Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arlington | Discussion

From recent Edmonton Journal articles it looks like a losing battle to save it where it sits. So the solution is to rebuild the Arlington in or beside Fort Edmonton Park as a working premium quality apartment building with the most desirable address in Edmonton. Let it pay for itself again.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonInfo View Post
    The Arlington is part of our past, not our future

Paula Simons, The Edmonton Journal

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...d-4c5da5e64430
    Published: 2:30 am Saturday April 12 2008

In my youth, the Arlington Apartment block was one of Edmonton's coolest buildings. If you were a prairie kid, dreaming of life in the big city, visiting the Arlington could give you the delicious illusion that you lived in New York or Chicago.

With its red-brick walls, its hardwood floors, its built-in Murphy beds, the Arlington looked like the kind of ultra-hip apartment we saw on our movie and TV screens.

For those of us raised in the freshly built Edmonton suburbs, the Arlington, in all its tatty glory, bespoke urban chic.
    Why didn't she comment on the horrible condition this building was in and that a fire was bound to happen? Or how this guy is trying to BS the public with falling condo prices cries.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Folks, watch the personal comments.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    To the Moderators:
    Can the owner's name be published in this forum?
    Awareness only.

It can be as it is public record just as if it was 123 Anywhere Alberta Inc.; however, the ACCUSATIONS LEVIED HERE are dangerous, just as in the Urbia thread. There is a razor's edge between opinion and accusation. For those making direct accusations against a person, watch your step.

As for the topic at hand, I hate to say "I told you so", but I told you so. Fire destroys. One quick look at that building post blaze told me that they wouldn't fix it up. So, the political game ensues and here we are - to absolutely no amazement to me.
    Last edited by RichardS; 12-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I don't disagree with what was said above. However it seems to me that the Arlington has burned down. I will miss it but it's gone. No effort to preserve the front wall, or what is left of it, will bring the Arlington back. Sometimes it is nice to preserve a wall when nothing else will work, but in this case we are talking about a wall of a burned out building. It may not even be structurally strong enough to serve any purpose. What would it be, office space? Perhaps part of the Condo building with little windows instead of the floor to ceiling windows that are desired so much by so many.

I hold the owner responsible for what has taken place, but I also think that it's time to stop trying to save remnants of a destroyed building. It's gone. Let it go so that the site can be improved from what it is now. I love old brick buildings and I used to walk past the Arlington every day. I loved that old building, but it is gone and there is nothing that anybody can do about it. The best thing we can do is get that site fixed up.

Amen. Recover any heritage monies and city funding, charge for any clean up, have the insurance company deal with the building's owner, and let's move on. I'm sorry, I like brick buildings proibably more than most here on this forum, but it is time to give it up on this one. She's gone, so now let's play hardball and get to the bottom of the story here and hold those who have in any way defrauded the process or the money accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Amen. Recover any heritage monies and city funding, charge for any clean up, have the insurance company deal with the building's owner, and let's move on.
    You forgot "revoke the DC2."

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Whatever it takes. Like other issues, let's stop babbling and start acting - legally I might add.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Simons' article states that Singh's son Ashwani is a co-owner. Doesn't he run the CosMedics botox clinic downtown? In any case, he seems more willing to talk than his dad:

"For us, it's a tough position, because we love the building as well," says Ashwani Singh. "Do people think we're just holding off because we want to tear the place down? That's not the case. But at what point does it end? Our engineers tell us the bricks won't stand up. Even if we do rebuild the facade, do you want us to spend money doing it with defective brick?"
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

How likely is the city to start a lawsuit or deliver an ultimatum against Signh the owner? I'm sure the city's patience is really starting to wear thin by now to the point that it'll definitely take action before the end of this year. It's just unbelievable what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    i loved how Dr. Singh said

"i would sell it back to the city, at a market price of course"

the city should buy it back and deduct:

-heritage grants
    -a site cleanup
    -a fee for historical re-reconstruction

The city should expropriate it at the market price on the day the insurance claim was settled, less a charge for deterioration since that day.

Or if the owner prefers, we can expropriate it at the market price on the day before the fire, less a charge for deterioration since that day, but in that case we'd get every penny of the insurance proceeds as part of the deal.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Default The Arlington | Residential Tower | Proposed

Call this a rant, call this an ask ed, call this buildings and architecture, call this a greater idea for Greater Edmonton... and yes, I know there has been previous topics... but what gives? Why is this still here?

What the heck is going on here? 3+ years ago the fire happened. The building still is in post fire condition. Its quite obvious that who ever the current land owner is doesn't give 2 iotas of care how bad his property current looks, nor cares little about doing anything about it. I'm personally getting sick of it. Tear it down, rebuild it, put something new there, just do something with it. If you can't afford to, sell it off. It should be criminal the way the land owner has left this property in.

It brings me no pleasure at all to say that a C2E crew cleaned around this whole property earlier this spring, and I just returned there today... and its 3 times as bad as it was.

If this city had any balls, it would force this issue already. What an awful shame.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

^yah i noticed that as well...perhaps me and my CapCityCleanup picker upper will head over.

but yes, truly a shame for such a beautiful old building. Not to mention that the plan wasnt half bad and this area of the downtown would really benefit from another 100 people.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I've walked by there several times recently and I can smell poop. Perhaps a petition needs to be signed up and delivered to Dr. Singh and his son CosMedics Lad.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

perhaps we should pick everything up and put it out front Cosmedics
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I've walked by there several times recently and I can smell poop. Perhaps a petition needs to be signed up and delivered to Dr. Singh and his son CosMedics Lad.
    perhaps we should pick everything up and put it out front Cosmedics
    and seeing as our efforts and our complaints here and to the city and to the media haven't had the desired effect, maybe it's time to pick it up and sent that petition to capital health (or whatever the successor group is now called) or to the provincial and federal health and safety departments to see if anyone has the gumption to order a demolition and cleanup of what is now a public health hazard...

either that or we could start a city of edmonton pigeon guano registry and see of anyone the likes of these guys would like to expand:

http://explanation-guide.info/meanin...g-Company.html
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

If we wait much longer, the fire damage might be considered historical, and then we wont be able to do anything with this building!!!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking it would just be better to knock it down... I'm so frustrated that it's still sitting the way it is, and now the condo market has softened up a bit, so I don't think we'll see anything happen there at all.

100the Ave tends to stink to high heaven from 116th to 102nd. The sewers downtown are combined, so the catchbasins exude a much more "lively" aroma than in most other areas. It can get better/worse depending on how recently there's been rain and so on.

As far as the Arlington goes, at some point the city should be able to seize the land or at the very least be able to conduct it's own demolition and backcharge the landowner for the expenses. At this point there's little question that the building is not salvageable in any fashion.

there was a news article on it about a week ago. they talked to the property owner and it seemed like something would be happening pretty soon but i dont know what his idea of soon is.

I'm a huge fan of restoration. I'm also a huge fan of redevelopment and dispite the buildings age and historical value, it's now a burnt out safety hazard not to mention in hideout for the undesirable types. Personally, I would not cry if this was torn down. I'd be happier if it was a parking lot at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    100the Ave tends to stink to high heaven from 116th to 102nd. The sewers downtown are combined, so the catchbasins exude a much more "lively" aroma than in most other areas. It can get better/worse depending on how recently there's been rain and so on.

As far as the Arlington goes, at some point the city should be able to seize the land or at the very least be able to conduct it's own demolition and backcharge the landowner for the expenses. At this point there's little question that the building is not salvageable in any fashion.

I believe that's what the city did with the owner and land the old Internation Hotel sat on. They gave the owner a number of notices to clean up and bring up to code and eventually they tore it down and billed the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by KingswayGuy View Post
    I'm a huge fan of restoration. I'm also a huge fan of redevelopment and dispite the buildings age and historical value, it's now a burnt out safety hazard not to mention in hideout for the undesirable types. Personally, I would not cry if this was torn down. I'd be happier if it was a parking lot at this point.
    yes, let's rid ourselves of another amazing building that can be restored or rebuilt in part.
    www.decl.org

yes, let's rid ourselves of another amazing building that can be restored or rebuilt in part.
    But the thing is, will it be restored? I honestly doubt that is going to happen now. I am 100% for restoration, but I really doubt the owner has the balls to do it.

^im quite certain that was written into the DC2
    www.decl.org

It may even be the goal of the owner. Leave it like it is, until the outrage is such, that people are happy enough seeing it knocked down for at grade parking or some other structure. A true shame if that were to transpire...
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.

The problem is that if the city orders a teardown, then other unscrupulous owners may decide that all they have to do is wait the city out

This area is a blight on the city and like everyone else I'm frustrated at the owner's intransigence, but I honestly don't know what the next stage should be.

Demolition and fines for the owner, that may well be a small cost for him to get of this historical site! Or make him follow through on his commitment - but how do you do that? I'm also sure that the city probably doesn't want to do some sort of expropriation, although that may be the best option
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

First One is Always Free

let's all remember my conspiracy theory...

*the only way you can knock down or replace a heritage building is if it is destroyed by fire*

I understand the importance of doing just that. I just believe that at this point, it's likely not going to get restored (at under current ownership) and eventually the line will get crossed and will sadly be lost.

First One is Always Free

^it can still be rebuilt "as-is"...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Expropriate the sucker.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

First One is Always Free

I think the owner has wasted tax payers time and money. Everytime he said "city come and go partner with me" they did and now 3 years after the fact... I THINK the city should make an example of him. Make him restore what he can or rebuild. ON HIS DIME!!
    Train your mind to see the good in everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by sassychx View Post
    I think the owner has wasted tax payers time and money. Everytime he said "city come and go partner with me" they did and now 3 years after the fact... I THINK the city should make an example of him. Make him restore what he can or rebuild. ON HIS DIME!!
    I think we can all pretty much agree with you there... this guy has been yanking out chain for the past 3 years. Time to go after the bugger and teach him who's boss.

C2E SME

I too think that the owner wants to get this building torn down and then he can either build whatever building he wants or add another parking lot to the core.

Too bad there wasn't some sort of rule that would force him to restore the building or pay the city the a massive demolision bill (one that would equal the cost of construction of a new building). That way he either builds something now and spend the money or spend a bunch of money and not get anything out of it.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

My guess is that he's taken such a thrashing in the stock markets this year that he will not be building anything period!

Then it's time for the city to take the land and what's left of the building away from him, and sell it to the highest bidder willing to take on the project. Do I care who it is? Not really, as long as they do a decent job.

So the Arlington has a demo permit as of sept. 9th....

Absolutely deplorable. Edmonton and Dr. Singh should both be completely ashamed of themselves. We loose yet another building with character, heritage, and feeling. ****.
    www.decl.org

It really is deplorable. It certainly speaks to the character (or lack thereof) of the owner and the weakness of the City when it come to matters like this. Terribly sad. What's worse, I'm betting we won't see anything new there for a long time to come.
    Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 30-09-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Almost always open to debate...

^I wonder how long until Impark sets up shop....

pathetic
    www.decl.org

Today is a sad sad day. Good job Singh, you cheap *******, for taking away one of our city's last historical buildings and letting it fall past the point of repair. I am so angry.

^I wonder how long until Impark sets up shop....

pathetic
    Shhhh... I don't want to hear those words "ImPark"... it makes me sick.

So the city contributed money to refurbish Mr. Singh's building through one of the heritage grant programs. Mr. Singh's building burnt down. Mr. Singh's building was presumably insured. Does the city get any of its money back?

If not, what kindof monkeys write those contracts?

The article in today's Journal suggests the money will be paid back. I think interest should be paid on it too.

Did anything ever come out of that fire? Did anyone ever get charged? Are there any plausible conspiracy theories involving Singh and the fire?

i dont believe anyone was charged... but the wiring et al was a mess. However, there is a certain clause for heritage buildings i do find interesting.
    www.decl.org

Default Historic downtown apartment building finally gets its demolition order

Historic downtown apartment building finally gets its demolition order
    --Efforts to preserve the core of the burnout out structure were abandoned when cost of restoration became prohibitive

Todd Babiak, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 9:19 am September 30, 2008

<...>

In April 2005, when an arsonist's fire damaged the Arlington, it touched Edmontonians in an uncommon way. We have so few of these shared spaces, story houses, left in the city. We were cheered to read in The Journal, two days after the fire, that building inspectors were sure the building could be salvaged. It was a provincial and a municipal historic site. The owner, Saraswati Singh, had recently received more than $500,000 from both levels of government to renovate the building.

Link:
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-d7fa67315b36

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    Historic downtown apartment building finally gets its demolition order
    --Efforts to preserve the core of the burnout out structure were abandoned when cost of restoration became prohibitive

Todd Babiak, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 9:19 am September 30, 2008

Link:
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-d7fa67315b36
    And I don't believe that the costs were prohibitive, especially not at the beginning. I believe Singh is just a cheap human being with no respect for the City of Edmonton.

^ Agreed with Etownboarder

mind you, the entire concept of this building WRT suite size and layout was flawed. Most units were 900-1200sqft if i recall which was going to put the avg. price in the 450-500,000 range for a B or even C class location.
    www.decl.org

Welp, anyone want to create a nice rendering of what the parking lot with the arch would look like...

Eventually we will see a 10 to 20 story condo block on the site, but likely not for a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    Eventually we will see a 10 to 20 story condo block on the site, but likely not for a few years...
    Hmmm, I wonder if we will... I don't have any faith in Singh to do the right thing.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

So the Arlington has a demo permit as of sept. 9th....

Absolutely deplorable. Edmonton and Dr. Singh should both be completely ashamed of themselves. We loose yet another building with character, heritage, and feeling. ****.
    there is a big difference beween a demolition order and a demolition permit that amounts to more than "splitting hairs"...

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if we will... I don't have any faith in Singh to do the right thing.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Singh sells the land. Let me put it another way: I HOPE he sells the land to someone responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Singh sells the land. Let me put it another way: I HOPE he sells the land to someone responsible.
    ABSOLUTELY... I hope so.

C2E Posting Power

A city like Victoria would do everything it could to restore a heritage building like this...
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

The Arlington most certainly would've had a better chance at restoration if it hadn't been for that scum bag Singh. That man has no respect for history or for the city of Edmonton.

If it is indeed full scale tear the whole building down... I think we should protest... This building has MAJOR historical value to Edmonton, and needs to be saved...

The city should stonewall Mr. Singh at each instance they can in any of his endeavors he, and his 'family' take around this city. His Son certainly likes to buy up 3-4 storey wood frame ****-shack walkup apartments... You want a DP on this? You're going to have to jump through sooo many hoops, checks and re-checks...

I will pour a beer on the ground if I see this building face a wrecking ball or similar eqp...

It's time to play hardball with this guy...

My thoughts exactly medwards. I would be down for a protest... with signs, and lots of people making a scene. Maybe blocking the equipment being used to knock it down even? lol

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Re: the Arlington
    The DC2 zoning and the DP for the condo tower would become null and void with the demolition of the Arlington because the DC2 and the DP were premised on the restorative integration of the historic building. So the land may revert to the old zoning, CMU - Commercial Mixed Use.

Presently the Administration is working on securing some of the charachter defining elements of the building prior to demolition. Demolition was orderd by the Saftey Codes Act (Provincial legislation) trumping many of the City's remaining options. The Province of Alberta also is of the opinion that the building is beyond salvation and they will be repealing the heritage designation of the building. The demolition permit has not actually been issued yet pending securing the desired components of the structure. Administration is not allowing it to be used as a parking lot.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Citysource View Post
    The DC2 zoning and the DP for the condo tower would become null and void with the demolition of the Arlington because the DC2 and the DP were premised on the restorative integration of the historic building. So the land may revert to the old zoning, CMU - Commercial Mixed Use.

Presently the Administration is working on securing some of the charachter defining elements of the building prior to demolition. Demolition was orderd by the Saftey Codes Act (Provincial legislation) trumping many of the City's remaining options. The Province of Alberta also is of the opinion that the building is beyond salvation and they will be repealing the heritage designation of the building. The demolition permit has not actually been issued yet pending securing the desired components of the structure. Administration is not allowing it to be used as a parking lot.
    which is part of my earlier point about the difference between a permit and an order. hopefully the issuing of an order will also open some avenues to recover some of the heritage and other grant monies that were - again hopefully - conditional on the status/condition of the building being maintained. maybe in the future the city will also insist on being a named insured so they get "first call" on the proceeds.

C2E SME

It's a disgrace that the Arlington was never fixed up after it burned down. I certainly hope that the City and the Province make Singh pay the grant money back.

Administration is not allowing it to be used as a parking lot.
    Thank goodness.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

My thoughts exactly medwards. I would be down for a protest... with signs, and lots of people making a scene. Maybe blocking the equipment being used to knock it down even? lol
    /signed

I suck at organizing things, but I would certainly participate with my presence. Speculation in said article was that the stalling on restoration was deliberate to the point where safety became an issue. Not surprising.

Partially Addicted to C2E

What a sad, sad day... wow. just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    His Son certainly likes to buy up 3-4 storey wood frame ****-shack walkup apartments...
    Didn't know that. I thought all he did was run his CosMedics thing and show off his trophy wife whenever possible.

So the land may revert to the old zoning, CMU - Commercial Mixed Use.
    For the functionally ignorant like me, remind me what could be built?

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

which is part of my earlier point about the difference between a permit and an order. hopefully the issuing of an order will also open some avenues to recover some of the heritage and other grant monies that were - again hopefully - conditional on the status/condition of the building being maintained. maybe in the future the city will also insist on being a named insured so they get "first call" on the proceeds.
    I hear you Ken, the quick to assume seems very prevalent around here.

I guess now that the building is beyond repair, I would be okay if Singh was forced to rebuild the building from scratch, exactly as it was... how about that? Still not happy about it, but it would be better than an empty lot.

If this singh character was planning all along to let this building fall into disrepair so he could demolish it, then the EDC should make sure that what he plans to build is spectacular. Just keep denying and denying and force him to build something amazing at the spot. The design committee really needs to give this guy a taste of his own medicine.

Alternatively, if it is possible, the best case scenario would be for the city to seize the property and restore it in association with a good local developer.

No, the City doesn't need to purchase anything. The best thing is the site is sold to a developer, a real developer.

Quote Originally Posted by markh15 View Post
    If this singh character was planning all along to let this building fall into disrepair so he could demolish it, then the EDC should make sure that what he plans to build is spectacular. Just keep denying and denying and force him to build something amazing at the spot. The design committee really needs to give this guy a taste of his own medicine.

Alternatively, if it is possible, the best case scenario would be for the city to seize the property and restore it in association with a good local developer.
    QFT. The first half anyways. If this particular line of speculation has any substance, the city should not have let him get away with it in the first place. Doesn't inspire alot of confidence.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Is this the same man who was featured in Avenue magazine last month for his "Architectural" stucco masterpiece?

That is all I can say.
    Not one of the miserable ones on here... no really.

While we're at it:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/954.cfm

There's also a wikipedia entry for the Alington, if anyone cares to add to it.

Dr. Singh is a real piece of work. I really really really really really dislike that man. I wonder if he ever reads any of this stuff. DO YOU HEAR THAT DR. SINGH? YOU'RE A SCUM BAG WHO PURPOSEFULLY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ALL TAXPAYERS IN THE CITY OF EDMONTON.

after a night on this... I dont care about WHAT happened BUT DO care about WHAT HAPPENS. There is no excuse to not save this building. Retain the walls, rebuild. At the very very least, rip it down and rebuild it with the same brick (even though much of it was replaced only a few years ago) and either add a tower on top or create a building that can be used for other viable purposes.

WE CANNOT LET THIS ONE LEAVE US AS WELL!
    www.decl.org

I keep thinking what would the singh families reaction be if a neighbor had a fire and failed to rebuild in their respective neighborhoods ?
    Perhaps a crack house or grow op

mind you, the entire concept of this building WRT suite size and layout was flawed. Most units were 900-1200sqft if i recall which was going to put the avg. price in the 450-500,000 range for a B or even C class location.
    I wouldn't call it a B or C class location. A or B. It's one block from your place Ian, no?

Agree though, prices would have been too high.

We can only hope he sells it to a respectable developer.

^correct... but there are few views unless you get up 12-15 floors, little greenspace adjacent to it, and not a very friendly streetscape in front of it. I would say B- then where as my condo might be B+ or A-.
    www.decl.org

cause what? Your condo is close to what greenspace? Gravel parking lots not included?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I keep thinking what would the singh families reaction be if a neighbor had a fire and failed to rebuild in their respective neighborhoods ?
    Perhaps a crack house or grow op
    Grow-ops are old hat. Meth labs are all the rage now.

cause what? Your condo is close to what greenspace? Gravel parking lots not included?
    many units have river valley views, heritage promenade, mckay avenue park.
    www.decl.org

I'm pretty sure a 20-30 story tower would have the same views too in the Arlington location...

C2E SME

All I can say is that this property cannot be allowed to be wasted and the building still somehow has to be preserved.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'm pretty sure a 20-30 story tower would have the same views too in the Arlington location...
    perhaps... but lower floors would not have much of anything.
    www.decl.org

^ as the omega really has that much of a view from the lower floors? It's probably also noiser being right at the edge of the top of 105st hill...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    All I can say is that this property cannot be allowed to be wasted and the building still somehow has to be preserved.
    I suggest we protest... signs and all. I'm definitely down with that.

^ as the omega really has that much of a view from the lower floors? It's probably also noiser being right at the edge of the top of 105st hill...
    all units on the SE have river valley views...very nice ones.

SW units (like mine) has nice views of the treed BLVD and the fed.

anyways, back on topic
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Is there any way to salvage the bricks from the demolition, and base any future design on the original Arlington?

all units on the SE have river valley views...very nice ones.

SW units (like mine) has nice views of the treed BLVD and the fed.

anyways, back on topic
    I would have to say the location of Omega and the Arlington is essentially moot, with Omega having a slight edge.

Medwards has a point regarding the noise. The Omega will be noisier vs Arlington given its proximity to 105 Street.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Is there any way to salvage the bricks from the demolition, and base any future design on the original Arlington?
    Yes that is possible, it's just expensive to do.

I think it would be cheaper to buy bricks from China. Brick factories in China are like dairy farms in Saskatchewan, they are everywhere.

Hello Prince Rupert container port.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Yes that is possible, it's just expensive to do.
    yup.
    www.decl.org

grish

/\ wasn't that the plan after the original plan fell through?

CBC announced this morning that the Arlington will be demolished in 12 days (making it about 13 or 14 October). I'm encouraged to hear that the City will not allow the site to be used for parking, but is there any hope for something like a condo tower on this site in the near- to medium-future?

I don't want to get back into the Singh debate - we all know what we think of him. It's just that too often a building is demolished and the land sits empty...and empty...

I'm encouraged to hear that the City will not allow the site to be used for parking, but is there any hope for something like a condo tower on this site in the near- to medium-future? ...
    I'm still curious to find out how this lot will not be turned into a parking lot. Does the city just mean they will not approve a parking lot, and instead we will be left with an overgrown fenced off lot with hobos, boken beer bottles, and syringes?

cause thats sooo much better....But the vindictive part of me likes not allowing this tool to make a cent off parking.

So does anyone want to protest? I am all for it, and would encourage others who are interested to PM me and we can make some plans... also, if we can get all the news crews there, that might add to our case.

given the market i dont see anything proceeding in the next 6 months...maybe 12.

very sad
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

CBC announced this morning that the Arlington will be demolished in 12 days (making it about 13 or 14 October). I'm encouraged to hear that the City will not allow the site to be used for parking, but is there any hope for something like a condo tower on this site in the near- to medium-future?

I don't want to get back into the Singh debate - we all know what we think of him. It's just that too often a building is demolished and the land sits empty...and empty...
    i know we "don't want to get back into the Singh debate" - and i have always tried to limit my comments to the specifics of the arlington - but i found it a bit grating to hear him on cbc this morning talking about how - if i can paraphrase - "it will take public money to save heritage structures like this because they are otherwise uneconomical" when it was in fact public money that did "save it" in the first place. it isn't the public's fault that our investment now seems to have been "under-insured" after it was accepted by mr. singh.

^ I missed that interview - which is just as well because my blood pressure would have soared. What a piece of work...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast