Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,183 of 1183

Thread: TV commercials that make me reach for the mute button

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Royale toilet paper commercial with the girl who has to go to the bathroom six times.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The current Shaw 'Free Range TV' spot where the 'Magic Chicken" loads a cartoon on the kids tablet. The kid thanks the magic chicken and the mother turns to her husband and says that the kid is weird. What a wonderful example of parenthood.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Expedia has now brought back the 1000 beach old guy aka Jim Morrison
    His "Beach Thoughts" spots are kinda lame.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The H&R Block tax commercials with the awful lyrics to that old cover song.

All the recent Tim Horton's commercials.

The Twisted Kilt one where the guys seem like they've never been touched by a woman before. It's just sad.

Expedia has expanded the beach bum character narrative, uggh.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

How about The Brick, with Michael Bell yelling at folks in the boardroom? Or the Sherwood Park dealership ads with Robin Hood and his merry men?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

How about The Brick, with Michael Bell yelling at folks in the boardroom? Or the Sherwood Park dealership ads with Robin Hood and his merry men?
    Ding...Ding...Ding we have today's winner.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Which one - Brick or Sherwood?

I like the Sherwood Honda commercial, except that they are terrible actors. The Brick on the other hand is obnoxious.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

TV ads for the Annie musical. I'm sorry but I cannot stand "It's a Hard Knock Life"

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Global's spots for Big Brother Canada has to be the most obnoxious TV ads right now.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yep. Those particular commercials do nothing but remind me why I DON'T watch Big Brother...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The IHOP commercial at the LRT stations drives me crazy.

"Kids want their wildhood back," gag.

The new Mazda commercial where a couple crash a wedding and then race away with the bouquet. No seat belts, racing and violating traffic rules.

The car companies market their cars by making bad examples to young people of what they can do on the road that is dangerous.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

puppymonkeybaby

The nose blind commercials are getting old. Doesn't anyone do focus groups anymore?

The floating talking heads with the yellow collars. So bad I can't remember what they're flogging.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The Juicy Fruit Gum ad. Two guys in a changing room making farting sounds with their armpits. WTF does it have to do with gum?.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

And they're cops. Professionals. Half naked cops. Some writer either lost their job or was promoted. Gah

^Somebody should be shot.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Whenever I see that guy in the brown sports jacket raving about Chiropractors . . . MUTE!!!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Little man...you know the one. MUTE!

Commercial comes on, I mute period.

'fix my broken wings' like seriously honey nut cheerios you spamming that ad every other tv ad makes me wanna kill more bees.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Getting really sick of that Amazon Prime ad with that woman's miniature horse and Sony & Cher's "Little Man" song.

^ Only for Cher's incredibly grating intonation.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^^ Looks like they have brought back the "Wandering Star" ad to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The Juicy Fruit Gum ad. Two guys in a changing room making farting sounds with their armpits. WTF does it have to do with gum?.
    You did remember the ad and the brand of gum they are selling. You are also talking about it on another medium.

In ad terms, mission accomplished!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^Yes I do remember the ad but only in the content that it makes me not want to buy the product. Mission maybe accomplished but not as intended.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

That Calaway Park ad they've been running for the past 3 summers or so, just because that teenage girl's high-pitched squeaky voiceover.

I know I'm going to get eviscerated for this...

...but the government's climate change commercial is now one I mute. It is run too often...and is poorly done IMO. Pandering is probably the best word...but what government ad in the last 30 years isn't I guess...
    Onward and upward

C2E Bandwidth Hog

New mutable ad is Kia with the flash mob of humans and squirrels playing "Duelling Banjos" in that park. What that has to do with cars, I have no idea.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I know I'm going to get eviscerated for this...

...but the government's climate change commercial is now one I mute. It is run too often...and is poorly done IMO. Pandering is probably the best word...but what government ad in the last 30 years isn't I guess...

I hate the ad because the carbon tax is bad idea that is initiated at the worst possible time.

^ It's promoting a tax grab. Previous channel is my friend when that ad comes on.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

H&M back to school ad with the hip-hop dancing little kids

Economy goes to sh1t and the pawn shop commercials come out in full force.

Now, we have the Pawn Princess for Cash Canada. It just doesn't get any better than this, folks.

Water and Wires. Actually, the second part of that tandem ad. with that 'poetry'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

One thing you wont see in pawn shops are any ios devices. About a year ago I checked around town, the cash Canada on 107th and 124th, Uncle Eds by the Law courts, and that one about 111th and 107th. Next attempt will be Kijiji

Well given that barring user error a stolen iOS device isn't easily usable (thanks to ubiquitous TouchID) one of the main supply chains for pawn shops is cut off. Plus people hold onto their iOS devices longer, further lowering turnover & with iOS devices consistently being at or near the top in customer demand & satisfaction means the ones that do come in are likely not long on the shelf.

E: Plus there's the multitude of services that'll buy your iOS device for more than the standard pawnshop profiteering rate.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Where aliens(?) have a dance party when they taste candy.

That one for Tangerine Bank.... LEFT,RIGHT ,LEFT RIGHT with people making out in the back seat. Still can't figure the connection with banking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemu4VPBJDQ
    Last edited by Barry N; 06-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.

^^^ I doubt any pawn shop would take a ios device that has a locked pass code anyway. We already have a iPad 2 and a 5th Gen iPod Touch. I'm testing the music production waters, and looking at the ios platform for music production and video editing. My wife occupies the iPad and I can't do much with the iPod Touch (email Internet is about all) which is why I was looking around city pawn shops for a ios device. The iPad has several generations behind it already. I agree with your assessment that these items wouldn't stay on the shelves of any pawn shop for long. I'll be on full pension next year and by then I'll pick up the iPad mini 4 64 bit/gb. There's lots of old ios music apps I missed still out there but many of the new ones will only work on 64 bit devices, like the new updated Garageband. Lots of the old apps have had recent updates that use Audiobus and Audioshare.
    Last edited by envaneo; 06-10-2016 at 01:50 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Ads that currently raise my blood pressure:

Encore by EPCOR - please God, make the lame poetry stop

Petsmart - the one with the "Give It To Me I'm Worth It" song; the goofy hipster couple baby-talking their dog as they walk to the market; I am getting kinda sick of that Queen song they play in most of their ads

Halloween costume ads by annual offenders Value Village and Party City

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trash it, don't splash it.

"And the Toilet exploded the very next day!"

For the rare times that I don't skip commercials altogether I would have to nominate the wireless company (Bell?) that tries to compare various irrelevant things to wireless strength or something by asking (paraphrasing heavily here) "What does your wireless carrier have to do with ______?" to which I feel compelled to answer "F*ck all!".
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

The noise cancellation car ad. "See you in the morning kiddo."

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Expedia has brought Jim Morrison aka thousand beaches guy back into heavy rotation, probably all winter.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

A new year, a new round of mutable ads on the TV:

A pair of Freedom Mobile ads, each featuring an annoying talking teddy bear mascot and a young person strumming the same guitar note over and over and singing horribly (whoah oh oh...). Though the girl in these ads is hot.

The quit smoking ad with the guy talking to his dog. Smart doggie - every time I listen to that guy I also get up and walk away!

Those Boxing Day Brick ads with Michael Bell are endless - I think this Boxing Day sale is happening until next Christmas. Make. It. Stop!

Expedia has brought Jim Morrison aka thousand beaches guy back into heavy rotation, probably all winter.
    Now they have this guy being philosophical, uggh. I mute this commercial faster then the annoying bear.

I hate that Fabreeze ad when the mother goes into her son's room and says 'it stinks in hear' then starts to spray Fabreeze over everything to mask the stink. Clean the room properly you lazy mare.

I hate that Fabreeze ad when the mother goes into her son's room and says 'it stinks in hear' then starts to spray Fabreeze over everything to mask the stink. Clean the room properly you lazy mare.
    Settle an argument for me. Did they re-shoot/re-cast that commercial? I swear it was different just last year. my wife thinks I'm crazy.

**Edit** Vindicated! Google backs me up. I hate that commercial (both versions). The dub is off and it drives me nuts.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 06-01-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Acorn stairlift. I wonder if any of them are still alive. It's been on a long time.

LOL! too funny

It's because his friends are on their way over and they have no time supposedly.

That's womens' work!
    A small town is a vast hell. —Argentinean proverb

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did someone take my bike? Did someone take my...

Bell lets talk adverts, uggh.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The two guys arguing if the Big Mac with Bacon is still a Big Mac. They definitely remind me of some C2E members.

^ +1

And TV's most irritating 15 seconds: COLD BEER . . . OPEN LATE!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Along with the horn blowing casino one. My god.

The Paul Henderson, Lanny Mcdonald etc hockey goals add is starting to annoy me. Initially loved the series of adds in depicting this bit of cherished hockey Canadiana.

Until I realized the series got stuck on Orr, Henderson, and lol Lanny McDonald. No Oilers great goals ever I guess. Instead we get a pedestrian Lanny McDonald goal emulated as is it was spectacular as epiphany for the Calgary Flames one win dynasty..

I can't load enough sarcasm in this post. Lanny McDonald, Flames? seriously? Is Johnny Hockey next?

Now aside from that my favorite illogical commercials is where they advertise a medicine for horrid bad breath that might cause strokes, convulsions, seizures, Cardio Pulmonary arrest, instant death, but your breath will be fine after you are pumped with formaldehyde..

I can't comprehend how people buy or use any of these meds after listening to these side effects all of which are worse than the conditions allegedly requiring a cure. In all instances these are elective medications. Its uncanny people take this ****.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Watching those kids doing their hockey heroics and knowing that they have never even heard of any of these players doesn't help. Seems so foolish and false.

The US channels are really bad for the meds commercials. With the blessings of the FDA of course.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ +1

When Top_Dawg saw this last night during the second period he pictured howie blasting his monitor into a million pieces with his Colt .45

^ +1

I actually don't mind that one as much as it correctly signals the end of the commercial string and so is a positive moment. Depending on the game..

Myself, with a PVR I just channel surf during commercials and then go back to the game and rewind. Usually I watch a game with a buffer long enough that I can just FF through the commercials and sometimes even intermissions. Just usually start watching the game half an hour late to do this. I rarely watch the commercials.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Don't you guys have commercial or 30-second skip?

Yeah, but Top_Dawg caught the second period at Westmount BP's Lounge.

And they play the volume full blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Hmm . . . is that feature hidden in the gizzards of my remote? Do tell. I'd be a heavy user.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ^ +1

When Top_Dawg saw this last night during the second period he pictured howie blasting his monitor into a million pieces with his Colt .45
    LOL! No, no hardware. Only my finest selection of Anglo-Saxon colloquialisms.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Hmm . . . is that feature hidden in the gizzards of my remote? Do tell. I'd be a heavy user.
    I believe there is a skip button on most remotes but this involves things that have been PVRed or backed up. You can't skip when you are watching in realtime.

I'd be doing that all the time for sports select picks.. haha

Oh, also, I don't like Mondays, skip....

I thought consumer DVRs had skip-forward/back at least.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The purpose of this thread is to critique and mock bad TV ads, not on technology to skip them. Please start your own thread on PVR and all that.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 01-02-2017 at 02:24 PM.

The purpose of this thread is to critique and mock bad TV ads, not on technology to skip them. Please start your own thread on PVR and all that.
    lol

Talk about being a messageboard cop.

A slight, very slight deviation from a discussion on commercials to a very related sidebar on how to avoid them is too much for you in the context of a Connect2Edmonton board in which even this topic is then rendered arguably OT by your same logic....

There should be a 2nd topic on blocking/avoiding commercials?!?

my lord

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    lol

Talk about being a messageboard cop.

A slight, very slight deviation from a discussion on commercials to a very related sidebar on how to avoid them is too much for you in the context of a Connect2Edmonton board in which even this topic is then rendered arguably OT by your same logic....

There should be a 2nd topic on blocking/avoiding commercials?!?

my lord
    Post #1:
    "Thread: TV commercials that make me reach for the mute button"
    Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    AARGHH! That terrible Best Buy commercial "We're looking for the 'you're the best dad ever' " is back this year.

The OP's subject wording seems to me to clearly reference the desirability of technological solutions. No mention that the"purpose of this thread is to critique and mock bad TV ads". In fact, I don't see an invitation in the subject matter for others to even post their own commercials as it says: "TV commercials that make me reach..." Clearly we need an intervention here by 24karat.
    Last edited by KC; 01-02-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Oh c'mon, SDM is correct, this thread is for kvetching about the ones that people want to mute, nothing else. I was wrong to drift it.

Thanks KC. Being that 24Karat hasn't even posted on this incarnation of the board, or this year, and its a given that a thread on reaching the mute button can safely contain options on avoiding commercials as well as commenting on them.

Yes, you could say you interrupted the bitching to make a "public service announcement".

Any of those Febreeze ads. Man nothing says lazy like just using that stuff to spray bomb the room to make it smell clean. It does not work, what does work is household cleaners and water and good old elbow grease.

Ha! Maybe I should apologise for "drifting" off into a sliver of technology but . . . Nah.

Anyway, another ad currently jarring the ears is for Hyundai. A blue SUV romping about in the snow to a soundtrack of someone posing as a singer who, in reality, should never be allowed in the same room as a microphone. Where DO they get these people?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112