Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingsway Mall

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    did you all know that WEM owners which involved 3 brothers also owns mall of america in minneapolis, minnesota
    Amongst other things...

http://www.triplefive.com/en/pages/home
    Did you read any of their website? they use a Shot of ECC as their "experience" in Urban revitalization ....The picture is so old it shows Eatons, and the Midland Walwyn logo on the CityCentre Tower in the back .That and the Fantasyland Hotel as a world renowned resort destination

Talking about "paddiing" your resume......LOL
    Last edited by NielCole; 08-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The Bay and Zellers are in very sad states right now. I don't know what the sales numbers are for these two store but with a clean up of both stores and some minor renovations they could probably do far better numbers. With a larger facelift both stores could do monumental numbers in sales. If not close up and make room for Target and JC Penney.
    This isn't a snipe at Canadian stores in general, but The Bay and Zellers are just horrible chains. Bring on Target and JC Penney from south of the border.
    The Bay has been improving with the newest American owners, It's a lot of work though, some of the newer brands such as Black/Brown 1826 are the "house" brands created for Lord & Taylor They are also a lot cleaner than they used to be,It seems someone has been teaching the staff to pick product off the floor.

Was in Toronto at the begining of the month, the Queen Street Flagship is undergoing a bit of a reno , they reintroduced the high end "Room" department for women after a 20 year absence. They seem to have done wrok locally at Londonderry,

Kingsway, and CityCentre need some help, the best local branches remain Southgate, WEM, and St Albert in that order as they are neatand well kept.

HBC has profited from an Olympic "bounce" in brand awareness due to the success of the merchandise from the games and according to various articles in the press afterwards they plan on continuing to upgrade the company.

Zellers, however, bleh.

I have been to target store in michigan few times a couple of years ago and they are so clean and brighter store
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Fashion Guy moves from WEM to Kingsway
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...906/story.html

Out of curiosity what did he do there for 16 years? I don't recall ever hearing of him if he was the "face" of fashion marketing at WEM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The Bay and Zellers are in very sad states right now. I don't know what the sales numbers are for these two store but with a clean up of both stores and some minor renovations they could probably do far better numbers. With a larger facelift both stores could do monumental numbers in sales. If not close up and make room for Target and JC Penney.
    This isn't a snipe at Canadian stores in general, but The Bay and Zellers are just horrible chains. Bring on Target and JC Penney from south of the border.
    The Bay has been improving with the newest American owners, It's a lot of work though, some of the newer brands such as Black/Brown 1826 are the "house" brands created for Lord & Taylor They are also a lot cleaner than they used to be,It seems someone has been teaching the staff to pick product off the floor.

Was in Toronto at the begining of the month, the Queen Street Flagship is undergoing a bit of a reno , they reintroduced the high end "Room" department for women after a 20 year absence. They seem to have done wrok locally at Londonderry,

Kingsway, and CityCentre need some help, the best local branches remain Southgate, WEM, and St Albert in that order as they are neatand well kept.

HBC has profited from an Olympic "bounce" in brand awareness due to the success of the merchandise from the games and according to various articles in the press afterwards they plan on continuing to upgrade the company.

Zellers, however, bleh.

northgate needs help too but northtown have changed alot due to big renovation being done and this place does look much better than a year ago or 2

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Out of curiosity what did he do there for 16 years? I don't recall ever hearing of him if he was the "face" of fashion marketing at WEM.
    He did those "Eye on Fashion" segments on Global News, although those segments seemed to be more about WEM promotion than fashion.

And this thread is about Kingsway - we already have enough threads about WEM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

He did those "Eye on Fashion" segments on Global News, although those segments seemed to be more about WEM promotion than fashion.

And this thread is about Kingsway - we already have enough threads about WEM.
    Well perhaps he will actually do "fashion marketing" at Kingsway then, rather than shameless mall self promotion. Since K'way now has a solid core of fashoin stores that people want to shop at. (Zellers excluded|)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I stopped by Kingsway for the first time since Christmas. It was busier than I ever remember before, so the renovations/reinvention is obviously helping to lure people in.

Edmonton Motors is gone - yeah, like selling cars in an indoor mall was a brilliant idea - so now there's a huge space available on the lower level near Sears.

The Bay still looks like it is one bad sales year away from closing shop. I ended up buying some clothes out of pity.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I stopped by Kingsway for the first time since Christmas. It was busier than I ever remember before, so the renovations/reinvention is obviously helping to lure people in.

Edmonton Motors is gone - yeah, like selling cars in an indoor mall was a brilliant idea - so now there's a huge space available on the lower level near Sears.

The Bay still looks like it is one bad sales year away from closing shop. I ended up buying some clothes out of pity.
    Stopped by last week since I was visiting a relative at the Norwood Extended care centre, It did look like The Bay either mopped the floors or vacuumed the rugs it WAS cleaner. but here is a radical idea put some merchandise in that very sparse area they call menswear.........

As for Edmonton Motors in a mall I would say a car is a rather impulse type purchase after picking up some stuff at H&M and Bath and Bodyworks, it beats taking the bus home....
    Last edited by NielCole; 10-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.

I am curious if anyone knows if any job openings are in kingsway.

Quote Originally Posted by Candi View Post
    I am curious if anyone knows if any job openings are in kingsway.
    Try their website as some malls advertise various job postings that their tenants are advertising.
    hint
    Bench and PINK are opening stores in the mall very soon and they should have info up on either their websites or on the storefronts themselves.
    IF you are looking for a position at one of the majors like Sears TheBay or Zellers try online but Sears has a large human resources department on the lower level that had applications and positions posted (I noticed this last week as it's next to the public washrooms LOL)

The best way to go is (and I know this from being in retail all my life is)
    Take a day, dress for an interview and hit every single store that you might be interested in. be prepared take a resume and make a positive, professional first impression.

I know for a fact that in most retail stores the manager will be impressed that if you look serious and ready to work while filling out or asking for an application the chances of landing an interview increase substantially.

I cannot begin to tell you how many applications we "tossed" because someone showed up in very casualwear to drop off an application. It's how the game works at least in retail. It possibly is the last sector of business where you stand a chance of walking in off the street and getting a job.

I hope this helps

Heard that they are commencing planning the addition of a third tier / floor as soon as the election is over

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Heard that they are commencing planning the addition of a third tier / floor as soon as the election is over
    On the mall? Why wait till after the election?

That doesn't make much sense given that they just renovated the place, too. They would have to rip out a fair bit of that work to add a floor, assuming that such a thing is structurally possible to begin with.
    Strathcona City Separatist

if they're going to do anything they should get rid of the building between the mall and the Avonair Curling Club. It's been vacant since about 2003. Get a tenant in there already!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Not sure, but I think the Avonair is going to be knocked down for LRT extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
    On the mall? Why wait till after the election?
    hmmmm source?

As posted above they just finished a reno so that doesn,t make sense that they would add more to it soo soon. Also as you well know the runway isn't closed yet and we have all seen how close planes coming in buzz the roof of the existing building, Constructoon cranes etc and another story doesn't seem possible yet.....

Not sure, but I think the Avonair is going to be knocked down for LRT extension.
    The vacant building is the old Sears Auto centre. would take a lot of "remodelling" to turn it into something else. it's also in a bad location. Though the old Auto Centre at Sears WEM is a Cactus Club and the former Woodwards auto centre at Southgate is now a Scotiabank/Dental Office so it is possible.

I think Blueline's making a funny. Tying in the closure of CCA with a boom in new height devel. in the area.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^ Subtle, if true.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    ^ Subtle, if true.

Subtle isn't the word, obscure would be far better.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I was at Kingsway Mall tonight, and witnessed a tale of 2 department stores.

The Bay:
    Minimal merchandise, was so quiet and devoid of shoppers that one could hear a pin drop.

Sears:
    Crazy-busy, especially in the cosmetics section. All 3 floors packed with merchandise and shoppers. I think this is still Edmonton's flagship for them if I'm not mistaken.

I was at Kingsway Mall tonight, and witnessed a tale of 2 department stores.

The Bay:
    Minimal merchandise, was so quiet and devoid of shoppers that one could hear a pin drop.

Sears:
    Crazy-busy, especially in the cosmetics section. All 3 floors packed with merchandise and shoppers. I think this is still Edmonton's flagship for them if I'm not mistaken.
    Kingsway Bay is lame no doubt about it. Mens wear is politely what I would call "spacious" the brands and selection that branch carries is pretty sad.
    HBC knows it's market at Southgate it's always busy but the Kingsway branch seems to be the b*****d child.....too close to the CityCentre branch to really be viable.
    Considering how K'way has renovated and brought in a lot of newer more fashionable stores you would think the Bay would make some sort of attempt to get people in the door. I mean the mall is always BUSY!!!!!

I think both Sears in both Kingsway and Southgate are what they consider flagships. since they are probably two of the largest suburban Sears in the country being each has three levels.
    The only larger ones I know of are Pacific Centre and Eaton Centre being former Eatons stores but both of those have been downsized from their Eatons and Eatons owned by Sears days.

I worked for (Eatons/Sears) in Vancouver at the time.
    Last edited by NielCole; 09-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

BTW if Kingsway Mall wants any of my Christmas shopping dollars this year, they better have a gift wrapping service. They didn't have one last year. Other malls usually have some charity group do the gift wrapping for donations.

BTW if Kingsway Mall wants any of my Christmas shopping dollars this year, they better have a gift wrapping service. They didn't have one last year. Other malls usually have some charity group do the gift wrapping for donations.
    Wow! Thats bizarre. Major malls pride themselves on the service and the "community service/charity group" aspect of it.
    Time will tell I suppose Keep your eyes peeled. Triple555 I can see being lame in that regards but not Kingsway.
    They now have the perfect space as well upstairs next to the elevators above the main entrance.....

the bay really hasn't done much to let the public know its upped its brands and such - they really need to get the word out better
    Sears recently brought in a bunch of new brands and made a big deal about it with ads on TV and in the papers etc
    I was at the bay store last weekend in richmond and it was really busy i have never seen it so busy but they have a better selection than most bay stores

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I wouldn't even know if a store brought in new brands and advertised this fact on TV as I can't even remember the last time I actually watched live TV. Other than maybe for an election, it's been YEARS! Thank you PVR!!!

A bajillion dollar renovation at Kingsway and there isn't a single water fountain in the whole mall? Bathroom taps that only dispense warm water? And finding somewhere to lock your bike, forget about it. They don't get my business.

C2E Long Term Contributor

One cool thing they recently added...

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I've never understood the draw of water fountains in malls. There is enough white noise without the sound of rushing water added in.

I could give or take water fountains, but I'm with ajs on bike parking. There are a few racks underneath the parkade, but none on the top level, which would be much easier to get to when approaching from the East on a bike. I haven't looked as hard on the west side of the mall, but I don't recall seeing any there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    I've never understood the draw of water fountains in malls. There is enough white noise without the sound of rushing water added in.
    Given the mention of warm water from bathroom faucets right afterwards, I think it's safe to say that ajs was talking about the type of water fountain that you drink from.
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Sorry, let me clear something up. I am lamenting the lack of public drinking fountains in the mall.

^ In that case, I agree with you there too. Drinking fountains or cold water taps have become more and more difficult to find. Much to the delight, I'm sure, of those who sell the stuff at huge markups.

You would actually drink from a fountain in a mall? Can you imagine how filthy and contaminated those things must be? I'm shocked they even allow them to be included in new construction anymore.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ how do mall water fountains differ than the ones at the airport, schools, etc? Are those all dirty too? I play volleyball twice a week and drink from them and am alive to tell about it lol.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

As for the decorative/arty water fountains, they haven't really been seen in malls in years if not decades. The ones in Southgate are long gone, and I'll bet they're not as much of a presence in WEM these days. But they belong in parks and greenspaces, not malls.

^agreed... Water fountains in malls are so 1980's
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

As for the decorative/arty water fountains, they haven't really been seen in malls in years if not decades. The ones in Southgate are long gone, and I'll bet they're not as much of a presence in WEM these days. But they belong in parks and greenspaces, not malls.
    Southgate still has it's main fountain in the centre court that they use unless covered up for fashion shows or Santa. (except for the water jets) And the ones lining the main mall of WEM are still there though they ditched the main fountains by the Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by PIanO View Post
    One cool thing they recently added...

In this small snapshot it still looks like there is a fair amount of traffic in the mall parking lot. Now, take this same snap shot at Xmas. How many of those spaces will be taken up by green cars.These spaces are just a punch up waiting to happen. Personally, I think it's a lousy idea. I would much rather see more parking spaces dedicated to the disabled than for green vehicles. Just because someone drives a green vehicle what makes them elite from the rest.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Are Green spots enforceable like handicap spots are?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    No. Just like "Parents with small children" stalls aren't enforceable.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The Bay/Sears difference at Kingsway is probably a function of the crowd.

Shoppers at Kingsway have always seemed a notch less affluent than the Southgate crowd.

And the Bay remains a little more upscale than Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    So does this mean anybody who drives a hybrid can use these spots?
    Which would range from a Prius to the much much larger Camrys or even larger Ford Escapes???????
    Since the city is hardly awash in electric vehicles....At this point in time these stalls seem rather silly.

Which would range from a Prius to the much much larger Camrys or even larger Ford Escapes???????
    Since the city is hardly awash in electric vehicles....At this point in time these stalls seem rather silly.
    Yes, anyone with a hybrid can park in these spaces (not that there's anything they could do about it if you parked a Hummer there).

Yes, anyone with a hybrid can park in these spaces (not that there's anything they could do about it if you parked a Hummer there).
    Rather pointless then since a hybrid Hummer or Escape or F150 would still be far less carbon friendly than a gas powered Yaris or Fusion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And does a hybrid SUV count? Is there a specific MPG requirement? City or highway? What about a Porsche 918? Are they going to ask the driver if he drove in electric or sport mode, or if he plugged in before his drive?

Silliness.

It will be interesting to see how long they last. I can see a fair amount of people being ticked about this. It would be interesting to watch a guy in a F350 take a spot from grandma driving her newly acquired green machine. I can see grandma getting a whooped ***** as festive music plays in the backround.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Update:
    I stopped by Kingsway this afternoon. While I was there, I stopped by the customer service desk to ask if they will have a gift-wrapping service during the Christmas shopping season. The girl said no. I thanked her for the information, and then stated that I will be doing my Christmas shopping at other malls. All she could do is shrug and apologize.

So no gift-wrapping service at Kingsway. Southgate, WEM, City Centre...hello!

^^^ I think there is gift wrapping service at londonderry mall as I went there few hrs ago today.

Update:
    I stopped by Kingsway this afternoon. While I was there, I stopped by the customer service desk to ask if they will have a gift-wrapping service during the Christmas shopping season. The girl said no. I thanked her for the information, and then stated that I will be doing my Christmas shopping at other malls. All she could do is shrug and apologize.

So no gift-wrapping service at Kingsway. Southgate, WEM, City Centre...hello!
    That is soooo bizarre.. Doesn't the Ladies from the Hadassah Organization gift wrap in various malls anymore? They used to. Or has it come down to liability issues? A sad commentary on the "festive" season.

Update...Googled Edmonton Mall Gift Wrapping services.

Londonderry $4 per gift
    Edmonton CityCentre free with receipt from mall merchants.
    Southgate lists Gift Wrapping on their website.
    Last edited by NielCole; 21-11-2010 at 06:41 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ I spoke to the Guest Services lady at City Centre the other day, and she said their gift wrap service starts December.

I'm quite sure WEM has a Christmas gift-wrapping service as well, but their website, besides being crap on a stick, is a couple of weeks out of date.

^ I spoke to the Guest Services lady at City Centre the other day, and she said their gift wrap service starts December.

I'm quite sure WEM has a Christmas gift-wrapping service as well, but their website, besides being crap on a stick, is a couple of weeks out of date.
    Isn't everything about WEM (aside from particular stores found nowhere else in the city) Crap on a stick?...

^No.

I remember WEM when it was just Phase 1 and than Phase 2 was coming and it was so exciting and the Phase 3 was coming and it was like going to be even better and i knew every store i needed to hit

I live close to Kingsway, so it is my default mall. Last year I did not see a service in the mall proper, but there were two in Zellers. One charity one (I don't remember who) by the entrance to the mall, and one Zeller's one (way too expensive) by the restaurant. The charity ladies were fast and very friendly and cheerful.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    I remember WEM when it was just Phase 1 and than Phase 2 was coming and it was so exciting and the Phase 3 was coming and it was like going to be even better and i knew every store i needed to hit
    Not to sidetrack things. WEM compared to Kingsway or Southgate is still stuck in the 1980's. Piecemeal upkeep & additions, lousy maintenance (the escalator by Hollister has been out of service for 2 weeks now)
    The only thing it has going for it, Is it still manages to land most of the new retailers to Edmonton to it first though that is changing.
    Keihls, Bench, Restoration Hardware, RW-Co are in Southgate
    Bench, RW-Co are in Kingsway.
    Kingsway has managed to atract a PINK, H&M while Southgate has captured BR, Zara, Michael Kors, Coach, Guess, Browns, Pusch giving local shoppers a choice to avoid WEM.

Both Kingsway and Southgate have had their owners invest in the malls while WEM plods along as usual doing as little as possible.
    It's crowded and everyspare space has some crappy booth, kiosk, kiddie ride, cluttering up the place while Kingsway have left some space so shoppers can actually see where they are going.

Maybe if WEM dropped some coin on the place and upgraded the decor, exterior, and fixed the dingy, leaky parking decks around The Bay, Sears and Zellers I might change my mind but as I said I won't hold my breath.

SO yes (at least in my opinion) WEM) for most reasons is crap on a stick.
    Give me Southgate or Kingsway anyday.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    I live close to Kingsway, so it is my default mall. Last year I did not see a service in the mall proper, but there were two in Zellers. One charity one (I don't remember who) by the entrance to the mall, and one Zeller's one (way too expensive) by the restaurant. The charity ladies were fast and very friendly and cheerful.
    I usually avoid Zellers like the plague, but maybe I'll look into that.

You may be surprised :
    You are likely to get better service in Zellers than in the bay (Kingsway)
    Same co.
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

You may be surprised :
    You are likely to get better service in Zellers than in the bay (Kingsway)
    Same co.
    Well the staff seems nonexistant at the Bay Kingsway.....

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    Not to sidetrack things. WEM compared to Kingsway or Southgate is still stuck in the 1980's. Piecemeal upkeep & additions, lousy maintenance (the escalator by Hollister has been out of service for 2 weeks now)
    The only thing it has going for it, Is it still manages to land most of the new retailers to Edmonton to it first though that is changing.
    Keihls, Bench, Restoration Hardware, RW-Co are in Southgate
    Bench, RW-Co are in Kingsway.
    Kingsway has managed to atract a PINK, H&M while Southgate has captured BR, Zara, Michael Kors, Coach, Guess, Browns, Pusch giving local shoppers a choice to avoid WEM.

Both Kingsway and Southgate have had their owners invest in the malls while WEM plods along as usual doing as little as possible.
    It's crowded and everyspare space has some crappy booth, kiosk, kiddie ride, cluttering up the place while Kingsway have left some space so shoppers can actually see where they are going.

Maybe if WEM dropped some coin on the place and upgraded the decor, exterior, and fixed the dingy, leaky parking decks around The Bay, Sears and Zellers I might change my mind but as I said I won't hold my breath.

SO yes (at least in my opinion) WEM) for most reasons is crap on a stick.
    Give me Southgate or Kingsway anyday.
    i haven't been to WEM since january 1990 so i guess i remember it in its prime - i've heard its quite dumpy now

my friends stayed at the hotel a couple summers ago and said it was such a dump and they thought it was awful - the room was dirty and outdated and felt like it was way overpriced

Kingsway and Southgate in my eyes are the pre eminant centres in the city for contemporary style in both the malls and the food courts.
    WEM (again aside from having certain stores that are nowhere else in town but that is changing is a joke)
    The only reason you HAVE to go to WEM for are.
    Anthropologie, A&F, AFKids, Hollister, Murale, Gstar, Energie Miss Sixty, Murale, Victoria's Secret, Harry Rosen, LuckyJeans.
    Other major American/International chains have opened in second or third or fourth branches in other malls including Kingsway and Southgate a couple of them skipping WEM altogether like Kiehls, Restoration Hardware and Bench.

Kingsway was never my favourite mall but since the reno I like to go every now and then for a change. It and Southgate have gotten far stronger while WEM treads water on almost everything The second food court still has a huge abundance of neon for gawds sake.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I have always enjoyed Kingsway, before and after renovations.WEM is a huge white elephant, with tired repetitive stores.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The second food court still has a huge abundance of neon for gawds sake.
    I realize retail is all about trend and fashion, but you know, could it be that the old-fashioned neon is just the equivalent of the endless eighties pop piped over the loudspeakers everywhere (not just WEM) -- instant nostalgia for a society in a deep and unsettling sense no longer capable of moving forward?

if it is, its presence only helps them keep the customer numbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    The second food court still has a huge abundance of neon for gawds sake.
    I realize retail is all about trend and fashion, but you know, could it be that the old-fashioned neon is just the equivalent of the endless eighties pop piped over the loudspeakers everywhere (not just WEM) -- instant nostalgia for a society in a deep and unsettling sense no longer capable of moving forward?

if it is, its presence only helps them keep the customer numbers up.
    I will agree with you on the tired 80's music in stores. SAVE-ON foods at Mayfield is a major criminal in that regards.

Most of the stores in WEM are not overly tired or repetitive (though some are, ZAZOO comes to mind it hasn't changed since the day it openend in 81)
    The newer stores are flagships of their respective chains. But the mall itself is dated, cluttered, and totally underwhelming for it's size.
    Triple 555 still thinks WEM is the only real act in town and doesn't seem to realize that Kingsway, Southgate, and even downtown have a far superior customer shopping experience. And while I hate SEC it beats slogging through WEM on many points.

Sad but true. How far can the mall decay before Triple 5 does something about it?

[QUOTE=darrell yvr;334110]
    I will agree with you on the tired 80's music in stores. SAVE-ON foods at Mayfield is a major criminal in that regards.

I think the reason you hear a lot of 80's music in the stores is the people of the generation (now it their 50's) that listened to that type of music are usually the ones doing most of the shopping. That age group and teens have most of the disposable income. Anyway, I really cannot see Save-On or malls playing rap music or heavy metal. Usually headbangers do not have a lot of disposable income.

when i was a kid it was all 60's 70's music in the stores and that was during the 80's

elevator Depeche mod. Yahhhh

Sad but true. How far can the mall decay before Triple 5 does something about it?
    The way they operate they will get eventually desperate enough to "renovate" meaning slapping some cheap tile, paint, over the glass, brass and mirrors that infest the place and call it "A Reno"
    The shopping mall equivalent of painting over the wood panelling in your basement. It fools nobody lipstick on a pig is just that.

They have let it slide to the point that almost nothing is consistant. Brass railings upstairs black and cherry wood ones downtstairs around the fountians.
    The new seating area where the whale used to be is white and "modern" and matches nothing else. Unused subs, with remote controlled boats and the inflated tube things in the lagoon. tacky 1980's neon and gaudy statuary and chandeliers......

A cross between an cheap Atlantic city Casino and some State Fair in ButtSquat Arkansas. (Don't say it Andy I know what your thinking.....)

I have been to WEM countless times over the last 25 years and have never come away from the mall feeling it is a dump. I have always enjoyed the various entertainment areas (water park, the amusement park, burbon street, jubilations, deep sea adventure etc...) and found them to be clean and well maintained. Although the mall could use renovations the individual stores are modern and clean. WEM is still a very nice attraction for the City of Edmonton whether or not the mall itself is a little dated.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Why does every mall topic on this board turn into a whinefest about WEM?

Because it's the 800 pound gorilla in the room? The sheer gravity of the place will taint any discussion of retail in this town.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

And Mall are engineered to make us feel anxious and somewhat depressed. It increases your want to spend.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have been to WEM countless times over the last 25 years and have never come away from the mall feeling it is a dump. I have always enjoyed the various entertainment areas (water park, the amusement park, burbon street, jubilations, deep sea adventure etc...) and found them to be clean and well maintained. Although the mall could use renovations the individual stores are modern and clean. WEM is still a very nice attraction for the City of Edmonton whether or not the mall itself is a little dated.
    I think the point being is that Kingsway USED to be dated in a brick 70's sort of way ditto for Southgate. But they renovated enhanced their retail offerings and arguably are the best malls in the city in alot of respects.

WEM has a lock on most of the local branches of major American/International retailers so thats in it's favour but take a really close look at the thousand little details that seem to get ignored and it ads up to a dated less than fantastic shopping centre.

Kingsway is just that, a shopping centre nothing more nothing less. It serves its quadrant of the city in an exceptional way and has moved slightly more upmarket by attracting a more diverse and branded tenant roster. It's clean and contemporary and actually quite pleasant to shop in.

Now if they could just renovate the Bay at Kingsway so there's a half decent anchor store there...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I see that Victoria's Secret is opening soon in Kingsway.
    Is it just me, or does Kingsway seem to have a lot of lingerie stores for a mall its size?

Interesting. There's already a Victoria's Secret 'Pink' stiore there, I believe.
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E SME

No, I don't think there is any Victoria Secret store in kingway yet. As for lingerie stores, I have no problem if they want to set up as many as they like, but they have to have the models to go with them too.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ I said it's coming SOON. Go check out their website.

So Kingsway is the city's lingerie mall, Southgate is the mall for jewlllery (there are 13 jewelry stores that I count if you include the Bay and Sears), and WEM is our destination for hallway kiosk junk. Lol

So Kingsway is the city's lingerie mall, Southgate is the mall for jewlllery (there are 13 jewelry stores that I count if you include the Bay and Sears), and WEM is our destination for hallway kiosk junk. Lol
    I was stunned to count two (!!) kiosks selling those stupid shiny laser-cut wind ornaments last weekend.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I noticed today that Victoria's Secret has huge pink signage and is going to open it's second VS store on the second floor across from the GAP sometime this fall. Obviously they have done well with the PINK store on the main level in Kingsway and are expanding the flagship brand in the city to two stores.

This is definetly going to expand etownboarders thought that Kingways Lingerie domination in the city continues.
    Last edited by NielCole; 29-08-2011 at 07:18 PM.

^I got new underwear yesterday.........................Well, it was new to me

C2E Bandwidth Hog

This is definetly going to expand etownboarders thought that Kingways Lingerie domination in the city continues.
    *I* said that! Not that I'm complaining though. I really should go there more often and...people-watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Pics?

And Gem is in with the most recent entry into quote of the year. nice.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^^As per your request.

*I* said that! Not that I'm complaining though. I really should go there more often and...people-watch!
    Well it was pretty attractive for what I like to see out shopping (but they go shopping in underwear not lingerie stores ) and yes you posted it first I just had forgotten aobut it until I saw the huge pink wall with my own eyes!

With VS, Gap, American Eagle, Bath & BodyWorks on that corner you could swear your shopping in a mall in the states.
    Last edited by NielCole; 30-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.

I'm a big fan of Kingsway Mall. I often wonder why they do'nt open a Dollarama store there. There are not many people (especially women) that walk past a Dollarama store.
    With Kingsway getting lots of shoppers it would do very well in that mall. I doubt it would bring down the tone of the place. Dollarama would more than likely bring in as much money as some of the small clothing stores there.

After all that money spent classing the place up & with the tired Zellers about to get a refurb into a Target a Dollarama would look a little hillbilly.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^No way, there is a Dollarama in Southgate and that's a good mall. I have never heard anyone say Dollarama was Hillbilly. That's kinda funny. Anyway, they could always put it down one of the smaller corridors.

Well, technically Wal-Mart is hillbilly, Dollarama is sub-hillbilly.

^Well tell that to the Hillbilly's that shop at Southgate Mall. 99% of the time there is a line up at the Dollarama.

I'm a big fan of Kingsway Mall. I often wonder why they do'nt open a Dollarama store there. There are not many people (especially women) that walk past a Dollarama store.
    With Kingsway getting lots of shoppers it would do very well in that mall. I doubt it would bring down the tone of the place. Dollarama would more than likely bring in as much money as some of the small clothing stores there.
    If Southgate (MY favourite mall) can support a Dollarama downstairs in the former epl branch space it is odd how Kingsway doesn't have one.

If i'm shopping in Southgate and wan't a coke I hit the Dollarama store since they are $1. I suppose its because Kingsway has a huge Shoppers Drug Mart that is the so-called "cheaper" store in the mall. That and Zellers but they never seem to have pop and stuff like on promotion that much alot of the time for the deal at shoppers you have to buy two.

You can always see mall staff in the Dollarama store in S'gate One in Kingsway would blow Shoppers out of the water for snacks, etc.

Well at Xmas time usually I head to Dollarama for Xmas bags etc:. I hardly know anyone (especially women) that go into Dollarama for one thing and actually come out with one thing. Usually it's at least $10 later and they leave. Never have I heard of the store being hillbilly.

If i'm shopping in Southgate and wan't a coke I hit the Dollarama store since they are $1.
    They should change their name to "Reasonably Priced Bottled Beverages Etc.". If one's reasonably close I'll go a little out of my way to get a cheap drink.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Well at Xmas time usually I head to Dollarama for Xmas bags etc:. I hardly know anyone (especially women) that go into Dollarama for one thing and actually come out with one thing. Usually it's at least $10 later and they leave. Never have I heard of the store being hillbilly.
    Just ignore the Hillbilly comments it's probably from a Walmart junkie.. Or someone willing to pay $2.79 plus deposit and tax for a run of the mill bottle of Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    If i'm shopping in Southgate and wan't a coke I hit the Dollarama store since they are $1.
    They should change their name to "Reasonably Priced Bottled Beverages Etc.". If one's reasonably close I'll go a little out of my way to get a cheap drink.
    EXACTAMUNDO!!!!!! Will walk from the Apple store to the opposite end of Southgate for a 1 buck bottle of coke.

I would hazard a guess that 90% of the shoppers at Dollarama are women. Men cannot find a bargain if it stared them in the face (unless it's pop, apparently). No offence darrell as I know you will agree a Dollarama in Kingsway would go down very, very well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast