Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 3316

Thread: Around the NHL

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Postmedia sports writers have to be about the worst. Completely clueless. 5/9 polled recently picked the Dallas Stars to make the SC final and advance out of the West. Dallas missed the playoffs last year and can't play D to save their lives. Dallas, imo predictably, loses their first 2 games including to the Expansion Las Vegas Golden nights and are already 0-2. Giving up countless scoring chances.

Meanwhile the same wags have Tampa, who also missed the playoffs advancing in the East and winning the cup. Most of them are apparently huge tampa fans. Tampa also missed the playoffs last year.

Yeah I know Stamkos is back. But Drouin, one of the best players for the Lightning last season, is gone.

Meanwhile another media darling, the Winnipeg Jets, who always seem to be pumped by TSN are again pathetic and have been blown out in both of their games this season allowing 13GA in 2GP thus far. The Jets are absolutely hopeless. How anybody could pick this club to make the playoffs I have no idea. They were up 3-1 against the Flames and lost going away, 6-3. Teams should start spotting the Jets a two goal lead.
    Jets won again tonight to remain in first place in the Central Division, 4 points back of league leading Tampa. After a bad start Dallas are really coming on.

The rookie defenceman Tampa traded Drouin for has two more goals and two more assists than Drouin in limited ice time.

Not to be an "I-told-you-so". I'm just normally not the type to point it out when people get it so wrong
    haha. For sure wrong on the Jets. I just don't have a bead on that team. With some teams you get whats clicking and with others you don't get it. I don't watch the Jets enough to appreciate what they do well. I'll cede that. Drouin? Kid had the makings of a star. I honestly think he's been screwed over, happens with enough players still, and its so odd how some players are just immediately granted opportunities to succeed and with others its "work for it, work for it". Seems like coaches and GM's often have double standards. In fairness to Drouin the Montreal situation is a mess. Everybody by now knowing the Subban for Weber trade was a disaster and primarily due to where the players were at in respective careers. With Subban getting better, Weber getting worse. So that Drouin landed in a very bad spot there. The whole club including Price have been in a funk.
    I think I predicted the Oilers a sure bet for the playoffs, to be honest.

Bergevin and owner Geoff Molson have been awful in Montreal. A lot seems to come down to Bergevin's ego. Subban was the most popular player in Montreal since Beliveau. The guy was made for Montreal, and for the modern day NHL. PK was a brand. Everything you could hope for when marketing a team in the modern era. He's good at it - a natural.

He ridiculously lowballed Subban. I firmly believe PK would have walked. Then Molson steps in and gives him more than he was reportedly asking for.

It bugged old school Bergevin that a player was seen as more important to the team than him, and it bugged him that Molson undermined his negotiations. Along with Therrien they never really had Subban's back at any time.

The $10M donation was commonly seen as a move to buy the captaincy, which was to be voted on by players days later. Also speculated it was part of the deal with Molson. That's the way it is in Montreal, where petty horsepoop overshadows a genuinely wonderful $10M for a children's hospital.

Maybe some other players could step up in a similar fashion. Or at least recognize it. But no. Not a single Canadiens player, or coach, showed up to the ceremony announcing the gift.

PK wasn't bad for the team. He was too good for the team.

So - not a hockey move.

I really like Drouin. I didn't like the trade. I just don't think you trade a blue chip prospect left D, especially when your #1 left D is nearing the end of his career. Especially when you also lost your #3 and #4 left D. Bergevin couldn't resist the idea of a French Canadian superstar.

Sergachev gone, like the Subban deal, not a hockey move.

Markov had at least one more good year in him, maybe two. One of the best outlet passers in the game. They'd already lost both Bealieau and Emelin, both left D, and traded away their #1 prospect, a left defence man. But no, Bergevin has to lowball Markov and manages to insult him along the way, a guy who spent his entire career in Montreal. Markov would have come down in $ and gone only one year, but Bergevin's negotiating style left no option but to retire.

So Markov gone in a move more about ego than hockey. the only guy left on left D was late acquisition Jordie Benn. Bergevin picked up 40 year old Mark Streit to replace Markov. Not even close. Only lasted a few games. Alzner gets term. Alzner? More old school stay-at-home D BS from Bergevin. The game isn't working that way these days, and everybody knows it except him.

Then Radulov.

Bergevin offered the same deal he took with Dallas. Radulov said they wanted to see what Dallas was going to come up with. Dallas matched, so Radulov was going to stay with Montreal, except Bergevin took the deal off the table. Show him who was boss. Then he put the deal back on the table but Radulov had agreed with Dallas.

So Radulov lost for nothing. He'd be their top scorer, and he brings a ton to the game. protects the puck as well as anyone. Not a hockey move, for sure.

4 big moves, none making sense from a hockey standpoint. That's why Bergevin is the worst manager in the league, and Molson the worst owner.

Out go Radulov, Sergachev, Markov, and Emelin, all Russians (US born Russian Galchenyuk has been on the outs too). In come Philip Danault, Charles Hudon, Drouin, and Nic Deslauiers (Deslauiers is great by the way, with as many goals as Drouin in 15 fewer games). Sensing a theme?

Molson is in a tough spot. There have been calls to boycott Molson products from the Nationalists who want a French Canadian team. Molson has come out and said that all things being equal he will pick a French Canadian player. The coach and GM aren't picked from among the best available talent, they're picked from the best available French talent.

That's how you lose a Gord Gallant, who, despite the name, isn't French (neither was Beaulieau).

Putting aside that it severely limits the available talent pool, and that all things are never equal, a bias toward French Canadian players can't help but create a two tiered dressing room. Us and them.

I do understand preferring a homegrown talent. But whenever you're making decisions that are not hockey related it's going to cause more problems than it solves.

I can't see that team ever winning a Cup again.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-02-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Congrats are in order to the Toronto Maple Laffs who reached the 46 win plateau for the first time in team history. That's 91 years folks. And needed the Bettman point system to do it. What a success story......Barf. And this is national sporting news??? Losers. Hey T.O., Vegas needed one year. For the record the Oilers have achieved 46 wins or more 7 times (in 38 years)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Hey Top_dawg, are you listening?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

The Senators gave out McDonalds gift cards for fan appreciation night but didn't activate them, so none of them worked.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Lol. "Activate only if you renew your season tickets" most likely.

Anyway, its off to work I go.

Playoff Predictions

The real season is about to begin.

The first round is often the best round, and the toughest. Some good teams playing other good teams, and a good team is going to lose.

Goaltending is so important, injuries can be devastating, and teams get hot - or not. A mini-slump, and you’re done. A hot goalie can win a series against a much better team.

Anyone could win, but I think Nashville and Pittsburgh, last year’s finalists, have to be considered favourites to meet again.

If playoffs started today:

West

Sharks vs LA - would be a great first round matchup. Kings have been playing great with Carter back in the lineup. Sharks are missing Thornton, but may have got the best fit trade deadline pickup in Evander Kane (currently day-to-day). I’m going to watch all of it if I can. Split season series.

Kings in 6

Knights vs Ducks - Knights still not getting a lot of love, even after a great season. Ducks will be without Bieksa and Cam Fowler. They’re going to miss Fowler’s elite skating against Vegas’ quick forwards. Gibson is out, and questionable. But they’ve had serious injuries all season. They somehow manage to get it done. Vegas have been getting it done all season. Missing some key players, (Reilly, Marchessault, Perron [don’t laugh, Perron is 2 points back of Draisaitl]) but probably sitting them until the playoffs.

Knights in 7

Jets vs Wild - I’m pulling for the Jets this season. Scheifele and Wheeler are awesome together. Laine is great. Bryan Little has been one of the most under-rated players in the league for years, and Ehlers is an elite skater with phenomenal edge work. Missing both Enstrom and Kulikov on D. Minny in tough without Suter and Spurgeon on D. Goaltending will win or lose this series.

Jets in 6

Preds vs Avs - If the Avs make it, they’re going to have a tough time without Varlamov in net and Erik Johnson on D. Preds series to lose. Maybe St. Louis gets in. Won’t matter.

Preds in 4

East

Bruins vs Philly - Bruins have been the better team this season, but any Boston - Philadelphia series is going to be nasty. Will Marchand make it through without being suspended? Nash looks to be coming back for Bruins.

Bruins in 5

Leafs vs Tampa - this should be a fun series to watch. I think goalies match up, maybe give the edge to Tampa up front, but only one team has Victor Hedman. He makes sure the team wins the half of the game he’s playing.

Tampa in 5

Caps vs Devils - The only reason the Capitals aren’t a favourite to win it all is their historical lack of success in the playoffs. This year they have another great team, but two top goalies. I suspect Holtby will backup, but he’s great if he comes in. The Devils don’t have the depth to match up. Washington is healthy, and resting Ovechkin. I hope for Ovie’s sake he has a great playoff. He deserves it.

Cap in 5

Pens vs Columbus - Columbus meet up with the Pens for the 2nd straight season. I’m going out on a limb and saying there’s a good chance for an upset. I don’t know why. Pens are healthier than last season, with Letang. Columbus are missing Foligno. Goaltending is the only way Columbus wins here.

Pens in 6

aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Posting Power

And now introducing, the "Houston Flames."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If anything the Flames will remain where they are:

"Reports have suggested that the city could work with the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation or private-sector companies to build a new arena, with the private companies acting as anchor tenants, but Nenshi said Wednesday that those plans are not being discussed at present,"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rena-1.4502749

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^ Winnipeg/Pittsburgh in the finale. 'Nuff said

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    If anything the Flames will remain where they are:

"Reports have suggested that the city could work with the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation or private-sector companies to build a new arena, with the private companies acting as anchor tenants, but Nenshi said Wednesday that those plans are not being discussed at present,"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rena-1.4502749
    Somebody somewhere is saying something about a certain thing going somewhere......

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    And now introducing, the "Houston Flames."
    Next Day; And now introducing the Calgary Hurricanes . Any team with attendance problems and slim profits or losing money would LOVE the gold mine that the saddledome would be.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ LoL. Never say never but if any of those markets like Houston/Seattle/Quebec even imo want a NHL team, they most likely would want to follow the same model as Vegas as in an expansion draft < just sayin.

C2E Posting Power

^ LoL. Never say never but if any of those markets like Houston/Seattle/Quebec even imo want a NHL team, they most likely would want to follow the same model as Vegas as in an expansion draft < just sayin.
    No, what you're saying is wrong...we already know that Seattle is going to get an EXPANSION team. Houston on the other hand is getting a RELOCATION team, ie the Flamers - wink, wink, nudge, nudge.....

I don't get it; the relocation fee the Flames would have to pay would be double what Calgary is asking for a new arena right where they are now.

Of course, maybe there's someone in Houston willing to buy the team and pay the relocation fee. Be a mighty expensive toy.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Eh? The Thrashers/Jets relocation fee was 60 million. Expansion fees are totally different.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The NHL does not like to relocate teams. The NHL from my understanding would rather work with the host city to keep a current NHL team where they are. I'd be shocked if Calgary Flames relocate. But never say never, right?

https://www.nhl.com/news/gary-bettma...on/c-293103190

As far as Seattle getting an expansion team yes the ownership group there did file for an expansion team. They did a recent successful ticket sold out test. There are some issues with the Key Arena and upgrades. But all this whole Seattle thing needs to go through the NHL board of governors meeting. There is no timeline. Its a process. The Seattle ownership group hopes to have a team ready for the 2020-21 season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...team-1.4534360

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Eh? The Thrashers/Jets relocation fee was 60 million. Expansion fees are totally different.
    As I understand it an NHL expansion fee is something like $10 million US right?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    I don't get it; the relocation fee the Flames would have to pay would be double what Calgary is asking for a new arena right where they are now.

Of course, maybe there's someone in Houston willing to buy the team and pay the relocation fee. Be a mighty expensive toy.
    That's my point Einstein...I hear Edwards already has an 800 million check in hand.....

C2E SME

You're only off by a factor of about 50-60 or so.

Try $500 million. At least that's what Vegas paid.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Actually the $10 million was a deposit. OVG expects to pay $650 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Try $500 million. At least that's what Vegas paid.
    Seattle made a $10M down payment. The expansion fee for Seattle is supposed to be $650M.

Also privately financed $600M remodelling of Key Arena.

Anybody else watching the playoffs?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ As mentioned in the link I posted. Its big money to be sure.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was watching the Winnipeg game. 4-1 Jets. Different outcome when the game goes to Mini

I have been. All over the Vegas bandwagon!!!

C2E Posting Power

That's my point Einstein...I hear Edwards already has an 800 million check in hand.....
    Hmmm...I guess I didn't make myself clear....but I hear the Flames have been sold to Houston already....

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Houston wouldn't surprise me. I was living there when Les Alexander was going after the Oilers. When the deal fell through, he was absolutely and genuinely surprised. So was I...the money there was colossal. Still is....
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    I'm picking Vegas, San Jose, Nashville, Jets, Columbus,Tampa, Boston, and hoping for Philly

Hmmm...I guess I didn't make myself clear....but I hear the Flames have been sold to Houston already....
    I've googled and googled but found only old reports of maybe, could, might etc. Did it happen this morning ?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

I've googled and googled but found only old reports of maybe, could, might etc. Did it happen this morning ?
    Heard the owners had a meeting 3 nights ago and made the deal....

Holee Cow. So when do you think they will make an announcement?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-04-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Checked the Chronicle but didn't see anything there.

I'm picking Vegas, San Jose, Nashville, Jets, Columbus,Tampa, Boston, and hoping for Philly
    My only difference with your list is the Devils over TB (I have a friend that's a big Devils fan - I don't personally care one way or the other).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Checked the Chronicle but didn't see anything there.

..yeah...while the Chronicle wouldn't have the desire to print as much as the Herald would...I would be surprised if this happened in secret as keeping secrets is really...really hard.

Plus...with the Olympic bid looming...that is their in for a new rink a la 1988
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There might be a "deal" in principle but any relocation would need NHL approval after a board of governors meeting.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It would...but it also would take a lot of convincing for it to not go through...

...the reputation of the NHL as a viable league would hang on the decision...

This is all speculation. I would expect a press release would have gone out by now if this is true.

Bettman would sign off on it. He was part of the threat too and he really wants a team in Houston. I'm sure him and his buddy Tilman have it figured out. 800mil would be hard to resist for any owner. Should this go through there is already another cast of characters in Calgary saying they would finance the next team, perhaps a hurricane relocation? If it ends up being true I would hope for a name change in Houston so the Flames name would be available in Calgary.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Any press release (if this is true-doubtful) would most likely come out after the playoffs are over.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bettman would sign off on it. He was part of the threat too and he really wants a team in Houston. I'm sure him and his buddy Tilman have it figured out. 800mil would be hard to resist for any owner. Should this go through there is already another cast of characters in Calgary saying they would finance the next team, perhaps a hurricane relocation? If it ends up being true I would hope for a name change in Houston so the Flames name would be available in Calgary.
    Again, e NHL does not like to relocate teams. If Houston wants a team they'd probably go through (imo) the expansion draft process like Seattle is apparently doing. If in any expansion draft if it were possible, I'd leave Lucic unprotected. Just sayin.

C2E Posting Power

Any press release (if this is true-doubtful) would most likely come out after the playoffs are over.
    Doubtful? Maybe - but this came from someone within their organization. Maybe they'll take the check and waive it in front of Nenshi's face as a bargaining chip.....who knows.....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As of last December:

www.houstonpress.com/news/nhl-says-yes-to-seattle-puts-houston-on-hold-10029514

Seattle expansion is a given. Seattle needs a lot more time to upgrade the Key arena.

Sounds to me like this is fake news. But I like the idea of sticking it to Nenshi
    Last edited by envaneo; 14-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Huh? You dyslexic? Article clearly states, "NHL-ready rink."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I corrected that, my bad.

Loved seeing the Sharks beat the ducks twice in Anaheim. I hate those dirty bastards. Looks like the laughs will be out in 4 against the bruins. Vegas beating LA in the first two is lovely. No love for LA. Preds and Avs, no surprises. Hope tb ousts nj quickly. Looks good. Cbj doing the usual to wash, the chokingest team forever. The peg in 5. Go Flyers. I've seen enough of pit winning it. My take
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-04-2018 at 12:47 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Loved seeing the Sharks beat the ducks twice in Anaheim. I hate those dirty bastards. Looks like the laughs will be out in 4 against the bruins. Vegas beating LA in the first two is lovely. No love for LA. Panthers and Avs, no surprises. Hope tb ousts nj quickly. Looks good. Cbj doing the usual to wash, the chokingest team forever. The peg in 5. Go Flyers. I've seen enough of pit winning it. My take
    Don't you mean the Predators and the Avs?

Absolutely envaneo. Stupid mistake. I have pneumonia and am on strong meds.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Everyone calls me out on similar things, so now its my turn. No offence. You were just an easy target, I couldn't resist

Hope you take care of that and are on the mend.

Thanks. I've been sick for six weeks and still quite sick. Going in Monday for X-rays again. See how my lungs are faring.

Man, that double OT win was something to watch.

Quick almost stole one for LA.

How about David Pasternak?

9 points in 2 games, including 6 in last one.

Leafs, maybe, could use Khadri, except for his ultra-stupid hip to the head against the boards on Wingels. I think Wingels deserved a penalty too, just before. but Khadri was over the top - again.

The NHL said they are sending a stand message with the 3 game suspension.

Let's see, 4 games (the rest of the season) in 2016 for head shot on Luke Glendenning. Just before that, 4 games for a headshot on Oilers Matt Fraser. 3 games in 2013 for shot to the back of goalie Niklas Backstom's head. Should have been suspended for headshots on Daniel Sedin and Shea Weber, but, for some reason, we continue to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, and multiple second chances.

Every time they're "sending a strong message." He isn't getting the message!

Another Gretzky record broken. Youngest player ever to score six points in a playoff game. David Pastrnak

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its early to tell but there doesn't look like there are any upsets just yet. The Leafs could be in trouble though.

Has Auston Matthews been a healthy scratch for two games? hahahahaha.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Maybe they don't like him and want to trade him to the oilers for future considerations and a bag of pucks in the offseason, and still pay half his salary. Lol.

C2E SME

I'm calling BS on any supposed secret deal to sell the Flames to Houston. Believe it or not, the NHL doesn't want to relocate franchises if there is viable local ownership (that was why the Thrashers were moved, because there was no one willing to support a team in Atlanta), and things haven't gotten nearly so bad between the Flames and Calgary that the NHL is willing to give up.

^That's a bit of an overpay...wait til the dopey Leafs resign him to stupid money then trade him and retain salary. lol
    Time will tell on Mr. Matthews playoff performances. Could be this generations Rick Nash....

C2E Posting Power

I'm calling BS on any supposed secret deal to sell the Flames to Houston. Believe it or not, the NHL doesn't want to relocate franchises if there is viable local ownership (that was why the Thrashers were moved, because there was no one willing to support a team in Atlanta), and things haven't gotten nearly so bad between the Flames and Calgary that the NHL is willing to give up.
    BS or not......Edwards has $800,000,000.00 reasons to sell the team now.....I'd say he made some good coin....

Hey quiet with that 800 mil talk, you may draw Daryl's attention.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've been saying this all along. Flames remain in Calgary.

Love seeing the ducks get spanked 8-1. Surprising though. Is it a sweep? Guess we'll wait and see.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This has all the makings of a sweep. The Jets need a split on the road.

Hey quiet with that 800 mil talk, you may draw Daryl's attention.
    Oh, he can sell the team, but the package includes a 30-year contract to keep it here in Big E.
    ... gobsmacked

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames

The #Flames have relieved Glen Gulutzan, Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard of their coaching duties.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This could mean several things: One, typical response for missing the playoffs, Two, something bigger in the works here. My guess is the first one.

Nothing big happening. I don't think Gulutzan was safe after missing the playoffs and the organization wants a change.

Three teams now looking for new coaches:
    Dallas
    Calgary
    New York Rangers

Carolina may be as well as they have let Bill Peters take this week to talk to other teams as he had a out clause in his contract.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's what I thought as well. Oilers are fortunate to have coach TM. His coaching staff, that's another matter.

Watch for these teams to shuffle the deck.

I was thinking if the Flames were sold to Houston why would they bother firing coaches or doing anything really, just ship em off as is. May be fake news, but maybe not

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

The only people benefiting from this outlandish rumour are those angling for a new arena. The Flames ownership knows exactly what buttons to press just like Katz did when he and the old boys trundled off to Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Calgary Flames @NHLFlames

The #Flames have relieved Glen Gulutzan, Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard of their coaching duties.
    Just cleaning house, after not making the playoffs. Of course when they do, they choke..lol

Maybe Oilers need to do the same

Vegas completes the sweep of the Kings. What a season they're having.

For real.

Every prognosticator who looked at the team with most of those players before the season had them picked for last or near last. I did.

No superstars, except maybe Fleury, who was supposedly washed up and mostly done 2 or 3 years ago. Seen as more of a marquee signing than a Vezina type - but he's been incredible.

3 goals against in the entire series.

Well coached. Every single player knows how to check. Lots of speed and skill, but most of them had to learn to play a defence first, team first style just to stay in the NHL. It's hard to tell one from the other some times.

Not much drop off in talent from the top to the bottom of the lineup.

LA couldn't match their pace, and couldn't slow the game down to their style.

I kinda hope they win the cup, just because it'd be the craziest thing. McPhee has to be a lock for GM of the year award. What he was able to pull off with the expansion draft was amazing.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If it comes down to decide the West, I'd love to see a Vegas/Jets match up. My money is still on Jets/Pittsburgh in the finale.

For real.

Every prognosticator who looked at the team with most of those players before the season had them picked for last or near last. I did.

No superstars, except maybe Fleury, who was supposedly washed up and mostly done 2 or 3 years ago. Seen as more of a marquee signing than a Vezina type - but he's been incredible.

Well coached. Every single player knows how to check. Lots of speed and skill, but most of them had to learn to play a defence first, team first style just to stay in the NHL. It's hard to tell one from the other some times.

I look at the knights as indication that some GM's are much better than others. The expansion draft, as set, shouldn't result in the plums that Vegas picked and acquired and yet it did. But you look through the lineup and every player has a role, every player was well scouted to fit that role, the coach was hired to fit that role. This is the result of an actual concept of team and building out that concept. The Knights play team pressure, team gap control, team D. Theres not one top 4 D in the bunch and the closest was likely McNabb who the Kings would have wanted to keep if they could.

I always thought the Oilers should have retained Hall and go in more of this direction rather than searching for top D. Most people never even gave a second thought to any of the D that Vegas has.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

This will likely start a debate but I'm not on this 'Vegas Love-In'. I'm happy for them. I don't hate them. And it's a great story. I even like the way they play. But it's one year. In an inaugural season with no pressure and no expectations. In a market that will embrace them regardless (for a while anyway). McPhee knew this and picked players accordingly. Good on him. They don't have (yet) the same infrastructure or history all or most other NHL teams have and the inherent pressures that come with that. But I'm not buying this Vegas mystic that its a bunch of cast offs, also-rans, and throw-aways that have bought into this 'we'll prove them wrong' mentality.
    Example, Vegas has no farm system with young players pushing vets for jobs etc. No one selected for the Vegas team had any training camp competition etc. YDon't think this doesn't play into a player's head? think again. This year in Vegas you get picked off someone else's roster, you made the team.
    And don't be fooled, some of these current Vegas players are playing to get noticed by other teams. Not everyone wanted to be exposed by their other team and then selected by Vegas and want to stay in Vegas.
    Lets see the Vegas organization repeat this years success not just next year but year after year. Lets pick up this topic in 5 years.
    Was this LA sweep all on Vegas or LA's inability to score? Anyone see Jeff Carter? Kopitar? Yes, not Vegas's fault these players didn't compete well and Vegas took advantage and played their style of game. But future trials await them in the Western Conf. Hell even our Oilers exposed them to some degree when our skill matches up against their 3rd pairing Dmen. Nashville, Winnipeg and San Jose are watching.
    Last edited by bpeters; 19-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Should never have let Hall go? That's an understatement. In NHL speak he's still got a few good years in him. In hindsight most would agree "trading" Hall for a salary dump was the worst Oilers "deal" ever. Trading Eberle even more so. Visiting recent memory is all fine and well, but living in the past boarders on mental illness. Its time to move on. The error was made (several: signing Lucic to big money/Ebs etc) on Hall. Wishing is for losers, winners work with what they have. Just saying

^^ Should never have let Hall go? That's an understatement. In NHL speak he's still got a few good years in him. In hindsight most would agree "trading" Hall for a salary dump was the worst Oilers "deal" ever. Trading Eberle even more so. Visiting recent memory is all fine and well, but living in the past boarders on mental illness. Its time to move on. The error was made (several: signing Lucic to big money/Ebs etc) on Hall. Wishing is for losers, winners work with what they have. Just saying
    What we have is Chia and the Edmonton Oilers.

Thank heavens for McD and Drai. Couldn't imagine how bad this club would be without them.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

For real.

I look at the knights as indication that some GM's are much better than others. The expansion draft, as set, shouldn't result in the plums that Vegas picked and acquired and yet it did. But you look through the lineup and every player has a role, every player was well scouted to fit that role, the coach was hired to fit that role. This is the result of an actual concept of team and building out that concept. The Knights play team pressure, team gap control, team D. Theres not one top 4 D in the bunch and the closest was likely McNabb who the Kings would have wanted to keep if they could.

I always thought the Oilers should have retained Hall and go in more of this direction rather than searching for top D. Most people never even gave a second thought to any of the D that Vegas has.
    It sure was a brilliantly put together team. With an emphasis on the word TEAM. MacPhee is looking like a genius.

Even knowing who they got prior to the season most had them pegged for last.

Shea Theodore is a top 4D on most teams. Top pairing on some, the Oilers, for sure. Not the best. Nate Schmidt is an elite skater for a D-man. Not the best. I thought McNabb was top 4 in LA, but you'd know better than I. You're mostly right. But they're all NHLers who know their role, and they don't need to be heroes.

What the Vegas Knights have in spades is solid depth. I don't mean a whole bunch of minor league prospects that can step in, but are a step down. There's not much drop off. They're all NHL pros. They didn't seem to have a first line. But the had guys for 5 second lines. Not bubble players or prospects.

Guys like Perron, who finished 4 points back of Draisaitl in 8 less games (I think).

When a guy goes down the "next man up" mentality usually involves a player having to rise to the challenge. Not in Vegas. The next guy up can play the same role. The only guy they have that looks lost out there is Tatar, and he's sitting.

Fleury has been a revelation. Shouldn't be a surprise. He's been "washed up" before. I thought of him as a sort of marquee goodwill ambassador. One of the most loved players in the game by his teammates. I thought Vegas did the Pens a solid by taking him, and his cap hit, off their roster. But I don't think it's possible to play better than he did this series. If he doesn't play great, Quick steals the series.

Talking about this skater or that one kind of misses the point. They don't need to be the greatest. Just very good. They play smart. All they need to do is do their job, because everybody else is doing their job. No heroes. They seem to play as 5 man units similar to the way the Russians used to play in the 70's.

Most expansion teams in the past built their teams around a marquee talent to attract fans, especially in a far from traditional market. An aging superstar playing out the end of their career in the limelight.

Vegas didn't really get any marquee superstar. I wouldn't be surprised if >75% of the season tickets holders had never heard of Jaromir Jagr.

Some are seeing this as a harbinger of the death of heavy hockey. Yes and no. Tell that to Bufuglien, who's having a whale of a series.

I see teams like Anaheim, who went full goon near the end of game 3, getting called for a lot of the stuff they used to get away with. The colour guy said they were "sending a message for game 4." Instead they need to get the message. Took a ton of stupid penalties, and lost 8-1.

Doughty's head shot cost him a game, a game Quick nearly stole. I think the Kings thought they could wear them down over 7, like usual. Instead they wore themselves out.

Keeping Hall seems obvious in hindsight. Just about everybody knew they needed D. A lot of people were ok with it because the Oilers had McDavid. No-one could have predicted the season Hall is having, or the injuries and stuff that affected Larsson, but they had different ceilings, with Hall not reaching his yet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What we have is Chia and the Edmonton Oilers.

Thank heavens for McD and Drai. Couldn't imagine how bad this club would be without them.
    Is that good or bad?

McD yes. Drai was a huge disappointment for me. At $8.5, fail. Same with Lucic at $6m/year?

C2E Posting Power

the Oilers HAD to let Hall go - his ego was too big to fit through any doors. He would never have let McDavid take the Captaincy without a massive pout attack. He wasn't let go for a salary dump.....I've heard a few stories that would make your h ead explode about Hall. Eberle NOT even more so...not an error at all.....good riddance on him. Besides, take a break from the NHL thread bud...this **** is way over your head. The only mistake is Lucic...we're on the hook for 35 more Million bucks....couldn't trade him a bucket of pucks and dozen broken sticks...

the Oilers HAD to let Hall go - his ego was too big to fit through any doors. He would never have let McDavid take the Captaincy without a massive pout attack. He wasn't let go for a salary dump.....I've heard a few stories that would make your h ead explode about Hall.
    Amen to this. But ssshhhhh, most on this forum would have you believe it was a straight up hockey trade for Larsson.....

I know the main reason Hall was traded but it's not up for discussion here.

C2E Posting Power

Yeah me too....heard it from the horses mouth so to speak......

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've been hearing stories as well that apparently Hall was a selfish player.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Speculation: Are you suggesting a Chris Pronger/weather girl kind of a thing? Hogwash.
    Last edited by envaneo; 20-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Yeah me too....heard it from the horses mouth so to speak......
    I think we may have talked to the same horse. Evo, you're on the wrong track. I say no more.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Good because if it was a Chris Pronger kind of situation, then that's bs.

Cheers to Matt Hendricks and the Jets for giving Winnipeg a big payoff for their patience in waiting to get a team back in town. 5-0 to take their first-round series.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Wtg Winnipeg!!!!!!!!!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I laughed at the Preds fans thinking this one is in the bag, then Ave's scored sucking all the life out of the building to win the game. Priceless.

I laughed at the Preds fans thinking this one is in the bag, then Ave's scored sucking all the life out of the building to win the game. Priceless.
    It was always in the bag. Kind of silly for the Preds to extend it to 6 games but a 5-0 thrashing of the AV's has ended the series, which should have ended earlier. lmfao at being trounced 5-0 in your own rink in a deciding game. NOT even close.

In 3 of the Wins in the series the Preds got 5 goals. You don't win any games in the WC playoffs giving up 5 goals.

AV's get out the golf clubs again cuz they can't play a lick of D.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks. I was following the Preds/Aves game yesterday but got involved in other things. So lets see in the West its:

Winnipeg

Vegas

Nashville

San Josie

Is that right?

^ Thanks. I was following the Preds/Aves game yesterday but got involved in other things. So lets see in the West its:

Winnipeg

Vegas

Nashville

San Josie

Is that right?
    Yup!

Winnipeg vs. Nashville
    Vegas vs. San Jose

Round 2 Western matchups.

Cheering for Winnipeg, but (sadly) not betting against Nashville.

Vegas for western final? That'd be delish.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm cheering for the Jets as well. Basically Hellebuyck needs to be better then Rinne, Byfuglien needs to be better then Subban, play like in game 1.

I'm hoping San Jose can take Vegas out. its a long shot but I'm still hoping for a Jets/Penn's match in the finale.

Winnipeg fans...https://globalnews.ca/news/4161711/w...nashville/amp/

Winnipeg fans blocked from buying tickets to NHL playoff games in Nashville

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Probably for their own safety if the Jets win, lol.

Probably for their own safety if the Jets win, lol.
    Which they will

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast