Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kingsway Mall

^Yup. My guess is Walmart. They want something central. Perfect opportunity for them.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Walmart hates being in malls and 2 floor stores though.

^They'll make an exception.
    www.decl.org

^^
    Althought it didn't work as well it Westmount, part of that can be allotted to the lack of space at the Wesmount Walmart store, and the caveat Safeway has at the mall that prevented them from bringing in produce and deli products. I'd say that the increased footprint over the Wesmount store, and having no competition, let alone no caveat, in the mall for groceries would make it a much more palatable option.

The closest competion is the Kingsway Superstore and 109th Save-On, both of which are out of easy walking distance for NAIT students in particular. Combine that with the greatly increased mall traffic over Westmount and the LRT link to downtown, I could see Walmart moving in their readily.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 15-01-2015 at 02:00 PM.

^+1
    www.decl.org

^^+2 Whoa, totes, man... totes. Would Blachford development be a consideration as well? Might be wise for Wally World
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

We have all seen Walmarts move into malls then cut themselves off to access to the rest of the mall (Capilano). For some reason it's just something they seem to do. I doubt they would get away with that in Kingsway.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^^
    Agreed on Blatchford. Plus there's the entire existing residential area around Kingsway itself, both NAIT students attending class and those that live in the area, and all the other neighbourhoods north of downtown that with residents that can easily access Kingsway by car and transit. There's a reason Kingsway is one of the busiest malls in the GEA.

I wonder why Walmart failed to grab Kingsway to begin with. Were they wary of the reno costs? Target lost a lot of money re-skinning that section of the mall. Or did Kingsway not consider them an upscale enough tenant? I guess we'll see if they're good enough for Kingsway now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    We have all seen Walmarts move into malls then cut themselves off to access to the rest of the mall (Capilano). For some reason it's just something they seem to do. I doubt they would get away with that in Kingsway.
    Maybe that's the reason they didn't grab Kingsway to begin with. I can understand Kingsway's perspective, as they want the rest of the inner part of the mall to remain healthy.

highlander

Target bought the rights first, and then passed on the 2nd rate locations to Walmart.

C2E SME

Essentially all the prime locations that Target felt were the ones that would give them the most success were the ones they kept. The rest of them they didn't feel they were worth keeping. I have no doubt that Wal-Mart would be very interested in these locations. Especially Bonnie Doon and Kingsway. Probably the one location that might be left out in the cold could be Mill Woods Town Centre. I'm curious if/when Kingsway will issue a statement regarding what they plan on doing with the vacated space.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

https://twitter.com/CarolAmadeoCBC/s...77822423773184
    Carol Amadeo ‏@CarolAmadeoCBC 3m3 minutes ago
    .@kingswaymall says #Target will close this Sat. Also announced 2 new stores: Skechers & a two-floor Forever 21. #yeg #retail #CBC
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Well their smart enough to announce something right away to let people know that they are already looking to the future and not dwelling on the Target loss.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Unfortunately I wish Kingsway had a better option than Wal-Mart, but they're just not quite in the Nordstrom (let alone Holts or Saks) range and Simons has to be stretched already, as well as being too small for that space.

Maybe they could subdivide the space between a DSW and a Zara? I'd like that way better than Wal-Mart. Or Sobeys on the first floor and Sport Chek on the second?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I read that Forever 21 is shutting down in Calgary's Chinook mall, so this announcement of a 2 level store at Kingsway is interesting.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^^ Any proper grocery in the mall would be a good thing.

Eve

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Unfortunately I wish Kingsway had a better option than Wal-Mart, but they're just not quite in the Nordstrom (let alone Holts or Saks) range and Simons has to be stretched already, as well as being too small for that space.

Maybe they could subdivide the space between a DSW and a Zara? I'd like that way better than Wal-Mart. Or Sobeys on the first floor and Sport Chek on the second?
    If sport check goes in at kingsway expect them to close in city centre.

Isnt' Sport Chek already in Kingsway?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Isnt' Sport Chek already in Kingsway?
    Yes
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Yeah, it was in WEM too though.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Stopped at Kingsway Mall today and did a brief walkaround.

Forever 21 is opening in the old Smittys space.
    Skechers is opening a couple of bays south of Disney.
    Saje Natural Wellness has opened next to the east entrance of the food court.
    The Indian place in the food court that was run by Chinese people (Tandori?) has been replaced by Sushi Shop.
    Besides Target, there are some other closed retail bays, which I think are recently deceased chains (Sony Store, Smart Set)

The craziest thing about that mall is that it has 3 massive anchors, and all 3 are awful. They should really take that Target space and just expand it for more retailers.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Was at Kingsway this afternoon. The Forever 21 in the former Smittys is open, looks like it's a 2-level store but don't know for sure.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^it is. Saw them installing escalators and since opening, can see clothing etc on second floor and people shopping. It's a nice space.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Hot Topic is opening at Kingsway. I think this is their first Edmonton location.

Wow, I didn't even know they had expanded into Canada. I always enjoyed checking them out when I was in LA, though I'm not sure I've ever bought something there.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

178081354-001
    14-Sep-2015
    1 - KINGSWAY NW
    Plan 8221500 Blk 1B Lot 4SR
    1 - KINGSWAY GARDEN MALL NW
    Plan 1425119 Blk 7 Lot 276

To construct interior alterations to Kingsway mall - cru 240A, Hot Topic.(second floor between Sport Check and The Gap).

ARCVISION INC (TAMMY KORTE)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Ended up at Kingsway Mall for the first time in ages, had to hit the Disney Store for a family friend's wee one. The mall was busy, but not surprising given that it's a cold day and it's still back-to-school season. This mall still has an impressive selection of shops but still firmly in the next tier behind WEM and Southgate - if Oxford can upgrade City Centre to this same standard then I'll be happy. Their Hudson's Bay location can use an upgrade. Sears should just die already, their men's clothing selection is barely a step up from what Zellers used to be. Not sure what they have planned for Target but if they can't lure another department store there then they might as well turn that into a mall extension.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 04-09-2016 at 08:46 PM.

It's funny that 'anchor' stores seem irrelevant at Kingsway.

It has a bit of an odd mix of stores but definitely decent. I hope that with the upcoming changes to LRT, Oxford takes advantage and develops the property appropriately which in effect should result in some changes to the current tenant mix. The development of Blatchford should also play a part in what Oxford does with Kingsway. My only fear is that with all that's going on around Kingsway, Oxford will completely forget about City Centre Mall and the activity next door with the Ice District. I can't think of two properties better placed to take advantage of development and urbanization going on in Edmonton than CCM and Kingsway.

Kingsway has (still is?) been the lowest-vacancy mall, so something's working. Has that staus changed?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Kingsway is good but it really misses on a few fronts, namely no decent men's clothing. I can get jeans and t-shirts there, but that's it. It really needs a Zara, RW&Co, or something like that with some trendier men's fashion.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Kingsway has (still is?) been the lowest-vacancy mall, so something's working. Has that staus changed?
    I think that would now be Southgate's accolade, Target is a significant hole (both at Kingsway and WEM, fwiw.)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

From SSP member who has ties to Oxford:

Re: Kingsway.. I understand that two larger retailers will be taking space in the old Target space and the remaining space will be demised out into CRU's

There's some very interesting work afoot at the Kingsway site that could result in a significant development of a good portion of the parking apron, but that's likely contingent on what eventually happens at Blatchford so still a ways out yet

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Given that Kingsway seems to be succeeding on the basis of its smaller stores rather than the anchors, this seems to be a really good strategy. Though I must admit, that I am disappointed that they aren't incorporating a major grocery store in the mall.

There used to be a Tattoo place in Kingsway Mall. Anyone no if it is still there and what it is called.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

There used to be a Tattoo place in Kingsway Mall. Anyone no if it is still there and what it is called.
    There is still one, or a newer one.

http://dragonfxtattoo.com/kingsway/

^Thnx. Do you know if the shoe store Dawgs is still in there?.

^Thnx. Do you know if the shoe store Dawgs is still in there?.
    I don't think it is, no..

^O.K. I know when you look Dawgs up on the net it says its still at Kingsway. Then again it says there is one in Londonderry Mall but its no longer there.

^O.K. I know when you look Dawgs up on the net it says its still at Kingsway. Then again it says there is one in Londonderry Mall but its no longer there.

I always go to kingsway directory..

^Just looked on the directory. No longer there. Dawg Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Re: Kingsway.. I understand that two larger retailers will be taking space in the old Target space and the remaining space will be demised out into CRU's

There's some very interesting work afoot at the Kingsway site that could result in a significant development of a good portion of the parking apron, but that's likely contingent on what eventually happens at Blatchford so still a ways out yet
    That's not the first we've seen of that former rumour, and that second bit is clearly in reference to the City’s "option 4" with the Metro Line, also as-discussed.

Browns shoes moving into Kingsway...thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Kingsway is good but it really misses on a few fronts, namely no decent men's clothing. I can get jeans and t-shirts there, but that's it. It really needs a Zara, RW&Co, or something like that with some trendier men's fashion.
    There was an RW&Co in the mall. I thought it was still there but perhaps it has recently closed.

If they were bold, I envision something like this:

Kingsway Bay is getting a reno this year, late 2016/early 2017.
    www.decl.org

Just hanging out at Metrotown right now. This mall doesn't have the lakes or other big features but it sure is nice. Nothing this nice looking in Alberta.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Another SSPer says HomeSense and Marshalls

Homesense would be very nice..

Homesense there would do very very well.

Agreed. HomeSense would be a good addition. Marshals not so much.

^ same company, they can kinda come as a combo.

I'll go out on a limb and say a Walmart could down O.K. in Kingsway Mall. There really is not another Walmart that close to there unless you count Abbotsfield but that's 59 blocks away.

I'll go out on a limb and say a Walmart could down O.K. in Kingsway Mall. There really is not another Walmart that close to there unless you count Abbotsfield but that's 59 blocks away.
    Westmount is pretty close

Northgate as well.

I think location-wise that Wal-Mart would be happy to be there, but only at a Wal-Mart price.

I'd be really leery if I were Oxford though. Wal-Mart could take the Target space, but it might lose both Sears and the Bay, and I'm pretty sure that would be a net loss on a few fronts (less rent psf, less rented sf, less prestige.)

Agree grocery would be a good fit for the mall, but they would need a player -- Sobey's as we know is not feeling too bullish generally, nor about central Edmonton specifically; Whole Foods wants higher margins, ditto Planet Organic; too close for the Italian Centre to their existing store and no advantage to moving; I think it's too close to Superstore for Loblaw to allow a No Frills.

Lucky 97 could be possible. Wouldn't pay "mall rates" but it would pay a hell of a lot more than the zero they have now.

Metro wouldn't be impossible, but there have been no stirrings whatsoever about coming to Western Canada.

Marshalls and Homesense: liquid company on the march, have an actual business plan, doesn't kill other anchors or even small tenants. Lots of logic to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

If they were bold, I envision something like this:

I like that from a "flow" perspective, and I like how it cuts the Target space down to something more manageable, but I don't see that much more "mall retail" being sustainable. They're already spread a bit thin.

I think more what the rumour entailed was residential towers with podiums in the Sears parking lot, clustered around the "option 4 station".

A full Walmart, the one in Westmount isn't worth the bother..

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    I dunno, it is pretty big. Comparable to most other Wal-Marts (it does have two floors, probably the result of the Woolco takeover when they entered the market, or the demise of Zellers or K-Mart).
    Last edited by mdmenzel; 07-09-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmenzel View Post
    I dunno, it is pretty big. Comparable to most other Wal-Marts (it does have two floors, probably the result of the Woolco takeover when they entered the market, or the demise of Zellers or K-Mart).
    They don't carry much in the way of food, and the clothing section is pretty dismal . I dont go to Walmart that often, if I do, I go to the west end

C2E Bandwidth Hog

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Stopped by Kingsway Mall to replenish some wardrobe.

• The Bay is undergoing a major renovation, with almost all of the eastern half of the 1st floor closed off. Here's hoping the quality of the location improves dramatically.
    • HMV in this mall is still open for another 8 days.
    • There are some large empty bays throughout the mall, although "coming soon" signage indicates they'll be filled up soon, Unlike the oversized empty bay hoarding at ECC, the ones in this mall do not impede foot traffic.
    • Not a lot of foot traffic inside the mall, then again its a weeknight.

There seems to be a re-purposing of the Target space going on as well .
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    There seems to be a re-purposing of the Target space going on as well .
    sonicboom posted the below in the Kingsway Renovation thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    233772664-001
    14-Nov-2016
    1 - KINGSWAY GARDEN MALL NW
    Plan 1620578 Blk 7 Lot 277

To construct interior alterations to a tenant space in an existing mercantile bldg. (Homesense fit up, Kingway Garden Mall)

To construct interior alterations to a tenant space in an existing mercantile building (Marshall's Fit-up, Kingsway Garden Mall)

LEDCOR CONSTRUCTION LIMITED, BAXTER

"A full Walmart"? What's the difference? Aren't they all the same except for numbers of any items stocked? (ie 10 vs 5 of the same item on the shelf)

A full-feature Wal-Mart has a produce and bakery section, and a larger meat section. Probably more SKUs too. Westmount has a small store. Meadowlark has a full-size.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I thought Marshall's and London drugs were moving into KM.

Marshalls and Home Sense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234