Page 1 of 30 12345 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the NHL

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Around the NHL

Discuss hockey news, views, and rumours here not pertaining to the Edmonton Oilers.

Palin to drop puck

The Associated Press
    October 8, 2008

PHILADELPHIA — Sarah Palin's next faceoff will come at centre ice at an NHL arena, not at a debate.

The GOP vice-presidential nominee will drop the ceremonial first puck when the Philadelphia Flyers open the regular season against the New York Rangers on Saturday. Palin, the Alaska governor and self-described “hockey mom”, will join the winner of a team promotion for the “Ultimate Hockey Mom” to drop the puck.

Last month, Palin visited a Philadelphia bar with Flyers owner Ed Snider, who has donated money to Republican presidential nominee John McCain's campaign.

“Because of the tremendous amount of publicity she has brought to our sport, we invited the most popular hockey mom in North America to our home opener to help us get our season started,” Snider said in a team statement Wednesday. “We are very excited she has accepted our offer and we are very proud of the publicity she is generating for hockey moms and the sport of hockey.”

The team will award all hockey moms entered into the contest with a free “puck-er peach” lipstick and four tickets to a hockey game of the Flyers' minor league affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. The winner will appear on the ice with Palin for opening faceoff.

great idea....

Is it time for lidstrom to pass on the Norris?!
    Some interesting predictions from SI writers...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1
    i love lamp

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Many lols at Bobby Ryan for Calder. Didn't he just get farmed out?

Vancouver 6
    Calgary 0 (Final)

Ah, yes, our beloved Calgary Flames are over-rated again this season. Conroy, Bertuzzi, and Primeau are 4th line material.

A few more games like this and Mike Keenan will implode.

Don't get me wrong but I think I detest Vancouver MORE than Calgary. Just slightly behind Toronto.
    My belief is anything that had Brian Burke's greasy fingerprints on it is forever tainted. And do Vancouverites really know which Sedin is which?
    BTW, Calgary does suck.

C2E Continued Contributor

I can never look at Bertuzzi in a respectful manner again after the sucker punch incident. But I agree with quiksilver. I despise Vancouver for some unknown reason more than Calgary. Lets hope the Oilers mop the floor with both these teams this year.

I also don't like Vancouver - but, I do like supporting the underdog a little, which lends me a little more their way against Calgary this year. Also, it would be nice to see Keenan lose it (I don't like hockey fossils). In saying that, all teams have their nights like Calgary just did, wouldn't read too much into it.

Well, with all this anti-Canuck sentiment I guess I will pitch in and say that as a BC boy, I am a diehard Vancouver fan for life. They have a great team this year with lots of speed and some added muscle. I think they will do well.

That said, I am as surprised as everyone else at the results of the 6-2 win in exibition, and 6-0 result on Thursday. I certainly thought Calgary would put up more of a fight.

Haven't had a chance to catch an Oilers preseason game so I can't comment on that much other than to say Cole and Vishnovsky (sp?) were some good pickups.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

With the exception of Iginla, Glencross, and Camarelli, Calgary looked SLOW. They lost every single race to the puck, and the Canucks guys skated circles around the slowpokes like Sarich on their defense. Kipper just looked average.

I suppose time will show whether the Flamers just had an off-night, or if they are gonna get burned by speedsters this year.

Despite their horrid 10 shot effort against Washington...Vancouver has looked very gritty and determined so far this year. Good start for them.

Rangers and Sabres look very solid too.

Capitals with a great comeback last night vs. Sid the Kid et al.

Sharks and Wild still unbeaten.

ANd who'da thought that the Flyers, Lightning and Ducks would all still be winless??

AW

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Oilers, Sharks and Wild still unbeaten.
    slight correction for accuracy. ( I realize we've only played two games, and I hope this statement is still true after this weekend is all said and done!)

Savard already fired in Chicago.

Who is the next to get the axe? Randy Carlyle (Anaheim) or John Stevens (Philadelphia)?

I stand corrected Medwards!

As for those coaches, I'd say those guys are pretty safe...who knows how the new owners in TB will react to their poor start. If they've proven anything it's that they don't wait around for things to happen. Even though Melrose was just hired, i can see the owners pulling the plug before the end of the year if things continue to be messy there.

.Vancouver has looked very gritty and determined so far this year. Good start for them.
    It has been, though, they perhaps got outplayed by Detroit despite the OT win.

Speaking of Detroit, they put up a graphic during the game showing that Detroit has accumulated 100+ points per season for the last 8 seasons. That kind of consistant success is amazing. I guess it is a testament to two great coaches (Bowman and Babcock) and the Detroit head office team.

Kudos to them...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think it's a little early, but I think that Columbus and St. Louis could be doing better this year. It will be the games against the weaker teams that the Oilers will have to worry about this year.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

What about Montreal? Any comment on them. I've read many columnists that put them as favourites for the cup, but I'm not sure that I agree on that assessment just yet. They do seem to be playing well, but it's early in the season right?

Does anybody really care where Mats Sundin plays? No, really. Anybody?

Does anybody really care where Mats Sundin plays? No, really. Anybody?
    He plays at Poker Stars now apparantly...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Martin Brodeur is injured, out for 3 - 4 months. According to this, they might trade for either Roloson or the Bulin Wall:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-f491c6126b15
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm trying to think of what the Oilers could get for Roli.

I can't see New Jersey giving up too much for a Brodeur replacement they'll only need for half a season.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think the Oilers will be content with getting a draft pick, unless Rollie is part of a bigger package..
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think the Oilers will be content with getting a draft pick, unless Rollie is part of a bigger package..
    At the trade deadline - yes. But not right now. I don't think we can make the playoffs with Garon playing as he has, I fear he could collapse completely if left as a bona fide number 1 on his own (there are reasons we picked him up so cheap originally). While he hasn't played horribly, he hasn't stolen any games either, which Roli is capable of right now. JDD deserves more time though.

Roli, Cogliano, Grebeshkov and a 3rd round pick for Parise and a second round pick.

^that would be a terrible trade, IMO. Cogliano and Grebeshkov are already fairly good players. I wouldn't trade just the two of them for Parise, who is pretty much untouchable anyway.

Bulin is untradeable because of his salary. They'd have to clear off a whack of salary I'd imagine. Even Roloson's cap hit, which is half of Bulin's, is a deterrent. I'd be happy if we got a couple 2nd or 3rd round picks for Roli, straight up.

If your 'fairly good' means 'clones, replaceable from within the system', you're right. But pound for pound I think Parise brings more to the table than Cogliano, but Jersey knows that too. And you know what they say about opinions.....

This is why Kevin Lowe and Tambelleni are the GMs. And why fans are the armchair experts.

If they offered Roli, Cogs, and Grebs for Parise, Lou Lamarillo would laugh at their faces. For the Oilers to get Parise they would have to give up at least Roli, Gagner, and Smid.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    This is why Kevin Lowe and Tambelleni are the GMs. And why fans are the armchair experts.

If they offered Roli, Cogs, and Grebs for Parise, Lou Lamarillo would laugh at their faces. For the Oilers to get Parise they would have to give up at least Roli, Gagner, and Smid.
    Agree on the armchair GMs. I don't lose my job when I make a bad trade.
    The Oil should have tried to pursue Lecavalier before he signed long term.

That Brodeur injury is going to hurt my draft big time. Devils are in a bind right now and need some short term goal stopping. Roli wouldn't be bad because he only has 1 year left on his contract.
    I don't think I want Roli or Garon gone. I think it would be a bad move to trade Roli and hope Garon is a bonafide #1 with shaky Jeff Deslauriers as a back up. That is all I am going to say before I hijack this thread into an Oilers thread.

Bye bye Burke!!!

Good riddance. But probably not for long. Look for him to surface in T.O. His ego could easily support two NHL teams there.

Why does everybody hate Burke?

Perhaps his dealings with the Oilers? And the fact that hes a bit of a hot head, and seems to have a hating for all things Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Perhaps his dealings with the Oilers? And the fact that hes a bit of a hot head, and seems to have a hating for all things Edmonton?
    Are you referring to the Pronger deal? It was my understanding that Pronger's wife was the catalyst on that deal...

I am rather indifferent to him (Burke) myself, but folks on this board and elsewhere seem to have a real hate-on for him. I am curious why this is so.

Because of the whole Penner fiasco, and let's not forget the Bertuzzi/Moore incident as well. Burke created an environment on the Canucks that led to that incident, and was pretty much unrepentant about it. As far as he's concerned, Steve Moore got what he deserved.

He's just an all around really really abrasive kind of guy. He's outspoken and arrogant to an extent that few other GM's in the NHL can match.

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Are you referring to the Pronger deal? It was my understanding that Pronger's wife was the catalyst on that deal...

I am rather indifferent to him (Burke) myself, but folks on this board and elsewhere seem to have a real hate-on for him. I am curious why this is so.
    How about everything AFTER the pronger trade? You must not follow NHL or the Oilers that closely...

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...of-penner.aspx
    Last edited by Medwards; 12-11-2008 at 07:56 PM.

^ Well, I suppose I am more interested in what happens on the ice than off

Thanks for the link.

It's funny Gary Bettman put the gag order on the feud only after Kevin Lowe finally opened his mouth to respond to Burke's insults.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Burke will end up as GM of the Maple Laffs. He can't make them any worse...or can he?

For all his bluster, Burke is one of the better GMs in the NHL these days. Anything's an improvement over what Toronto has been doing the past decade or two.

grish

i think what Toronto needs is a whole sale change in fans attitude--they believe their team is always going to win it all no matter who the players are. They really need to get a grip on reality and start supporting the team they have, not the team they imagine they have.

Burke is good at convincing others he is some kind of genius. That's it.

Burke is a win-now GM. He inherited a very good Anaheim team and basically added (ie. fell on his lap) Scott Neidermayer and Pronger to win the Cup. But as Kevin Lowe said, when Burke leaves a team the cupboard is bare.
    i think what Toronto needs is a whole sale change in fans attitude--they believe their team is always going to win it all no matter who the players are. They really need to get a grip on reality and start supporting the team they have, not the team they imagine they have.
    Ron Wilson has brought fun and entertainment to the Leafs. He is sticking with the young players, which is a whole different mindset in Toronto. But if Burke becomes the new Leafs GM he will go back to the old way of relying on veterans.

grish

Has Kipper lost his touch for the flames?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

One thing about the All-Star selections, I'm sure that Montreal fans could select Ryan O'Byrne for the West Team, for scoring a goal in his own net, giving Montreal seven starters.

Avery Suspended Indefinitely

ERIC DUHATSCHEK
    Globe and Mail Update

December 2, 2008 at 6:37 PM EST

CALGARY — The National Hockey League suspended Dallas Stars' forward Sean Avery indefinitely Tuesday, pending a hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman, for "conduct detrimental to the league or game of hockey."

The suspension came as a result of a comment Avery directed towards the relationship between Calgary Flames' defenceman Dion Phaneuf and actress Elisha Cuthbert, a former girlfriend of Avery's. Avery made the comment, unsolicited, covering the morning skate prior to a Flames-Stars game.

The incident occurred as Avery emerged from the shower area at the back of the visitors' dressing room. Avery began by asking if a TSN camera were present.

When he saw that it was, he stepped in front of the microphones, didn't wait for a question to be asked and delivered the following extraordinary statement:

"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," said Avery. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

And with that, Avery walked away.

It didn't take much to connect the dots, however. Avery's reference was to the fact that the Flames' Phaneuf was now dating Cuthbert, who was also once romantically linked to the Montreal Canadiens' Mike Komisarek. Previously, Avery was also involved with actress Rachel Hunter, now the girlfriend of former Edmonton Oilers' centre Jarrett Stoll, who now plays for the Los Angeles Kings.

Avery delivered his extraordinarily uncouth manifesto after the Flames had dispersed from their morning skate, so Phaneuf was not available for comment, but it is unlikely he would have said anything anyway, given how he's made his private life off limits to reporters.

Officially, the league suspended him for "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game." The date for the hearing has as yet not been scheduled.

Avery made his offensive remark after the Flames had dispersed from their morning skate, so Phaneuf was not available for comment, but it is unlikely he would have said anything anyway, given how he's made his private life off limits to reporters.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

i hope someone really cleans that guys clocks one day.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    i hope someone really cleans that guys clocks one day.
    He'll be finished in a couple of years. There's no way that you can burn bridges like that and survive.

Prime candidate to play in the Kontinental Hockey League next season.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I'm terribly sorry for being such a swine but I LOLed at the "sloppy seconds" comment!

he's a pig. Why is he referring to the coalition government?
    Last edited by bpeters; 03-12-2008 at 09:45 AM.

It's the NHL's fault. You take out the ability of players to police themselves (via the instagator rule) and players are no longer held acountable for their actions. 20 years ago this guy would have been run through the boards or beat to a pulp far before the racial slurs, gimmicks, or sloppy seconds.

hilarious though.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    (via the instagator rule)
    is that like when a player who does something bad instantly turns into an alligator?

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    (via the instagator rule)
    is that like when a player who does something bad instantly turns into an alligator?
    instigator

I think Avery needs to apologize or he's done. Not that I think he will. Most people don't even make those kinds of comments in mixed company, or among strangers. He calls over TV cameras and says it on National TV, as if he's prepared it. He's a creep.

Before anyone finds it funny, remind yourself he's talking about someone here, and it's going to hurt. That's not how to treat a woman, and I hope nobody who posts here ever does.

I don't find it funny at all to refer to a woman that way, any woman, especially a former girlfriend. I find it to be juvenile and petty and hurtful - the type of boastful comment made by a high school jerk after his first beers. Maybe I'm from a different generation, or maybe just older, but it's disgusting to refer to an ex that way. No wonder she dumped him. Let's see who goes out with him now.

Nobody wants him on their team. Nobody wants him in their dressing room, or on the bench. No class. No guts. No brains. Questionable talent. Guys like Modano don't deserve to have to live with his reputation. They have always conducted themselves in a responsible manner. Guys like Turco, though he's having a bad season, are great community citizens, and is always helping out with causes. The Dallas team are clearly embarrassed.

I just wonder if he takes down Hull with him. Bad signing.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-12-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^yep to all that. What he hasn't thought of, is anyone (oh yeah, I'm sure there are other 'girls' that will find dating an NHLer cool) considering dating this clown may think again knowing this is how he refers to them and thinks of them.

I will gladly take his sloppy seconds. The pink panties from Old School are seared into my brain for life.

But seriously though, he's going to be pretty radioactive after this. I don't know what Dallas' options are, but I'd imagine they're considering buying him out or farming him out, but either way costs them big bucks. But the fact of the matter is, they're off to a horrid start and I think that the Avery circus is at least a small part of it.

Check out the Dallas Morning News on-line. Sports section. there's plenty of quotes from players, coaches, etc. Hull, who signed him, went off about how he talked to Avery about these exact types of things. This is the hometown paper. And yeah, he's still a cap hit if they cut him, I think. Solution? Trade (by trade, I mean Give) Avery to Toronto. Burke needs him. No, deserves him.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    I'd imagine they're considering buying him out
    Just for clarification -- this is not an option under the current CBA. They will be able to buy him out until mid-June 2009.

From nhlscap.com:
    BUY-OUT PERIOD - the time frame during which teams may negotiate a buy-out of a SPC. Except for the period specifically designated, no team may execute a buy-out of any player. This period runs from June 15 or 48 hours after the end of the Finals [whichever is later] to June 30 at 5:00pm Eastern.

I'd be shocked if he ever plays for Dallas again despite the fact they have him signed another 3.5 seasons with a cap hit of $3.875M. Hull sure looks like a complete ***** for signing him that long for the price tag.

Are any teams going to bite on a trade? Maybe a team will be willing to take him at half-price on recall waivers? I'm intrigued how Dallas will play this out.

Ah thanks, I wasn't sure about that. They could farm him out to the minors and he wouldn't be a cap hit, is my understanding. But they'd have to pay him full salary.

Brian Burke will take him.....in exchange for a 3rd Round pick and a scoop of sloppy seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Brian Burke will take him.....in exchange for a 3rd Round pick and a scoop of sloppy seconds.
    Avery to Toronto...Les Jackson or Brett Hull get some Jennifer Burke action???

the Rod Black- Brett Hull Interview on TSN is pretty good.

Brett Hull cracking up when Rod asks about if there are any mental issues is worth the trip over to TSN by itself.

I wonder if the Stars have an out regarding his contract. Players are expected to act in a somewhat responsible manner. This isn't about his performance on the ice. His actions have brought his team, the owner, and the city into disrepute. I know that the league has a way of suspending him permanently that would give the Stars an out (or so I heard on TSN).

Maybe they suspend him permanently and let the courts decide.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I wonder if the Stars have an out regarding his contract. Players are expected to act in a somewhat responsible manner. This isn't about his performance on the ice. His actions have brought his team, the owner, and the city into disrepute. I know that the league has a way of suspending him permanently that would give the Stars an out (or so I heard on TSN).

Maybe they suspend him permanently and let the courts decide.

There is an out built into contracts that state that the contract can end when a player does something "detrimental to the game" or something like that. The NHLPA would probably put up a big challenge. Just read Bob Mckenzie's latest column as it deals with the exact question you ask.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think Avery will get quite a punishment for this incident. I say at least 20 games. I don't think Avery has any mental illness. Instead, it's a behavioural disorder.

I also think his next stop will be outside North America.

He will get 5 games or something, no way he'll get more than 10. Yeah what he said was unacceptable, but he didn't break someone's face with a cross check or ram someone's face through the boards.

The LEAGUE will give him five games....what the Stars do is where it gets really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    He will get 5 games or something, no way he'll get more than 10. Yeah what he said was unacceptable, but he didn't break someone's face with a cross check or ram someone's face through the boards.
    exactly...
    I don't like Avery, he's an ***** and what he said was wrong , but cmon, it was just a comment
    this incident shows the nature of our human stupidity. doesn't apply to all of course, but how stupid can people be?
    you are allowed in the NHL to knock a guys teeth, punch him in the nose and make him bleed, and hit him to the point of near unconsciousness but.... you can't say vulgarities... how frickin stupid is that. Betman has to be mentally ********, there is no other way to explain this absurd suspension.

The difference is you are penalized as per the rules when knocking a guys teeth, punching him in the nose, and make him bleed. As for hitting from behind, kneeing, and other things that do not belong anywhere on the ice they should have harsher suspensions and fines.

Saying vulgar and demeaning things about a non-participant in the league, is not the image the NHL wants. It is disrespectful, and shows of a neanderthal mentality. Maybe it does not warrant a lengthy dirty play suspension and fine, but a suspension and fine none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    The difference is you are penalized as per the rules when knocking a guys teeth, punching him in the nose, and make him bleed. As for hitting from behind, kneeing, and other things that do not belong anywhere on the ice they should have harsher suspensions and fines.

Saying vulgar and demeaning things about a non-participant in the league, is not the image the NHL wants. It is disrespectful, and shows of a neanderthal mentality. Maybe it does not warrant a lengthy dirty play suspension and fine, but a suspension and fine none the less.
    i just think its idiotic. so if in the locker room you say the "f" word to whoever, you also get suspended? what if someone say F-ing.... "jean chretien" , he also gets suspended? it sure is not the image of the nhl to demean a former PM. its just a fricking comment. it wasnt racist or mysoginist, it was just a jackass comment. people need to lighten up and not take themselves so seriously...

If someone went on camera and said that then yes, they'd probably be suspended.

Look, this isn't ONE incident with Avery, it's a career of them, but this time they have the proof (on camera) and are acting on it. It doesn't sound like anyone on the Stars wants to play with the guy again, and the coach doesn't want him back, so it's extremely unlikely he'll return to the dressing room, except to clear out his stuff.

So long Avery, your NHL career is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    If someone went on camera and said that then yes, they'd probably be suspended.

Look, this isn't ONE incident with Avery, it's a career of them, but this time they have the proof (on camera) and are acting on it. It doesn't sound like anyone on the Stars wants to play with the guy again, and the coach doesn't want him back, so it's extremely unlikely he'll return to the dressing room, except to clear out his stuff.

So long Avery, your NHL career is done.
    as i said, i don't like the guy, and the nhl isn't a bit worse off without him, but for crissakes, people are too sensitive these days, it was just words...

Yes, it's words. He's made racist remarks, he's made fun of people that speak a certain language, and now he's making vulgar comments about his ex-girlfriends. People are sick of it, and there are rules that allow him to be punished for them, which the NHL has acted upon. You can't tell me Avery hasn't studied the rules and knows them inside and out, because I'm almost certain he has. He was told NOT to talk to the press, which he disobeyed, and recited something he probably worked on the entire flight to Calgary.

I'm not sure why you're defending the guy so much. He broke a league rule and now he's being punished for it. End of story.

I expect we'll see him resurface as a pro wrestler or something, but as long as he's out of hockey I support whatever rule he broke.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

This behavior isn't acceptable. It's degrading and insulting. Locker talk is one thing, this was orchestrated and intentional.
    With regard to matters of the fairer sex, if 'lightening up' means sacrificing morals, integrity and good manners, I'm out.
    To sensitive? Hardly. It's respect.
    To act like this clown? Cowardly.
    To accept and endorse it. Even more so.

It's called professionalism.

Imagine a teacher, or police officer, or the waitress who pours your coffee saying vulgar stuff in front of the public? That employee will be reigned in by the management. If it happens again the employee gets fired.

six games.

Probably about right. I hope he starts playing some hockey. And he's got a lot more apologizing to do. Sleazy personal attacks on national TV don't go over very well.

I wonder who wants him on their team right now? NHL teams are often known for taking a firm stand on principle - for about a week or two.

First One is Always Free

Blackhawks rebound after chocking a 4-2 lead at Detroit yesterday with a 7-1 humbling of Phoenix.

Game notes: Gretzky looked like a priest

Hawks have only one regulation loss at home.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looking at the NHL Standings, Toronto, NY Islanders, Atlanta and Tampa Bay (the four bottom Eastern teams) would be in last place in the Western Conference.

First One is Always Free

They used the horn so much on Sunday it broke!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1123369.story

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

The Associated Press

December 10, 2008 at 1:17 PM EST

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic, already sidelined by back problems, broke three fingers in a snow blower accident at his home and will be out at least three months.

The Avalanche announced Sakic had surgery Tuesday night for the broken fingers and tendon damage. Team doctor Andy Parker said the procedure went well and that Sakic is expected to make a full recovery.

Sakic was already being treated for a herniated disc, which was expected to keep him out until mid-January.

It's been an injury-riddled season for the 39-year-old Sakic, who decided to return for a 20th year after almost retiring during the offseason. Sakic had his most trying season last year, missing 38 games after hernia surgery.

The centre originally strained his back in the weight room in early November, causing him to miss a game against Minnesota.

He returned two days later before being sidelined for five more games because of his bad back. He hasn't played since hurting it again in his first shift in a game at Phoenix on Nov. 28.

A) How do you break three fingers using a snow blower?

B) With the money Sakic is making, you'll think he hire someone to shovel his walks.

grish

I think he will soon become the first bubble boy to play for an NHL team. the team will deliver him in a bubble for each game and then package him up after each game for protection from himself.

Well I suppose a snowblower accident could have been a lot worse than broken fingers...

grish

Default Phaneuf 2nd in voting in the west for all star D?

Does he really deserve the spot? there are so many more worthy candidates in my O.

Fan voting for the All Star game is a joke, in my opinion. Let players, coaches, GM's, and journalists decide.

^what he said.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Just as the Canucks fans did the write-in vote for Rory Fitzpatrick a while back, we could do the same for someone like Strudwick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Just as the Canucks fans did the write-in vote for Rory Fitzpatrick a while back, we could do the same for someone like Strudwick.
    No way. Stortini or bust.

First One is Always Free

Good story about the Blackhawks but not found anywhere. I heard about it on the radio but this is the 1st linkage I could provide:

http://deadspin.com/5106937/chicago-...anksgiving-joy

grish

I am still on Phaneuf... he is a -7 in +/- making him the worst +/- D-man on the Shames. I know that doesn't account for the type of ice-time he gets and what the rest of the players do on the ice, but he plays defense. Regehr is a +4.

First One is Always Free

Rendering of what the rink will look like at Wrigley for the Winter Classic

First One is Always Free

I imagine the area around the rink will be cluttered with TV crews and other things...

I get that Wrigley is a special stadium...but surely there was a more intimate venue to host this. I suppose your silly four down football season runs that late and (soldier field??) might not be availible, but isn't their some sort of massive NCAA stadium that could be used?

First One is Always Free

I"m not happy w/ them picking wrigley because a baseball stadium makes no sense at all. Some of the lower level seats will be ... too low and their view will be blocked by TV and news crews as well as the actual rink structure. But some of the seats above the bottom tier will have great views.

Actually there aren't that many big outdoor venues in Chicago.
    Soldier Field: Home of the Bears and the most logical choice. The last home game is December 22 which leaves plenty of time to get the rink ready. I'm not sure why they didn't pick Soldier Field but maybe the Chicago Park District (owner of soldier field) wanted too much money?

Ryan Field. This is where the NorthWestern Wildcats play. Judging by the picture here this would've been a good choice...

US Cellular Field: Where the white sox play and another baseball stadium.

Basically when it comes down to it they picked wrigley just so the demand for tickets would be higher and they could charge outrageous prices. The Cubs are so popular down here and there's such a love for Wrigley Field that people are willing to pay just about anything for a ticket.

never answered e-mail

Good news for the Stars (whom I hate anyway), bad news for whoever is desperate enough to pick him up. I can't speculate who that might be (I don't think that low of Brian Burke, even) but hopefully the sideshow is out of pro-hockey permanently.

re: Phaneuf in the all-star voting: agreed about hockey insiders picking the team, or some kind of way that fans can only vote once each. Also agreed that the Rory Fitzpatrick episode was a lesson sadly lost.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

The Rangers is the top candidate to give Avery a (don't say it) second chance. Avery was more or less civil when he played in New York.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast