Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,236 of 1236

Thread: The Quarters | Neighbourhood Revitalization | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Trannies don't plant their own flower beds ?

SACRE BLEU !
    Most transgender people find that word to be a pejorative, you probably shouldn't use it.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post

Most transgender people find that word to be a pejorative, you probably shouldn't use it.
    Political Correctness is not on Top_Dawg's radar.

Though he may identify as gender fluid, seeing as he is a Dawg.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post

Political Correctness is not on Top_Dawg's radar.

Though he may identify as gender fluid, seeing as he is a Dawg.
    People who say they "hate political correctness" are really people who just think political corectness should have stopped where it was when they were young. These people simultaneously claim political correctness is BS but won't say the N word because that word is "actually offensive." They just feel like their line in the sand is the correct one without realizing how far that line had moved before they were born.

Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners

(George Carlin)

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

(George Carlin)
    This is not the place to have this discussion, but dealing in absolutes like that is ridiculous. You really think there are no words that are offensive? You really think it's okay to make "gay" an insult or "re*ard" a pejorative? To reduce someone's entire being into something into something so awful that it's insulting to call someone else that? If that's the case then I guess I'm a fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

(George Carlin)
    I suppose those who enjoy casually calling other people names probably neither care or comprehend how offensive it is to others, yet ironically they seem to be the first to be offended when others take offense to them or their behavior.

I think calling it political correctness may be just a way for them to rationalize poor manners or a lack of care or concern for others.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    At over $292,000 per unit these buildings sure seem expensive.
    Supportive living probably means there are common areas and offices, which add to the cost.

Judging by the responses here though, not everyone cares about the homeless.
    I would imagine that they would include common areas. You could build a 2,000 square foot house with that kind of money (at cost).

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Trannies don't plant their own flower beds ?

SACRE BLEU !
    Top_Dawg ... now, now, I think that somebody needs to strap something on and slap you around just a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Reserve your judgement towards SW Edmonton and other neighborhoods not contributing to solving this issue - Boyle/McCauley is at over 60% of the housing stock being non-market - I live there and my next door neighbor is supportive living for abused women and transgender people - I happen to shovel their sidewalks and plant their flower beds, thank you very much. Then kitty corner to me are 2 large facilities for elderly first nations. Homelessness is an Edmonton problem, not an inner-city problem. Putting more of the same and expecting "revitalization" to catch on is a pipe dream and an abuse of taxpayer dollars.
    Quoted For Truth.

There is nothing more authentic than the words of a person who lives in the neighbourhood. The ignorant will attack you and try to shame you for speaking the truth, but you know better because you live it. Daily.

I'd be willing to bet a Large Double Double that your attackers have a vested interest in silencing you because they don't want that social housing coming to...

Their. Back. Yard.
    ˙
    ...From this ragged handful of tents and cabins one day will rise a city...

189323110-017
    31-Mar-2017
    9521 - 103A AVENUE NW
    Plan 1524883 Blk 9 Lot 18A

To construct the FOOTING and FOUNDATION only for a new 5 Storey, 97 sleeping unit, Group Home building

CLARK BUILDERS, DARCY

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Oh yay. A group home for 97 people? I wouldn love to know how this place is going to operate. Could be great. Could be absolutely awful. .
    Last edited by etownboarder; 21-04-2017 at 12:09 AM.

This dumping ground attitude behind the building of community housing projects in Boyle Street -- which is championed by many posters here -- could go sour in the way that the Metro Housing (TCHC) in Toronto has:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...8806/?page=all

A few more projects like these and we'll reach the point where we can say goodbye to any reasonable expectation of balance in the community.

Too bad.
    ˙

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Oh yay. A group home for 97 people? I wouldn love to know how this place is going to operate. Could be great. Could be absolutely awful. .

"...on-site staff will provide health-care services, bathing and personal care, meals, and recreational and social programming for residents.... The facility will replace two of the society’s older housing projects in the area, one of which will be demolished and turned into a park as part of the neighbourhood’s redevelopment..."

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...n-the-quarters

or just refer to the previous page...

The project itself sounds fine, but things like this need to be spread out across more neighborhoods around the city to ensure success. Concentrating them in Boyle-McCaulay area is creating a huge problem that makes the entire city suffer. There is no excuse to pile them all in one place - there is an abundance of affordable land around Edmonton.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post

"...on-site staff will provide health-care services, bathing and personal care, meals, and recreational and social programming for residents.... The facility will replace two of the society’s older housing projects in the area, one of which will be demolished and turned into a park as part of the neighbourhood’s redevelopment..."

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...n-the-quarters

or just refer to the previous page...
    Thanks but not quite what I meant. I work in mental health and am in the process of pursuing further education in the field. I am curious about the fine details. It could be amazing if done one way, and terrible if done another. I don't know much about the organization so will do some research.

Oh yay. A group home for 97 people? I wouldn love to know how this place is going to operate. Could be great. Could be absolutely awful.
    If it's set up using the Gibson Block/Woman's Shelter template it won't be good. The tenants could be targeted as victims by an opportunistic criminal element. Or the group running the facility.

Or it could be like the Salvation Army shelter over on 103A Ave and 93rd Street: I was walking through the neighbourhood with my sister a few years back and a tenant from the building began making highly inappropriate physical comments to/about my sister. When we ignored him he wandered down the street and got into a shouting match with folks sitting on their balcony overlooking the street. The guy was obviously afflicted with mental health issues but the fact that he targeted a woman in the company of a healthy male, and didn't possess the filters to control the types of things he said makes me wonder what he might have done had it been dark and my sister was alone.

There is another guy (the local kids called him Tourettes Man) and he used to wander from Downtown to Millwoods while carrying on a running argument with himself and the dialogue seemed to be on roughly a 30 second loop. Apart from his using the F-Bombs he was harmless, albeit his route took him by a children's playground in Forest Heights and his antics would creep out the mothers who had their kids at the park on play dates.
    ˙

C2E SME

I think the new shelter would be better than the Gibson Block that I worry about decaying.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

So there's a new crane up on 103A ave between 95 and 96 St, (closer to 95). I haven't heard of any development there on this board. Anybody know what the dealio is?

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ I saw the crane as well on the Capital line to Southgate just before the train entered in to the tunnel by the bottle depot.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Supportive housing south of Boyle Renaissance.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    So there's a new crane up on 103A ave between 95 and 96 St, (closer to 95). I haven't heard of any development there on this board. Anybody know what the dealio is?
    From Post# 1210

189323110-017
    31-Mar-2017
    9521 - 103A AVENUE NW
    Plan 1524883 Blk 9 Lot 18A

To construct the FOOTING and FOUNDATION only for a new 5 Storey, 97 sleeping unit, Group Home building

CLARK BUILDERS, DARCY

yes, of course. thank you. I always think that 103a ave is 104 ave, that's my confusion.

Oh right, I forgot about this. I think I know what's coming next beside this: A safe injection site.

5 Storey, 97 sleeping unit. Is that like 25 beds a floor ignoring the first floor? I guess my confusion is the word "unit". Anyone with insight on the actual programming of that space?

I know the organization a little bit. I expect that they will be similar to nursing home rooms, maybe some with common bathrooms, not private, depending on specific security or care needs. The residents eat in a common dining room, and have varying levels of care, supervision and freedom depending on their needs in the various facilities that they operate now, I presume that the same would continue in the new facility, since it's mostly replacing existing spaces.

Their current "main" facility in the area is in poor shape and I'm sure will be demolished - it's the one south across 103A ave from police headquarters.
    There can only be one.

Thank you. Sounds like it will be a step up and is a vital community support.

Join us on June 6th for a night to chat about the future of the Quarters and how to get more investment/activity going in the area.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-futu...tm_term=attend
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Join us on June 6th for a night to chat about the future of the Quarters and how to get more investment/activity going in the area.

Well,selling tickets to an event on investment in the Quarters, is a step in the right direction. The proceeds wont bring in a lot of investment, however.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Well,selling tickets to an event on investment in the Quarters, is a step in the right direction. The proceeds wont bring in a lot of investment, however.
    the tickets are free, it's more about knowing and managing attendance...

unfortunately i have a ticket but may not be able to avoid not using it and having to attend a condo board meeting...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Reminder - Quarters event tomorrow night! Please join us.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-futu...28484?aff=eac2
    www.decl.org

Looking forward to hosting and moderating tonight. If anything, join us for the talk and stay for the most beautiful 2nd floor lounge overlooking the river valley and city with the best furniture I have seen of late. Modern Teak.

Free tickets:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-futu...28484?aff=eac2
    www.decl.org

What a great evening at the beautiful new Hyatt Place Edmonton lounge (please go experience it) to discuss The Quarters. Community, respect, investment and people are what is needed.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg
    Last edited by IanO; 06-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    www.decl.org

Along with a half dozen safe injection sites apparently.

Great night, packed lounge at the Hyatt (awesome patio btw). We spoke about what has occurred since 2006, quick wins, halfway through the CRL, 70mil in UG work, 'nothing about us without us', who the key stakeholders are (ie. existing community), who potential partners are, crime stats, perception versus reality, parking lots, family friendly housing, Alldritt impact, 95st/jasper hole, barriers and opportunities etc.

I want to do another one of these this fall.
    www.decl.org

Excellent to hear
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213