Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never Built - what could have been | Fantasy/Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Never Built - what could have been | Fantasy/Proposed

Updated for another site so i pasted it here as well. Please feel free to add. I am for sure missing:

2 images of Eaton centre - we got the podium, but only 1 little delta

Fidelity - was to be home to peter pocklington

one of my fav's - eagle's nest

more concept but cool

one on the left "century 2" - Where Icon I and II are going now.

top 2/3 of this didnt make the cut

Hampton house - would have liked to see this one go with art deco

-----------------------------

please add for i am missing at a minimum:

-manu 2
    -commerce 2
    -hotel on SEC 99st/jasper
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

we sure dodged a bullet with centuryII.

manu 2

www.decl.org

canterra on whyte - truly a shame this didnt go

www.decl.org

Some of them old office tower concepts are kinda ugly.

I like this one the best:
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Eaton Centre at full build out shares similarities, although in a dated style, with the Stationlands concept at full build out. That's not to say they are the same, I realize the business models are different.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Some of them old office tower concepts are kinda ugly.

I like this one the best:
    isn't that the urbia without the cloud?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Partially Addicted to C2E

OMG I'd be the proudest citizen if half of these went through! Grr...

http://www.mccauley.info/Media/Multimedia/Boyle-McCauley%20N ews%20Nov%202005.pdf
    New art gallery sparks memories of OMNIPLEX
    GARRY SPOTOWSKI
    The recent competition to rebuild the Edmonton Art Gallery spurred a couple Edmonton
    Journal letter writers to compare the grandiosity of the plan with that of the Omniplex.
    Younger readers of the Journal, and even a few older ones, probably didn’t have a clue what
    the writers were referring to. But had the Omniplex actually been built, the Boyle McCauley
    area – Edmonton for that matter - would have a totally different look.
    The Omniplex was a gargantuan building proposed in the late 60s to “revitalize” the downtown
    core. It combined features of the Commonwealth Stadium, the Edmonton Coliseum,
    the Shaw Convention Centre, and the Winspear Concert Hall – all under one roof. It’s likely
    none of those major structures would have been built had the Omniplex been approved. It
    was to be located roughly where the Law Courts building and the main Post Office are now.
    Perhaps the most spectacular feature of the Omniplex was a floating or raisable football field
    that could be elevated to uncover the hockey facility below. The ceiling of the hockey rink
    would be the elevated floor of the football stadium.
    As its name implies, the Omniplex would have it all: 100,000 square feet of convention space
    with seating for up to 25,000 delegates; a 3400 seat cultural theatre; movie theatres; an LRT
    station; a 32,000 seat football stadium, a 12,000 seat ice arena and much more.
    It was such a major proposal that it went to Edmonton voters twice. Once in 1968 when they
    were asked if the City should seriously consider looking at it, which voters agreed to, and
    again in 1970 when they were asked in a plebiscite if Council should borrow the $26 million
    to build it, which – momentously - they did not agree to. The rest is history.
    For the record, I can remember sitting at the kitchen table when my dad came home after
    voting. He had voted no. “Not enough parking,” he said.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E SME

I think two things that hold Edmonton back are regrets over bad decisions from the past, and the fear over our future (actually a fear of success). I think, this decade, that we're learning from our mistakes, and that we're moving ahead. If we keep doing the little things right, the big things will follow.

I'd rather C2E than work!

SDM and Ken C
    I believe that rendering is what Scotia place started out as.
    Could be mistaken

It does look very similar to Scotia Place but it's on the wrong lot.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I really like the second tower built up on Commerce Place over top of the old CIBC. It's really cool how they have included the old building into the new. Very cool indeed!!!

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a rendering of Commerce II. I really would like to see that one happen at some point still.

Also, I had to laugh at that one city hall pyramid proposal.

Welcome to Tyrell Corporation.

Someone needs to get the pics of the original residential plan for the CN lands...those were super fun!

I'm not sure why a picture of Founder's Ridge was posted...if only to be funny :P
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

After looking at the tower that was supposed to go on top of the new Sobey's downtown, I sure wish they had gone ahead with that. The residential units on top sure look nice. Oh well, I'm pretty ecstatic with the actual end result. It's already a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    I'm not sure why a picture of Founder's Ridge was posted...if only to be funny :P
    You mean "Flounder's Ridge?"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The Canterra on Whyte is my all-time favourite City of Edmonton gaffe. Instead of a ultra modern upscale hotel on the corner of the busiest and coolest street in the city, we have .... wait for it ... a thrift store. A thrift store! Thats not a mistake, we really have a thrift store there.

This happened around the end of 2004, I think and I still cant get over it. I believe Bill Smith was the mayor then and I remember being so mad that I had decided right then that I would vote for anyone in the next civic election it didn't matter what they were about. Now obviously we cant blame only Mr. Smith for this stupid decision but he lost my vote right there.

It still bothers me every single time I drive by and sometimes when I'm at Muriettas outside for a smoke I look over there and start swearing. I'm sure more than a few people have walked by thinking that I was totally nuts.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a rendering of Commerce II. I really would like to see that one happen at some point still.
    I doubt it will ever happen, despite it being attractive and well-designed. That whole development was an Olympia & York project (First Canadian Place in Toronto, World Financial Centre, New York, Canary Wharf, London). The first tower was just being finished when O&Y went out of business, and at that point Edmonton didn't really need any more office towers - this one was built mainly because the Alberta government had guaranteed a certain occupancy in the tower.

As well, CIBC undertook extensive renovations and upgrades to the old building on Jasper and 101st, including a new (and to me unharmonious) extension to the west a few years ago. Unfortunately, I think that second tower (which was to be 31 storeys, I think) is dead.
    Almost always open to debate...

^ I figured as much. I can daydream, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizza View Post
    The Canterra on Whyte is my all-time favourite City of Edmonton gaffe. Instead of a ultra modern upscale hotel on the corner of the busiest and coolest street in the city, we have .... wait for it ... a thrift store. A thrift store! Thats not a mistake, we really have a thrift store there.

This happened around the end of 2004, I think and I still cant get over it. I believe Bill Smith was the mayor then and I remember being so mad that I had decided right then that I would vote for anyone in the next civic election it didn't matter what they were about. Now obviously we cant blame only Mr. Smith for this stupid decision but he lost my vote right there.

It still bothers me every single time I drive by and sometimes when I'm at Muriettas outside for a smoke I look over there and start swearing. I'm sure more than a few people have walked by thinking that I was totally nuts.
    I couldn't agree with you more! That was a travesty, turning that beautiful project down. I wonder if there's any way we can get Canterra to try again. There's a slightly different mindset these days, and attractive structures like this are so very needed along Whyte.

I too cringe when I go by this site. Nothing against the Salvation Army, but this isn't a great location for a thrift store.

david, don't you like the "guess who designed somethng with beige bricks and pollished or buffed metal" of the CIBC connector?

^ I know...it was Cohos Evamy...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    SDM and Ken C
    I believe that rendering is what Scotia place started out as.
    Could be mistaken
    don't think so - isn't that mcdougall church in the foreground on the left above the chateux lacombe parking and the south agt/telus tower on the right? that would put this on what is now the college site...

I was thinking of the preliminary (pre"cost to build") design of the building only (not location)

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizza View Post

I couldn't agree with you more! That was a travesty, turning that beautiful project down. I wonder if there's any way we can get Canterra to try again. There's a slightly different mindset these days, and attractive structures like this are so very needed along Whyte.

I too cringe when I go by this site. Nothing against the Salvation Army, but this isn't a great location for a thrift store.
    Some more images of the project:

Credit: Barry Johns Architecture Ltd.
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Here is the original concept for the old Strand Theater Building on 103 and Jasper. Unfortunately they only finished the first two stories. This was torn down in the late 70's. At the time the interior was taken apart and put in storage in the old O'Keefe brewery by the Kinsmen Field House but I'm not sure if the pieces are still there.
    http://archivesphotos.edmonton.ca/de...2188&language=

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I was thinking of the preliminary (pre"cost to build") design of the building only (not location)
    No, what is in this thread is not related to Scotia Place. You can find the original concepts of Scotia in some of the EDE newsletters from the early 80s.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

When I see those additional renderings of the Canterra hotel project I almost want to cry. What a beautiful addition it would have made to the City, not just the south side or Whyte. Truly a major mistake. I'd love to see Canterra try again, or put this somewhere else.

^whyte needs more cool hotels...places for visitors and citizens alike to get away
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    When I see those additional renderings of the Canterra hotel project I almost want to cry. What a beautiful addition it would have made to the City, not just the south side or Whyte. Truly a major mistake. I'd love to see Canterra try again, or put this somewhere else.
    Anyone know the reasoning behind turning it down?

^ask garneau residents
    www.decl.org

ie

height
    noise
    shadows
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^...yet there is so much [email protected] built next to this site!
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

I'd like to see the Canterra proposal on Whyte Ave east of Gateway Blvd, preferably at Sun Toyota's used car lot.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If it were to be built, why not put Canterra downtown? IMO We need highrises downtown far more than we need them on Whyte Ave. I might change my mind if LRT runs just next to Whyte some day though

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    If it were to be built, why not put Canterra downtown? IMO We need highrises downtown far more than we need them on Whyte Ave. I might change my mind if LRT runs just next to Whyte some day though
    nothing wrong with downtown for something like this but this was/is a market not competitive with downtown and that downtown does not serve nearly as well. it is close to the university hospital and the cross cancer clinic and the mazankowski heart institute and the new diabetes institute etc. and was intended as a short to medium stay hotel much like the canterra suites on jasper at 110th. with the safeway across the street and other amenities in the immediate vicinity it would have been a good fit. it wasn't much taller than other stuff on the south side of 82 nowhere near as tall as college plaza on the north side just a few blocks further west.

[QUOTE=kcantor;97033]
    . it is close to the university hospital and the cross cancer clinic and the mazankowski heart institute and the new diabetes institute etc. and was intended as a short to medium stay hotel much like the canterra suites on jasper at 110th. .
    We stayed at Canterra suites when we first arrived in Edmonton, it was very good. I guess it would be very useful to have something like this in walking distance to the UofA / hospital (although the existing Canterra is as well I guess, by Corona station). The concern with whyte istelf I am guessing, is that it is already a bit of a traffic mess, and there are not many ways to address those issues (unlike downtown), but the devil is in the details.

[QUOTE=moahunter;97080]
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    . it is close to the university hospital and the cross cancer clinic and the mazankowski heart institute and the new diabetes institute etc. and was intended as a short to medium stay hotel much like the canterra suites on jasper at 110th. .
    We stayed at Canterra suites when we first arrived in Edmonton, it was very good. I guess it would be very useful to have something like this in walking distance to the UofA / hospital (although the existing Canterra is as well I guess, by Corona station). The concern with whyte istelf I am guessing, is that it is already a bit of a traffic mess, and there are not many ways to address those issues (unlike downtown), but the devil is in the details.
    traffic mess?

i like to call it traffic greatness

i dont know why we think "traffic" is a bad thing...

NYC, downtown Van, St.Catherine's are all "traffic messes"
    www.decl.org

Great thread!!!

Are there any pictures of the Omniplex out there? ... and the Space Sciences Centre (I seem to remember quite a different design initially being approved). I also remember seeing some interesting early downtown design proposals (50 - 100 yr old stuff)

Also, has anyone searched the City Archives online collection for such 'proposed' designs? I know it's an incredible resource for Edmonton photos.

^if you go to milner with a camera you can find almost everything "not built"
    www.decl.org

The Omniplex was already posted in this thread (see the last 2 pics):
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...08&postcount=9

premature?

www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

probably not...

Addicted to C2E

The Royal Alberta Museum proposed an observation tower as part of their original plans - residents opposed it and it never was put forward. I tried to find a pic of it but no luck... anyone? anyone?

Addicted to C2E

Ian, the fifth one down from the top, the big commie block was actually built as either the Edmonton House or the Chateau Lacombe (I think the CL)

Man just looking at this thread amazing what we missed out on, some I'm glad didn't happen, like the older ones, as they have crappy street life and would have deteriorated our downtown further - but Canterra - come on!
    ----

How the Eaton's towers were never built.

HOW TO FOOL CITY COUNCIL AND THE PUBLIC:
    EDMONTON'S EATON CENTRE by Christopher Leo

excerpt:
    Triple Five's approach to dealings with the city was the time-honoured bait-and-switch tactic. It involved making an irresistible offer to obtain a massive commitment and then using local politicians' commitment to keep them on-side, even as the more attractive features of the original offer were withdrawn, and its price increased. The key decisions concerning the Eaton Centre development were taken during two rounds of negotiations, the first taking place in 1980 and the second in 1985-86.

In the 1980 negotiations, Triple Five Corporation, in partnership with T Eaton Co Ltd of Toronto, announced plans for a massive, $500 m residential and commercial development consisting of an Eaton's department store, a 31,500-square-metre shopping mall, three office towers of 39 to 40 storeys and two residential towers of 51 and 52 storeys, with 1,236 one- and two-bedroom rental or condominium units.

Full analysis
    http://blog.uwinnipeg.ca/Christopher...ool_cit_1.html
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Mmm, a few minor points he gets wrong in there. The City was hardly limiting the amount of suburban mall development long before WEM showed up. Furthermore, he doesn't even consider the disruption caused by the LRT construction on Jasper Avenue and the oil crash of 1986.

Furthermore, I have never seen evidence for the 102nd street Mall cutting through the Eaton's development. That was a rather interesting tidbit.
    Last edited by MylesC; 15-03-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but just notice that Eaton's had proposals for Towers like this in major cities across Canada. Toronto included, not built.

I wish I could find a similar book for Edmonton http://books.google.ca/books?id=6h_y...page&q&f=false
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    probably not...
    Is it possible to get it removed from Google Earth? Much as I would like it to be there, it isn't in our city and is misleading...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

Looking at this thread, I hope that a couple projects that were supposed to happen start soon or they will have to be added to this list. One in particular that I'm having less and less faith in weather they are going to start or not is the Aurora project. Now that NLRT has started construction, this would be the perfect time to get things underway with Aurora and to promote it as having an LRT station practically at their doorstep.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

On msn.com today. I wasn't born yet but sounds like the omniplex would have put us on the map in the early 70's. I think they should have described how the omniplex worked in the article.

http://www.slate.com/id/2286746/?gt11=38001

www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^
    Looks like Saskatchewan flags on there

Quote Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
    ^
    Looks like Saskatchewan flags on there

Almost. It was probably meant to be generic "event" flags. The tower right beside it is definitely the CN Tower though.

I still wish this had been built (at least from what I can see from this elevation)... given what is now proposed.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...mptonHouse.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Thought I would bump this up for fun.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well the way things are looking Aurora for now can be on that list. I really would like to see that whole parcel of land filled.

^me as well, but many others before it.

There are still 3-4 gaping holes in the urban fabric of downtown that need to be addressed.
    www.decl.org

Approved rezonings over the last few years (DC), but unbuilt (at this point):

- Founder's Ridge (98 ave & 105 st)
    - Opus (98 ave & 104 st)
    - Abbey Lane (97 ave & 104 st)
    - Wasnea Tower (97 ave & 106 st)
    - Bellamy Hill Tower (98 ave & Bellamy Hill)
    - Rossdale Green (south of 97 ave & 105 St)

This is just in the McKay Ave-ish area. There are other sites downtown as well in process or proposed.
    www.decl.org

- Ironwood tower (102ave/103st)
    - VPI's quarters mid-rise (Jasper 96st)
    www.decl.org

That big development in Strathhearn (can't remember the name) as well.

I forgot to add the Arlington condo project as well
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

it's hilarious.......Edmonton continues to be a city of what could have been.....what should have been.....meanwhile Calgary is an example of what is and what will be.

What's more hilarious is trolls like yourself who don't realize that success is measured in different ways...Obviously, you think the only way to measure success is by gleaming new office towers.

Addicted to C2E

Well I'm glad you think the city has been successful ...... there are probably many more like you....and that's why the city is in the state that it is in..... because people actually think this is success.....and that ...is the true shame !

Troll on Troll, troll on.

Oscar

Read his byline, "The city of indecisiveness"

It sort of make his comments disingenious...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    it's hilarious.......Edmonton continues to be a city of what could have been.....what should have been.....meanwhile Calgary is an example of what is and what will be.
    Totally totally agree. Cgy has surpassed Edm by many many miles...will be very difficult for Edm to be in the same league as Cgy when it comes to downtown development....too bad for Edm...just standing and watching from sidelines

Ha, Calgary has many more unbuilt projects than we have. Sure they may have developed more projects over the past decade but don't fool yourselves as they have a lot in the 'unbuilt' vault.

ChrisD;

If Calgary had 50 proposed projects and only built 20 and if Edmonton had 25 proposed projects and only built 10, they are still 10 built projects ahead of us.

^My point is that ALL cities have many unbuilt projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonkee View Post
    Totally totally agree. Cgy has surpassed Edm by many many miles...will be very difficult for Edm to be in the same league as Cgy when it comes to downtown development....too bad for Edm...just standing and watching from sidelines
    Shonkee ... You have such a hard on for Calgary. Who really cares? You need to get a life.

When it comes to comparing Edmonton and Calgary the ONLY important comparison is that we have 5 Stanley Cups and you have 1.

Over and out.

^ Yeah, you really told him off. What a lame retort. Quit feeding the trolls, people.

^Chill out jagoff. I was hardly being serious.

C2E SME

my solution to trolls is placing them on ignore. =)

Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Addicted to C2E

Typical Edmontonian, when you don't like what you here, stick your head in the sand and scream for government help instead of rolling up our sleeves and getting it done. Great attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Great attitude.
    Pot meet kettle
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Keep debate constructive guys, even if we have differing opinions.

As mentioned, every city has a series of unbuilt. Yes we need to create an environment to have fewer of these relegated to that category, and yes Calgary has done a good job at moving more of their projects forward for a variety of reasons.
    www.decl.org

Should we put Strathearn Heights on here now? The last thing on their website regarding the redevelopment is a newsletter from 2007.

Last I had heard they were looking for partners or to sell off portions.
    www.decl.org

I recall reading an article in the Journal in the very early '90s regarding the demise of Edmonton's corporate scence. Part of that editorial stated, Husky moved it's h quarter to Calgary because they couldn't develope the tower they wanted here. Was there a rendering for that? I'm curious about that one now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Approved rezonings over the last few years (DC), but unbuilt (at this point):

- Founder's Ridge (98 ave & 105 st)
    - Opus (98 ave & 104 st)
    - Abbey Lane (97 ave & 104 st)
    - Wasnea Tower (97 ave & 106 st)
    - Bellamy Hill Tower (98 ave & Bellamy Hill)
    - Rossdale Green (south of 97 ave & 105 St)

This is just in the McKay Ave-ish area. There are other sites downtown as well in process or proposed.

those list shouldn't have been approved at all, if they don't have desire to built one.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I recall reading an article in the Journal in the very early '90s regarding the demise of Edmonton's corporate scence. Part of that editorial stated, Husky moved it's h quarter to Calgary because they couldn't develope the tower they wanted here. Was there a rendering for that? I'm curious about that one now.
    I believe what the were referring to was the Calgary Tower (that somewhat tall concrete needle tower that used to be higher than all the other buildings in Calgary). The time that the wanted to build it was in the 1960's, they couldn't build it here so they built it in Calgary. It would have probably been too tall for Edmonton due to the Municipal Airport anyway.

The biggest reason for the demise of Edmonton's corporate scene was Peter Loughheed who was the best mayor Calgary ever had. It was his mission to make Calgary a corporate centre in western Canada and he di what he could to make it so.

/\

That's not entirely true. If you dig through the mists of time a bit deeper you'll find the first movement of the oil and gas industry to Calgary was the establishment of the government offices in Calgary since the gas industry was focused on Turney Valley. It was basically a political bone thrown at Calgary by the Social Credit....they simply didn't realize the eventual ramifications.

Lougheed really didn't have that much to do with the shift of offices from Edmonton to Calgary. By the time the PCs came into power in the 71 sweep the stage had already been set. Edmonton's own self-righteous attitude and constant bungling in the 70s and 80s did more than enough damange on its own.

As the to the Husky Tower I've heard the rumours that it was supposed to be in Edmonton for years and years but have never been able to dig up a shred of documented evidence. I had one person report that an article was in the Edmonton Journal but I unfortunately never located such an article.

True or not, it does demonstrate that the overlay over downtown Edmonton was a big problem. Corporations who wanted to exert their dominance through ostentatious architecture couldn't go tall in Edmonton. Done deal.

I would even go further to this with the Klein dynasty. He and their civic leaders had a vission with this agenda; once their infrastructure were put into place, Klein entered the provincial realm and heavily favored Calgary over Edmonton during his tenure which still remains today- although not as strong as the past. Mandel in office resembles this movement for Edmonton. My gut intuition says it's slowly reversing back to our city- somwhat like the boom and bust cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I would even go further to this with the Klein dynasty. He and their civic leaders had a vission with this agenda; once their infrastructure were put into place, Klein entered the provincial realm and heavily favored Calgary over Edmonton during his tenure which still remains today- although not as strong as the past. Mandel in office resembles this movement for Edmonton. My gut intuition says it's slowly reversing back to our city- somwhat like the boom and bust cycle.
    Certainly Klein was very anti-Edmonton, which didn't help.

However, once again, the economic stage was already set. Calgary did a fantastic job responding to the oil crash of '83, hosting the Olympics, and aggressively marketing itself throughout the 90s. Edmonton....not so much.

But that's really a topic for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    /\

That's not entirely true. If you dig through the mists of time a bit deeper you'll find the first movement of the oil and gas industry to Calgary was the establishment of the government offices in Calgary since the gas industry was focused on Turney Valley. It was basically a political bone thrown at Calgary by the Social Credit....they simply didn't realize the eventual ramifications.

Lougheed really didn't have that much to do with the shift of offices from Edmonton to Calgary. By the time the PCs came into power in the 71 sweep the stage had already been set. Edmonton's own self-righteous attitude and constant bungling in the 70s and 80s did more than enough damange on its own.

As the to the Husky Tower I've heard the rumours that it was supposed to be in Edmonton for years and years but have never been able to dig up a shred of documented evidence. I had one person report that an article was in the Edmonton Journal but I unfortunately never located such an article.

True or not, it does demonstrate that the overlay over downtown Edmonton was a big problem. Corporations who wanted to exert their dominance through ostentatious architecture couldn't go tall in Edmonton. Done deal.
    I've also heard the reasoning behind the Social Credit locating the government offices that related to the oil and gas industry was that they felt that Calgary would have become too much of a second city to Edmonton if growth trends of the day were to continue without the province doing something to balance growth.

Peter Lougheed publicly stated his goals and there is no doubt in mind that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent by the province to attract head offices to Calgary.

^^ Never doubted you MyleC. Just added to your point of their strategies. Hopefully with Mandels' momentum, future civic and business leaders will continue our recent legacy. Infact, Im hoping Mandel will enter provincial politics afterwads.

C2E SME

^Actually if Mandel is to stay in politics I would rather he stay in municipal. I think unfortunately if we were to have the buildings that we have lost and have the buildings that we could have had, the downtown would look significantly different now.

^I definitely would hope for that. I would not mine him staying another term to help further cement Edmonton's 'proactive-can do' attitude. Perhaps things will get developed with better odds in our future. However, he has hinted he is uncertain; and if he decides no more civic politics, then I hope, provincial would be his next vission.

No idea what the original images are, but came across them on instagram, they show a map of the downtown area with proposals/never built (ex, commerce II is shown) quality is poor:

http://instagram.com/p/SoWfkxDReS/

http://instagram.com/p/SoWSsFjReG/

Commerce 2 and Manu 2 would have done so much for establishing critical mass in the core of the core... lets hope we eventually get one.
    www.decl.org

First I've ever heard of the Old Towne Market.

C2E SME

Old towne market could have been quite interesting. I have some old pictures of the proposal buried in a box somewhere, When I find them I'll post them up.

Hotel Mac from the original DC2

Last edited by IanO; 30-11-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    www.decl.org

Jebus this thread is scary.
    www.decl.org

This is the one image to keep in mind if we end up LOSING the beautiful park on Jasper/100st.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...icture7-12.png)
    www.decl.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast