Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Alberta

Last edited by Gemini; 11-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^I had a read of that. They have done some research and plan on doing some more over the 12 months from September last year:

Next Steps
    Activities for Port Alberta over the next 12 months include:
    • Finalization of supporting reports, update of the business plan and activation of the website prior to the end of 2009.
    • Completion of the Port Alberta governance structure including board structure and securing of a permanent Executive Director.
    • Immediately become active in advancing or supporting key initiatives that help build the Port authority. This would include supporting or facilitating where possible companies seeking to grow or establish in the region.
    • Promote industry partnerships and direct membership in Port Alberta.
    • Develop a long term funding model which includes sustainable funding from industry and governments.
    In other words, there won't even be funding yet, i.e. nothing much is happening.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.

^Nothing much may be happening but something is still happening.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Nothing much may be happening but something is still happening.
    Nothing is happening...or SOME effort would be made to keep this front and centre in the minds of the business community and public. Silence is...deadening.

^We don't necessarily get to know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Sometimes silence is golden.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^We don't necessarily get to know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Sometimes silence is golden.
    Glad to see this popped up again. I have been quite intrigued by the Port Alberta concept. The silence had me concerned it was dead in the water. I look forward to news in the near future.

Currently EIA are running utilities to the far end of runway 30/12 supposedly for the development of a cargo related hanger to be built in the not too distant future.

C2E SME

It's out for tender at the moment, if it's the same one. Roughly 80,000 square feet I believe.

Default Timing could be right for Port Alberta

"Wide-bodies have lagged behind the overall market but they're showing signs of health," said Andy Golub, an analyst at Ascend in New York who describes the high-capacity 747 as a "bellwether" for airline confidence. "If people are paying for that high-priced seat or moving expedited products in the belly of an aircraft, that's a very good sign."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/Jumbo+be...#ixzz0weNH2V1L

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It's out for tender at the moment, if it's the same one. Roughly 80,000 square feet I believe.
    Could also be for the area along the north end of airport road. I noticed a lot of earth work going on there, sewers and a large area cleared big enough for a hanger.
    Should have said service road close to the north end of 02/20.
    Last edited by Glenco; 18-08-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Here is an update, it looks like nothing new to report except that the Leduc/Nisku Economic Development Authority is spearheading it this time.

http://www.internationalregion.com/n...px?itemID=1476
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Here is an update, it looks like nothing new to report except that the Leduc/Nisku Economic Development Authority is spearheading it this time.

http://www.internationalregion.com/n...px?itemID=1476
    Led by an Architect...duh And without Reps from the Capital Region Board...double duh... Going no where fast.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Good updates. Still, this project is moving at a glacial pace.

What are you people talking about??? Port Alberta's already moving ahead; it just happens that it's being built in Winnipeg.

Edmonton dithered, and Winnipeg snagged the Fed $$ to move on.
    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

New President and CEO for Port Alberta is being announced
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    New President and CEO for Port Alberta is being announced
    It was already announced. It is circulating in a professional newsletters from the persons last job. But it best be silent and let Port Alberta blow the horn. My earlier comments still stand and even more so now. Bottom line is - industry need to drive development and we need real property developers and know the art of the "deal" at the Board table and leading this parade as they are game changers.

agreed !

Default At last

EDMONTON - Edmonton’s Port Alberta has its first president and chief executive.

Wendy Cooper will lead development of operational and funding plans in the project to develop Edmonton as a major inland trade and transportation hub, connecting to global markets by air, rail, road, sea and pipeline.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...559/story.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I hope this goes somewhere this time.

It's a start... yay!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Wendy and team had great success at CEA
    She has the stamina to really push PA along

Partially Addicted to C2E

I am very happy to see some progress here. There is an extremely large gap that needs to be made up in this area. It will take all the stamina mentioned here to get this going.

I'll play my part.
    happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

I'm afraid that ship has sailed:
    www.winnipeginlandport.ca
    Too little, way too late.

That would be one of the "extremely large gaps" I was referring to. Add to this Calgary's significant lead in this space if you want even more pressure.
    happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

Addicted to C2E

I have the upmost confidence in the Honourable Rona Ambrose who is looking out for the greater good of Edmonton and the economic prosperity of the Capital Region.
    Port Alberta needs (needed) huge buy in and commitment from the Feds in order to create a free-trade zone, establish partnerships overseas, infrastructure, etc... Edmonton is/was better positioned than Winnipeg in terms of location. Anchorage was nervous of Edmonton's potential because delivery times from China to the US would be less if funelled through Prince Rupert (sea) and Edmonton (air) as opposed to Anchorage (air cargo transfered from Chinese Carriers to US Carriers (ANC) vs. Chinese Carriers using YEG to transfer cargo). But federal funding poured into Centreport $212 Million - stupid decision and purely a political one.
    You get what you vote for Edmonton and Alberta!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have the upmost confidence in the Honourable Rona Ambrose who is looking out for the greater good of Edmonton and the economic prosperity of the Capital Region...
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Thanks, I needed that ...
    ... gobsmacked

EDMONTON - The fledgling inland Port Alberta is not a place.

Nor is it a single destination for imported goods, such as a hub at Edmonton International Airport for air cargo, rail or trucking.

It is, rather, a project that spans the Edmonton region and aims to link local business to international trade through a “multi-modal transportation hub” that promotes “value-added opportunities.”
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...952/story.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Good to finally see some positive coverage

This doesn't help. New CN yard being built 20 minutes from Calgary airport
    http://www.cn.ca/documents/About-CN/...cs-park-en.pdf

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Not an issue. CP is planning to build a new railyard in Nisku if I recall correctly.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

New major rail interchange under construction in the Lamont/Bruderhiem area

C2E SME

If the Yellowhead is upgraded to a freeway, I'm sure that areas north of Sherwood Park (around the CN/CP intersection of the tracks) would do great.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ Not an issue. CP is planning to build a new railyard in Nisku if I recall correctly.
    Can't assume it isn't an issue. I was just pointing out that other cities might want to do the same thing. Calgary is on CP's mainline, and could easily compete, or beat Edmonton to the punch. For our port to be successful it would be ideal to access CN's mainline. CP's is only a branch type line near Leduc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Can't assume it isn't an issue. I was just pointing out that other cities might want to do the same thing. Calgary is on CP's mainline, and could easily compete, or beat Edmonton to the punch. For our port to be successful it would be ideal to access CN's mainline. CP's is only a branch type line near Leduc.
    Howlong will it take to get from the CN yards in the NW to YEG once the AHD is complete? 30 minutes?

All I was pointing out is that Edmonton can't be the only one thinking about something like this. If things don't get going here, someone else may scoop the port opportunity.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I thought Winnipeg already beat us to the punch?

And Regina. Edmonton still has the advantage of being the closest to Asia of all the prairie cities and that is where most of the growth will occur. It is Edmonton's to lose but this time I think we have the right attitude and the right people on the job. The unknown factor is the political influence. That I have my doubts about.

Default Airport authority making case for Calgary as main cargo hub

Its seems Port Alberta is well underway, however it is being constructed in Calgary:

Every week, 160 planes take off or land at the Calgary Airport carrying cargo -up dramatically compared to flights numbering in the single digits a decade ago.

It's an indication of a steadily expanding part of the airport authority's business, one that builds on its long-term strategy to become a logistics hub for Western Canada.

Ten years ago, every Canadian airport had a plan like this.

"Ten years later they still have plans; we have the goods."

While other cities are now looking to create similar hubs that include their airports, such as Edmonton and Winnipeg, Poirier believes Calgary has a solid head start.

He says all Canadian airports combined haven't created the 1.8 million square feet of logistics and warehouse space the Calgary airport authority has to date.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz1RkIGuzqv

Keep an eye out next time you drive into Calgary, the global logistics centre Phase 2 is huge and very visible from the Deerfoot, being constructed at the moment (looks like a giant box store).

Very disappointing that YEG is still dithering with studies (see for example post 101), all the while Calgary airport authority has just built. This horse has bolted.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-07-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Oh well then we may as well give up and all move to that other city. You first.
    Reading some of the comments it does not seem as though to many people down there are happy with who is footing the bill.
    Last edited by Glenco; 10-07-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added another comment

^the issue of the tunnel is an old one.

Its just disappointing to me that we can see here an airport authority that has a vision, so they implement it, versus YEG's approach, which is to find partners to study it to death with. It's remarkable to go back to the beginning of this thread from late 2008 and read all the excited comments, like "HUGE!", and then to see nothing has happened since then except for some consultants making money, whereas Calgary airport just keeps on going ahead with its expansion. IMO YEG has to be one of the most mismanaged organizations in Alberta to have failed to realize the importance / not put resources quick enough into this. Too busy telling people not to fly through Calgary and other distractions I guess, rather than investing some effort into actually making Port Alberta happen.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.

C2E SME

I think there has to be more support or participation from other groups. It seems like Edmonton Airports is the one group providing leadership on Port Alberta. What about the Capital Region or other potential business partners. Edmonton Airports has a 30-year plan.

What about the city and its plan for bus service to the airport? I agree, EIA should focus its energy on securing more flights.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^the issue of the tunnel is an old one.

Its just disappointing to me that we can see here an airport authority that has a vision, so they implement it, versus YEG's approach, which is to find partners to study it to death with. It's remarkable to go back to the beginning of this thread from late 2008 and read all the excited comments, like "HUGE!", and then to see nothing has happened since then except for some consultants making money, whereas Calgary airport just keeps on going ahead with its expansion. IMO YEG has to be one of the most mismanaged organizations in Alberta to have failed to realize the importance / not put resources quick enough into this. Too busy telling people not to fly through Calgary and other distractions I guess, rather than investing some effort into actually making Port Alberta happen.
    Something has happened since then. They have invested a lot of money and time in infrastructure south of the new terminal. New roads and services that must have cost millions. Six of the airside lots have been leased. You should take a drive out there some time and check it out for yourself. Before this point in time there was very little air side property ready to be developed.
    The new terminal was started at the beginning of one of the worst financial crisis in history and yet they took the courageous step of starting it at that time. Mismanaged? Here we are at the beginning of another boom just as the terminal is coming on stream. At the same time they had to fight the pro CCA crowd which must have been a huge distraction.
    So just how much money do you think they can leverage? There is a limit and these two projects alone must be over $1billion.
    Build it and they will come? We can only hope where as the administration out there have the collective neck on the line.
    Last edited by Glenco; 11-07-2011 at 12:28 AM.

^that's pretty weak Glenco, Calgary doesn't have all the roads (not even a complete ring road, and complaints about the lack of a tunnel), but they have been able to build considerable storage capacity (1.8 million square feet), and are still doing it. Its easy to find excuses to not up your sleeves and work, but while YEG and its partners dithered, Calgary Airport Authority just went ahead and raised the money and built even during the financial crises (right after was the best time to build with cheap labour). Now they are so far ahead that Port Alberta will never get close to catching up. By the time the pretty consultants plans are all complete (like in post 101), we will probably be in the grip of a severe labor shortage, which no doubt will double or triple the cost compared to what Calgary Airport Authority has paid (another reason then to dither some more perhaps?). Its a horrible missed opportunity, fortune favors the bold, leaders who aren't scared to put their necks on the line / don't need a consultant to blame if things go wrong, not the timid (i.e. the incompetent). Heads should roll.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-07-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Addicted to C2E

Port Alberta is no longer a single destination. It is not YEG. The Port Alberta plan, as it was 5 years ago, is DEAD, gone, done.
    The original idea was to capitalize on the deep water port at Prince Rupert and ship and recieve goods from a single point. Our MP's did nothing, or not enough and we lost what could have been the biggest opportunity to the capital region would have seen since Leduc #1.
    PA would have provided a sustainable economy to Edmonton. We can say we have a diverse economy in Edmonton, but just about every sector is fed by Oil and Gas.
    This is a much much bigger loss than anyone can fathom. The media has just never picked up on how big it could have been and how big of a loss it is and will be.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    The media has just never picked up on how big it could have been and how big of a loss it is and will be.
    How can media be xpected to pay attention to Port Alberta when true business stories like this http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...986/story.html exist.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by lo 044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    the media has just never picked up on how big it could have been and how big of a loss it is and will be.
    how can media be xpected to pay attention to port alberta when true business stories like this http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...986/story.html exist.
    hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, give 'em a break. I'm sure Lamphier and the rest of the Journal's business writers get tired of writing about the same 4 or 5 companies that still have their headquarters here.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Perhaps we should be inviting the chinese to establish a manufacturing and industrial city of 50,000 workers out that way, sw YEG, as in Boise. I am sure there would be substantial spinoff. I was reading about the plan to establish 250 such areas in North America, maybe we best jump on the bandwagon and get in on it. Maybe the Heartland area that may not be used now

Addicted to C2E

It looks like the Calgary logistics connection is beginning to cut Port Alberta's Grass here.

New container connections via CN / Prince Rupert to and from Asia. When you combine this with the major distribution centres in calgary , there is a growing critical mass in Cow town. It is too bad . I thought we had a lead in this area but I think we are letting opportunities slip .

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/9366...lberta-economy

C2E SME

It's too bad that Edmonton and the Capital Region moves at a glacial pace on opportunities like these.

C2E Continued Contributor

Haven't heard much about this for a while...

Cool video, very good style, but unfortunately no substance. They didn't really explain the Port Alberta concept at all. Is this still about the Prince Rupert connection? Is this about creating a duty free warehousing? I remember going out to Hong Kong with some YEG officials that were promoting the Port Alberta idea in 2006 lol. 6 years later and nothing has happened except this video.

Last edited by bolo; 24-07-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Be careful what you say, they don't like negativity here.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Comments like that will definitely get you on everyones good side

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Cool video, very good style, but unfortunately no substance. They didn't really explain the Port Alberta concept at all. Is this still about the Prince Rupert connection? Is this about creating a duty free warehousing? I remember going out to Hong Kong with some YEG officials that were promoting the Port Alberta idea in 2006 lol. 6 years later and nothing has happened except this video.
    From my little understanding, Calgary and Winnipeg have jumped ahead with the prairie port concept while Edmonton dithers. Usual story.

I was in Calgary this past weekend and took a drive around YYC. There is massive developments going on at the airport (new international terminal, runway and tunnel) and around the airport area with the new logistics park, CN Rail facilities and new hotels. YYC has long left YEG in the dust. They definitely know how to get things done there while we drag our feet here. Slow and painful.

C2E SME

I was in Calgary too PhiFly, and I was impressed with their development at the airport. Edmonton tries, but there still isn't enough of a united front with the City, business community and other stakeholders.

^the sad thing is, nobody is held accountable. Because it was a sort of "joint venture" in Edmonton, nobody took responsiblity and nothing got done. Ultimatley though, it just shows the difference between good management and leadership which YYC's management has shown, and indifference / risk averse YEG.

YYC took a risk, it might have failed, but it didn't. But not taking risks is every bit as big a failing, its really disapointing to see how the opportunity has been lost for Edmonton forever, by bumbling and dithering. And no-one will face the axe for it... so sadly it will repeat.

This would make a great business comparitive case study for someone doing an MBA or similar.
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Don't be so hard on EIA, on a global scale Alberta can only support one major global access point. Airlines will not duplicate services when these Airports are 250km apart, literally next door, in their world.

YYC is the chosen one, unfortunately, we should spend our energy on being a world class medium sized Airport. We will never rival YYC and their international connections, time to accept that reality, then we can move on and develop YEG to a more realistic potential.

Airport Authorities have zero pull when it comes time for the Airlines to place Aircraft, its based purely on economics, not emotion.

YEG has come a long way since privatization and should be commended for their hard work, they cannot control Airlines, most of which are in a struggle to survivive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rime ice View Post
    Don't be so hard on EIA, on a global scale Alberta can only support one major global access point. Airlines will not duplicate services when these Airports are 250km apart, literally next door, in their world.

YYC is the chosen one, unfortunately, we should spend our energy on being a world class medium sized Airport. We will never rival YYC and their international connections, time to accept that reality, then we can move on and develop YEG to a more realistic potential.

Airport Authorities have zero pull when it comes time for the Airlines to place Aircraft, its based purely on economics, not emotion.

YEG has come a long way since privatization and should be commended for their hard work, they cannot control Airlines, most of which are in a struggle to survivive these days.
    Bang on!!! But someone of us on here cannot accept the reality

What defines a "world class medium sized airport"? Especially one without international connections? I wouldn't be so quick to give up on this.

I use to live/work between Toronto/Chicago and would not have moved back to Edmonton if the United ORD route did not exist. I've flown the direct flight to LHR three (four come August) times to go to Europe, and some of my friends in London would not be coming home to Edmonton nearly as often without it. If we had a direct flight to Hong Kong, My family would be using it multiple times a year (and wouldn't have bought a house in Vancouver for retirement... there goes their property tax).

It's extremely important that we push for international connections and don't relegate ourselves to 2nd class status. Just because all the "business" activity is in Calgary doesn't mean that they automatically get the better airport. It's not like Denver or Minneapolis or Phoenix or a host of other hub cities are economic centers. It's really just a political game that we haven't been playing as well as YYC, but that doesn't mean we can't turn it around.

We still need JFK or EWR, a south florida destination and HNL should be realistic destinations right now. Lets stop aiming for the moon with FRA or HKG. These kind of routes Airlines would take alook at, the Aircraft rotations would not be too hard to cycle in and out and crew pairings would allow one crew to operate arr/dep except HNL.

Don't forget you need slots at these Airports and most cases they are not for sale. You sometimes have to take a slot from another city, this is where the EIA business case comes in.

^HKG is sort of interesting though, as there are a lot of people with ties to HKG in Edmonton. I'm doubtful on France.

^HKG is sort of interesting though, as there are a lot of people with ties to HKG in Edmonton. I'm doubtful on France.

Many of you here are quite the dreamers. There is no way we are getting HKG. If any new int'l destinations are approved to Asia from Alberta they will be from YYC. YYC team has been working for a few years in getting a direct connection to China. The business community in Calgary is really stepping up to get this done. YYC team has gone to China as part of trade missions and has been working hard to get this approved. With Chinese firms buying up Cdn oil & gas companies there is going to be bigger case to start direct flights to China from YYC. Also, not only that some of the orient banks have set up shop in Calgary too such as the Chinese Bank ICBC...this is all related to the oil & gas. What case can YEG make for flights to HKG? Not much sorry to say.

^We're 100km closer. And we are the provincial capital.

What you say is all true of course, and Calgary really does have a leg up on us. But what really stands out in what you say is about Calgary stepping up to get this done, something that Edmonton has not been doing. That should not be the reason holding us back, for HKG or any other flights.

^^Moa, I think he meant FRA-Frankfurt, not France. Funny cause I have a couple friends who just booked YEG<>YYC<>FRA<>Berlin (not sure which airport), while I elected to go through LHR to Berlin. Mine actually comes out quite a bit cheaper, even with Heathrow's insane fees. But I think a lot of people are conditioned to fly through Calgary to go to Germany.
    Last edited by bolo; 25-07-2012 at 08:19 PM.

I must confess that I did the YYC-FRA-ATH this year. I was home in Central Alberta so it actually made a bit of sense.

Normally I would do YEG-YYZ-FRA-ATH.

But one thing that needs to be remembered, although now 25 years ago, is the Olympic legacy. That certainly helped Calgary Airport quite a bit at a time when Edmonton was busy ripping itself apart.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E SME

I think one thing that might help would be allowing EIA a seat on any transportation committee that the Capital Region has for transportation planning.

In the journal earlier this year, if i recalled correctly, 500 board planes at EIA on route to Van for Asia daily. It was in correlation with Vancouver announcing their expansion. Part of that article had their CEO alluding to fear of Edmonton taking part of their pie away. This shows me EIA and Edmonton need to clean house and get their act together and start thinking outside their box. Im not seeing too much creativity at EIA. With that said, we should wait until the expansion comes to a complete halt. Sometimes too much at one time is also reductive in achieving goals.

C2E Continued Contributor

looks like there really constructing stuff to the east of the airport along the QE2 and the Airport Road area. I think this area was to be developed in a few years, but the earth movers are going crazy moving soil around. Wonder what will be developed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
    looks like there really constructing stuff to the east of the airport along the QE2 and the Airport Road area. I think this area was to be developed in a few years, but the earth movers are going crazy moving soil around. Wonder what will be developed there.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...reply&p=454577
    I asked the same question a while ago. Did not get a reply. Somehow I don't think this area would be part of Port Alberta but who knows.

I thought it might be another sprawl neighborhood, maybe a new one for Leduc or something. Don't know.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary make all of Vancouver's Asia flights possible. A critical mass if you will

Does Calgary not have flights to Tokyo. As well, Asia stems all the way east to Lebanon- atleast mh Lebanese claim; although we classify it as middle east...

Yes it does.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I thought it might be another sprawl neighborhood, maybe a new one for Leduc or something. Don't know.
    According th their master plan this area is designated for commercial development.
    http://corporate.flyeia.com/media/46..._2010-2035.pdf
    Page 183
    Where on earth did you get the idea it was for residential "sprawl"?

The situation i see with PA and EDE is that they're appointed positions with all the elites of Edmonton's corporate - CEOs and propriators. This reminds me of Northlands and is very reductive and inaffective. Both must be treated like a corporatipn such as Epcor in the past with one CEO, and the rest working bees. All these appointees in both committies is like a company with 'all chiefs and no indians!" this is why neither committies has not produced anything significant and reverberating! It is not too late. However, our city- mayor, councils, corporates, and elite- need to step back and overview all avenues, and start again. When you trip and fall, you get back up again don't you? Or do you just lay there?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Where on earth did you get the idea it was for residential "sprawl"?
    Just driving past and seeing earth being moved. Often in Edmonton, that means new sprawl. I'm glad its not.

EIA just put up a new video on their site. Cargo stuff, so it should be port Alberta related.http://corporate.flyeia.com/business...ent/cargo.aspx

Cool Status

Someone posted (yesterday) elsewhere that Calgary had beaten us to the punch on Port Alberta (Edmonton)
    Is this true ?
    I, for one, have heard bupkiss about PA in a year or so

Rational thoughts and comments ?

^It's hard to make or version of Port Alberta happen when you are not on the CN main line....There is rail access here that Calgary doesn't have...

There is still lots of opportunity for Edmonton to focus and upgrade it's transportation distribution centers. The scope of Port Alberta has also changed from being a physical thing to also being a networker, facilitator and lobby

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

CP has a major container facility in both regions
    CP has one here (liklley one in Calgary as well but I don't know)
    Both cities are served by cross Canada highways
    Edmonton serves central (south to Red Deer (sort of and border to border north and on into the extreme north and Northwest
    Calgary's is closer to the border

Calgary doesn't have CN's Main line we do and that means a lot
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 10-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Posting internet links does not tell the story...

It is about the volume of cargo that goes through the lines. So you post a lot of spur lines on CN. CN and CP also can share access to Prince Rupert IIRC. CP hits all the major centres on their line as well. With Hunter now at the helm...CP will be aggressive as heck...so do not discount them yet.

As for focusing on cross docking, value add manufacturing, duty free status, etc...that has always been the case. In fact, that was the major selling feature of Port Alberta from day 1....to be the closest major inland port to Prince Rupert, Kitimat, etc...to have the low operating costs...low taxation rates...accesss to CN and CP for CANAMEX and a straight shot to Chicago, etc...

Winnipeg did CentrePort off this very model. ...the running gag at the time was a thank you to Edmonton for doing the legwork...

...this is NOT saying it cannot be done...but maybe now people here will finally figure out why the regional issue bugs me...the lack of co-operation is a huge killer, so stop with the constant desire to talk and make sure everyone is happy and just freaking doing it already...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

From the CN site

" CN opens new intermodal terminal at Calgary Logistics Park

CALGARY, Alta., Jan. 10, 2013 — The first CN (TSX: CNR)(NYSE: CNI) trains to serve the state-of-the-art intermodal terminal for containerized goods at the company's new Calgary Logistics Park arrived today.

Jean-Jacques Ruest, CN executive vice-president and chief marketing officer, said: “The opening of this intermodal terminal launches our logistics park operation, which will provide seamless transportation solutions to rail customers moving products and commodities into and out of Calgary -- one of the fastest growing regional markets in North America."

^ yes but it's not on the main line.

Rail traffic In Edmonton will do nothing but explode.

New crude oil rail loading facility being built in Edmonton

http://globalnews.ca/news/753549/new...t-in-edmonton/

The new terminal is expected to be commissioned during the second quarter of 2014, pending regulatory approvals.

The companies are also already looking into a possible expansion, that would allow them to move up to 125,000 barrels per day of crude oil.

its a shared services agreement

Still wondering what is happening with the whole PA concept ?

Interesting board mix
    http://portalberta.com/board/

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    its a shared services agreement

Still wondering what is happening with the whole PA concept ?

Interesting board mix
    http://portalberta.com/board/
    There is not enough muscle and brains on that Board in leadership positions. Take the current chair for example: an architect that is a talker not a doer - and under such leadership Port Alberta is going no where. The Board needs to take a good look at itself and see if its structured correctly and has people than CAN make things happen and are prepared to roll up their sleeves and do some heavy lifting. As is we see people "appointed" or volunteered by corporations ... and a few political hacks with nothing better to do.

I wonder if Karen Libievic can head this consortium as she has experience with government issues. She'll require a team of strong businessmen covering all areas of this development and one of tangible personality as the front face to engage with public and leaders.

Addicted to C2E

It would appear that councillor Gibbons is a big supporter of Port Alberta. I am not quite sure of the dynamics of Railroad freight and then airlifting it.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...128/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    It would appear that councillor Gibbons is a big supporter of Port Alberta. I am not quite sure of the dynamics of Railroad freight and then airlifting it.

They are fairly common around the world but where we once led we now lag.

The concept is rather simple...

A Cargo airport with rail adjacent can act as a distribution centre.

Products, typically medical and high tech but can often being things as diverse as the Cadillac Allante' chassis, come in on rail and are sent out by air....in the Allante' case they came in by air and hand the drivelines installed and went out by rail.

Edmonton with it's particular geographic location could be that outbound distribution centre to Canada' North with products comng in by rail and out by air and the inbound distribution centre for electronics and other products from Asia coming in by air and out by truck or rail.

But it takes immense co ordination and massive warehousing in addition to excellent hi way and rail connections

In my highly biased personal opinion

I think Edmonton should start looking at alternative shipping technologies.

http://aeroscraft.com/fleet/4578293048 -> 500 tons, hells yeah massive space, the oil industry would be all over these!

Have port Alberta be a destination for large cargo rigid air ships. It's right by nisku and leduc where all the big fab plants are. Would be the perfect spot for it. And also northern alberta is the perfect spot for this sort of thing. Especially considering the High way infrastructure being what it is and rail doesn't go everywhere. Use these for the mega wind projects that are planned. Moving big oil sands pieces. Moving small oil sands and oil rig parts to remote sites. Resupply and movement of large items year round to high north mining operations with out having to use ice roads.

Seems like a good fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post

They are fairly common around the world but where we once led we now lag.

The concept is rather simple...

A Cargo airport with rail adjacent can act as a distribution centre.

Products, typically medical and high tech but can often being things as diverse as the Cadillac Allante' chassis, come in on rail and are sent out by air....in the Allante' case they came in by air and hand the drivelines installed and went out by rail.

Edmonton with it's particular geographic location could be that outbound distribution centre to Canada' North with products comng in by rail and out by air and the inbound distribution centre for electronics and other products from Asia coming in by air and out by truck or rail.

But it takes immense co ordination and massive warehousing in addition to excellent hi way and rail connections

In my highly biased personal opinion
    We have ample ample space available to lay out a very massive container storage yard. Super sized warehousing facilities, also cold storage facilities if need be. Logistics firms would be all over gaining access to this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I wonder if Karen Libievic can head this consortium as she has experience with government issues. She'll require a team of strong businessmen covering all areas of this development and one of tangible personality as the front face to engage with public and leaders.
    Indeed she has the skills and work ethic to realize the ambition of Port Alberta and EIA as Chair (not as an operational President).

Furthermore, under one location, you require one administration team only that will have insights to all aspects; this allows for better communication, comprehension, decission, and allocations of matters by the minute. A logic and pragmatic choice really. The most pertinent factor is having a front image that has the ability to charm customers with his/her charisma. Not everyone has that ability regardless of how achievable they are or have been. Lets shift to a higher gear now Edmonton!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Indeed she has the skills and work ethic to realize the ambition of Port Alberta and EIA as Chair (not as an operational President).
    Im glad you think so as do I. If anyone else believe so, reply with your input; we have to do our part with ideas as well and not just sit back and ask why are they not doing anything...We have a voice through this forum, so let us take advantage of it.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...785/story.html

Two major Edmonton business organizations are seeking to push ahead with the Port Alberta concept after the group promoting the idea shut down this year.

The Edmonton International Airport and the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation hope to come up with a new business plan and structure by the end of March.

“It’s a terrific opportunity. We really don’t know how far it can go,” says Norm Richard, the airport’s director of air service development.
    Port Alberta was created in 2007 to promote Edmonton as a major warehousing, logistics, air, road and rail distribution hub.

That could mean improved train links with the Prince Rupert port or better goods movement from local factories to customers in northern Alberta or around the world.

The federal government provided $1.5 million to help with this work, and Port Alberta became a non-profit company with EIA as a board member in 2010.

Richard says the group wound down last spring and no longer exists, although he doesn’t know the reasons.

But he still sees value in working with other organizations to expand the regional economy, which among other benefits would boost EIA’s growing air cargo business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast