Thread: Stollery Children's Hospital

Default Stollery Children's Hospital

Having just spent a day and a couple of nights with one of my children (doing fine) at the Stollery, I can't rave enough about this place. We are so lucky to have it - well perhaps not lucky, because obviously a lot of effort by Edmontonians is why it is so good

What a terrific facility - wonderful building too. My children love all the internal bridges, and similar, I do too.

Partially Addicted to C2E

It is a brilliant hospital, and a great resource to our community.
    One of those places, I am glad to have, but happy I don't know my way around very well.

I'd rather C2E than work!

moahunter, a few months I donated about 80 DVDs to the Stollery Hospital; hopefully they're put to good use there. They were very appreciative (apparently DVDs have a habit of walking away from the facility).

Gord

Thanks Gord - that's a good idea. Unfortunatley, me and my family are not really movie buffs. I will have to think of something else (maybe video games, or similar). I am always a little uncomfortable giving money though, as it blurs a bit into what I expect my taxes / health care premiums to be paid on (good health care). I guess it can always be improved though...

C2E Long Term Contributor

You can donate all kinds of things to a children's hospital: toys, books, comics, CDs, MP3 players, games.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Banned

Make sure the things that are being donated are things that can be washed though. There is nothing worse then the Child Life department (the ones that organize all the DVD's, video games, toys, etc) having things that they can't use because of infection control.

I'd bet half of Edmonton's houses are chock full of unused toys etc. that could be donated.

Don't want to miss the opportunity to flog this idea... (see link)

I'd also sent them the idea that when someone died and left a big chunk of their estate to helping sick children - they could have the Stollery bear / Health Foundation bear etched on the donor's grave stone. It would sure make future generations proud.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...onations+debit

Banned

The Stollery Children's Hospital Bear is a copyrighted logo...as is the Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation Bear...the difference being the Hospital is Pink, and the Foundation is Purple (but their logo has their name as a part of it).

Meaning that permission would have to be granted for this to happen...and if it were to be the hospital's bear as opposed to the Foundations, it would also have to be approved, every time, by Public Affairs as it is a logo owned by Capital Health...which means time and money and a lot of political paperwork.

There are also already places within the halls of the Stollery that big donors, whether its estates or not, are recognized for their donations. Units are even named after some donators...Oncology has a Poole name attached to it...the NICU has David Schiff attached to it...Buchanan's are also attached to one of the units...

And all the big donations are recognized at annual Foundation events such as the Snowflake Gala and others...

I know of someone that this happened to about 40+ years ago. Same thing, at the Stollery. Just a 3 year old. Their I.V. came out the vein and was under the skin on the back of the hand. The I.V. meds damaged the connective tissues etc on the back of the hand and caused the fingers to go into a claw like position. Still like that to this day. The I.V. was only out of place for about 2-3 hours. It's awful for that family to have to go through that now with their child. . Totally unnecessary and should be held accountable. Although Stollery hospital does wonderful things everyday this should not go unchecked.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.