Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingsway Mall

Actually I've not set foot in a Wal-Mart in nearly a decade & I don't drink cans of pop, so I guess the allure of Dollarama is lost on me. Apologies for my dispersions.

And quite often what some people call a "bargain" is just an excuse to buy crap you didn't need in the first place. I guess I'm not susceptible to that, as I rarely leave the store with something more or different than what I intended, unless there's been a stock issue or something.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Dollarama is more of a lure for women than men. Trust me, if they can find something for a dollar and they know it costs more elsewhere Dollarama is the place to be. Kingsway would be a great spot.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Continued Contributor

Let's bring this back to the thread topic, please.
    Almost always open to debate...

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    It is on topic. It's about Kingsway Mall. I want to know why there is not a Dollarama in Kingsway Mall.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    It is on topic. It's about Kingsway Mall. I want to know why there is not a Dollarama in Kingsway Mall.
    Kingsway does have some dead/empty space down the side wing on the main floor next to the security office towards Sears. The perfect space for a Dollarama store but I'm sure Shoppers would be P****d off if one showed up so close to their store and killing off their pop/candy/snack sales.

Don't worry about about my thoughts of your opinions Gemini since i'm a Gemini myself so I know exactly how you think. Looking high end without going broke!!!!

So what happened to the dollar store that was in Kingsway? I don't know if it was Dollarama, or Everything for a Dollar, or A Buck or Two, or whatever, but there used to be one in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    So what happened to the dollar store that was in Kingsway? I don't know if it was Dollarama, or Everything for a Dollar, or A Buck or Two, or whatever, but there used to be one in the mall.

I think it was replaced by the new public washrooms located next to the Bay wasn't it?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

I think it was replaced by the new public washrooms located next to the Bay wasn't it?
    No, the bathrooms are upstairs the dollar store was on the 1st floor..there is a everything for a dollar near sears... im surprised it hasnt been replaced by a dollarama for sure!

Obviously Victoria's Secret thinks Edmonton women are a better/more stylish market than the Cowgirls down south. As of today the second branch of VS in Edmonton opened in Kingsway.

Edmonton 2 Calgary 1. This is for all you straight guys....yee ha!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

With the no of lingerie stores in Kingsway, they may as well have a lingerie modeling catwalk out in the middle of the mall!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    With the no of lingerie stores in Kingsway, they may as well have a lingerie modeling catwalk out in the middle of the mall!
    I'm guessing you would prefer Edmonton models strutting their stuff rather than Calgarian models wearing Marks Work Wearhouse "gear" LOL. Since they seem to be so out of style down south. LOL.

Let me know if the guys start catwalking (NOT IN LINGERIE THOUGH)....LOL.

do you guys have Dollar Giant in Edmonton? thats the best dollar store ever

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    do you guys have Dollar Giant in Edmonton? thats the best dollar store ever
    Yup... 4 of them
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

The signage for Edmonton's 3rd Sephora store is now up. It will be located on the second floor where Fairweather used to be years ago. Opening in February 2012.

C2E SME

So I noticed that BP's is opening a new location in the parking lot of Kingsway near the Curling Club.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Oh good.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Isn't there already a BP up the road, on Princess Elizabeth near 101 St?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Yup, there is one right at the traffic circle. I wonder if they will be shutting that one down when this one opens. This location will serve NAIT and the Curling Club much better than the other location.

If they do make a move I hope another restaurant fills the space. A nice polish restaurant to go along with the Polish center in the same parking lot would be nice.

I've noticed there have been a few old BP restaurants that have moved. There used to be one on 118 avenu and 123 street which I believe is now Royal Pizza. The Canadian Brewhouse on 97 street and 127 avenue used to be one too. I'm wondering if it was a franchise moving or closing down?

This new BP does replace the old Sears Tire Centre that stood empty for a few years after the chain shutdown all the tire centres. Better building a new structure than leaving the site vacant after tearing it down.

It is like Cactus Club replacing the location at WEM just a better use of the property to attract patrons to the mall.

C2E SME

And the fact it is right accross from NAIT isn't gonna hurt either.

This location is owned by the same people as the traffic circle location. I've been told that they have no immediate plans to close/sell the other location, but I can't see them actually running two BPs within 3 blocks of each other for very long.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I stopped by Kingsway recently.

The Bay location seems to have improved somewhat. It doesn't look as sparse as it was a few months ago. I suspect there may have been minor renos done here and there. But still not on par with the other major locations in the city.

Oh...and again, no sign of any Christmas gift wrapping service.

I stopped by Kingsway recently.

The Bay location seems to have improved somewhat. It doesn't look as sparse as it was a few months ago. I suspect there may have been minor renos done here and there. But still not on par with the other major locations in the city.

Oh...and again, no sign of any Christmas gift wrapping service.
    The Bay at Kingsway has improved in regards to cleanliness and fresh paint etc and a few new brands in stock (which all branches have now) such as Moon and Bench etc etc. But it is still a very average branch in regards to stock and labels such as the majority of Bays have across the country.

A couple of months ago The Bay was handing out a advert/flyer chart that listed all the brands that each branch sold. Here in Edmonton Southgate, WEM carried the "upscale" ones for out market such as Polo,

Southgate is the Edmonton flagship with all brands, followed by WEM and Downtown missing 2 each in order, Though the Bay downtown has improved quite a bit in the menswear in the past 6 months. Then St Albert, Kingsway and finally Londonderry while also cleaned up and remerchandised are your average HBC stores missing 5 other more upscale lines.

But it is an improvement, perhaps overtime HBC will add more to Kingsways branch once Target is open to appeal to the certain "image" that Target corners in the States with its inexpensive yet stylish product in certain categories.

I think all malls (along with Kingsway) have quit with the wrapping services I have yet to see any in WEM or Southgate either...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

There are gift wrapping services in Southgate and City Centre that are run by charities.

There are gift wrapping services in Southgate and City Centre that are run by charities.
    I was in Southgate on Sunday and did not see any. Where is it located???

I was looking for some clothes lately and I checked out Bay Kingsway since I was at the mall, and left extremely disappointed both times. The menswear area is depressingly sparse, boring, and lacking almost any clothing anyone with a sense of fashion would purchase. They have a lot of work to do if they want to attract certain demographics.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I was looking for some clothes lately and I checked out Bay Kingsway since I was at the mall, and left extremely disappointed both times. The menswear area is depressingly sparse, boring, and lacking almost any clothing anyone with a sense of fashion would purchase. They have a lot of work to do if they want to attract certain demographics.
    I will agree with you on the point that the menswear at the Bay in Kingsway is sparse compared to say CityCentre, Southgate, and WEM because the Kingsway departments offered that are the same as the top 3 stores in the city are very thinly stocked.

They are always out of sizes or styles of the brand that say Southgate always has well stocked. I think it could possibly improve but it will take a while their first step was at least tidying up the store and introducing some new brands but the obvious problem is the lack of stock those brands have.

For example with Kingsway having stores of trendy brands that the Bay also tries to carry (ie Bench) The Bay gets slaughtered because they try to sell product at full price that the Bench store has already marked down. Though occasionally they do have the Bay Day sales that will beat the Bench store prices sometimes but not always.

A couple of years ago when the owners of Lord&Taylor took over HBC they heavily promoted they were going to introduce alot of their exclusive brands to The Bay a few have filtered in but not enough to make store product stand out as unique and only available at HBC in Canada. At least in my opinion.

I was in Toronto in October and saw the Canada'a first Topshop and Topman departments in the Queen Street store. Topman's department was small and rather unappealing/overpriced for such a "hot" UK brand. To me anyways.. but then I never got into that store living in the UK anyways as it always struck me as so juvenile it makes something like Hollister look more mature.

And to be honest kids these days are not going to shop at department stores unless their parents force them to because they are paying for it. When shopping at The Bay at either WEM or Southgate I rarely see kids clothes shopping in there anyways so Kingsway will be the same. A Mom and Dads store not Evan, Dustin with his little sister Brittany..... Times change!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Beside the EB Games shop. There's a big overhead sign pointing to a backroom.

Beside the EB Games shop. There's a big overhead sign pointing to a backroom.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I will agree with you on the point that the menswear at the Bay in Kingsway is sparse compared to say CityCentre, Southgate, and WEM because the Kingsway departments offered that are the same as the top 3 stores in the city are very thinly stocked.

They are always out of sizes or styles of the brand that say Southgate always has well stocked. I think it could possibly improve but it will take a while their first step was at least tidying up the store and introducing some new brands but the obvious problem is the lack of stock those brands have.

For example with Kingsway having stores of trendy brands that the Bay also tries to carry (ie Bench) The Bay gets slaughtered because they try to sell product at full price that the Bench store has already marked down. Though occasionally they do have the Bay Day sales that will beat the Bench store prices sometimes but not always.

A couple of years ago when the owners of Lord&Taylor took over HBC they heavily promoted they were going to introduce alot of their exclusive brands to The Bay a few have filtered in but not enough to make store product stand out as unique and only available at HBC in Canada. At least in my opinion.

I was in Toronto in October and saw the Canada'a first Topshop and Topman departments in the Queen Street store. Topman's department was small and rather unappealing/overpriced for such a "hot" UK brand. To me anyways.. but then I never got into that store living in the UK anyways as it always struck me as so juvenile it makes something like Hollister look more mature.

And to be honest kids these days are not going to shop at department stores unless their parents force them to because they are paying for it. When shopping at The Bay at either WEM or Southgate I rarely see kids clothes shopping in there anyways so Kingsway will be the same. A Mom and Dads store not Evan, Dustin with his little sister Brittany..... Times change!
    do they sell hugo boss at any edmonton bay stores? the one in downtown vancouver created a white space for men and its got every level of hugo boss - its quite nice - they have a lot of other high end brands too like porsche design, armani jeans, strellson, DKNY and some other things i am not familiar with

a new top man capsule opened up - very trendy, decent prices, similiar to H&M but i think better quality, they will be turning the basement level of the store into a top man top shop flagship - the largest in north america in 2012 when some of the vendors leases down there run out...

the bay here has never been busier in the time i have seen it - the changes are incredible at the downtown store, better service, better selection, much better looking etc. the changes have definately worked here - even in the more suburban stores, a few of them have coach sections inside now and they seem to be much busier

sorry to take it off topic...

Vancouver still has a "true" downtown flagship Edmonton gets Southgate now. Topman is overrated anyway here. In the UK it is their version of Le Chateau in my opinion with the appeal of H&M to boot.

But the Bay at Kingsway will never be upscale to me just an average Bay in a large Canadian Mall like Kingsway or Coquitlam Centre in Coquitlam, Market Mall in Calgary, Polo Park in Winnipeg, Bayshore in Ottawa, Limeridge in Hamilton, Fairview in Toronto, Fairview-Pte Claire in Montreal, La Capital in Quebec City or Dartmouth NS. Average average average. If they blindfolded you and dropped you in any Bay store you would not know where you were at all except for the French signage in PQ. Average Average Average mostly.

Only DT Vancouver, DT Montreal, Queen Street in T.O and DT Calgary have the real charm of a large urban HBC store left. Edmonton got hammered with "mall" cloned ones because we lost ours.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Update:
    While Kingsway does not have a gift-wrapping service, their Zellers store does so. It's run by the U of A Dance team, cost is by donation.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

the Disney store is closed and undergoing a major reno. Didn't catch their reopen date, sorry.

the Disney store is closed and undergoing a major reno. Didn't catch their reopen date, sorry.
    The one in WEM did not take all that long with the new space that opened Probably (just a guess) months more or less.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Kingsway only opened in 1976? I thought they were around longer.

March 3, 1976: Shoppers line up for grand opening of Kingsway Garden Mall

Kingsway only opened in 1976? I thought they were around longer.

March 3, 1976: Shoppers line up for grand opening of Kingsway Garden Mall

wow , huge difference back then especially on the Southside of this mall on the corner of Kingsway ave and 106 st
    Last edited by jagators63; 03-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Yes, what the article didn't mention is that the section from The Bay to about where H&M is now was a new extension that was added about 20 - 25 years ago.

Great photo but it is flipped horizontally. This is the way it should appear.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8...3605118d_z.jpg
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Wrong the way you have flipped it is backwards as the Sears logo on the roof for passengers landing at the airport is backwards the original posting is correct as it is taken looking south towards Kingsway

^Yes you are right, the contour of the mall has changed considerably in the past decades. If you reference the Google view the east side of the mall juts out as you move to the south edge whereas the original image has the opposite. I think that was what contributed to my confusion (that plus the changes to the streets and buildings in the area).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kingswa...15000&t=h&z=17
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 03-03-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Great photo but it is flipped horizontally. This is the way it should appear.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8...3605118d_z.jpg
    Sears ahould be northside of the mall

take a look at google map here http://goo.gl/maps/KZU0M so means the pic at Sonic have post # 236 is correct one.
    Last edited by jagators63; 03-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post

take a look at google map here http://goo.gl/maps/KZU0M so means the pic at Sonic have post # 236 is correct one.
    Please excuse my advancing senility.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

What was there on the very SE corner, where the transit center is now? Was that a motel? Or an apartment?

What was there on the very SE corner, where the transit center is now? Was that a motel? Or an apartment?
    should be NE but not SE

looks like a Motel ???
    Last edited by jagators63; 03-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

SE...as in "current transit centre"...as in the top left part of the picture I posted:

SE...as in "current transit centre"...as in the top left part of the picture I posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/07yiM this is where transit centre and also moxie's Grill now stands
    Last edited by jagators63; 03-03-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Once upon a time there were about 3 motels along Kingsway that over time even after Kingsway first opened became for lack of a better word..."Seedy" the expansion of the second phase along with the Bay had them removed....

Ahhhh ... Pinky's show palace. Spent some time there in grade 12 and early uni.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    Once upon a time there were about 3 motels along Kingsway that over time even after Kingsway first opened became for lack of a better word..."Seedy" the expansion of the second phase along with the Bay had them removed....
    Good memory...thanks!

Slight correction...even after phase 2 opened, Kingsway Motor Inn stayed standing west of The Bay until about 15 years ago...this housed the aforementioned Pinkys strip joint.

I remember reading about an infamous fight in the 70s, the 'Battle of the Kingsway Motor Inn', where there was a big dust-up involving the Rebels biker gang and Canadian military paratroopers.

Back to reno's...I was there yesterday and the whole parking lot area around the former Zellers has been fenced off. Must be some major demo/construction about to take place as the exterior of the mall is still somewhat intact.

Also, in other news:

- The former Gamestop by Zellers has moved out, and it looks like a Hallmark store is set to reopen in its place.

- The Disney Store has all kinds of boarding up in front of it with renovation signage; it is set to reopen in Spring 2013. It's kind of a bittersweet thing for me. I always thought that Kingsway's Disney Store was the coolest one in Edmonton because of the cool window display (which is no doubt gone), but at the same time, this reno needed to happen. That 90's era carpet with all the squiggles and triangles was starting to look out of place.

As for that unknown building in the pic...any chance it could be the Big Apple Pub?

The reason for the fencing around Zellers is that it is being converted to a Target. And as such the exterior of the building is getting a facelift to bring into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    The reason for the fencing around Zellers is that it is being converted to a Target. And as such the exterior of the building is getting a facelift to bring into the 21st century.
    Oh, I knew about Zellers being converted into a Target. I was just wondering why the fencing takes up so much space.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanGalhanth View Post
    Oh, I knew about Zellers being converted into a Target. I was just wondering why the fencing takes up so much space.
    If they do the same as at W E M the area will be used for a marshalling area for dumpsters/arriving shipments of metal cladding/light fixtures/store fixtures etc.

Breaking News - CTV
    Police Officer shoot at Kingsway Mall.

Ah ha, now they are saying a 31 year old guy got shot, not an officer.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I was at Kingsway earlier this afternoon. Some of you urbanistas will be horrified by the fact that there's more people in the mall than on Jasper and Whyte Aves.

* It's nice to walk through a mall with almost no vacant spaces...right, City Centre Mall?
    * The Disney store has reopened. I think I liked the previous version better. The revamped store feels smaller, more cramped.
    * The former Zellers and adjacent parking lot west of it has been completely gutted. I don't know what they're doing with the parking lot...expansion for Target?

* The former Zellers and adjacent parking lot west of it has been completely gutted. I don't know what they're doing with the parking lot...expansion for Target?
    Part of Target's lease agreement is that if the property wants a Target to move in, the parking lots around the Target have to be in top condition - no crumbling or otherwise poorly maintained lots. The parking lot on that end of Kingsway wasn't very good.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

^I believe that but as far as I could tell they didn't touch the parking lots until they were within a week or two of opening.

Some of you urbanistas will be horrified by the fact that there's more people in the mall than on Jasper and Whyte Aves.
    I would wager that after West Edmonton mall, Kingsway is consistently the most crowded mall in the city. It seems to never be *not* busy there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg thinks they have a very good mix of retailers in the food court.

And there's several schools either within walking distance or a short bus ride away.

So between all the truants, the mongoloids that work at the mall, and all the fossils that park themselves in the food court and drink coffee all day, Kingsway sees a lot of traffic.

Li'l bit of Top_Dawg's advice: Avoid the washrooms in the food court. After these seniors ply themselves with coffee for a few hours they go to the can and have their five alarm blowouts.

Most days it's enough to gag a maggot in there.

I would wager against kingsway being most crowded after WEM, I'd bet that Southgate is busier/more crowded, kingsway being 3rd.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Kingsway also gets a lot of traffic from nearby employment nodes such as NAIT, Royal Alex and RCMP. Likely see a jump in the number of bodies once Target and the LRT line are opened.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Took a walk through Kingsway Mall this afternoon.

Nothing much has changed, apart from the pending Target.

The mall seemed less busy than I've seen it in the past year. Perhaps the novelty has worn off after its major upgrades?

I find that even though the mall feels more upscale since the reno (except for the Bay and Sears), a good majority of the people in it are decidedly not upscale: cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag. The entire place felt like the collective IQ took a major downswing and I think it started affecting me. So I adjusted my monocle and darted out as quickly as possible!

I didn't make it down to the west entrance, but I read somewhere (I think on SSP) that Smitty's is pulling out of Kingsway Mall and moving to the Boston Pizza location at Princess Elizabeth and 101 St.

^ Other than Southgate you have pretty much described most Edmonton malls. Huge redundant masses of protoplasm shuffling through like a fleet of interstate busses. Most are in search of the 2 things that gives them satisfaction 1) shopping and 2) eating.

You guyz crack Top_Dawg up.

Just incidentally, it sure seems odd to Top_Dawg that there is now a Sobey's Liquor Store on the east side of Kingsway ( by the new Boston Pizza ) yet no Sobey's grocery store.

Is there a Sobey's in the works ?

The mall seemed less busy than I've seen it in the past year. Perhaps the novelty has worn off after its major upgrades?
    I don't know why it would have been less busy a couple days ago.

I was there last Saturday and it was packed. REALLY packed.

I find that even though the mall feels more upscale since the reno (except for the Bay and Sears), a good majority of the people in it are decidedly not upscale: cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag. The entire place felt like the collective IQ took a major downswing and I think it started affecting me. So I adjusted my monocle and darted out as quickly as possible!

I didn't make it down to the west entrance, but I read somewhere (I think on SSP) that Smitty's is pulling out of Kingsway Mall and moving to the Boston Pizza location at Princess Elizabeth and 101 St.
    Prejudge much? I think you missed a very district overly opinionated entitled white guy contingent in your list of people observations.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

...cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag.
    How is that different than any other shopping mall?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Hey, at least WEM, Southgate and City Centre/Manulife are frequented by a wider mixture of people, including fashionistas, hipsters, the clean cut and the well-heeled!

But on a more serious note, the millions spent on upscaling Kingsway may be for naught if it is unable to attract more affluent shoppers, which I presume was the intent here.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

To jump back to another point in yesterday's post, it would be interesting to see what happens with the Smittys space when they leave.

Albert's?

I am the minority but I do miss the old dark brown brick interior of Kingsway, it reminded me of old castles.

I went to Kingsway the week before Christmas in the evening and it was dead. It was shocking. I have to say I'm sincerely saddened the River City Games store was closed. I also felt that the sheen and shimmer from the renos seems to have faded. Southgate a few weeks before that was positively packed, and just seemed like it had more going for it.

^River City Games just moved upstairs.

It's always busy when I'm there.
    www.decl.org

^ Other than Southgate you have pretty much described most Edmonton malls. Huge redundant masses of protoplasm shuffling through like a fleet of interstate busses. Most are in search of the 2 things that gives them satisfaction 1) shopping and 2) eating.
    Well whatever bus you are someone needs to pop your tires.

Awh, and was that you sitting by the window picking your nose.

That is exactly right!! Quite funny

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^River City Games just moved upstairs.
    I kinda thought there was a store that went missing from the main floor.

I love the irony here..
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Albert's?

I am the minority but I do miss the old dark brown brick interior of Kingsway, it reminded me of old castles.
    I had the same sorta feelings about the old outisde facade of Southgate, before they added those totally tacky Town Centre trappings.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

According to someone on SSP, Smitty's lease rate was jacked up, hence the move. I'm guessing that Kingsway wants a higher class resto opening there, like an Earls or something.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 11-02-2014 at 01:08 PM.

^ The stand alone Moxies on site is Sad Sad Sad... The old smitties local would make a good new home.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

That would be nice.

The last time Top_Dawg was in the Moxie's it was really getting run down.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I've always regarded Moxies as a poor man's Earls, though I know they've been moving upscale.

sadly not that location... its very gross. Not gross dirty but gross aesthetically.

So... how does it compare to the population of the City Centre East food court?

...a good majority of the people in it are decidedly not upscale: cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag.
    You are describing a mall sub culture that can exist pretty much in any city. Kingsway by virtue of its somewhat more central location and proximity to older neighborhoods has its own specific local fauna.

But more revealing is that habitation of malls for recreational purposes for large portions of the local population is a characteristic of Edmonton that really only has Whyte Aveue as an outdoor boulevard promenade experience. A condition that hopefully will be alleviated soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    So... how does it compare to the population of the City Centre East food court?
    Sounds like the airport waiting areas.

The new Target looks GREAT!

^ It does brighten up that corner now, doesn't it?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I cant wait till its open!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    ...a good majority of the people in it are decidedly not upscale: cowboys, trailer trash, gangsta types with tattoo-covered necks, obese couples talking really loud at each other, and a couple of near-homeless types trudging around with a suitcase and a garbage bag.
    You are describing a mall sub culture that can exist pretty much in any city. Kingsway by virtue of its somewhat more central location and proximity to older neighborhoods has its own specific local fauna.

But more revealing is that habitation of malls for recreational purposes for large portions of the local population is a characteristic of Edmonton that really only has Whyte Aveue as an outdoor boulevard promenade experience. A condition that hopefully will be alleviated soon.
    I dunno. I think you could probably open up a dozen Whyte Avenues all over Edmonton, without putting much of a dent in the indoor-mall subculture.

Confession: I am an unabashed, middle-aged mall rat. And there is something appealing about being inside an indoor-mall that you don't get walking down the streets of a market-district. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's something I definitely sense. A cozier feeling, maybe?

^ Malls make my soul cry.. and I was raised on "mall" culture.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ Malls make my soul cry.. and I was raised on "mall" culture.
    To each their own. The only mall that really grinds me down is WEM, which seems to infect me with some sort of "sick building syndrome" whenever I go there. I always emerge feeling like I've just eaten really bad buffet food or something.

And, like your mall-culture upbringing, I was pretty much immersed in Old Strathcona cafe/bar culture for about fifteen years, and by the end of that had really grown to dislike it. It's the one part of Edmonton that I'm most anxious to avoid when I visit.

(And no, Triple 5 legal team, I am not actually suggesting that there is sickness in the air or wnywhere else at WEM.)

^ I just like unique and independent... malls by nature are cookie cutter... same stores, same eats, same marketing, same same same...

its fine it's just nor me and that's why my soul cries.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Would love to see what becomes of the Target space. That gut and rebuild was all for naught for them.

Perhaps it gives Macy's, Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus a new shell to put in a store.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Perhaps it gives Macy's, Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus a new shell to put in a store.
    Nordstrom's would be most likely since they are opening stores in Canada.
    Macy's has no plans to open up across the border.
    Dunno know about Neiman, I'm guessing no.
    Walmart is a likely candidate.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wal is my bet given the proximity to their enemy Loblaws.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast