Thread: Downtown Urban Campus - Jasper Avenue

C2E SME

Default Downtown Urban Campus - Jasper Avenue

Local business pitches 'downtown urban campus' as vacant office space solution

JASON HERRING Updated: October 10, 2019

An Edmonton design and development company wants to create a new-look downtown by converting the ground floors of vacant office buildings into retail hubs.

In total, Makespace says they want to redevelop one million square feet of unused downtown real estate into mixed-use space for retail stores and amenities.

The company detailed their vision for a “downtown urban campus” on Jasper Avenue between 100 and 102 Street, including ATB Place and the Royal Bank Building, that Makespace CEO Ken Bautista says is the first step in this redevelopment.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...t-office-space
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

But how will we keep the Downtown Urban Campus district separate from the Downtown Warehouse Campus district?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    But how will we keep the Downtown Urban Campus district separate from the Downtown Warehouse Campus district?
    Different light standards and sidewalks. Easy. Just going to take 20 years to study it with outside consultants.

I'm intrigued to hear more about this...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Well, according to Bautista interview this morning on CBC radio we'll know the campus district by the concentration of encephalitic craniums - cause of all their bulging brains. What a maroon - it was a terrible interview. The "tech city" cheerleaders are incredibly grating and a little scepticism from local media would be most welcome.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Downtown retail is already struggling as evidenced by the growing number of vacant store fronts along Jasper Ave, City Centre Mall, and the main floors of many of the newer residential towers that can stay empty for years after the building opens.

And this chap is proposing to add even more retail space in existing downtown office towers to what is already an over-supplied market? Makes no sense.

I've lived right there 100-102 for 15+ years, and I know from experience what works - ie, the businesses that stay and don't collapse. And that is... line 100-102 with Wok Box's and Subways!!! Those two establishments have been on Jasper since the dawn of time

Maybe a few pay day loan companys and a cash canada pawn shop too
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

If you think of them as "vacancies" you're not using the appropriate mindset & clearly do not want Edmonton to succeed. Unused, unleased spaces Downtown are "opportunities" & "possibilities", not liabilities.

Please correct your thinking.

/s
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Downtown retail is already struggling as evidenced by the growing number of vacant store fronts along Jasper Ave, City Centre Mall, and the main floors of many of the newer residential towers that can stay empty for years after the building opens.

And this chap is proposing to add even more retail space in existing downtown office towers to what is already an over-supplied market? Makes no sense.
    This is less about adding new retail space and more about creating more compelling, experiential places.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

"It's not about quantifiable goals that can succeed or fail, it's purely nebulous, buzzword-infused qualitative nonsense that doesn't actually mean anything to anyone."

Gotcha.

Activating space

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If you think of them as "vacancies" you're not using the appropriate mindset & clearly do not want Edmonton to succeed. Unused, unleased spaces Downtown are "opportunities" & "possibilities", not liabilities.

Please correct your thinking.

/s
    Upgradable

Version 2.0’able

“I think if we don’t start doing something with these empty buildings on Jasper, we’re going to start seeing these towers degrade in value,” he said. “And the worst thing is, when you just have empty spaces, the street starts to die and you start losing energy on Jasper Avenue, which is our main flagship street.”
    He's absolutely right. And 40 years late.

(taken from the link in the original post)

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

This is less about adding new retail space and more about creating more compelling, experiential places.

google image search for the bolded part
    https://www.google.com/search?q=more...w=1534&bih=720
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Maybe lower experiential lease rates would improve “things”.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

google image search for the bolded part
    https://www.google.com/search?q=more...w=1534&bih=720
    Jasper ave amusement park! Sign me up! (Actually)

From my experience of working downtown, those that lived downtown didn’t care to support downtown. They were mostly renters and were constantly jetting off to other parts of the country or world. With every trip, a couple grand in potential spending vacates the area.

Then the rest of Edmonton is continually asked to support the creation of a vibrant world-class downtown.

I used to be one of those downtown renters. Then I became a condo owner. Then I moved out of downtown... Now I own a house. Get the same out of our downtown as I did when I lived there... not much. When desiring a true 'urban' experience, Edmonton has but broken bits and pieces of it here and there. Maybe some day it will be better, but we sure seem to be spending a lot of money to try to get there.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

bring back the electric circus from 70s toronto and all the stoners can have quality, compelling, experiential places to groove.

I really want the former Royal Bank building to be repurposed for this.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It is a likely candidate...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton