Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton International Airport (YEG) Terminal Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by aviationphoto
    No actually, right next to central hall between gates 49 and gate 50. The plans to build on the west side of the field are dropped. The best description is outside the window behind Second Cup in Central Hall.

They will build a pedway from the new observation deck above Harveys, across the hold room to a new observation area, retail, gates, food and hopefully new front reception to the EAA.

The building will be close to the same height as the old one. My initial impression, each floor may not be as large (ft2). A new tower cab will be installed.

Loooooong over due. I know there are sentiments towards the old tower but as a daily work building, it has to go imo.
    Interesting. So will that mean the pedway links straight to the new new same-height observation deck, while both upstairs and down will have offices? If so, I think that would be very cool, actually.

Would it be physically detached from Central Hall?

Re: the old tower,
    Is it really impossible to find other uses for it? Like a hotel or something? I think it could be re-skinned like the TD tower downtown.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    I have never liked the old tower. Never ever ever. Cold and fugly.
    GPWM - very ugly, when they pull it down the airport approach will look much nicer.

The old tower (and the rest of the old terminal building) is one of the finest examples of the International Style in Edmonton, if not, the finest. I'm surprised it has lasted until now, as Edmonton has a history of bulldozing beautiful design classics.

The problem with the old terminal is the trashy 80s and 90s additions and interior design "updates".

I remember the airport used to have these great stylized light posts in the parking lot, but they've since been replaced by something of a more Wonder-bread vernacular.

First One is Always Free

Why build the "hammerhead" first? Will it be operational before the connecting concourse is built? If so, how will people get from the main concourse to the... (snicker)... "hammerhead"? By bus?

Why not build the concourse first, then the "hammerhead"? This would allow passengers to, well, you know, walk to the "hammerhead"...indoors.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by madsad
    Why build the "hammerhead" first? Will it be operational before the connecting concourse is built? If so, how will people get from the main concourse to the... (snicker)... "hammerhead"? By bus?

Why not build the concourse first, then the "hammerhead"? This would allow passengers to, well, you know, walk to the "hammerhead"...indoors.
    You lose gates when building the concourse first. The airport is already short on gates.
    By building the hammer head first, it will allow for at least the same number of available gates until full construction is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    I have never liked the old tower. Never ever ever. Cold and fugly.
    GPWM - very ugly, when they pull it down the airport approach will look much nicer.
    I like the old tower I hope it stays. Besides how are they going to pull it down without shutting down the departure concourse.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco
    I like the old tower I hope it stays. Besides how are they going to pull it down without shutting down the departure concourse.
    Wow, really surprised how many people like that architectural eye-sore.

It's still possible to demolish a structure without having to shut everything down, but it would be much, much more expensive.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

LOL, but out there on the bald prairie, it screams - this way to the airport!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

No, it screams this way to the bus deopt.

It is a big, rectangular box. How exciting!!!!!

As for those "unique" lamp posts, they were Wonder-bread vernacular when they were put up. They screamed "welcome to 1962". Wow, back when the "space age" = Sputnik.

Yes, I know I'm harsh on this one, but I never ever found anyone in the entire time I knew that old terminal to call it wonderful. It was functional. The coolest thing (although impractical) were the PTV machines they used for awhile.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

How soon you think the old tower's going to go and a new control tower set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco

It's still possible to demolish a structure without having to shut everything down, but it would be much, much more expensive.
    I know everything is possible for a price but what price? They can not close the departure concourse for more than a few hours every night so it will be a problem.

Addicted to C2E

well, its an airport - and people come to the city for the first time is going to think the tower is an ugly and outdated. They are not going to say, "hmmm, what a nice example of 1960's international style, I love Edmonton!"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Amen!

If they made the expansion very energy efficient - they might even be able to lower fees. :-)

Please use lots of insulation! Less north facing glass wall.

Addicted to C2E

Default Airport Expansion

Can anyone say when work will start on the expansion (terminal and hotel)? Its already mid april and not even a shovel has been put in the ground. Is the 2008 start date still on schedule?
    FYI - this is from EAA website,
    "An additional 13 bridges will be built on the south side of the terminal, boosting the total number of bridges to 30 from the current 17.
    Phase 1 (completion date 2010): 253,000
    square metres of new apron space to
    accommodate new south terminal
    development.
    Phase 2 (completition date 2010): A new
    "hammerhead" located south of the
    current airport terminal.
    Phase 3 (completion date 2012): A new concourse linking the existing south terminal
    with the "hammerhead."

A 192-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel will also begin construction in 2008. The costs for this project will be borne by the developer, Concord Hospitality Enterprises Company, and is not part of the $1 billion airport expansion."

Partially Addicted to C2E

I know PLH tank farm construction should start within the week. Just waiting to get that nasty frost out of the ground. Yesterday should have helped! I had lunch with a gentleman who is working on the apron expansion and he is finishing up a fuel system project in Calgary. He will be out in the next week or so.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I think the number of rooms in the hotel has also increased... at least I'm sure someone mentioned that in the thread about the airport hotel.

For hotel update see post #47 in this thread:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=3486

My understanding is that apron expansion will begin ASAP and that we will not see work on the hammer head until very late this year (when sufficient apron work has been completed).

Apron expansion started last fall. A portion closest to runway 12-30 began. That has to be finished to provide overnight parking when the construction area is under full swing. A significant step before the concrete is the fuel hydrant line which will loop around the new extension. We should see and hear more when the construction is underway. The primary objective would be to start the hammerhead and the overnight parking pad. The rest can be done "whenever".

Smile edmonton international airport expansion

this is expansion plans taken from Edmonton international airport website

New expansions and capital funding details to be released

Edmonton, Alta. – Edmonton Airports invites news, business and travel media to attend “a new day” at Edmonton International Airport (EIA) on May 8, 2008. “A new day” at EIA celebrates the launch of a new brand for EIA and new details about the $1.1-billion expansion project.

Date: Thursday, May 8, 2008

Events/Photo Opportunities:

12:30 p.m. –EIA President and CEO Reg Milley launches the new brand for airport employees. Photo op: Balloon foosball with airport staff to promote teamwork. Location: North Terminal, Departures Level.

1:15 p.m. – Firefly acrobatic performance suspended from the Central Hall ceiling. Location: Central Hall, Departures Level. Festival entertainers and musical performances throughout the day (sponsored by Edmonton Tourism).

1:30 p.m. – Photo op: Formal unveiling of new brand by Milley and media availability session. Media interested in the photo op should meet at Harvey’s at 1:20 p.m. Media availability with President and other executives available between 1:45 p.m. and 2:15 p.m. Annual reports, media kits, including new artist conceptions of the expansion, available.

Media are also invited to attend Edmonton Airports’ annual general meeting, scheduled for May 8 beginning at 6 p.m. at EIA.

To RSVP, please call Jim Rudolph, Edmonton Airports, at (780) 890-8454. Parking vouchers provided for working media.

VERY IMPORTANT GO TO THIS LINK AND SEE THE PICTURES FROM EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS NEWLY UPDATED EXPANSION PART

http://corporate.edmontonairports.co..._redevelopment AND

http://corporate.edmontonairports.co..._photo_gallery

Finnaly YEG shows major improvement

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Super Addict

It's too bad that the first thing people will still see when they leave arrivals & walk out the doors is a parkade.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    It's too bad that the first thing people will still see when they leave arrivals & walk out the doors is a parkade.
    Why? It's no different from most other airports I've been to.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ My thoughts exactly. And I have to say that the parkade at EIA is attractive, not like those in many other cities.
    Almost always open to debate...

Default Edmonton airport set for $1.1B expansion

Edmonton airport set for $1.1B expansion

edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 12:01 pm May 8th 2008

EDMONTON - Financing has been arranged for a $1.1-billion expansion program at the International Airport, Edmonton Airports announced today.
    The five-year expansion involves $70 million in work that is completed or underway, including a 1,000-stall parkade expansion and additional aircraft parking space.

Construction starts late this year on a new south concourse that will add 13 passenger gates to the existing 17 gates. Additional aircraft parking space, systems upgrades and other work are planned.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...e-5d3bd036f697

Hopefully ERAA doesn't just expect the media to capture their news release and they actually send to all the major news sources. It is not every day that airports announce 1billion dollar expansions.

Default airport parking

I've often thought extending the LRT to the airport would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the airport derives a HUGE amount of non-aviation revenue from parking. Needless to say, they are not going to actively push for the LRT. Although it makes sense to help combat energy consumption and "greenhouse emisssions" , never mind the convienence of NOT having to park at the airport, DOLLARS overide SENSE!

my bet is that they would love to off load the responsibility, liability and logistics of the parking lot period. Wouldn't you love to dedicate your space 100% of your core business
    Think of how many more planes you land and handle if this space was available

Nice update on the logo and website 10x make that 100X better!

Default parking

I've tried to access financial data from ERAA but the link is no longer there?
    We may all be suprised just how much money 8,000 parking stalls generate in a day!! ( rough numbers, @ 80% capacity, cause they have to expand!!, at a very low $15.00 per day, works out to $120,000 PER DAY, or $43.8 million per year) If it were in my control, I wouldn't want to let it go.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Why? It's no different from most other airports I've been to.

Firstly, so do you want us to be the same as others? Do you think it should have/could have been different? A constructive response would have been appreciated! I've been to a few airports where the parkade is off to the side, not directly in front & thought it was a much better way to be welcomed to the city...just my opinion.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I think it all looks good but wish they would have done something more with the YEG YES slogan that I saw on a billboard out at the airport. Sioux City's code is SUX and they had some fun with it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Travel/story?id=3760286

Why not do something similar with YEG? When I'm checking in at another city coming home I usually tell them I'm going to YEG rather than saying Edmonton.
    It's not EIA it's YEG

I like thhat their flight destination map shows....Amsterdam. Hmmmmmmm is that an accident??

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I think Martinair flies to Amsterdam from Edmonton during the summer but somebody said they discontinued it?
    It's not EIA it's YEG

Firstly, so do you want us to be the same as others? Do you think it should have/could have been different? A constructive response would have been appreciated! I've been to a few airports where the parkade is off to the side, not directly in front & thought it was a much better way to be welcomed to the city...just my opinion.
    Well, to be more constructive, what would you rather see there? And would that really make so much of a difference to make parking somewhat less accessible?

AMS has been droped by MartinAir.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
    Nice update on the logo and website 10x make that 100X better!
    I agree. I think the website looks sharp.

They did a good job.

The French version doesn't look sharp - looks pretty rough en français, actually, and the information doesn't even correspond...
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Addicted to C2E

im gonna miss the old logo
    Mike

i can't remember the old logo.

....wait...there we go...google images... yup. i remember; that was a good logo.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Saw the new website before I went to the unveiling of the new brand with a friend of mine. I love the new website, the music in the video is very catchy, and I really like the streaming throughout the video. Makes you want to go away somewhere.

Love the new logo and EIA "look" . I really like the logo on the big main windows as you arrive at the airport. Gives you something to look at, very well done. With all the new banners in Central Hall, it gives the airport a new and younger look. It adds a lot of vibrancy to the airport. The staff and management must be very pleased with the out come. The design company they used should be very pleased with themselves, it looks great!!!

grish

Thumbs down coverage of airport rebranding and expansion in the Edmonton Journal

Was there any? I saw front page (on line that is) story in the Sun, but could find absolutely nothing in the journal. Was I not looking where I was supposed to look? Is $1.1 billion expansion and rebranding of EDMONTON International Airport not worth a story in the EDMONTON Journal?

The Sun, by the way gets my thumbs up with the exception of all those Sun readers who think that the money is better spent eliminating the improvement fee and building more parking.

Front page of Business Section. Page D01

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...7-aafcd182ebb7

Airport changes ready for takeoff

Five-year plan includes $1.1-billion drive to bring Edmonton facility into modern age

David Finlayson, The Edmonton Journal

Published: 1:31 am
    EDMONTON - Edmonton Airports promises to move you.
    From the parkade, through the terminal and to the plane as quickly as possible.
    The international airport's new brand "EIA: We'll Move You" was launched Thursday with a video, acrobats, blue T-shirts for staff and CEO Reg Milley promising a fresh commitment to customer service.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

grish

ok then... good to see, except that I was looking on the front page, then the city section... I guess the issue is resolved then. Yey Journal (Y) I guess...

I guess there was no conspiracy stories here.... time to move on
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by lux View Post
    i can't remember the old logo.

....wait...there we go...google images... yup. i remember; that was a good logo.
    Thats actually exactly what I had to do, before i started looking back on the "good old days"

everything else looks/ sounds great
    Mike

Have to love the Sun question of the day.....

What would you spend the $1.1B on at the airport, one answer is "getting rid of the improvement fee" how 'kin stupid are they.....

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

L

C

D

Need I say more?

grish

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I guess there was no conspiracy stories here.... time to move on
    no, i never propose any, I am just a part of some...

I still think it is very disappointing that this remained a local news release and was not broadcast more.

Is there some reason they didn't put offical releases out to the newswires?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I thought they did put this one out to the wires...

Didn't see anything except from the Journal and the Sun. No Reuters or an other major news release. Some how YWG has us beat at doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    Well, to be more constructive, what would you rather see there? And would that really make so much of a difference to make parking somewhat less accessible?
    I'd rather see an LRT station in between. Does that count?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
    AMS has been dropped by MartinAir.
    Both YEG and YYC were dropped by Martinair, unfortunately. Still, YYC has service to Amsterdam with Air Transat, and perhaps some other charter carriers (ZOOM, I think).

I know the YEG-AMS service was popular, so I'm surprised that AT didn't pick up the route. Lack of aircraft, perhaps?

Its only TS to AMS from YYC.

Some other charter and sched carriers have also stopped serving YYC this year also...

-My Travel drops YYC
    -No Korean air charters (Poor loads)
    -No ANA or JAL charters this year
    -Frontier airlines has dropped YYC
    -Condor drops YYC
    -Flyglobespan has reduced its YYC flights
    -Thomas cook has also cut a flight a week

^ Thanks for the update, chupa. I guess that puts matters into perspective.

But overall, I'm still surprised that YYC can support three daily flights to LHR, and two to Frankfurt, and these are using large aircraft. Not to mention the charters to both cities.

YYC supports three flights daily to LHR and two to Frankfurt - Calgary doesn't. The answer is connecting flights - and YYC is AC's prairie hub.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Sad...

It was also in the G&M Report on Business.

So all Canadian media? Two of them local? Did the ERAA hand feed these to the papers or put it out of the wires? Hopefully they did the latter.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Good to hear Jim.

The spots on Global's Morning news are good.

Overall, I'm hearing good feedback from people who took notice.

Just because YEG sends out news releases doesn't necessarily mean that all media entities will print them. The Toronto outlets, for example, likely received it and carefully filed it into the trash bin.

Default Expansion Questions.

soo, following the expansion in 2011 [i think], do you think there would be more possibilities of more airlines showing interest @ YEG? or is it just simply because there is too much air traffic and they need more space?

help, anyone?
    Oilers: Fall 4 Hall!

larger more functional airport means more potential for use which means higher PAX which means more interest in YEG.

not to mention that we desperately need more gates for peak times.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The expansion will give us breathing room.

As I understand it, the design capacity of the current north and south terminals is 7.5 million / year - a rate that we'll hit somtime in 2009.

The expansion, will increase design capacity to 9.5 million / year. That means more capacity for flights at peak times...i.e. mornings and early afternoons.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hopefully before the new expansion has been completed it will be evident that further expansion will be required.

That will be the case if growth continues at its present rate.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^realistically...8-10million passengers is a plateau for our market IMO....we wont see 10-15% grow from now on, but more stable 3-5%.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^realistically...8-10million passengers is a plateau for our market IMO....we wont see 10-15% grow from now on, but more stable 3-5%.
    For the next 20 years, I agree. If we are to become a metro of 1.5m in 30 years I would then expect us to push 10-12, mind you we'll probably use teleporters by then.

Having the appropriate facilities helps, however, the larger PAX numbers also speak volumes. Higher numbers catches the attention of carriers. And this is so important.

You can get on the wires though, and that is where ERAA didn't get it. If it is on the wires it hits more than just Toronto. I have worked in print media a long time believe me.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

C2E releases our monthly news release that way...and we've had interview requests from Boston and other places interested in our concept...

C2E Posting Power

JimR, Can you expand on all that earth moving that is occuring east of the terminal?? Is that part of the Port Alberta or something else. thanks

Addicted to C2E

its apron expansion - getting ready for the terminal expansion.

C2E Posting Power

Thanks Jasper. That's interesting because they sure are a long way from terminal - almost approaching Hwy. #2.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

They're still a way from QEII, it just looks close from the airport road.

Aprons, especially in the A380 world, are not small pieces of pavement.

This must almost double the amount of terminal apron space then, I was there yesterday and the earth works look massive...any schedule for completion of that stage?

are they doing the entire apron for the other termnial 1st so they can use it for staging, storage, and flight use?
    www.decl.org

You're seeing 55 football fields worth of apron being added. When you add thirteen gates, you need a lot of apron.

You're also seeing work on the new mega-lot, which will eventually have 4,000 stalls.

Aaaaaahhh, thanks Jim.

So the works closer to QEII are for the parking lot, not sure I ever saw a design with the parking lot included, is one on-line somewhere?

C2E Posting Power

Thanks Jim. Now where exactly will Port Alberta be located (if it ever goes ahead?)

Addicted to C2E

Jim can answer better than I can - Im sure, but I understand the bulk of port Albert will be in airlinks west, the area on the sw portion of the site. the other side of the south runway

Part of the problem is Edmonton is pretty much at the rim of the edge of the world, hubs work much better in the center (sort of the nature of the beast). Edmonton geographically only has Ft McMurray and Grand Prairie as large feeder cities into it.

Unless Fort McMurray grows to 100.000+ (and it may) we won't have the service that Calgary has. One thing you can do is try and NOT do a layover in Calgary or Toronto this artificially creates 4 pax for the layover city, but only 2 pax for Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Part of the problem is Edmonton is pretty much at the rim of the edge of the world, hubs work much better in the center (sort of the nature of the beast). Edmonton geographically only has Ft McMurray and Grand Prairie as large feeder cities into it.

Unless Fort McMurray grows to 100.000+ (and it may) we won't have the service that Calgary has. One thing you can do is try and NOT do a layover in Calgary or Toronto this artificially creates 4 pax for the layover city, but only 2 pax for Edmonton.

Fort Mac is expected to hit 100,000 in 5yrs or less...

They will have their own routes using the smaller jets.

Even now they have a flight to YYZ with AC.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Heh, depending on how you work the numbers, it might already be there. If you included all the camps and workers staying in hotels etc around the city, I bet it would be close.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The world is round...and there are opportunities...

Just - la la la la la - It goes around the world
    Just - la la la la la - It's all around the world
    Just - la la la la la - And everybody's singing
    La la la la la - And now the bells are ringing
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Exclamation Edmonton playing catchup fast

Edmonton playing catchup fast

More parking, easier passenger flow part of $1.1-billion expansion project at booming facility

David Finlayson, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 1:31 am 07July2008

Launching a $1.1 billion expansion amid chronic labour shortages and rising construction costs takes a special strategy, Edmonton Airports CEO Reg Milley says.

An alliance with contractors that guarantees them five years' work will help retain workers and push the project along more smoothly, he believes.

The authority put out a request for design proposals last month and is picking a project manager for the expansion that includes a new passenger concourse, adding 13 airplane gates to the current 17, new control tower and offices and more parking. Between 700 and 800 new parkade stalls will open soon.

Continue reading article: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a-fbd48c73b4bb

The reporter must be a commercial pilot in his spare time. Seems the delay "was due to ATC issues". Us Nav Canadians can never win .

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by airplane guy View Post
    I've tried to access financial data from ERAA but the link is no longer there?
    We may all be suprised just how much money 8,000 parking stalls generate in a day!! ( rough numbers, @ 80% capacity, cause they have to expand!!, at a very low $15.00 per day, works out to $120,000 PER DAY, or $43.8 million per year) If it were in my control, I wouldn't want to let it go.
    not sure about eraa's numbers but... if you have "free" land and it cost 75,000 per stall to build a parkade and you amortize that over 25 years at 8% interest, it will take $20.91 per day for you just to get your money back - not to get any income and you also have to manage and operate the facility so at $15.00 per day you are atually subsidizing the cost of that stall for the person using it. financially, eraa would probably be better off not just encouraging but subsidizing lrt to the airport. lrt, like parking and shuttle buses and limousines and taxis would be a service convenience to the travelling public as opposed to a lost revenue source for eraa who will make more money long-term through rising passenger counts than they will ever get from parking.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

ASide:
    Ken, any success to report on the Qualico-industrial land leases and building front at EA?

Default 1,000 new parking stalls at airport

1,000 new parking stalls at airport
    Dave Finlayson, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 12:11 pm

EDMONTON - A thousand new parkade stalls opened at the Edmonton International Airport today in an expansion that was fast-tracked to meet growing demand.

The $47-million project, which provides more parking on all four levels, also includes a relocated toll plaza to help drivers exit more quickly and safely, Edmonton Airports CEO Reg Milley said.

"We are committed to moving customers quickly and efficiently through the airport. Even prior to this expansion, EIA offered travellers the most airport parking spaces per capita in Canada."

Customers can pre-pay for parkade and Value Park at Pay & Go kiosks in the airport terminal and leave the lot via one of five new express exits.

The project, on time and on budget, is part of a five-year, $1.1-billion airport terminal expansion to accommodate record passenger growth.

More than six million passengers moved through the airport last year, while another four million people were on site to see them off or welcome them, Milley said. Traffic is up seven per cent this year.

Story found at: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-a2554cae71e0

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    1,000 new parking stalls at airport
    Dave Finlayson, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 12:11 pm

EDMONTON - A thousand new parkade stalls opened at the Edmonton International Airport today in an expansion that was fast-tracked to meet growing demand.

The $47-million project, which provides more parking on all four levels, also includes a relocated toll plaza to help drivers exit more quickly and safely, Edmonton Airports CEO Reg Milley said.

"We are committed to moving customers quickly and efficiently through the airport. Even prior to this expansion, EIA offered travellers the most airport parking spaces per capita in Canada."

Customers can pre-pay for parkade and Value Park at Pay & Go kiosks in the airport terminal and leave the lot via one of five new express exits.

The project, on time and on budget, is part of a five-year, $1.1-billion airport terminal expansion to accommodate record passenger growth.

More than six million passengers moved through the airport last year, while another four million people were on site to see them off or welcome them, Milley said. Traffic is up seven per cent this year.

Story found at: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...0-a2554cae71e0
    yeepee!
    will this mean a reduction in the daily rates? $20 a day is a major ripoff.
    well, one can only dream...

^nope and have you been to other major airports? Ours is on par or cheaper.
    www.decl.org

i think calgary is $35 a day?

i suppose.
    the 2 airports i travel to lots in the US, about 7-10 times a year: IAH Houston(parkade): $15 a day. LASvegas(parkade): $12 a day.
    I guess our EIA is more elite than those 2 , so i'll assume its justified, espeacilly when YYC is $35!!.... wow!

$35 to park your car at the airport? Blah, that's expensive. That's just another reason why the LRT out to EIA is needed.

^or bus in the mean time. Mind you...there are options like the airport shuttle or taxi.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    i suppose.
    the 2 airports i travel to lots in the US, about 7-10 times a year: IAH Houston(parkade): $15 a day. LASvegas(parkade): $12 a day.
    I guess our EIA is more elite than those 2 , so i'll assume its justified, espeacilly when YYC is $35!!.... wow!
    I don't know what the construction costs are in those other places but $47mil to build 1000 stalls is $47,000 each. That would take 6.5 years to pay it off if it was full every day. Then you have maintenance costs and overhead like lighting, labour and interest on the money. I don't see how they can make money on this.

I think $47K per stall is fairly normal isn't it?

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast