Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned Words List (what are Edmonton's)

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Own The Podium (this is more of a national one)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by glasshead View Post
    "epic fail" for 2009/10
    There are times when I think that should be Edmonton's motto.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    "That's so gay" or "that's gay"
    Popular tag line from Will and Grace

the current slang term for 2010 is

"under the category of how gay is that"

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    Own The Podium (this is more of a national one)
    The current variations are

Flown the Podium Canada's expectations

Loan the Podium The American's spin on it.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

2011 list:
    You stay classy
    There's an app for that
    Wardrobe malfunction
    Come at me bro
    Cool story bro
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Katz Kool-Aid
    Katzplex
    "Howie" Mandel
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

2011 list:
    Come at me bro
    Cool story bro
    you realize that by including these two that you stand a chance of eliminating over half the syntax possibilities of most males under the age of 20?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^ LOL! The syntax of most males under 20 is already shot to hell, courtesy of texting.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Bandwidth Hog

2012 list:
    - fiscal cliff
    - ermahgerd
    - gangnam style
    - YOLO
    - bozo eruption

Vibrant.

A lot can be forgiven to anyone who expresses his thoughts without vibrating.

No problem.

The ultimately lazy and ignorant thing to say, usually by people both unqualified to determine whether there is a problem or not, and, more likely, not in the position to voice their unasked-for opinion. For example, servers when you thank them.

Bro.

No man would use this word or anything that goes with it -- bro codes, revokable bro cards, the works.

^ I'm vetoing No Problem and Bro.

No problem is just a great expression. And if we ban Bro, then it will just hasten the slow increase of Bra that I keep hearing.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Super Addict

Using the silly term "YEG" in relation to anything other than that airport down near Leduc.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ keep raging against that machine... lol
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Super Addict

^I realise that may unintentionally give the impression that I give a f***, when in reality I actually find Edmonton's lack of and desperation for a tangible identity quite amusing.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ than why participate on this board...

My Edmonton has a very strong identity with and active community, festivals, heritage street car and rail infrastructure, amazing green spaces, it's walkable and is home to multi modes of transport.

Now my Edmonton is only shared by about 60-80,000 others but most people in Vancouver don't live the Yaletown/run on the seawall/afternoon in Stanley park lifestyle either.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Trolls do not deserve any responses, EDP, especially those trolls who are stupid enough to operate under the delusion that Edmonton is the only city in Canada that's referenced by airport codes these days. Add to the Ignore list and move along.

Back to the fun...more banned phrases:
    - Frankenstorm
    - "call me maybe"

you guys forgot swag

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ^I realise that may unintentionally give the impression that I give a f***, when in reality I actually find Edmonton's lack of and desperation for a tangible identity quite amusing.
    andy8244!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

- No Zero Policy
    - First World Problems
    - Flash Mob

Occupy
    Using airport codes to reference a city outside of twitter
    The new future
    Amazing
    World class

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Make Whole (at least once the NHL lockout is done)
    Lake of Fire

Addicted to C2E

The word I thought was used way too much last year was "Headwinds" seemingly everything that met with any resistance in any form was facing Headwinds.

and one phrase that wasn't used nearly enough was "plunk your magic twanger"

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Romney/Ryan
    Entitlements
    Clean Coal
    Managed Congestion
    2" snow pack
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Leave clean coal out of there.... Coal can be processed and burned with less co2 output than natural gas. It's something we should strive towards.

Baby Daddy
    Baby Bump
    O. M. G.
    Man Cave
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Bandwidth Hog

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ned-words.html

"Fiscal cliff" and "spoiler alert" are among the words and phrases that have landed on the 38th annual List of Words to be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness as decreed by Michigan Lake Superior State University.

Other top banished words and phrases include:

Bucket list.
    Double down.
    Trending.
    Superfood.
    Boneless wings.
    Guru.
    Job creators and job creation.
    Passion and passionate.
    YOLO.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Another phrase that needs to be banned from society:
    "It is what it is"

Dump "going forward" as well, please.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

"Twerking"
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Bandwidth Hog

prorogue

prorogue
    should've been banned in 2008 yes...

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I removed 2008 from the title
    Ow

Oilsands.

Tar is tar is bitumen is tar.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

duckface - well okay the activity should be a punishable offense, not just the word
    selfie

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Oilsands.

Bitumen is not tar except colloquially. No real problem with using the two interchangeably in casual conversation but the two are related but different things.

Tar is a substance obtained from a variety of organic materials through destructive distillation. Tar can be produced from coal, wood, petroleum, or peat.
    bitumem is a sticky, black and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid form of petroleum.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

"orientated"
    "To be honest..." My reaction = I knew you were frickin' lying all along and I suspect that I am about to hear a boatload of whoppers next
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

'viral' or 'went viral'

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Oilsands.

Bitumen is not tar except colloquially. No real problem with using the two interchangeably in casual conversation but the two are related but different things.

Tar is a substance obtained from a variety of organic materials through destructive distillation. Tar can be produced from coal, wood, petroleum, or peat.
    bitumem is a sticky, black and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid form of petroleum.
    So, by definition tarsand is an incorrect use when related to what is in he ground in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Oilsands.

So, by definition tarsand is an incorrect use when related to what is in he ground in Alberta.
    Technically, yes. It's not tar unless it's distilled (fractionated). It is possible for this to happen naturally. For example the at the La Brea Tar Pits heavy oil seeps to the surface and becomes tar as the lighter fractions evaporate.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

bitumen bubble
    stay classy
    selfie

From the original Lake Superior University list I still use;
    Webinar - is there a better term for it?
    Black Friday - geez give me a break, why not use it oh wait people have to be politically correct.

Then again I still wish people Merry Christmas, but I also use sex to refer to male or female (God forbid) not just reproduction and rapeseed just to be my normal Red Forman grouchy self.

Selfie, twerk, hashtag and more: The banished words of 2014

Other words that made this year's cut include:

--Hashtag
    --Twittersphere
    --Mister Mom
    --T-bone, not as in the steak, but as in the automobile accident
    --______ on steroids (always fun when you get to insert your own word)
    --Anything ending in -ageddon and -pocalypse
    --Intellectually/morally bankrupt (interesting, in that they're one entry to describe political words)
    --Obamacare (no explanation needed)
    --Adversity (a football term)
    --Fan base

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...words-new-year

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    F
    Black Friday - geez give me a break, why not use it oh wait people have to be politically correct.
    Black Friday has nothing to do with being politically (in)correct.
    Black Friday has been a major shopping event in the U.S. for a number of years now. The origin of the term apparently goes back to Philadelphia in the 1950s or 1960s. The day after U.S. Thanksgiving was a day of heavy shopping and heavy traffic in downtown Philly, which the local cops called Black Friday. Why Philadelphia, nobody seems to know. In time, the term spread to other areas. In the 1980s, it appears some retailers didn’t like the idea of one of their busiest shopping days of the year having a negative connotation, so the explanation arose that the day after Thanksgiving was the day that retailers started to show a profit — in the black, as the saying goes. And so the legend of Black Friday — the day that marks the unofficial start of the Christmas conspicuous consumption season — was born.

http://mauricetougas.wordpress.com/2...ye-boxing-day/

Oh I know it has everything to do with going from red ink to being in the black, however the politically correct people can't have people using the word black because they feel it is racist.

In Cry Freedom there is an interesting exchange (not sure if it was real life or dramatized for the movie).
    Kevin Kline: Why do they call you black, you are more brown.
    Denzel Washington: Why do they call you white, you are more pink.

Politically correct? I don't think I've heard anyone object to Black Friday on racial grounds just on the tired of the whole event grounds.

Politically correct? I don't think I've heard anyone object to Black Friday on racial grounds just on the tired of the whole event grounds.
    I don't watch The View, doesn't fit my demographic
    http://punditfromanotherplanet.com/2...friday-racist/

...there are those that do protest on this...forgetting the whole origin...but that is back in the US. I heard this quite frequently actually.
    Onward and upward

^ Race is a very touchy subject in the usa as we all know... I have never heard any of my non anglo saxon friends uoset by "black friday"

I simply want it banned because I don't agree with USA culture trying to change our country. We have boxing day/week. I also take great reservation about promoting a day where people regularly die to be a consumer.

Black Friday.... is indeed a dark day.

http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 03-01-2014 at 01:24 PM.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ Race is a very touchy subject in the usa as we all know... I have never heard any of my non anglo saxon friends uoset by "black friday"

I simply want it banned because I don't agree with USA culture trying to change our country. We have boxing day/week. I also take great reservation about promoting a day where people regularly die to be a consumer.

Black Friday.... is indeed a dark day.

http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/

My out of touchedness with mass media is showing I guess.

'Gone 'Viral' should be banned because it's used way too often. It is pretty tiring to hear/read of video/YouTube shots that have 'gone viral' only to watch them and wonder why. 20,30,50 second videos of not so awesome footage only to be told it had gone viral. How many millions watched and stated afterwards that it really was not that good and not worth the fuss. Maybe I am just getting a bit jaded when I hear that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by dwells View Post
    Meridian ... as used to refer to the island between opposing lanes of roadway (median).
    Yup that one frosts my mug too. The only acceptable use would be in Lloydminster (4th Meridian). Ironically the center of the street (median) was planned to be on the meridian, however survey errors put the street entirely in Saskatchewan.

The city is working on making 49th Avenue a one way northbound and 50th Avenue one way southbound essentially moving the median of the road further from the meridian.

PS: You think people complain about Edmonton money building roads that help people from Sherwood Park or St. Albert, imagine living in Lloydminster, ONE city in 2 provinces not only is this project funded by the city but also by Saskatchewan and probably Alberta too.

^I can't say if the road was suggested to be in the middle of the 4th Meridian way back when, but since it was built on the road allowance, the surveyed line would be on the west side of the R/A. A 5m road widening south of the Yellowhead is on the Alberta side. North of the Yellowhead, the provincial boundary is on the property line for several homes and businesses.

This meridian which was intended to be 110° west longitude although the imperfect surveying methods of the time led to the meridian being placed a few hundred meters west of the longitude
    http://canadachannel.ca/HCO/index.ph...f_Lloydminster

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I mentioned before, but now with more gusto: Selfie

Another phrase that needs to be banned from society:
    "It is what it is"
    Damn, I've just found myself saying that. I must be getting older and too lazy to think and solve problems. Oh well, the just an effect getting older I suppose. It is what it is.

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Going Forward.... What? As opposed to reversing? Cannot stand this term.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^ Good one, cnr67.

Beware also that a triathlon is one of the coming events in town, not a triathalon, as most radio/tv announcers would have you believe.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Reverse growth or reverse inflation, just call it shrinking or deflation.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

"...kind of a big deal"
    "Brace yourselves, ____ is coming"

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The "Keep Calm" meme

My god that phrase is plastered on every tenth pick-up truck. J6P delight!

Vortex.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Enough of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" meme already. Most overused of all time.

This will put us on the map.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

"Downtown for everyone"

Restopub

'Berta. It seems to be just getting underway but it could stop now.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

"Netflix and chill"

C2E Bandwidth Hog

"zombie apocalypse"

C2E Bandwidth Hog

"no worries"
    I don't know why but I dislike this as an automated reply to "sorry"

'Berta. It seems to be just getting underway but it could stop now.
    Yup, especially as pronounced by Quinn Ohler: al-burrrrrrda. Drives me nuts.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I don't know who that is but to me it is meant to offend.

^ Really? Ye gods! And you evidently don't watch Global's 11 p.m. newscast.
    Last edited by howie; 24-10-2015 at 01:21 AM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Yeah, check it out. 11 pm. Trust me.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just Saying

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I very rarely watch Globals 11:00 pm newscast. To me it is obviously meant to mimic 'bama, to be good ole southern boy redneck. Confederate flag sort of thing. I could be reading way too much into it but I'm not one to paste the family hyrogliphics, grenades, skulls with helmets or other such items on the back window of my vehicle.
    Last edited by SP59; 31-10-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Other not mother

"no worries"
    Everyone in Australia says it.

"Thanks for the Cola"
    "No worries"
    "...I'm... going to worry about a cola....?"

"Absolutely not"

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisnotmyuseridlol View Post
    "no worries"
    Everyone in Australia says it.

"Thanks for the Cola"
    "No worries"
    "...I'm... going to worry about a cola....?"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_worries

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I very rarely watch Globals 11:00 pm newscast. To me it is obviously meant to mimic 'bama, to be good ole southern boy redneck. Confederate flag sort of thing. I could be reading way too much into it but I'm not one to paste the family hyrogliphics, grenades, skulls with helmets or mother such items on the back window of my vehicle.
    " . . . Reading way too much into it". Yes, indeed. None of those thoughts even entered my head re. Quinn Ohler's pronunciation. I'm merely writing down what I hear. Maybe you don't hear it the same way. Different ears and all that.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Bandwidth Hog

You're right, Quinn does have a strong "uuurrrr" pronunciation. "Muuurrrder", "Abuurrrta", etc. Must be a southern Alberta rural thing. It is one of her cuter quirks though!

As for 'Berta, I think this is an appropriation of "Murica" (a disparaging name for America).

C2E Bandwidth Hog

"like a boss"
    "just going to put this here"

"like a boss"
    "just going to put this here"
    In Canada, just is like sorry. Sorry, but it's just our passive civil approach to doing things.

and any variation of it.

Ban this before it gets started 'Smoke Waves'. At least were it pertains to climate fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Ban this before it gets started 'Smoke Waves'. At least were it pertains to climate fanatics.
    A stakeholder has spoken, feel "informed".

^Not sure (no certain) I don't know what that even means. Not trying to inform anyone of anything in particular. What are you trying to achieve with your remark?. I hope it's not a comedy award.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sesquicentennial

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Sesquicentennial
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12