard them. They seem incomplete and defensively suspect to me. Agree totally on the Hoffman thing. Who cares if the stick rode up slightly. The action was still crosschecking somebody from behind and from an act of obvious intent formed retribution. Its plays like that where a player targets and hunts down another that the NHL needs to get a grip on.

    Part of the problem is the NHL reviews of this are tied by its rules in terms of prior infractions and suspension history impacting what the current suspension is. I can't see that as a blanket application. Some actions have to be viewed as serious enough to supercede that. I don't agree either that without noted priors that the play, or player is not dirty. That's an incredibly dirty play there and I don't think a history should be required of these actions in order to bring down a longer suspension.

    That aside its odd with the Sens that they never seem to bring too much weight when they play the Oilers. I don't see them as a club that plays a heavy style consistently at all. I think the Sens are as identity confused as the Oilers are.
    Don't know if you heard Mike Milbury and Keith Jones go off on this on MSNBC panel after Hoffman played a couple games later.

    Both said it was far too lenient. Milbury called it assault, and said there should have been a bench clearing brawl. Jones said Hoffman should have got his teeth knocked out. Jones said he'd talked to a lot of players and none of them agreed with the suspension.

    The Sens don't play heavy at all, but they hit high an awful lot. Borowieki has a long history of head shots, like this one on Jared Boll. Or this one on Brian Boyle. And he was serving a two game suspension for this boarding on Toffoli, an all too common play for him. Then there's the Matt Carkner jumping Boyle a couple years ago.

    He has this lily white reputation, but Karlsson almost always hits high.

    When I say dirty team, I don't mean heavy hockey. LA play hard. Same with San Jose and Anaheim, though Perry crosses the line a lot.

    The Sens seem to regularly cheap shot the other teams top players, and there's no question in my mind that they try to take players out of the game. Hope Hoffman is ready to answer the bell next year when these teams meet again. Then again, knowing the Sens, he'll just use his stick from behind again. Sens cheap shot hockey.

    Excellent post, agree with everything here. Particularly the distinction of teams that play heavy vs those that play dirty. I add the Flyers to the latter list. I have no time or patience for clubs that chronically cheap shot. But on the positive playing heavy side I'll add the Minnesota Wild and like I said earlier in thread I don't think this is much of an aberration. The Wild are right on top of their game right now, great puck support, transition, everybody buying in and the seeing them advance the puck consistently and smartly is a thing of beauty. The game last night against the Habs was a superb contest. Two good teams facing off in one of their rare tilts against each other. With the Wild gutting out the win on the road.

    As far as Karlsson one of my critiques of Duncan Keith has been similar. Guy hits high so consistently and gets the lumber into opponents faces. Its as if the NHL says that if you are a star defender you are allowed to do that. Duncan Keith is a great D, but he's one of the dirtiest sneakiest players in hockey and gets away with as much as anybody in the league.

    btw I agree with Milbury that this was physical assault. The NHL historically is so numb to this. After the Bertuzzi incident you would think they would really keep a close guy on players hunting opponents for a crosscheck from behind. You can see in the replays exactly what Hoffman was doing there. So blatantly obvious. NHL does not seem to comprehend that these are acts of retribution on ice where the player being hunted is defenseless from the player targeting from behind. The NHL allows this predator prey hunting to go on at its own peril and significant, if not catastrophic injury will occur. The NHL will have a near death on its hands and then look at some of this again. It seems every half dozen years this league needs a major scare before they treat such episodes seriously again.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  13. #2913
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    8,657

    Default

    Saying that one hockey incident in particular is "physical assault" is asinine, in my opinion. Because there are, by the legal definition, a couple dozen assaults every hockey game. I'm not disagreeing that the play wasn't dirty and/or deserving of a suspension. It was dirty and he should have been suspended. But saying that something is assault in the context of a sport where regular physical violence is condoned and codified within the rules is meaningless and idiotic. Which makes sense, given that it came out of Milbury's mouth.

  14. #2914
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Saying that one hockey incident in particular is "physical assault" is asinine, in my opinion. Because there are, by the legal definition, a couple dozen assaults every hockey game. I'm not disagreeing that the play wasn't dirty and/or deserving of a suspension. It was dirty and he should have been suspended. But saying that something is assault in the context of a sport where regular physical violence is condoned and codified within the rules is meaningless and idiotic. Which makes sense, given that it came out of Milbury's mouth.
    Episodic physical action is part of hockey. Hitting is part of hockey, Consensual fighting is even a segment of hockey.(and its invariably almost always consensual).

    Hunting down somebody from behind and attacking them with a physical weapon (stick) is arguably an act of assault. Because it is an act of violence and is not at all a part of hockey in play.

    Theres a lot one consents to when playing the game of hockey. It shouldn't include somebody clubbing you from behind with a hockey stick.

    Its not hard to draw such a distinction.

    Surely as well you agree that physical assaults have occurred during the game of hockey but that are not part of the sport of hockey.

    I'll refresh your memory. Attacks in hockey have been subject to Criminal Charges including Assault. So I'm not sure what you are really saying as your opinion is off.

    http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/09/so...minal-charges/
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  15. #2915
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    The amazing Blue Jackets win yet again against Montreal (They beat them 10-0 earlier in season) and led by Sam Gagner who scored his 14th goal of the season. Gagner now has 26pts, 10 more than RNH and has played 230 less minutes. Somebody wanted to bet that Nuge would end up with more pts than Gagner this season. Nuge is at 16pts currently but with a meager 6 goals.

    Gagner seems a shoe in to challenge his season pts record this season. Barring injury that will almost certainly occur. My own take is Gagner ends with 50something pts. Really he only needs 24 pts in remaining 50 games to get there. Gagner was even HS one game this season.

    Gagner currently 11th in NHL scoring despite having played around 5 games less than most other players. What a season for Sam.

    Minnesota Wild, possibly the other best team in hockey blows out the Rangers tonight at MSG 7-4. Yet another statement game and the Wild just played Montreal last night. Train just keeps rolling. Clb and Minn are knocking it out of the ballpark.
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-12-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  16. #2916
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The amazing Blue Jackets win yet again against Montreal (They beat them 10-0 earlier in season) and led by Sam Gagner who scored his 14th goal of the season. Gagner now has 26pts, 10 more than RNH and has played 230 less minutes. Somebody wanted to bet that Nuge would end up with more pts than Gagner this season. Nuge is at 16pts currently but with a meager 6 goals.

    Gagner seems a shoe in to challenge his season pts record this season. Barring injury that will almost certainly occur. My own take is Gagner ends with 50something pts. Really he only needs 24 pts in remaining 50 games to get there. Gagner was even HS one game this season.

    Gagner currently 11th in NHL scoring despite having played around 5 games less than most other players. What a season for Sam.

    Minnesota Wild, possibly the other best team in hockey blows out the Rangers tonight at MSG 7-4. Yet another statement game and the Wild just played Montreal last night. Train just keeps rolling. Clb and Minn are knocking it out of the ballpark.
    Columbus are beating Minnesota Wild 4-1 after 2. Like a machine right now. Everybody expected them to contend last year, and then gave up on them this year. No superstars but a lot of really good players, and a really good goalie too.

    Wild also have a really good team, playing well, with a great goalie, but Columbus is unreal right now.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 31-12-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  17. #2917
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    6,507

    Default

    But where will CBJ finish come playoff time?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  18. #2918
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The amazing Blue Jackets win yet again against Montreal (They beat them 10-0 earlier in season) and led by Sam Gagner who scored his 14th goal of the season. Gagner now has 26pts, 10 more than RNH and has played 230 less minutes. Somebody wanted to bet that Nuge would end up with more pts than Gagner this season. Nuge is at 16pts currently but with a meager 6 goals.

    Gagner seems a shoe in to challenge his season pts record this season. Barring injury that will almost certainly occur. My own take is Gagner ends with 50something pts. Really he only needs 24 pts in remaining 50 games to get there. Gagner was even HS one game this season.

    Gagner currently 11th in NHL scoring despite having played around 5 games less than most other players. What a season for Sam.

    Minnesota Wild, possibly the other best team in hockey blows out the Rangers tonight at MSG 7-4. Yet another statement game and the Wild just played Montreal last night. Train just keeps rolling. Clb and Minn are knocking it out of the ballpark.
    Columbus are beating Minnesota Wild 4-1 after 2. Like a machine right now. Everybody expected them to contend last year, and then gave up on them this year. No superstars but a lot of really good players, and a really good goalie too.

    Wild also have a really good team, playing well, with a great goalie, but Columbus is unreal right now.
    Columbus have improved scoring depth immensely with Saad, Gagner, Hartnel. Foligno having just a banner season and completely dominant out on the ice. Not sure what was wrong with him last season but he's returned to prominence. The Jackets just have a dozen forwards that will grind you into the ice with immense cover pressure and a D corps that will handle the rest. That team is just working and believing together and different guys putting it over the top each game. They are this good even with guys like Boone Jenner not making much of a contribution this season.

    Really feel good for Sam Gagner to be part of a special team for once in his NHL career. With him playing on a good squad one can see how it just adds to his game.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  19. #2919
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Its January in Winnipeg, Jets are missing the playoffs again, and then this happens...Patrik Laine just entirely laid out with a solid and legal hit at Center ice while chasing a puck and not looking for the truck that hit him. Was knocked out. Terrible to see but it is welcome to the NHL of sorts. Have initial success and you start to get targeted. Jets of course went berserk after the hit even though it was a completely legit hit and no penalty.

    Would be hard to imagine a concussion not sustained on this hit. Unfortunate for something like this to happen so quickly in a players career or anytime I guess.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  20. #2920
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Confirmed that Patrik Laine is out with a concussion and no timetable for his return. Jets are done like dinner now. although laine had cooled off of late anyway. jets topline now consisting of Drew Stafford, Scheiffele, Ehlers. Tough times in Winnipeg.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  21. #2921
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The amazing Blue Jackets win yet again against Montreal (They beat them 10-0 earlier in season) and led by Sam Gagner who scored his 14th goal of the season. Gagner now has 26pts, 10 more than RNH and has played 230 less minutes. Somebody wanted to bet that Nuge would end up with more pts than Gagner this season. Nuge is at 16pts currently but with a meager 6 goals.

    Gagner seems a shoe in to challenge his season pts record this season. Barring injury that will almost certainly occur. My own take is Gagner ends with 50something pts. Really he only needs 24 pts in remaining 50 games to get there. Gagner was even HS one game this season.

    Gagner currently 11th in NHL scoring despite having played around 5 games less than most other players. What a season for Sam.

    Minnesota Wild, possibly the other best team in hockey blows out the Rangers tonight at MSG 7-4. Yet another statement game and the Wild just played Montreal last night. Train just keeps rolling. Clb and Minn are knocking it out of the ballpark.
    Columbus are beating Minnesota Wild 4-1 after 2. Like a machine right now. Everybody expected them to contend last year, and then gave up on them this year. No superstars but a lot of really good players, and a really good goalie too.

    Wild also have a really good team, playing well, with a great goalie, but Columbus is unreal right now.
    Columbus have improved scoring depth immensely with Saad, Gagner, Hartnel. Foligno having just a banner season and completely dominant out on the ice. Not sure what was wrong with him last season but he's returned to prominence. The Jackets just have a dozen forwards that will grind you into the ice with immense cover pressure and a D corps that will handle the rest. That team is just working and believing together and different guys putting it over the top each game. They are this good even with guys like Boone Jenner not making much of a contribution this season.

    Really feel good for Sam Gagner to be part of a special team for once in his NHL career. With him playing on a good squad one can see how it just adds to his game.
    Cam Atkinson has been unreal for them. Don't know how he isn't an all-star.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  22. #2922
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Tampa Bay losing to Arizona 5-1. LMAO. Looks like the highly touted Lightning are dead and done. Tonight against the worst club in the league would have to be considered a must win for a team way back in the standings. Would laugh is Cooper gets fired.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  23. #2923
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Gagner with a fantastic assist to Hartnell for the winning goal tonight for Columbus. As a nice a goal as you see. Nice to see Sam getting the opportunity and working hard. 32pts for somebody thought to be washed up.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  24. #2924
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Kings outshoot Yotes 44-22 last night and lose 5-3. SOG 21-8 for the Kings in 3rd period and the Yotes score 3 goals. lmao. The Yotes, who can't normally score goals to save their lives bagging 5 goals on 18shots against one of the stingiest teams in the league but that has Budaj in net. Is Quick ever coming back?

    I don't know how the Kings can even go out there every night realizing they have to be twice as good as the opposition to even have a chance.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  25. #2925
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    The bad news for Alberta fans is that Quick is back between the pipes in LA.

    The good news is that this should impact Calgary more than Edmonton.

    The so-so news is the Oilers still have 3 remaining games against the Kings and barring injury they will see Quick in all of them.


    Kings were almost done, I've noted some players packing it in there. I wonder if the org noted that as well. While this addition comes at a time Kings desperately needed this, they could have used Quick over a week ago as they've dropped some games that they should be able to win.

    Anyway **** got real in the Division. With Quick in net I expect the Kings will find that to rally around and now can finally take some scoring chances to try to build up their GF. As it has been the whole club is petrified to get out of position as their own red light is flashing when they do. Ducks will be a solid test today.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  26. #2926
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    And the Kings beat the Ducks 4-1.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  27. #2927
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    ^Was a great game. Total war. Ducks were up 1-0 and kings gradually took over the game as the Ducks could never get a second puck by Quick who was pretty good. Kings scored 4 in 3rd period to take the W. Fantastic play by Carter on the winning goal.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  28. #2928
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,081

    Default

    To LA: Ben Bishop and 5th-rd pick in 2017
    To Tampa: Budaj, Erik Cernak, a 7th-rd pick in 2017 and a conditional 2017 pick. Tampa Bay retains 20 percent of Bishop salary/cap hit
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  29. #2929
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,081

    Default

    Another trade, details from Bobby Mac:
    https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

    ARI sends Martin Hanzal, Ryan White and 2017 4th rder to MIN.
    MIN sends 2017 1st rder, 2018 2nd rder, 2019 conditional 4th rder (conditions to follow) and minor leaguer Grayson Downing to ARI.
    Conditional pick: If MIN wins one playoff round this year, it becomes 3rd round pick; if MIN wins two rounds, it becomes 2nd round pick.
    Also, ARI retains 50 per cent of Hanzal's salary.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  30. #2930
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Seems so odd For the Kings to suffer all season with Budaj (he's been worse than stats suggest) and then obtain help the moment Quick is back and looking great btw. Realize its a trade deadline deal and Kings gave up next to nothing but kind of an odd deal. Maybe the prognosis on Quick is they can't play him all games. Typically he could go a good 20 games in a row.

    In anycase a different Kings team which now has the confidence of solid goaltending. Being that all season long the Kings couldn't give up any odd man breaks without the puck being in their own net they've been tentative offensively. With Quick in net it allows them the opportunity to take chances and pressure more offensively. Budaj is very suspect moving across the net and mostly hopeless on on oddman rushes.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  31. #2931
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Minny just getting richer with the Hanzal acquisition. Strong player, can score, cycles puck well and can work really well in topsix configurations and is a beast and hard to play against. A better asset than Doan at present. Minny walks away the Yotes best player for some picks. Minny also gets Ryan White who can bruise people on the boards.

    Minny going hard here for a cup and have a legit lineup to go deep. Best team ever based in Minnesota right now.

    This deal kind of confirms that players like RNH and Eberle are worth not a lot of return. Nuge for Hanzal would have sent message the Oilers intend to compete in playoffs.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  32. #2932
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    8,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Maybe the prognosis on Quick is they can't play him all games.


    Groins are often re-injured. Bishop is an insurance policy for that.

  33. #2933
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Maybe the prognosis on Quick is they can't play him all games.


    Groins are often re-injured. Bishop is an insurance policy for that.
    Yep, that's what I wondered later. Groin pulls are pretty bad that way. That said Quick was out for so long they wanted to appreciably lessen the chance of that recurring and he exhibited really good mobility and no overt signs of discomfort. This would perhaps remain a potential issue for the rest of Quicks career though given his occupation and how much groin stretching is involved.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  34. #2934

    Default

    Sadly, Bishop has a history of being injured (or seemingly injured in what appears to be minor contact) in crease activity. Bit of a china doll in there. Good luck LA, you're going to need it.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

  35. #2935
    C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    29,081

    Default

    Trade deadline is 2 days away and quite a bit of activity today.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  36. #2936
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    6,507

    Default

    I hope we get Iginla, I know his brother in law really well.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •