18 25.71%
  • I hate the time change, we should stay on standard time (GMT-7) year round

21 30.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daylight savings time

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Something even the conservatives can get behind!

Alberta NDP looking at abolishing Daylight Saving Time
    I want DST all year round - not canceled.
    I want standard time all year round so there's something for everybody, including us who would like a few weeks where we can have backyard fires with the kids without staying up all night.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

so with the proposed change it would stay brighter for longer in winter? Id much rather have that

That's the idea:

[On the final day of the fall sitting of the legislature on Tuesday, Starke presented a petition calling for the repeal of the Daylight Saving Time Act and for the province to move to central time throughout the year.
    That would put Alberta on the same time as Saskatchewan — which doesn’t observe the time change — and leave the province on daylight time, with additional light at the end of the day, all year round.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    That's the idea:

[On the final day of the fall sitting of the legislature on Tuesday, Starke presented a petition calling for the repeal of the Daylight Saving Time Act and for the province to move to central time throughout the year.
    That would put Alberta on the same time as Saskatchewan — which doesn’t observe the time change — and leave the province on daylight time, with additional light at the end of the day, all year round.
    It should be noted that was the suggestion from a PC MLA. There is not government bill yet so we don't know what decision they would make. Starke also wants a referendum on it.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Less light on the summer evenings would make for a better night life and we could reintroduce the drive in theatre

C2E SME

Who wants the sun to rise at 4:00 am?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I wouldn't mind MST year round but what's with this CST thing?

I find the current DST cutoffs to be much more jarring than the prior ones, and being someone who always has a residence (and work from home) facing south I notice the movement of the sun over the day and year A LOT.

By the November cutoff the sun is already setting pretty late and then suddenly within 24 hours it's pitch-black dark at the same hour, rather then just truncating the sunset by an hour. Wham! it's dark when my body doesn't feel like it should be.

Similarly, the March cutoff suddenly turns sunset into day for an extra hour, about when I'm totally used to watching the end of the NHL regular season (the best part imo) starting around 6pm, and Wham! my body says it's still day when I'm about to turn on the TV.

And when I look at the position of the earth around the sun it makes sense: the earth is accelerating toward the sun much more in November than at the old cutoff, and although decelerating in March it's still screaming through space after zipping around the sun more than it was weeks later with the old cutoff.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ The Earth's orbital speed is nearly constant, it only speeds up by a few % near perihelion (at the beginning of January) compared with aphelion (at the beginning of July). You may be thinking of the rate of change of the angle between the Earth's rotation axis and the plane perpendicular to the Earth-Sun line (and thus the rate of change of the length of the day). That is greatest near the equinoxes and smallest near the solstices.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I want standard time all year round so there's something for everybody, including us who would like a few weeks where we can have backyard fires with the kids without staying up all night.
    You do have a few weeks of relatively early sunsets and reasonably warm temperatures, in late August and September.

There would be downsides to both year-round CST (-6) and year round MST (-7). With -6 the sun wouldn't rise until almost 10:00 am in late December, and with -7 the sun would rise at 4:00 am in early summer.
    The problem isn't the time change, it is the timing of the time change, particularly the switch to -7 being delayed to November, well past the point when there is no extra morning daylight left to "save" by transferring it to the evening.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Daylight saving time pioneers oppose move to scrap twice-yearly clock shift in Alberta
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...ift-in-alberta

The article also goes through the history of the DST debate.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Daylight time is an effective way of adjusting our schedules to match the sun, but having nearly 8 months of daylight time and only 4 months of standard time is ridiculous. In Europe daylight time ends in late October and doesn't start again until the end of March. In Australia it starts at the beginning of October (equivalent to the beginning of April in the northern hemisphere) and ends at the beginning of April (equivalent to the beginning of October in the northern hemisphere). The idea is good, but the schedule is wacky.

Daylight saving time has not worked for me

I went to the bank in December and asked to withdraw some daylight from the saving account and the teller would not give me the time of day...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^still funny after all these years. Thanks

One to make your day

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-03-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Daylight saving time pioneers oppose move to scrap twice-yearly clock shift in Alberta
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...ift-in-alberta

The article also goes through the history of the DST debate.
    One thing the article is assuming is that we'd lose an hour of daylight in the evening in the summer.

From Global News

Quote Originally Posted by Global News
    The question Dang is considering is if Alberta should join Central Time, like Saskatchewan, or stay on Mountain time and not move clocks forward in the spring.
    I like the idea of staying on Central Time myself. It would allow us to keep the lovely long evenings in the summer for recreation activities. Animal farmers don't care which way we go, as long as we stay steady. Grain farmer's who work outside the farm would likely prefer Central Time, as it would allow them to keep the late summer hours to do field work and harvesting after their day jobs. It would also extend what little sunlight we have further into the evening in the winter, and return it to us earlier in the spring. Early morning golfers would lose some tea times, but I think most people would rather do it in the evening anyways.

In addition, going to Central Time would allow plenty of time to implement this change in administrative and computerized systems. We'd have until November to let everyone know we're not changing the clock.

Just my two cents
    Last edited by Ustauk; 09-03-2017 at 09:25 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ agreed. I'd like to stay on Central time and not go back

I like it when once a year in the fall, the time falls back and we gain an hour and can sleep one hour extra.

We should do that every night.

I would be for staying on Mountain Standard but not going to Central

I just don't need and can't use an extra hour of sunlight at starting 4 am! *

I'd could use it starting at 9 pm though.

So I'm for importing SaskTime or just keeping DST all year to avoid time changes.

* longest day... But get the point?

In the morning I ****, shower, shave, eat breakfast, drive to work related things. I just don't appreciate early sunrises most of the time. Plus it's often cold and frosty out in the morning.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the evenings means I'm likely using it for recreational time, not afraid of kids being out in the dark, roads are sometimes safer when hauling the family around, etc.
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2017 at 09:14 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I would be for staying on Mountain Standard but not going to Central
    GMT -7 all year. If we change anything, just leave it at that. Agreed

Or just leave it alone. This is not important
    Onward and upward

Good summer weather is often in short supply here, so we should maximize its potential for the most people. Adopt Central Time.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

How does that make sense? If you want more light...get up earlier or stay up later. Fun fact...that's what people are doing anyway.
    Onward and upward

So I'm for importing SaskTime or just keeping DST all year to avoid time changes.

In the morning I ****, shower, shave, eat breakfast, drive to work related things. I just don't appreciate early sunrises most of the time. Plus it's often cold and frosty out in the morning.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the evenings means I'm likely using it for recreational time, not afraid of kids being out in the dark, roads are sometimes safer when hauling the family around, etc.
    Spells out what I think. The daylight hours mean nothing to me while I'm at work. having an extra hour of daylight in evenings is what its all about. Having dusk at 11 in the summer is awesome. That said would just have DST all year round. Would like having sunset 1hr later in winter too. Nothing worse than dark at 4pm...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I have to solve the problem of dark mornings for part of the year anyway. So this year I bought one of those lamps that simulate sunrise. It makes a tremendous difference so that part is covered. Aside from that it would be nicer if I had a chance to see the sun as much as possible when I leave work for as much of the year as possible. I don't have natural daylight in my cubicle and the sudden shift in the late Autumn sends me into something of a downward spiral mood-wise.

So I would vote for DST year round.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've always thought the spring forward would be easier to swallow if it was moved to a Friday afternoon, then people can leave work early for the weekend! And I used to like the fall back when I was younger because it meant an extra hour of drinking at the club.

In any case, keeping or abolishing the time change doesn't make a whit of difference to me since adjusting my sleeping habits doesn't take me that long (probably due to a relatively healthy lifestyle). I've lost or gained way more hours when I've traveled and that has rarely hampered me. I've always thought the growing backlash towards the time changing was just a symptom of the increase in the over-pampered first-world whinging in our society. The mainstream media doesn't help matters with the sensationalizing of its effects.

If they abolish it, I would rather keep the DST all year due to the longer summer nights. Given that our summers can be so short - the more summer we can enjoy, the better. Only drawbacks would be the dark winter mornings and a 2-hour time difference in BC. Not just the travel - if you're working in Alberta but have clients in BC then that will be of greater inconvenience than the status quo.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Spells out what I think. The daylight hours mean nothing to me while I'm at work. having an extra hour of daylight in evenings is what its all about. Having dusk at 11 in the summer is awesome. That said would just have DST all year round. Would like having sunset 1hr later in winter too. Nothing worse than dark at 4pm...

... Except dark at 9:00 AM. Having my alarm go off before sunrise in the winter is bad enough. Not seeing the sun at all before work would be awful. I can handle dark evenings, but dark mornings are brutal. With less than 8 hours of daylight in December you are going to be out in the dark at some point, and I'd rather that be after I have had a chance to wake up instead of when I feel like I should still be in bed. I think changing the clocks to adjust our schedules to more closely match sunrise is a good idea, but if I had to pick one or the other it would be mountain standard time (GMT-7).

My first preference is for the status quo. An hour longer of daylight in the mornings during the darkest months of the year is better especially for school age children than an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon. And I absolutely love the long sunlit evenings DST allows for outdoor activities.

My second preference would be to move to Central Standard Time year-round.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post

... Except dark at 9:00 AM. Having my alarm go off before sunrise in the winter is bad enough. Not seeing the sun at all before work would be awful. I can handle dark evenings, but dark mornings are brutal. With less than 8 hours of daylight in December you are going to be out in the dark at some point, and I'd rather that be after I have had a chance to wake up instead of when I feel like I should still be in bed. I think changing the clocks to adjust our schedules to more closely match sunrise is a good idea, but if I had to pick one or the other it would be mountain standard time (GMT-7).
    I figure we already handle dark mornings in the winter and adding to that time span some more days wouldn't bother me all that much because I want light when I can use it the most personally and that's when I'm outside the most and that's during the summer. The winter more afternoon on evening light would help me with skating outdoors, shovelling snow and other activities on the weekend. Central time wouldn't affect me much.

Similarly I prefer to take my vacation time in the summer and I spend more time outdoors in the summer evenings so I like the idea of DST or Central Time.

In my life Ive worked shift work and rotating / swing shifts (two afts, two nights, one day with separated days off), double shifts, two full time jobs, long long hours, early shifts (7am start) late start (10:30 am) and sometimes the odd trips to the airport early in the morning. I've adjusted to all of those. However, I like long sunny evenings throughout the summer and I don't appreciate the sun rising from 5am to even 6am and I sure wouldn't value sunrises between 4and 5 am.
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Hmmm 8:30 already. Only feels like 7:30 for some reason.

DST and hangover. Hmmm, I didn't plan this out too well...

At least its still Sunday. Oh, and a little reprieve from colder than normal temps out there.

If I can get my head around the idea would be a great day for snowshoeing.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's 1.40 p.m. and I'm still in my p.j's
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

The ones with the bunny feet?

^Heck no, there a bit more fetching than that although the pants are rather baggy.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Just wondering how people feel the first day back at work or school after DST begins.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I feel like I'm crawling out of a giant pothole nwg.

Nobody reported missing or injured.

I guess that all the reports of the sky falling were overblown. Let's do it again in 6 months but just to shake things up, let's try putting the clock back one hour and see how that works.

Why change it, a couple of groggy days is better than the game you want to watch is on an hour earlier than it was last week. Ending or keeping DST needs to be continent wide not just Alberta.

It's still light outside. Nice!

It's still light outside. Nice!
    It got darker and colder as soon as the Oilers lost and people had to go find their cars. At least its not the old wandering in the dark in the Northlands parking lot. But what a dismal DST experience for those unfortunate enough to have gone to the game. Dark inside the rink, dark and cold outside.

Instead of DST, can we just eliminate Monday mornings?

All in favor, say Aye.

For those advocating for year-round daylight time, consider that had the time zone boundaries been drawn strictly midway between the central meridians of each zone there would be a boundary just west of Vegreville, and Edmonton and Calgary would be in the pacific time zone (-8 ) with Vancouver. This means that even -7 is already redistributing some daylight from morning to evening.

Here is when local solar noon occurs in a selection of Canadian cities. Notice that by staying on the same time year round Saskatchewan is basically splitting the difference between daylight and standard time compared to Alberta or Manitoba, and how only Thunder Bay keeps its clocks more out of sync with the sun than we do:

Vancouver: 12:12 PST / 1:12 PDT
    Calgary: 12:36 MST / 1:36 MDT
    Edmonton: 12:34 MST / 1:34 MDT
    Saskatoon: 1:06 CST
    Regina: 12:58 CST
    Winnipeg: 12:28 CST / 1:28 CDT
    Thunder Bay: 12:56 EST / 1:56 EDT
    Toronto: 12:17 EST / 1:17 EDT
    Ottawa: 12:03 EST / 1:03 EDT
    Montreal: 11:54 EST / 12:54 EDT
    Quebec: 11:45 EST / 12:45 EDT
    Halifax: 12:14 AST / 1:14 ADT
    St John's: 12:01 NST / 1:01 NDT

Here are the times of the latest sunrise of the year. Do we really want to wait another hour?:

Vancouver: 8:07 PST
    Grande Prairie: 9:20 MST
    Calgary: 8:39 MST
    Edmonton: 8:50 MST
    Fort McMurray: 9:01 MST
    Saskatoon: 9:15 CST
    Regina: 8:58 CST
    Winnipeg: 8:26 CST
    Thunder Bay: 8:48 EST
    Toronto: 7:51 EST
    Ottawa: 7:42 EST
    Montreal: 7:34 EST
    Quebec: 7:30 EST
    Halifax: 7:51 AST
    St Johns: 7:48 NST

For those advocating for year-round daylight time, consider that had the time zone boundaries been drawn strictly midway between the central meridians of each zone there would be a boundary just west of Vegreville, and Edmonton and Calgary would be in the pacific time zone (-8 ) with Vancouver. This means that even -7 is already redistributing some daylight from morning to evening.

Here is when local solar noon occurs in a selection of Canadian cities. Notice that by staying on the same time year round Saskatchewan is basically splitting the difference between daylight and standard time compared to Alberta or Manitoba, and how only Thunder Bay keeps its clocks more out of sync with the sun than we do:

Vancouver: 12:12 PST / 1:12 PDT
    Calgary: 12:36 MST / 1:36 MDT
    Edmonton: 12:34 MST / 1:34 MDT
    Saskatoon: 1:06 CST
    Regina: 12:58 CST
    Winnipeg: 12:28 CST / 1:28 CDT
    Thunder Bay: 12:56 EST / 1:56 EDT
    Toronto: 12:17 EST / 1:17 EDT
    Ottawa: 12:03 EST / 1:03 EDT
    Montreal: 11:54 EST / 12:54 EDT
    Quebec: 11:45 EST / 12:45 EDT
    Halifax: 12:14 AST / 1:14 ADT
    St John's: 12:01 NST / 1:01 NDT

Here are the times of the latest sunrise of the year. Do we really want to wait another hour?:

Vancouver: 8:07 PST
    Grande Prairie: 9:20 MST
    Calgary: 8:39 MST
    Edmonton: 8:50 MST
    Fort McMurray: 9:01 MST
    Saskatoon: 9:15 CST
    Regina: 8:58 CST
    Winnipeg: 8:26 CST
    Thunder Bay: 8:48 EST
    Toronto: 7:51 EST
    Ottawa: 7:42 EST
    Montreal: 7:34 EST
    Quebec: 7:30 EST
    Halifax: 7:51 AST
    St Johns: 7:48 NST
    Those late sunrises are in winter right? Being different wouldn't bother me because my evenings would be better.

Seriously, we have such short summers to begin with, the only saving grace is the wonderful long evenings. And we're going to make these short summers even shorter by sleeping through the sun in the morning and nightfall coming earlier?

Talk about taking a massive step backwards. We have such amazing summer evenings here and some people want to actually take that away. Just unreal. Winter is winter, the shortest days are about 8 hours long - juggle the times all you want, it still is only 8 hours and we're still mostly in the dark, regardless of anything. And I don't buy the safety argument, if the government was serious about citizens safety, texting and driving that is costing our economy millions and killing people would be criminal code long ago, not a simple slap on the wrist as it currently is.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 13-03-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Many of my devices such as my thermostat have the DST already imbedded. If we eliminate DST, we have to reprogram everything from my computers to the thermostat to my stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Many of my devices such as my thermostat have the DST already imbedded. If we eliminate DST, we have to reprogram everything from my computers to the thermostat to my stove.
    That's a pretty argument, mine are all manual, so for me, its easier to not go to MDT - i.e. to remove daylight savings.

I think its ridiculous having to get up an hour earlier when the weather is this cold. While it might hurt a few golf courses, I think if we shifted to MST permanently (along with Saskatchewan on CST, and probably Montana soon), a lot of the other northern Provinces and States will follow us. In a place like Florida daylight savings has real benefit, but for us, it just causes more road accidents - it wasn't designed for this climate at this time of year.

The only real downside is doing business in the US gets a little more complex, but with electronic calendars and similar now, it shouldn't be too difficult. Its also a little strange for people who fly, as I understand it, we would be 2 hours apart from Toronto and Vancouver.
    Last edited by moahunter; 13-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't care which time zone we end up on, whether we get more light in the morning or evening and so on. I just think it's absolutely idiotic that we continue to jump back and forth when there is plenty of evidence that there are virtually no benefits to doing so, while there are quantifiable impacts on heart attacks, car accidents, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    That's a pretty argument, mine are all manual, so for me, its easier to not go to MDT - i.e. to remove daylight savings.

I think its ridiculous having to get up an hour earlier when the weather is this cold. While it might hurt a few golf courses, I think if we shifted to MST permanently (along with Saskatchewan on CST, and probably Montana soon), a lot of the other northern Provinces and States will follow us. In a place like Florida daylight savings has real benefit, but for us, it just causes more road accidents - it wasn't designed for this climate at this time of year.

The only real downside is doing business in the US gets a little more complex, but with electronic calendars and similar now, it shouldn't be too difficult. Its also a little strange for people who fly, as I understand it, we would be 2 hours apart from Toronto and Vancouver.
    Changing clocks has less benefit in the tropics, not more. I can understand people in Florida thinking they should just stick to one time, because there are only 3 more hours of daylight in June than there are in December in Miami. The sunrise there the day after the November time change is earlier than it is in July. Changing clocks works best in the mid-latitudes between about 30° and 60° where it can provide a more consistent sunrise time throughout the year. Equatorward of 30° the sunrise time doesn't vary enough through the year to make it worth the hassle, and poleward of 60° the changes in day length are too extreme for it to work properly. Here at 53° the problem isn't with the concept, it is with the implementation. November is too late to be switching to standard time, and mid-march is too early to be switching to daylight time. The old dates worked better. The European dates work better. Moving the fall time change to the week after Thanksgiving would work better still.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't care which time zone we end up on, whether we get more light in the morning or evening and so on. I just think it's absolutely idiotic that we continue to jump back and forth when there is plenty of evidence that there are virtually no benefits to doing so, while there are quantifiable impacts on heart attacks, car accidents, and so on.
    This is my exact thought, too. I am pretty apathetic about this subject.

The old dates worked better. The European dates work better. Moving the fall time change to the week after Thanksgiving would work better still.
    I agree, but that's not an option. We can have MST, or MDT in summer, but to have MDT applying at a different time from the rest of North America would be impossibly confusing and complex, it would be the worst of all worlds (sometimes in sync, sometimes not).

Agree with others here - don't care about -6 or -7, just ditch the change altogether.

^I think it makes sense to go MST. As least then in sync with Saskatchewan. It would be a bit odd to be on MDT in winter, and IMO, its a bit cold in mornings for that as well.

^Saskatchewan is on CST. Using MST would put us in sync with BC in the summer (might be a good thing?), and on our own in winter.

^Saskatchewan is on CST. Using MST would put us in sync with BC in the summer (might be a good thing?), and on our own in winter.
    We would also be in sync with Arizona, which stays on MST all year long. That might be useful to snowbirds who head there, but not many others would find it be useful.

I think you are getting mixed up. If we were on Mountain Standard Time, we would be exactly the same zones as everyone in North America in winter. In summer, some places like Vancouver and Toronto, would move to daylight time (equivalent of MDT) - when that happened we would be 2 hours different from Toronto, and 2 hours different from Vancouver, if we stayed on MST. At the moment we go to MDT so our time difference stays same (3 hours Toronto, 1 hour Vancouver).
    Last edited by moahunter; 13-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.

^Current situation:
    Most of BC is on PST (GMT-8 ) winter / PDT (GMT-7) spring/summer/fall
    AB (and eastern BC) are on MST (-7) winter / MDT (-6) spring/summer/fall
    SK is on CST (-6) year round
    MB (and extreme western Ontario) is on CST (-6) winter / CDT (-5) spring/summer/fall
    The rest of ON and QC are on EST (-5) winter / EDT (-4) spring/summer/fall

There is only a 3 hour difference between Vancouver (-8 winter, -7 spring/summer/fall) and Toronto (-5 winter, -4 spring/summer/fall). Alberta (-7 winter, -6 spring/summer/fall) is 1 hour later than Vancouver and 2 hours earlier than Toronto.

Alberta switching to MST (-7) year-round would have us on the same time zone as BC in spring/summer/fall, 3 hours earlier than Toronto (which is on -4 in spring/summer/fall). In winter, we would be back to the current 1 hour later than Vancouver and 2 hours earlier than Toronto.

A 2 hour difference from Vancouver (and only a 1 hour difference from Toronto) would happen in winter if we stayed on MDT (-6) year round.
    Last edited by Titanium48; 13-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

I like the system we have, with the extra hour of sunlight the snow will melt faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    I like the system we have, with the extra hour of sunlight the snow will melt faster.
    Wel, I can sure say that I never saw it in that light before.

^Current situation:
    Most of BC is on PST (GMT-8 ) winter / PDT (GMT-7) spring/summer/fall
    AB (and eastern BC) are on MST (-7) winter / MDT (-6) spring/summer/fall
    SK is on CST (-6) year round
    MB (and extreme western Ontario) is on CST (-6) winter / CDT (-5) spring/summer/fall
    The rest of ON and QC are on EST (-5) winter / EDT (-4) spring/summer/fall

There is only a 3 hour difference between Vancouver (-8 winter, -7 spring/summer/fall) and Toronto (-5 winter, -4 spring/summer/fall). Alberta (-7 winter, -6 spring/summer/fall) is 1 hour later than Vancouver and 2 hours earlier than Toronto.

Alberta switching to MST (-7) year-round would have us on the same time zone as BC in spring/summer/fall, 3 hours earlier than Toronto (which is on -4 in spring/summer/fall). In winter, we would be back to the current 1 hour later than Vancouver and 2 hours earlier than Toronto.

A 2 hour difference from Vancouver (and only a 1 hour difference from Toronto) would happen in winter if we stayed on MDT (-6) year round.
    And why do we care? We can do what is best for us here and only worry about transitions to othertime zones when we travel, or communicate.

I'm unhappy enough that out here in the west, offices out east can dictate a "no jeans" policy for events here and totally ignore our "culture" here. (Except in Calgary during the Rodeo where any such attempt would be ignored.)

I like it when once a year in the fall, the time falls back and we gain an hour and can sleep one hour extra.

We should do that every night.
    Ha! I have always joked that we should always "fall back" and never "spring forward" for similar sorts of reasons.

(What? Chaos can be fun! )
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

The time on my truck is now the time right again. It has been an hour off since the last spring forward. Winning. I now find that some posters are not posting one hour in advance either. Their computer must not change the time automatically.

Our bedroom alarm clock is one of those new fangles pos devices that automatically recognizes the time zone and DST changes and such and automatically puts it to the right hour. Unfortunately the clock remains 25mins quick, its always been that. Theres no way to set it. looked up and down the instructions. No way to set time, its assumed from manufacturer that it always has the correct time. We've tried unplugging it, everything. Every time its powered back on it automatically recognizes the wrong time..

its a running gag and we just kept the clock always realizing its 25mins in the future.. gives us some snooze moments.

Replacement, I have a quick way to fix your alarm clock.

Hammer meet clock...

I have a little portable alarm clock that I bought from Radio Shack 35 years ago for about $10. I replace the single battery about every 3 years. Amazingly accurate and it automatically changes for DST.

Replacement, I have a quick way to fix your alarm clock.

Hammer meet clock...

I have a little portable alarm clock that I bought from Radio Shack 35 years ago for about $10. I replace the single battery about every 3 years. Amazingly accurate and it automatically changes for DST.
    I have a little square one that folds into a box shape from Eatons or at least it says Eaton. Amazing device. Also 3 or 4 decades old and one battery that lasts forever. No need to plug it in every day or read instructions on how to set it.

We had one of those old reliable alarm clocks for decades and it finally gave up the ghost. Or wife got tired looking at it. She wanted one of the new fangled ones with more bells than whistles and CD player and stuff. Ours was so old it had multiple alarm tones, was supposed to have alarm radio but that function stopped working. So we had instead the screeching alarm tones. Which woke you up with alarm..

Ours was from Zellers. Not posh Eatons pfft.

jk aside once you have to replace these types of things everything out there is pretty much garbage. Better off finding one in a garage sale or something.

As with most things a lot of the small electronics devices, regardless of brand are made in some same factory in China. Complete with that manufacturing attention to detail whereby the box for the product is better put together than whats inside.

^

Got it, my bad. I guess that makes sense, Vancouver moves forward an hour, we don't, they have our time.

Default Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames concerned about Alberta Standard Time

To the two NHL teams in the Province of Alberta and, they believe, the majority of their fans, Thomas Dang’s private member bill to establish ‘Alberta Standard Time’ is going over like a lead balloon.
    To the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, the Dang idea introduced in the legislature is a dumb idea.
    Haha. Yes, because we should have consulted these two organizations before moving ahead with this idea.

^ I don't really care what the hockey teams think either, but I think the proposal to keep us on -6 year round is the worst possible option. If we really want to get rid of the time change, we should stick to -7. Do we really want December sunrises to be delayed to almost 10:00 am, and to be 2 hours ahead of Vancouver? All live events would be an hour later in winter, not just hockey. Sticking to -7 would put those events an hour earlier in spring/summer/fall.

^I've read through your comments, and thanks for the detailed, technical comments on the matter but I think a plurality of people don't really care about the morning sun as much as the evening sun as has been expressed. Typically people have moved to being night owls, not robins, and so in that sense want a clock and sun in the sky that matches the adapted circadian rhythm. That would appear to occur more with -6 settings than -7. I could see maybe where early morning people would be less OK with that but that would be a minority view.

That said I'm not comprehending the importance of deviation from other provinces timezones at any given time. These just being adjustments when crossing border and in day to day life not seeming very important for somebody that only does that a few times a year. I could see it being more difficult for travel related occupations but again a minority. For most it wouldn't matter if you adjust clock 1hr or 2hrs on border crossings. I'm not getting the relevance.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.

The only reason I care about an extra hour of daylight in the evening is when I need the light to finish my outdoor chores (gardening, staining deck, etc.)

^In that case can we set a different time zone for mosquitoes? Or Banish them altogether? The reality is mosquitoes, more than daylight or dusk allows me to complete these tasks or run inside with flying vampires trailing. Some parts of the summers its literally impossible to be doing yard work without layers of clothes or mosquito netting on. I love May and June, before mosquito season hits.

I'd like to be on daylight savings time all year, and I don't want to be in the central time zone.

If I were draughting the law, I should define the time zone as MDT (UPC-6) permanently.

As an added bonus, Alberta could claim it had no standard time. This should be useful when the next right-wing government you all want so much taxed sales, and obsoleted the tired old "Aberta has no sales tax" quip.

^^^^ I am one of those night owls. I dislike the idea of daylight time in winter because lack of morning sun makes hauling my butt out of bed in the morning that much harder, and I need it to get dark before I can get to sleep in the evening so I don't really see twilight until after midnight in summer as being a good thing.

^^^^ I am one of those night owls. I dislike the idea of daylight time in winter because lack of morning sun makes hauling my butt out of bed in the morning that much harder, and I need it to get dark before I can get to sleep in the evening so I don't really see twilight until after midnight in summer as being a good thing.
    Anybody on a standard 9-5, or those on a 7am starting time shift are hauling *** out of the dark in anycase. Its matters not one iota to me that it be dark on the drive to work. It could be dark all day during the winter, as long as theres some light at the end of the tunnel when we get off shift.

I don't enjoy mornings much, most people are built that way I think, and so light or not light isn't going to matter much. But postwork (when joy is typically at its highest point) seeing sunshine just adds to the pleasure that one is more amenable to experiencing at that time.

Or is happy hour only for those imbibing in spirits!

heh, jmo

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    As an added bonus, Alberta could claim it had no standard time. This should be useful when the next right-wing government you all want so much taxed sales, and obsoleted the tired old "Aberta has no sales tax" quip.

Could you please contain your political hatred to the political threads?

Thanks.

Huh? Hatred? What hatred?

^^^ Not seeing light in the morning bothers me, but I have always just accepted dark evenings as part of winter. The poor souls who have to work 7 am shifts are screwed in winter regardless, and I would expect that most those working at 7 am are on 10 or 12 hour shifts so they won't see the sun regardless of how the clocks are set. 9 am starts are different though - before the new time change dates I only needed to get up before dawn for a couple of weeks in October and a few weeks in December / January to be at work for 9:00 am, and it was always light on the way in.

^^^ Not seeing light in the morning bothers me, but I have always just accepted dark evenings as part of winter. .
    heh, I sensed this was the root of it. It just doesn't impact me at all in the AM. t being dark and cold to me means I'm not missing anything being locked in a bunker at work. To me the soul crushing thing is it being dark around 4pm. Like the travel commercial that capitalizes on these dread moments.

We're all impacted different but the good news is a forecast of whole lot of solar rays coming to our latitude in the coming months. We've made it through short days again. yay.

^I've read through your comments, and thanks for the detailed, technical comments on the matter but I think a plurality of people don't really care about the morning sun as much as the evening sun as has been expressed. Typically people have moved to being night owls, not robins, and so in that sense want a clock and sun in the sky that matches the adapted circadian rhythm. That would appear to occur more with -6 settings than -7. I could see maybe where early morning people would be less OK with that but that would be a minority view.
    Ironically, I (slightly) prefer the "evening sun" option because I'm NOT a night owl. My body has no trouble getting up in the morning no matter what, but an hour longer of sunlight in a summer evening is often the only thing keeping me from being a complete fuddy-duddy.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I was born in a zone that has twilight around the clock in June. Late evening daylight simply calms my soul.

That's why whatever happens, I insist we should be on UTC-6 in the summer.

3/4 of people want DST gone (see below). So I guess most people want the early sunrises and early sunsets during their summers.

I just don't get it.

Excerpt:

Do you think Alberta should keep Daylight Saving Time?
    Yes
    1711 (26 %)

No
    4942 (74 %)

Total number of votes: 6653

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/ndp-consu...rvey-1.3283467

These polls are unclear.

What do people really object to: seasonal darkness, or the twice-yearly time shift, or both? And if both, is it both consistently?

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

The polls are especially unclear because the name for clock switching and for the -6 time zone seem to be the same in many places.

This person is annoyed by clock switching. I'd prefer the -6 scheme because I have a strategy for dark mornings anyway and would really prefer the long evenings. But I'd be fine with either time zone. I just hate the clock switching. I enjoy the gradual light transitioning for the seasons and hate the sudden shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Ironically, I (slightly) prefer the "evening sun" option because I'm NOT a night owl. My body has no trouble getting up in the morning no matter what, but an hour longer of sunlight in a summer evening is often the only thing keeping me from being a complete fuddy-duddy.
    my sentiments exactly, except that its not entirely working, fuddy duddy.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    The polls are especially unclear because the name for clock switching and for the -6 time zone seem to be the same in many places.

This person is annoyed by clock switching. I'd prefer the -6 scheme because I have a strategy for dark mornings anyway and would really prefer the long evenings. But I'd be fine with either time zone. I just hate the clock switching. I enjoy the gradual light transitioning for the seasons and hate the sudden shift.
    The part that was especially unclear to me is it saying "you already voted" when I didn't vote. not representative, not proportional, bah humbug.

The State of Arizona uses MST year-round.
    Because of Arizona's hot climate, DST is largely considered unnecessary. The argument against extending the daylight hours into the evening is that people prefer to do their activities in the cooler evening temperatures.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

The reason I like DST is kind of the opposite. Because of Alberta's colder climate, I prefer to do outdoor activities in the warmer evening temperatures from spring until fall. So far as the winter months are concerned, I prefer MST because it better equalizes the scarce daylight between mornings and evenings. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't get your latter point. In the winter, in Dec, January anybody working 9-5 sees basically hardly no daylight. I would prefer the timezone here always be -6 thus resulting in at least sundown and dusk as people drive home from work. Makes for safer driving even.

^There is no surplus daylight left to "save" in the winter, so the safety argument doesn't work. Either the evening drive is more dangerous because the December sun sets at 4:15 MST, or the morning drive is more dangerous because the December sun doesn't rise until 9:50 MDT. A 9-5 worker either gets to see the sun for a little while in the morning if the clocks are on -7, or a little while in the evening if the clocks are on -6.

Here is another comparison with other cities across the country - Latest summer sunset:

Vancouver: 9:22 pm PDT
    Grande Prairie: 10:39 pm MDT
    Calgary: 9:55 pm MDT
    Edmonton: 10:07 pm MDT
    Ft Mcmurray: 10:21 pm MDT
    Saskatoon: 9:31 pm CST
    Regina: 9:14 pm CST
    Winnipeg: 9:41 pm CDT
    Thunder Bay: 10:02 pm EDT
    Toronto: 9:03 pm EDT
    Ottawa: 8:55 pm EDT
    Montreal: 8:47 pm EDT
    Quebec: 8:43 pm EDT
    Halifax: 9:03 pm ADT
    St. John's: 9:02 pm NDT

We would still be quite similar to the rest of the country if we made our summer sunsets an hour earlier by staying on -7 year round.

Or maybe if we are going to have year round "Alberta standard time" we should do like Newfoundland and use -6.5

^There is no surplus daylight left to "save" in the winter, so the safety argument doesn't work.
    I think the only "safety" argument that holds any weight at all is when talking about kids walking to (or from) school in the dark.

^ In that case, we should stick to -7 in the winter. The 8:50 am early January sunrise is already pushing it when school starts right about then, but the 4:15 pm mid-December sunset is still well after class ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    To the two NHL teams in the Province of Alberta and, they believe, the majority of their fans, Thomas Dang’s private member bill to establish ‘Alberta Standard Time’ is going over like a lead balloon.
    To the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames, the Dang idea introduced in the legislature is a dumb idea.
    Haha. Yes, because we should have consulted these two organizations before moving ahead with this idea.
    Well...the current proposition will mean a game in California at 7PM will be 9PM here. Or those late 730 PST games will be 930 start time here. Not exactly ideal. Any other cons apart from TV schedules?

Though I favour no DST, I prefer we follow PST.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Well...the current proposition will mean a game in California at 7PM will be 9PM here. Or those late 730 PST games will be 930 start time here. Not exactly ideal. Any other cons apart from TV schedules?

Though I favour no DST, I prefer we follow PST.
    That's nice, I guess? You can't please everyone.

^unless your name is Debbie and you live in Dallas

Anyone taking advantage of the evening light?

Sunrise was at 5.30 am this morning. Who wishes it was earlier?

^ My daughter is not a fan of being sent to bed before sunset, and she would love to be able to see the night sky when it isn't freezing outside.

^ My daughter is not a fan of being sent to bed before sunset, and she would love to be able to see the night sky when it isn't freezing outside.
    Our light pollution may make the difficult.

Our light pollution may make the difficult.
    Yes, overly bright streetlights are another problem. One that would save a bundle on electricity costs if it were fixed.

Not a fan of DST, but oppose the change until the rest of North America implements it as well. We are increasingly doing with people outside of Alberta and it really makes an impact scheduling meetings and calls. I haven't done a lot of work in SK, but I can't count the number of times that meetings were missed due to Arizona time. The issue always seems to come up as the butt of some joke or another. I don't want Alberta to be lumped in with Arizona and Saskatchewan time zone anomaly.

Well, I've been getting up between 5:30 and 6:30 but have yet to go outside. If sunrise was moving towards 4:30 am I sure wouldn't be using that time. Might be waking up earlier and earlier as the sunlight came into the house though.

However, because of Daylight Savings Time, I have been out talking with neighbours walking well after 9 pm - walking only because it's still light out.

I was doing yard work until 8:30 or so last night, but wouldn't have if sunset was around 8:30 pm and not the current ~9:30pm.

My pre-teen daughter's bedtime is before 8 pm. She wouldn't be up to see the stars anyway.

Last edited by KC; 22-05-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    ^There is no surplus daylight left to "save" in the winter, so the safety argument doesn't work.
    I think the only "safety" argument that holds any weight at all is when talking about kids walking to (or from) school in the dark.
    That's a valid concern. Look around you in your way to work and you'll see all your fellow Edmonton drivers in a near trance like state. When the light turns green they stare straight ahead and hit the gas pedal. Moreover, they can barely keep their cars between the lines and can't fot the life of them as they circle onto or off of our freeways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast