Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The All Purpose Thread

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default The All Purpose Thread

Ever have those moments during the day when a question pops in your head and you are dying to know the answer?

Or something kind of bugs you but it's not really a rant?

Or you want to tell the whole world about an insignificant aspect of your life?

Welcome to the All Purpose Thread.....

Why is it when someone with an accent sings, they don't have that accent anymore?

Paul McCartney and Elton John have British accents but when they sing they lose the accent.

Why?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I'm not a linguist, but depending on the singer and the song, accents definitely can come across in song. Look no further than Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, the Verve and other brit rock bands.

Many British singers and groups of the '60s were influenced by the blues, which originated in the southern US, specifically among blacks. I always assumed that's why the British singers (not to mention non-southern white Americans) attempted to sing with that accent.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Maybe it has something to do with the diaphragm or whether the person sings through his nose?

It's not just a British phenomenon. Listen to Celine Dion.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Why is it when someone with an accent sings, they don't have that accent anymore?
    This question has plagued me since I can remember, yet a good answer remains elusive.

Why are wieners and beans called wieners and beans?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^ Great idea!

Why is it that people who have speech impediments do not stutter when they sing for example Mel Tillis.

I've always assumed they sang without English accents for commercial reasons - the American audience would be more accepting of them. At least, that's what it was at first. Now, they've done it so long that's just the way they sing.

But I could be wrong.

Maybe it has something to do with the diaphragm or whether the person sings through his nose?

Do I have to ?
    I want to know why does a Volkswagen definitely float,but will not float indefinitely. BTW I know the Caramilk secret.
    Last edited by Barry N; 13-08-2008 at 02:36 PM.

What are those large red and white balls for on power lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    A few quick google searches yielded that the balls are there to alert low-flying aircraft, such as helicopters and airplanes, that there are utility lines to avoid.

Not sure why they are different colors. Maybe just to make it clear that they are artificial obsticles rather than natural features.
    Last edited by Barry N; 13-08-2008 at 02:45 PM.

I've always assumed they sang without English accents for commercial reasons - the American audience would be more accepting of them. At least, that's what it was at first. Now, they've done it so long that's just the way they sing.

But I could be wrong.
    Mrs Brown, you've got a lovely daughter.....
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    A few quick google searches yielded that the balls are there to alert low-flying aircraft, such as helicopters and airplanes, that there are utility lines to avoid.

Not sure why they are different colors. Maybe just to make it clear that they are artificial obsticles rather than natural features.
    Look at all aviation structures, painted red and white. The colors most noticeable...
    Onward and upward

C2E Continued Contributor

or ABBA
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Ah... but what about the people who GAIN a hokey "western" drawl as soon as they start singing a country music song!?

Do insects go to the "bathroom"???

Yes, but they forget to flush, filthy creatures....
    Onward and upward

But their most redeeming feature is they always put the lid down

Why is it that something that goes by ship is called a cargo, and something that goes by car is called a shipment?

cargo
    noun ( pl. -goes or -gos)
    goods carried on a ship, aircraft, or motor vehicle : transportation of bulk cargo | a cargo of oil.
    ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Spanish cargo, carga, from late Latin carricare, carcare ‘to load,’ from Latin carrus ‘wheeled vehicle.

shipment
    noun
    the action of shipping goods : logs waiting for shipment | shipments begin this month.
    • a quantity of goods shipped; a consignment : coal and oil shipments.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    ^ Great idea!

Why is it that people who have speech impediments do not stutter when they sing for example Mel Tillis.
    I believe that's because song is handled in a completely different region of the brain than speech. Some people who suffer either a stroke or dementia may become unable to speak or think coherently, but can still sing like birds.

Why do bats hang upside down?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    ^ Great idea!

I believe that's because song is handled in a completely different region of the brain than speech. Some people who suffer either a stroke or dementia may become unable to speak or think coherently, but can still sing like birds.

Why do bats hang upside down?
    cause the bottom of the cave is covered in bat guano??? seriously, i don't know... as long as you don't tell us it's to put their feet up after a hard nights work.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Because unlike most winged animals bats can not take off from the ground. They need momentum in order to start flying and dropping from where ever they are hanging works just fine.

I wish the city would hang bat boxes all over the city. you can never have enough bats.

Back on the subject of insects....

I noticed the past few years these oblong-shaped crawling insects. They are grayish, flat and have spiked hairs. They seem to like the darkness because I find them under the outside doormat and under the garbage can.

Whatever they are, they are ugly.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Why is it that something that goes by ship is called a cargo, and something that goes by car is called a shipment?
    for the same reason you park your car on your driveway but drive it on a parkway? probably with the same logic that keeps braille on drive though banking machines and interstate highways in hawaii....

I know the caramilk secret too

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    for the same reason you park your car on your driveway but drive it on a parkway? probably with the same logic that keeps braille on drive though banking machines and interstate highways in hawaii....
    Well, the banking machine is easy - the ATMs are probably built to standard specs. It would cost more to make two sets of buttons, so they all have braille.

But highways? Do you mean road signs?

What is a better overall product, a Plasma TV or a LCD TV?

Quote Originally Posted by vgcancino View Post
    I know the caramilk secret too
    That makes 2 of us.

Quote Originally Posted by vgcancino View Post
    What is a better overall product, a Plasma TV or a LCD TV?

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.ca/S-w...flatpanel.html
    Almost always open to debate...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Well, the banking machine is easy - the ATMs are probably built to standard specs. It would cost more to make two sets of buttons, so they all have braille.
    i know but they still make me smile.

But highways? Do you mean road signs?
    yes, road signs - and federal funding to go along with them as well i would think (which is probably the real purpose).

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/hawaii...igns-page2.htm

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Why did the British adopt left-lane driving while the rest of the world went with right-lane? As a former British dominion, why did Canada not follow the British left-lane driving?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Dunno, probably some really goofy bizzarre reason once you actually look at the history of it. That reminds me of the email I got, and while I can't verify it's truth, I found it hilarious. Basically it linked the dimensions and performance of the space shuttle with the width of a horse's *** in Roman times.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.asp

Apparently not entirely true. But amusing nonetheless.
    Last edited by raz0469; 14-08-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Why did the British adopt left-lane driving while the rest of the world went with right-lane? As a former British dominion, why did Canada not follow the British left-lane driving?
    A Brit once told me that it was Napoleon who set up the system where everyone in France drives on the right-hand side of the roads. Apparently it cleared up the traffic so nicely that the other nearby nations quickly followed suit, except the English - the English would be damned if they followed any idea that the French could come up with, so they drove on the left to spite them. True or not, it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't have any explanation as to why we chose to drive on the right side, though...

Why did the British adopt left-lane driving while the rest of the world went with right-lane?
    Australia, New Zealand, Barbados and several other countries also drive in the left lane.

Maybe because Australia, Barbados, and New Zealand were all under British colonial rule at the time the traffic laws were established?

Doesn't Japan also drive on the 'other side'??

Right hand drive is is like armed horsemanship and boating; to keep your sword arm free
    I cannot believe that we ALL didn't know this~~~~

Why do my homemade pita wraps keep falling apart?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Why do my homemade pita wraps keep falling apart?
    Try warming the pitas slightly before rolling up your wrap. In my experience, microwaving the wrap product (I usually use tortillas rather than pita bread) for about 15-30 seconds softens the bread slightly, so that it doesn't crack or crumble when rolling.
    Last edited by Darkwalker; 14-08-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammer
    Non semper erit aestas

^ I wasn't actually expecting an answer to that. C2E wins again! =)

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot! I don't like using tortillas as much, the texture of them is too dense, whereas pitas are lighter and softer, if that makes any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Doesn't Japan also drive on the 'other side'??
    It does, and interestingly I believe Norway is the only country with a land border crossing which also does.

What does the Sweden-Norway border crossing look like?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

OK, Here we go with two to start:
    Why does the CNIB building have interior lights?
    Why do very few parkades have spiral Up ramps ? (most are down only)

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    A Brit once told me that it was Napoleon who set up the system where everyone in France drives on the right-hand side of the roads. Apparently it cleared up the traffic so nicely that the other nearby nations quickly followed suit, except the English - the English would be damned if they followed any idea that the French could come up with, so they drove on the left to spite them. True or not, it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't have any explanation as to why we chose to drive on the right side, though...
    can't provide a source but always thought napolean's decree stemmed from the fact most people are right handed and would wield a sword on that side. horseback traffic that then approached from your left was considered to be less of a threat than if approaching from your right. as for the english, i don't know if driving on the left was less "not if you're french" as in "seeing we're always fighting with everyone, it would be a lot simpler to just approach from the right (on the left) all the time".

maybe we chose to drive on the right because we're more peaceful?

Ken per my post below:
    Right hand drive is is like armed horsemanship and boating; to keep your sword arm free

Paul McCartney and Elton John have British accents but when they sing they lose the accent.

Why?
    Good question.

I remember when the Beatles first came out. One of the things they were most known for (besides their "long" hair), was their Liverpudlian accents - considered very noticeable when they sang. You can sure hear it a lot more in their earlier stuff.

Some people, especially country music singers, gain an accent when they sing. Sometimes cool. Other times, ...

I think a lot of it has to do with the singer's influences, and who they listened to while learning to sing.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Ken per my post below:
    and i can't believe i missed (or forgot) your post... sorry

Where have all the Robins gone?
    They arrive in River City around the first of April, "Tweedle, Yodel and generally Chirp in" their territories, have their families then got the heck outa Dodge by Mid to late July....
    Where the heck did they go?

REGINA - The Canadian Pacific Railway Company is suing the Saskatchewan government for taxes it believes it's been wrongly paying - for the past 128 years.

A statement of claim filed in the Court of Queen's Bench in Regina this week alleges the company has been assessed some taxes from which it should be exempt, which breaches an 1880 contract.
    Statements of claim contain allegations that have not yet been proven in court.
    Follow trhe provided link for the complete story. Can you imagine what the dollar value must be? Yikes!

Link -> Saskatoon Star-Phoenix

Are there really 101 things you can do with a Kelloggs Corn Flake?
    Onward and upward

Where did the A&W Root Bear Go??????
    Onward and upward

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Where did the A&W Root Bear Go??????
    Heck with him, whatever happened to Mayor McCheese?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

What happened to Earl Morgan?

Newfangled's post "2008.08.15 City Mouse, Country Mouse" (cattle shots) makes me wonder, why do cattle always stand and stare at you like that? Especially at night...it can be eerie
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

What happened to Earl Morgan?

You mean EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeearl Morgan...dunno
    Onward and upward

OK, Here we go with two to start:
    Why does the CNIB building have interior lights?
    Why do very few parkades have spiral Up ramps ? (most are down only)
    Um, there are many people who work at the CNIB who are not visually impaired ...

And when you're entering a parkade, you're trying to find a parking spot so you want to drive by them, not up a ramp ... when you're leaving, you likely want to get out of there as fast as possible, so it's quicker to drive down a spiral ramp. Also, not all parkades have enough room for two driving lanes in between the rows of parking spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonfan View Post
    ....why do cattle always stand and stare at you like that? Especially at night...it can be eerie
    Cattle are dumb. They really don't stare at you, they look through you. There is absolutely nothing in their skulls.

Nod to Gary Larson
    A group of cows are standing up on the hind legs in a field. One of them shouts "CAR!" and they all drop to all fours. After the car goes past they get back up on their hind legs again

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quark...images/cow.gif

Nod to Gary Larson
    A group of cows are standing up on the hind legs in a field. One of them shouts "CAR!" and they all drop to all fours. After the car goes past they get back up on their hind legs again

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quark...images/cow.gif
    ^ YES, this is my favourite of Larson's stuff.

This thread needs more usage. I still see a couple of useless thread topics popping up everyday.

What is the best way to get rid of ant hills by being environmental-friendly?

Gasoline and a match?

Oh shoot, you said environmentally friendly and not "fun". My bad.

Boiling water.

Who lives in the big new brick (I think) house that you can see to the south, up on the hill, when you're travelling on Fox Drive? To be more specific, if you are at the lights to turn into Fort Edm and you look up to the south, you can see it ... it's driving me crazy because I want to know who built such a massive house. (I'm quite sure it's not the Katzs' -- theirs is on Valleyview Drive, I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Boiling water.
    But heating water to a boil uses energy.

Dang!

This thread needs more usage. I still see a couple of useless thread topics popping up everyday.

Build high-rise ant homes on the premise that density is better for the environment. Government should subsidise the construction or give some kind of tax concession to the developers as part of a Community Vibrancy Implementation Framework Agreement. The the same floor plan should be used for all units to save money and defeat materialism.

Pay relocation costs and compensation for all the ants. As the prospect of developing new ant hills is impossible due to the legislated green belt around the city, demand predictably skyrockets. Introduce rent controls for the ants, or just charged a fixed proportion of their income to help them cope. Watch the first generation struggle with the displacement and from working two jobs to save enough to take trips to Los Vegas as an escape from the towers. Watch the second generation grow up watching TV inside the ant apartments, shiftless, lacking ambition. Social problems develop. Juvenile ants coalesce into gangs that are in a constant low level battle for control of the constricted space. Demand construction of subsidized recreation centres to distract them from creating mayhem.

Remaining ants with any sizeable income move to a hill out in the country beyond the green belt where they reclaim their lives, paying $2000 for a fancy stereo to lessen the boredom on their 1 hour & 15 minute commute each day, each way, through the ecological green belt to work as public planners for the city.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Damn them commuter ants anyhow!

First One is Always Free

lux, I LOVe your post! Totally made me chuckle. You must work in government.

do i sense a bit of "China" satire in there? sounds a lot like it.

The best comedy is the unintentional kind

BEIJING - Cuba's Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend he be banned for life.

''We didn't expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur,'' said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. ''I am at a loss for words.''

The best comedy is the unintentional kind

BEIJING - Cuba's Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend he be banned for life.

''We didn't expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur,'' said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. ''I am at a loss for words.''
    that was pretty insane! i searched for a video of this and cant find any. all i get is still frames from the incident. no live action video.
    if anyone finds it please post it here

You have to go to the CBC website because they are the broadcast rights holders for the Olympics.

From now on whenever someone posts an absurd comment or story I'm going to say " World Taekwondo Federation!":

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ondemand/...eoId=830136885

damn if only his ref was Mic Mgoo ehh....

lmao anyone else remember how hated that guy was for a while. i went to the next game he was reffing and even though it was against Carolina who stole our cup, the fans were only booing Mgoo

(no clue how to spell his name btw)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Why is it that just about every British musician named Michael uses the stage name "Mick"?

You have to go to the CBC website because they are the broadcast rights holders for the Olympics.

From now on whenever someone posts an absurd comment or story I'm going to say " World Taekwondo Federation!":

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ondemand/...eoId=830136885
    Holy frickin Jebus!!! thanks for posting it!!!!!
    WTF (World TWD Federation) indeed!!! LOL!
    cheers
    Hippo

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Why is that Wimpy (from Popeye) always insisted on paying for his hamburgers on a Tuesday?

Why does Canada Post ask for your city, province and country after you've given them your postal code

Eh? Ehh?? Ehhh???

Why are there terrorist and shooting video games at the airport?

Why are there terrorist and shooting video games at the airport?
    Relieve tension?

grish

anyone tried google docs? that thing seems like a great idea.

Where have all the Robins gone?
    They arrive in River City around the first of April, "Tweedle, Yodel and generally Chirp in" their territories, have their families then got the heck outa Dodge by Mid to late July....
    Where the heck did they go?
    I think they came to my yard. I have a fountain that's the local swimming hole for birds. I see up to three at a time there.

You'll think all newspepers would have an election-related photo on the front page today. But the Edmonton Sun is up to their old tricks. On the front page of today's paper is a picture of Britney Spears.

Doesn't Graham Hicks know Britney is a bad role model for teen girls?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Su-Ling Goh (health reporter on Global News) has an engagement ring on her finger. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    anyone tried google docs? that thing seems like a great idea.
    yup. I love gmail/google apps. will be even more handy once I get my iphone

Su-Ling Goh (health reporter on Global News) has an engagement ring on her finger. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.
    that makes two of us

Noooooo!!!!
    Now I have to return that diamond engagement ring I bought from Spence Diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

when i was a child i thought they were candy big candy

he province estimates that every one dollar rise in oil prices over a year bumps revenues up $123 million, while a 10-cent drop in natural gas prices reduces Alberta’s take by $104 million.
    http://edmontonsun.com/Business/News...2/1936215.html

if that is true.. when the price was around $60 for oil

where is all this money going? why haven't we got some in are pockets yet?

what are we at now since oil has been so high

Do you remember luvhockey?

Yeah, and I remember the many incarnations of "Dakine" (who started as HATeSedmonton"...

I remember luvhockey was famous for starting dozens of threads, some not pertaining to Edmonton issues, on these boards.

I remember luvhockey was famous for starting dozens of threads, some not pertaining to Edmonton issues, on these boards.
    Yeah, he was. Things that make you go hum...

Partially Addicted to C2E

As others have already posted:

British left-hand driving: historically, it was to keep your sword arm (right arm) facing oncomers.

American right-hand driving: this came about because of two influences:

a) The very early 1700's wagons had no benches, requiring the wagon leader to sit on one of the towing horses. The drivers would commonly sit on the left towing horse so he could use his right arm to lead the two horses by the reins.

b) This perpetuated into a hardware design decision: early American wagon builders made the wagon handbrakes on the left side of the bench. With the driver then seated to the left of the bench, it was more intuitive to keep the wagon to the right side of the road.

More details:
    http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Where does Canadian money get created? Not by the mint...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74362583451279
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

I was thinking today that In about ten years time, this site is gonna be like a living history of probably one of the most important decades for Edmonton. can you imagine coming back and re-reading some of this stuff. it will be pretty neat and im glad that this site exists.

what keeps that teflon no stick stuff sticking to the pan??
    Love Your Freedom?
    Thank a Vet

^ gravity obviously
    Last edited by richardW; 23-11-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling(only two words? yes i know)

Quote Originally Posted by reservoircat View Post
    As others have already posted:

British left-hand driving: historically, it was to keep your sword arm (right arm) facing oncomers.

American right-hand driving: this came about because of two influences:

a) The very early 1700's wagons had no benches, requiring the wagon leader to sit on one of the towing horses. The drivers would commonly sit on the left towing horse so he could use his right arm to lead the two horses by the reins.

b) This perpetuated into a hardware design decision: early American wagon builders made the wagon handbrakes on the left side of the bench. With the driver then seated to the left of the bench, it was more intuitive to keep the wagon to the right side of the road.

More details:
    http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html
    I don't know about the American right-hand driving thing, but your explanation of British left-hand driving comes pretty close to what I was told.

In medieval jousting constests, the lance would be carried in the horseman's right hand, the stronger limb in most people. So the left-hand lane, as it were, would be taken. I haven't seen any stats for left-handed jousters, but I guess their win-loss ratios would be pretty poor.

When you're trying to inch your way out of a parking lot, why do pedestrians cross in front of you when you're trying to go forward, and why do they cross behind you when you're trying to back up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast