15 24.19%
  • I hate the time change, we should stay on standard time (GMT-7) year round

19 30.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daylight savings time

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Something even the conservatives can get behind!

Alberta NDP looking at abolishing Daylight Saving Time
    I want DST all year round - not canceled.
    I want standard time all year round so there's something for everybody, including us who would like a few weeks where we can have backyard fires with the kids without staying up all night.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

so with the proposed change it would stay brighter for longer in winter? Id much rather have that

That's the idea:

[On the final day of the fall sitting of the legislature on Tuesday, Starke presented a petition calling for the repeal of the Daylight Saving Time Act and for the province to move to central time throughout the year.
    That would put Alberta on the same time as Saskatchewan — which doesn’t observe the time change — and leave the province on daylight time, with additional light at the end of the day, all year round.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    That's the idea:

[On the final day of the fall sitting of the legislature on Tuesday, Starke presented a petition calling for the repeal of the Daylight Saving Time Act and for the province to move to central time throughout the year.
    That would put Alberta on the same time as Saskatchewan — which doesn’t observe the time change — and leave the province on daylight time, with additional light at the end of the day, all year round.
    It should be noted that was the suggestion from a PC MLA. There is not government bill yet so we don't know what decision they would make. Starke also wants a referendum on it.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Less light on the summer evenings would make for a better night life and we could reintroduce the drive in theatre

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Who wants the sun to rise at 4:00 am?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I wouldn't mind MST year round but what's with this CST thing?

I find the current DST cutoffs to be much more jarring than the prior ones, and being someone who always has a residence (and work from home) facing south I notice the movement of the sun over the day and year A LOT.

By the November cutoff the sun is already setting pretty late and then suddenly within 24 hours it's pitch-black dark at the same hour, rather then just truncating the sunset by an hour. Wham! it's dark when my body doesn't feel like it should be.

Similarly, the March cutoff suddenly turns sunset into day for an extra hour, about when I'm totally used to watching the end of the NHL regular season (the best part imo) starting around 6pm, and Wham! my body says it's still day when I'm about to turn on the TV.

And when I look at the position of the earth around the sun it makes sense: the earth is accelerating toward the sun much more in November than at the old cutoff, and although decelerating in March it's still screaming through space after zipping around the sun more than it was weeks later with the old cutoff.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ The Earth's orbital speed is nearly constant, it only speeds up by a few % near perihelion (at the beginning of January) compared with aphelion (at the beginning of July). You may be thinking of the rate of change of the angle between the Earth's rotation axis and the plane perpendicular to the Earth-Sun line (and thus the rate of change of the length of the day). That is greatest near the equinoxes and smallest near the solstices.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I want standard time all year round so there's something for everybody, including us who would like a few weeks where we can have backyard fires with the kids without staying up all night.
    You do have a few weeks of relatively early sunsets and reasonably warm temperatures, in late August and September.

There would be downsides to both year-round CST (-6) and year round MST (-7). With -6 the sun wouldn't rise until almost 10:00 am in late December, and with -7 the sun would rise at 4:00 am in early summer.
    The problem isn't the time change, it is the timing of the time change, particularly the switch to -7 being delayed to November, well past the point when there is no extra morning daylight left to "save" by transferring it to the evening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12