Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous lives lived...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Famous lives lived...

This thread is for posting obituaries of famous and semi-famous people who have passed on....
    Last edited by ShermanT; 18-02-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Make title more related to the edited opening post

Evel Knievel dies at 69

MITCH STACY

The Associated Press

November 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM EST

Clearwater, Fla. — Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil whose exploits made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Knievel's death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.

Knievel had undergone a liver transplant in 1999 after nearly dying of hepatitis C, likely contracted through a blood transfusion after one of his bone-shattering spills.

MORE TO COME

The silent killer - Hep C. Poor guy.

I remember Happy Day's episodes that seemed to revole around emulating Evel - quite the cultural icon, loved him as a kid.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter
    I remember Happy Day's episodes that seemed to revole around emulating Evel - quite the cultural icon, loved him as a kid.
    Fonzie's water skiing jump over a shark tank is what spawned the term "jump the shark", which is the point when an entertainment entity goes downhill.

As for who dies next, I predict it will be Amy Winehouse.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Evel Knievel was quite the stuntman during the seventies. I liked him when I was a kid.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2007/...-chevrier.html

Legendary sports broadcaster Don Chevrier passes away

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

CBC Sports

Don Chevrier, a popular sports announcer best known as the original television voice of the Toronto Blue Jays, died on Monday.

He was 69.

Chevrier, who was born in Toronto but lived in Palm Harbor, Fla., suffered from a blood disorder and was recently admitted to hospital before being released a few days later.

Tom McKee, who worked with Chevrier on Blue Jays' telecasts during the club's inaugural season in 1977, spoke with his former broadcast partner this past Saturday before he went into the hospital.

"He was a great broadcaster and a great friend. I'll miss him very much," McKee told CBCSports.ca.

Blue Jays chief executive officer and president Paul Godfrey told CBCSports.ca "it was such an honour to have Chevy as the Blue Jays' first television broadcaster."

"When you really think about the Blue Jays, Don Chevrier being the first on air TV broadcaster was a part of the foundation of the club," said Godfrey, who helped bring the club to Toronto.

"You don't get them any better than Don Chevrier. He had one of the most distinguished and recognized voices in all of broadcasting, never mind sports," added Godfrey.

A legendary figure in Canadian broadcasting circles, Chevrier amazed colleagues and television viewers alike with his unique voice and encyclopaedic knowledge of sports.

Chevrier was expected to work for NBC at the Beijing Olympics this summer.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I could be wrong, but didn't he work for CJCA at one time?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Yes.

On the CTV national news Lloyd Robertson mentioned Don Chevier started his career at CJCA in Edmonton.

Oscar Peterson, 82

ANDREA BAILLIE

The Canadian Press

December 24, 2007 at 6:29 PM EST

TORONTO — Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson, whose flying fingers mesmerized audiences around the world — from dance halls in 1940s Montreal to the lights of Carnegie Hall and beyond — has died at age 82.

He played alongside the giants of jazz: Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Roy Eldridge, Nat King Cole, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington, who once called Peterson the “Maharajah of the keyboard.”

“Until the end, Oscar Peterson could tour the world and fill concert halls everywhere,” said Andre Menard, artistic director and co-founder of the Montreal International Jazz Festival.

“This is something that never diminished. His drawing power, his mystique as a musician, was so big that he remained at the top of his game until the end ... Oscar Peterson has been the musician every musician in the world can look up to and aspire to.”

More here ............
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

Pakistan's Bhutto assassinated

AQAT JAN AND ZARAR KHAN
    Associated Press

December 27, 2007 at 3:11 PM EST

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday by an attacker who shot her after a campaign rally and then blew himself up. Her death stoked new chaos across the nuclear-armed nation, an important U.S. ally in the war on terrorism.

At least 20 others were killed in the attack on the rally for Jan. 8 parliamentary elections where the 54-year-old former prime minister had just spoken.

Angry supporters rioted in the southern port city of Karachi after her killing, firing shots at police, setting tires and cars on fire and burning a gas station. One person was killed north of Karachi in the violent aftermath of the assassination.

At the hospital where Ms. Bhutto died, some supporters smashed glass and wailed, chanting slogans against President Pervez Musharraf. Mr. Musharraf blamed Islamic extremists for her death and said he would redouble his efforts to fight them.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    Pakistan's Bhutto assassinated
    Now that's just bad news.
    Xelebes

Legendary conqueror of Everest dies

By Ray Lilley, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WELLINGTON, N.Z. - Sir Edmund Hillary, the unassuming beekeeper who conquered Mount Everest to win renown as one of the 20th century's greatest adventurers, died Friday.

He was 88. The gangling New Zealander devoted much of his life to aiding the mountain people of Nepal and took his fame in stride, preferring to be called Ed and considering himself an "ordinary person with ordinary qualities."

Hillary died at Auckland Hospital about 9 a.m. local time Friday from a heart attack, said a statement from the Auckland District Health Board. Though ailing in his later years, he remained active.

His life was marked by grand achievements, high adventure, discovery, excitement - but he was especially pround of his decades-long campaign to set up schools and health clinics in Nepal, the homeland of Tenzing Norgay, the mountain guide with whom he stood arm in arm on the summit of Everest on May 29, 1953.

Former chess great Bobby Fischer dead at 64

GUDJON HELGASON

Associated Press

January 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM EST

REYKJAVIK — Bobby Fischer, the reclusive chess genius who became a Cold War icon by dethroning the Soviet world champion in 1972 and later renounced his American citizenship, has died. He was 64.

Mr. Fisher died in a Reykjavik hospital on Thursday, his spokesman, Gardar Sverrisson, said Friday. There was no immediate word on cause of death.

Born in Chicago and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y., Mr. Fischer was wanted in the United States for playing a 1992 rematch against Boris Spassky in Yugoslavia in defiance of international sanctions. In 2005, he moved to Iceland, a chess-mad nation and site of his greatest triumph.

Garry Kasparov, the former Russian chess champion, said Mr. Fischer's ascent in the chess world in the 1960s and his promotion of chess worldwide was "a revolutionary breakthrough" for the game. But Mr. Fischer's reputation as a genius of chess was eclipsed, in the eyes of many, by his idiosyncrasies.

Checkmate!!!

CBC Sports' Don Wittman dies

Don Wittman, synonymous with CBC Sports for nearly a half-century, died early Saturday after a battle with cancer. He was 71.

Wittman passed away in a Winnipeg hospital surrounded by his family.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/...tman-obit.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    CBC Sports' Don Wittman dies

Don Wittman, synonymous with CBC Sports for nearly a half-century, died early Saturday after a battle with cancer. He was 71.

Wittman passed away in a Winnipeg hospital surrounded by his family.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/...tman-obit.html
    I knew that Don wasn't doing well, but I'd always held some hope for his return. Truly a remarkable broadcaster.

From amateur athletics to professional sports, his style and delivery was exemplary at every level. You will be missed Don.

Condolences to the family...

Addicted to C2E

Allan Melvin, 84, died today. He succumbed to cancer.
    He was Sam the Butcher on the Brady Bunch, the voice
    of Magilla Gorilla, Barney on All in the Family, along with
    being in the Phil Silvers Show.
    Yay, summertime!

Addicted to C2E

Suzanne Pleshette, the husky-voiced film and Broadway theatre star best known for her role as Bob Newhart's sardonic wife on television's long-running The Bob Newhart Show, has died at age 70.

Pleshette, who underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006, died of respiratory failure last night at her Los Angeles home, said lawyer and family friend Robert Finkelstein.

The Bob Newhart Show was a hit throughout its six-year run, starred comedian Newhart as a Chicago psychiatrist surrounded by eccentric patients. Pleshette provided the voice of reason.
    Yay, summertime!

Addicted to C2E

Cancer claims New Democrat dynamo Pam Barrett

Fiercely left-wing politician earned respect of staunchest foes
    Mike Sadava, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 9:17 am

EDMONTON - Pam Barrett, a three-term New Democrat member of the Alberta legislature who also served as party leader, died late Monday at age 54, at the Cross Cancer Institute.

Well-known for her left-wing views and the ferocity with which she pursued them, she earned the respect and affection of even her staunchest opponents.

"We didn't have the same political philosophy, but she was firm in her beliefs," said former premier Ralph Klein.

I always had a lot of time for her."

When Klein was headed into the legislature for his farewell tribute in 2006, he sent a car for Ms. Barrett.

"I wanted her there," said Klein.

Ms. Barrett won her first seat in the Alberta legislature in 1986, defeating longtime MLA and powerful cabinet minister Dave King in the riding of Edmonton-Highlands.

She took a hiatus from politics in 1993 after a spider bite caused her hand to swell, which led to the news that her immune system had been weakened by an earlier bout with cancer in 1974, when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma.

From 1993 to 1996, she worked as a radio host and television columnist.

Ms. Barrett became New Democrat leader in 1996 and was elected again in Highlands in 1997 to head a two-member caucus.

She made a quick decision to resign in 2000 following an "out-of-body experience" after a reaction to a dentist's anesthetic.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...26bc1f&k=97674

I knew Pam fairly well. She certainly made her mark in Alberta politics and won't soon be forgotten.

Banned

Heath Ledger

He has been found dead in his Manhatten apartment this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa
    Heath Ledger

that's too sad. i thought he was a really good actor. last movie i saw him on was "Candie" which, curiously enough, he portrays a drug addict on a major life crisis.
    there are rumours of a drug overdose.
    fair winds, Heath, fair winds.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa
    Heath Ledger

that's too sad. i thought he was a really good actor. last movie i saw him on was "Candie" which, curiously enough, he portrays a drug addict on a major life crisis.
    there are rumours of a drug overdose.
    fair winds, Heath, fair winds.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/
    He just finished filming the next Batman movie, playing the Joker.

Too young... RIP Heath.
    Time to grow up.

C2E Posting Power

President Suharto is dead. I'm going to leave it at that.

Indonesia's former president Suharto dead
    Telly Nathalia, Reuters
    Published: 9:16 am

JAKARTA -- Indonesia's former president Suharto, whose legacy of economic development was marred by graft and human rights abuses during his 32 years in power, died on Sunday, aged 86, after suffering multiple organ failure.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...537f5e&k=44820
    Xelebes

Roy Scheider, 75

Actor best known for his role in 'Jaws'

JILL ZEMAN

Associated Press

February 10, 2008

LITTLE ROCK, ARK. — Roy Scheider, a two-time Oscar nominee best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie Jaws, has died. He was 75.

Scheider died Sunday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release a cause of death.

However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years.

He was nominated for a best-supporting actor Oscar in 1971's The French Connection in which he played the police partner of Oscar winner Gene Hackman and for best-actor for 1979's All That Jazz, the autobiographical Bob Fosse film.

However, he was best known for his role in Steven Spielberg's 1975 film, Jaws, the enduring classic about a killer shark terrorizing beachgoers and well as millions of moviegoers.

Widely hailed as the film that launched the era of the Hollywood blockbuster, it was also the first movie to earn $100-million at the box office. Scheider starred with Richard Dreyfuss, who played an oceanographer.

This is the most depressing thread I've ever seen on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    I guess it is depressing only if you think it is.

For me it is a way to look back at the people who have touched our lives in the past. Or, at the very least, bring back a flood of memories (good or bad). It's similar to the 'I Remember When...' thread in that when you read about someone who has passed on and you think, "Oh yeah, I remember that guy".

I've seen similar threads in other forums. Perhaps the title of this thread is a bit too blunt. It is not meant to be some kind of morbid obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    I guess it is depressing only if you think it is.
    I agree - I don't think life would be as precious as it is without death, it is a natural cycle. This thread is a chance to celebrate those whose live's enriched ours.

On other forums I've seen, there'd be a "death pool" happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    On other forums I've seen, there'd be a "death pool" happening.
    I've heard of those. That's not depressing, that's gambling!

Addicted to C2E

From the moment of our birth we race into the arms of the Lord of Death. It is the inevitable conclusion to our birth. Without confronting our mortality we risk wasting our lives with frivioulous activities.

NEW YORK — William F. Buckley Jr., the erudite Ivy Leaguer and conservative herald who showered huge and scornful words on liberalism as he observed, abetted and cheered on the right's post-World War II rise from the fringes to the White House, died Wednesday. He was 82.

Kurt Cobain

Jeff Healey, 41

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Jeff Healey, 41
    Some links...

Sad day. Two Canadian musical legends lost within such a short time frame (Healey and Oscar Peterson).

Mike Smith.. member of Dave Clark Five.
    http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...3SZ10V6CjsPn3Q
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

highlander

Jeff Healey, 41
    Funny, I had Healey's version of 'still my guitar gently weeps' in my head this morning as I waited for the bus, for no other reason than a good mood.

from Sandra Sperounes Edmonton Journal blog.....

Gary McGowan, one of the titans of Edmonton's music scene, passed away on Saturday evening.

He was 50.

McGowan, or "The Hair" as he was known because of his luscious curls, was an instrumental and beloved figure in various facets of the music industry.

Along with Steve Cumming, McGowan was responsible for helping CJSR 88.5 earn its FM signal. He was the program director at K-97 (now K-Rock) in the '80s.

He was one of the founders of B.A.D. Concerts, a local company which brought hundreds of punk and metal acts to town.

He was also one of the co-owners of The Starlite Room, a downtown club which opened in 2004.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

http://communities.canada.com/edmont....aspx#comments

A couple years ago I started this page on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_Edmontonians

Looks like it need updating.

Arthur C. Clark 1917-2008
    Time to grow up.

Actor Charlton Heston, who won an Academy Award in 1959 for his starring role in the film epic Ben-Hur, died Saturday at the age of 84.

He's probably better known as Moses.

Bailey the 'gentle giant' dies at Edmonton-area ranch

Bailey, the eight-year-old pet buffalo who lived on a farm west of Edmonton, often sharing the family living room, has died.

The 725-kilogram animal died Friday after his leg became trapped in the metal bars of a feeder, owner Linda Sautner told CBC News on Tuesday.

Although they were able to free Bailey quickly, he could not get back on his feet, and died as a result of pressure on his heart and lungs, Sautner said.

While most buffalo turn aggressive by the time they are one year old, Bailey was abandoned by his mother and hand-fed from a bottle, giving him a mellow temperament, and earning him the nickname "gentle giant."

He spent most of his time outdoors, but often squeezed through the doors of the Sautner home to lounge with the family.

Bailey had become something of a celebrity, appearing in numerous stories around the world and even being allowed to stay in Edmonton's Westin Hotel.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...iley-dies.html

Banned

^ my god what are the people of the "country market" in Stony Plain going to use as a draw now that Bailey is dead? Oh wait, I suppose they could get some good produce people and the like in...

R.I.P to the great bluesman, Bo Diddley. The Originator.

Harvey Korman

Sydney Pollack

Jim McKay of ABC Sports.

George Carlin, 71, of heart failure. One of the best comedians ever.

George Carlin, 71, of heart failure. One of the best comedians ever.
    No way. Didn't he do a concert in Edmonton the past year?

Yes he did. BTW, his famous "Seven Dirty Worlds" can't be used on C2E either!

Isaac Hayes aka Chef, 65.

Bernie Mac

Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright, 65

This is the opportunity for K-97 to play Pink Floyd tunes all night long. So far they have only played Time in the past 3 hours, but I bet it was part of their rotation.

What better way to pay tribute to an original member of Floyd by playing the whole Dark Side of the Moon album or Wish You Were Here?

^ I think they'd only do that for an even bigger name like Keith Richards, who should have died years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    This is the opportunity for K-97 to play Pink Floyd tunes all night long. So far they have only played Time in the past 3 hours, but I bet it was part of their rotation.

What better way to pay tribute to an original member of Floyd by playing the whole Dark Side of the Moon album or Wish You Were Here?
    I think a far better way to pay tribute is to play the Pink Floyd stuff you don't hear often, like Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Animals and so on. I've liked Pink Floyd since I first heard Mother when I was about 11 years old driving with the family to Banff, but only recently have I come to realize just how much great music they made (and how bad some of the very early stuff is ), and yet you rarely hear anything outside of the half dozen or so hits the rock stations have on regular rotation.

See? This is what I don't get. This is so typical of radio to play only the hits of any given artist. Over a career, any artist is going to have a percentage of not-so-good stuff in his/her catalogue, yet so much really good music does get bypassed in favour of the 'hits' (popularity is no guarantee of quality).

Of course, radio stations pass this off with some glib mutterings about hits being the only thing that people want to listen to. Really? We've been fed this steady diet of same old, same old for so long now that generations have grown up thinking that the 'hits' are the only records that have ever been released. The way commercial radio stations are, you'd think that only 150 or so records had ever been released over the past 50 years. Thank goodness for CKUA. Sorry to have slid away from the intent of this thread, but this sort of thing 'gets my goat'.

How I wish......

Ron Lancaster

Paul Newman, 83

Here's a pic of Paul Newman I shot at the '05 Champ Car race in Edmonton.

Media magnate Ted Rogers, 75.

I wonder if Rogers Communications is offering unlimited phone calls today?

No mention of writer, Micheal Crichton.

Bettie Page, 85

There's a good article on the CBC website worth reading....

Link -> Bettie Page and the Legacy of the Pinup Girl

I always think of Kimberly Carrol of Wired from the old A-Channel days whenever I see Bettie Page.

Majel Barrett aka First Lady of Star Trek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majel_Barrett

American film and television actor Van Johnson passed away on Dec. 12. Born Charles Van Johnson in Rhode Island, he grew up and became interested in entertainment, moving up to New York to try his luck. He gained a few parts on Broadway and was noticed by Warner Bros. in "Pal Joey" in 1940, whereby they offered him a six-month contract. After WB let him go, friend Lucille Ball got him noticed by MGM where his career really took off. After a nearly-fatal accident left him with a metal plate in his head, he was disqualified for war service but did his part by playing in war films such as "A Guy Named Joe," and "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo." Additionally he was in comedies, musicals, and dramas such as "The Caine Mutiny." His film career tapered-off in the 50s and 60s and he returned to stage in such productions as "The Music Man," "Guys and Dolls," and "Bye Bye Birdie." His last film was in 1992.

Singer, actress, and Catwoman,
    Eartha Kitt, 81

Known somewhat ironically for the song Santa Baby.

Ricardo Montalban, 88

KHAAANNN!!!!

^ Mr. Rourke ... De plane, De plane.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Patrick McGoohan, creator and star of "The Prisoner", a cult classic. He was 80.

AMC is remaking The Prisoner with Jim Caviezel in McGoohan's role as Number Six, and Ian McKellen as Number Two -- it's supposed to debut sometime this year.

Victims of Violence group founder dies

Tue, February 10, 2009

By KATHLEEN HARRIS, NATIONAL BUREAU CHIEF (Sun Media)

OTTAWA -- Gary Rosenfeldt, who turned his family's hellish tragedy into a tireless crusade for victims' rights, has died.

Called a "pioneer" and "hero," the 67-year-old Ottawa man died Sunday after a battle with cancer.

Rosenfeldt founded the advocacy organization Victims of Violence with his wife Sharon after their 16-year-old son Daryn was killed by serial child killer Clifford Olson.

The couple's nightmare ordeal with Canada's criminal justice system fuelled their fight to help others, pressing policy makers for tougher penalties and parole provisions and a louder voice for victims in the legal process.

Steve Sullivan, Canada's first federal ombudsman for victims of crime, paid tribute to Rosenfeldt's unwavering commitment to balancing the scales of justice.

"Gary and his wife Sharon are two of the pioneers of the victims' rights movement in Canada.

"If not for them, Canada may not have many of the laws and policies that exist for victims today," Sullivan said.

"Whether it is the Criminal Code, Corrections and Conditional Release Act, or just the changes in attitudes at CSC (Correctional Service of Canada) or the National Parole Board, a lot of the progress can be traced back to Gary.

cont...http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Cana...f-8331781.html
    Canadians are grateful to Mr. Rosenfeldt for providing a voice for the victims of violence. He and his wife turned a very tragic event to better the lives of others.

My prayers to the Rosenfeldt family.

Wonderful singer, she'll be missed.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Paul Harvey dies at 90

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,502645,00.html

And now you know the rest of the story.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Such a sad story.

Former NHLer Poddubny dies suddenly

Former NHL player Walt Poddubny died suddenly at home in Thunder Bay, Ont., on Saturday at age 49.

The cause of death is unknown, but a source close to the family said Poddubny had collapsed during the late-morning hours at his sister's house, where he was living.

Drafted 90th overall by the Edmonton Oilers in 1980, Poddubny played 11 NHL seasons with stops in Edmonton, Toronto, New York (Rangers), Quebec and New Jersey. He amassed 184 goals and 238 assists in 468 games and topped the 30-goal mark three times.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...ubny-dies.html

^ Nothing on the Oilers website yet.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4324

He played 2 years on the Oilers farm team in Wichita and a total of 4 NHL games with the Oilers before being traded to Toronto in 1981.

Former Edmonton Mayor Ivor Dent is being remembered by some as the driving force behind bringing the Commonwealth Games to our city in 1978.

Ivor Dent passed away on the weekend after a long illness.

He was 85.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1077465

Joe Bird passes away at 41. I saw him last at City Hall during an event and he was as kooky as ever. Remember him from Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie. Sad that he died so young.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Enter...614/story.html
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Bea Arthur aka Maude, 86

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Awe, that's sad... She always managed to make me smile.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0...report_us_kemp

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Jack Kemp, a star football quarterback who became a congressman, U.S. Cabinet secretary and Republican vice presidential nominee, died on Saturday at age 73.
    His son Jimmy was a quarterback for the Eskimos in 1998.

Dom-Deluise has died. He was a funny guy.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/05/05/dom-deluise-dies/

VIDEO with Johnny Carson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRduPZvIm08

David Carradine, 72
    Wasn't he in town just recently for some promotion at Prohibition?

^ And no, it wasn't from the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique

Ed McMahon, 86

^ whoa, that's a good one. Who gets his house now?

Farrah Fawcett, 62

whoa.

Farrah Fawcett, 62
    I was one of those who bought her famous poster. Man, she was gorgeous! Sad news indeed. I wonder if she and Ryan Oneill were able to marry before she passed?

Another recent passing, less famous but significant for me, was original Ventures guitarist Bob Bogle. He wasn't the lead guitarist, but played great. Like many, many other guitar players of a certain age, I got my start playing along with Ventures records. They were regarded as kind of cheesy, but a listen to their Live In Japan '66 recording shows how they could really tear it up.

They could have been the poster child for "big in Japan". I think they sold nearly 100 Million albums/CD's there!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Greg Geraldo's line on the Comedy Central's Roast of Shatner regarding Fawcett was wicked. "that poster of yours caused more DNA to be spilled than a crime lab technician with Parkinson’s"

Michael Jackson, 50
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 25-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.

^sounds like it... unreal
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast