Thread: "What Vacation packages would you like to see Edmonton Market?"

Default "What Vacation packages would you like to see Edmonton Market?"

In an effort to keep another thread from straying off topic I thought I would start this one.

Edmonton is a great place that we need to make more people around the world aware of so...

"What Vacation packages would you like to see Edmonton Market?" and where/who would you see it marketed to?

1) As Heritage Tourism is on the rise (Business Edge and Venture as well as other associated business trades) heres one to start...

Experience Western Canada's history in its most Northern City

Arrive in Edmonton staying at the Classic Hotel MacDonald over looking Edmonton's River Valley.

Day One: Tour Fort Edmonton Park, experience the growth of the West from the River boat and first fort to the steam age and arrival of the automobile.

Fort Edmonton is one of Canada's premier heritage parks allowing you to walk through and experience history.

Day Two:

From your hotel travel through time to the Alberta Aviation Museum, experience all that has happened from one of Canada's most important Aviation Cities. From Edmonton's Knights of the sky in WW1, Pioneering aviation figures of the 20's and 30's to the Heros of WW2 you can see feel and touch the history in the last Double Wide Double long BCATP hangar.

Spend some time viewing the restoration area, see what its like to fly a jet fighter on the flight simulators and see the only operational Jet Airline in a Canadian Museum.

The Alberta Aviation Museum is Canada's third largest collection.

Leaving time for a downtown shopping and walking tour of Edmonton

Day Three:

A short trip from Downtown Edmonton through the scenic Edmonton region and you will visit Alberta's world class museum of Transportation, The Reynolds Alberta Museum "Spirit of the Machine".

From the early days of Western farming to the Drive Ins of the 50's live the world we have created that came before today. While here, visit Canada's aviation hall of fame, maybe go for a ride on one of the vintage vehicles operating in the summer months.

Day Four, Five, Six

Feel Edmonton's Power as you jump into the world of today with a three day package to the "Edmonton Indy". International class open wheel racing in the latest technology cars. Speeds that exceed 200km per hour on Canada's only airport circut, with operating aircraft in the background.

In the evening the excitment continues at Edmonton's CapitalX, an exciting exhibition of music, features, rides and much more.

From the creation of the West to the blistering high technology of today a vacation package that allows you and your family to truly experience...

"Edmonton Power"

Targeted to European audiences, biased to the British Isles.

Secondary market, Eastern South eastern United States

Hows that for a thought to start.

Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 11-08-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Arts Packages

Great idea Thomas...let's see what kinds of super promotions we can brainstorm.

I find it hard to believe that (to date) we have done very little in the way of packaging and promoting the arts to national/international visitors.

I would love to see 'Fringe packages' created and marketed in arts friendly cities - include hotel, Fringe programs and tickets, a day at another attraction (e.g. Fort Edmonton, RAM, Elk Island, whatever). In addition, we should be partnering with other Fringe cities to have a trip to our Fringe be the top prize for their fundraising raffle. People would buy! And the winner would come to North America's biggest and best Fringe.

Throughout the winter season, we should also be offering 'arts weekends' tied in with big productions at the Citadel, special programs at the RAM or AGA (with guaranteed and timed tickets), and including a production at one of our smaller theatres. Fly in on a Friday. Catch a show at the Varscona (or the Roxy or the Third Space...). Include a matinee or evening at the Citadel and work with some of our lovely restaurants to include a meal. These could be marketed in cities close enough to fly from for a weekend - heck, I've gone as far as Quebec City for an art exhibit on a weekend or Toronto for theatre - surely like minded people in other cities travel for the arts too. I particularly was disappointed that we didn't market the world premiere of Vimy in this way.

I would love to see packages organised (including transportation and entries) to such out of town attractions like the Ukrainian Cultural Centre, the Devonian Gardens, Elk Island, etc. Throughout the summer, offer packages with transportation, entry and lunch. This would be great for people coming to the city who might not have vehicles or for seniors or others who would prefer not to drive. Even if these packages had to be subsidised somewhat, they would provide options to tourists and others that just aren't there right now.

Day, 3, 4,5 = Jasper Trip
    City of Champions

Jasper could be a wonderful option to the rest of the season

Tom

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KJ2007 View Post
    (...)

I would love to see packages organised (including transportation and entries) to such out of town attractions like the Ukrainian Cultural Centre, the Devonian Gardens, Elk Island, etc. Throughout the summer, offer packages with transportation, entry and lunch. This would be great for people coming to the city who might not have vehicles or for seniors or others who would prefer not to drive. Even if these packages had to be subsidised somewhat, they would provide options to tourists and others that just aren't there right now.
    To expand...

My idea has always been to play on Kananaskis "North" - except bigger. 729 km long in fact...and 30 km wide in areas.

AKA - Yellowhead TCH 16 from Lloydminster to Valemount (let's be serious, they're Albertains, read the Journal, watch CTV Edmonton).

Playing of the introduction that I had in my Wabamun idea, the whole 16 corridor allows for each and every community to get into the game and provide something different to the traveller.

The key here is one word - VIA (CN). The idea hinges upon VIA, or another company providing a "land cruise" option - whereupon the rail cars could be the traveling hotel for the guests. They are taken to a station in Lloyd, or Veg, or however the itinerary is worked out, and then left there overnight or for whatever time while the guests take in whatever attraction is there. So, you could have the Wabamun lake idea, Edson's outdoorsman stuff, Valemount for skiing and mountain hiking, Jasper for...well...Jasper, Hinton and Brule for other activities, Veg, the Ukrainian center, heck, you're only limited by your imagination. The nexus would be the VIA station on Bush Pilot Road where the traveler would intersect with the city wide and YEG accessible LRT system, even if it is a quick shuttle link to the nLRT line...(another reason why I want to see more than just vinyl sided subruban clap trap on a redeveloped YXD and would like to see the destination ideas that come up with the race and Thomas' education ideas...)

Make the train a bit of a destination as well. I have my ideas, but I'm trying to get in front of CN to let them know...

Anyway, that will assist with the driving aspect, and a complaint that our mountains are just too far away. You give the tourist a non-driving option, spots along the way, and a hotel on rails. Plus, it gets the whole area involved - and I mean Central Alberta...and it could be expanded out to GP and other areas.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Great idea Richard

How do we get it started?

Tom

I'd rather C2E than work!

It might be more interesting for these tours to come thru Edm and do a backwoods drive to the mountains via Drayton or Rockey and do the sask river crossing circuit to Jasper?

Great ideas Blueline...

We could package...

1) As Heritage Tourism is on the rise (Business Edge and Venture as well as other associated business trades) heres one to start...

Experience Western Canada's history in its most Northern City

Arrive in Edmonton staying at the Classic Hotel MacDonald over looking Edmonton's River Valley.

Day One: Tour Fort Edmonton Park, experience the growth of the West from the River boat and first fort to the steam age and arrival of the automobile.

Fort Edmonton is one of Canada's premier heritage parks allowing you to walk through and experience history.

Day Two:

From your hotel travel through time to the Alberta Aviation Museum, experience all that has happened from one of Canada's most important Aviation Cities. From Edmonton's Knights of the sky in WW1, Pioneering aviation figures of the 20's and 30's to the Heros of WW2 you can see feel and touch the history in the last Double Wide Double long BCATP hangar.

Spend some time viewing the restoration area, see what its like to fly a jet fighter on the flight simulators and see the only operational Jet Airline in a Canadian Museum.

The Alberta Aviation Museum is Canada's third largest collection.

That evening travel the North Saskatchewan river on the "River Boat Queen" stepping back to a time when waterways were the transportation system.

Days 3-4-5

A scenic travel tour through the unseen side of Alberta's beauty, arriving at Jasper to experience the wild majesty of Canada's Rocky Mountains.

If we can't market that there is something seriously wrong.

Tom

I also really like KJ2007 Arts/Culture tourism idea

But as I am closer to autistic than artistic and culturally limited I have no idea how it could be turned into a tourism opportunity.

Anybody got an idea?

Tom

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Great idea Richard

How do we get it started?

Tom

...have all the mayors and chambers along the area get over themselves and lobby VIA to play along...then develop the tourist spots all along the way.

Sounds simple, and if ego is put aside it is....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Continued Contributor

A little bit of bad news in my mind. The one pure wholesaler for tourism in Edmonton has "partnered" with Anderson Tours of Calgary. Anderson used to be based out of Edmonton before their move and now have taken over what was an attempt at marketing Edmonton and Jasper. Website just points you to the Anderson tours site which is very light on Edmonton product. Not to say Urban Insight was perfect but they tried to market the city with seemingly not a lot of good help from the local tourism industry. Unless you count WEM accommodation packages as unique.
    http://www.urbaninsight.ca/

Would be nice if one of our local travel agencies would step in and offer this service. (note - wholesalers sell packages to persons outside the region - which is a good thing)
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Love the ideas in this thread.

There could easily be both a Winter and Summer 'Sports Enthusiast' trip on this same route. Cross Country Skiing/hiking at Elk Island, Hockey/Baseball/Soccer/Football game in Edmonton, Rafting down the Pembina River at Entwhistle, Red-eye Softball tournament in Edson, Mountain biking/hiking/mountain climbing/whatever in Jasper.

And for the 'Alberta's History' tour mentioned above, don't forget about the Barr Museum in Lloydminster.

C2E SME

Another one day outing that would be great would be a one day trip to Elk Island Park, with stops at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and the Vegreville Pysanka. Of course, sausage lovers could stop at Mundare.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E

Great brain storming here. As an addition to the day at Wetaskiwin you could add take a ride in a bi- plane and drive a stock car at the speedway . Did both this summer, great experiences close to home.

C2E SME

For those into winter recreation, there are plenty of ski trails in Elk Island Park and the Blackfoot Lake Area.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'm surprised this article didn't manufacture some discussion around here. Naming the SouthCampus LRT to include Fort Edmonton Park before improving transit connections between the two is like putting the cart before the horse.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Fort+...910/story.html

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I'm surprised this article didn't manufacture some discussion around here. Naming the SouthCampus LRT to include Fort Edmonton Park before improving transit connections between the two is like putting the cart before the horse.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Fort+...910/story.html
    Wrong thread I think.

I don't know, man. There is a line in the article about tour operators avoiding Fort Edmonton as an attraction because of poor transit access. That seems to fit this thread a bit. The story doesn't deserve a new line of conversation and this was a good and productive discussion. The end of the summer season seems like a good time to talk about attractions and such.

Oilers packages. Target them at certain markets. For example, in Toronto its very hard to get a leafs ticket, so when Toronto is in town, target an Edmonton package, with hotel, perhaps some stuff to do on the town. Maybe Eskimos packages to, targetted more at small towns.

(note - will be easier for Oilers when the new arena is built).

Also, I'd do some culutre type packages, targetted at small towns. Say, a night or two at the theatre, opera, ESO, staying downtown and fine dining. No need to drive once in Edmonton.

Also, WEM packages (will be easier from downtown once LRT is built).

Fringe packages including a general entry ticket to all the shows. Package to include hotel stay or a cheaper option of staying at a U of A residence. Coupons for restaurants that want to participate. A daily tour or two to Edmonton/near Edmonton attraction included with the package. A zip line going over the river would also be a nice touch.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

AJS
    There is a line in the article about tour operators avoiding Fort Edmonton as an attraction because of poor transit access.
    I'm in the middle of working with an operator to set up a Provincial Tour program for marketing in Europe.

Tours don't use transit for a number of reasons
    - Control
    - Timing
    - Flexibility
    - Customer satisfaction on an organized tour

I am advised the biggie is control.

Just thought I'd pass that on

Tom