Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid walterdale bridge!!!!!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

There's a lot of pent up rage in the UK at present. Doesn't take much to reach a flashpoint.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Finally, the people pushed back ..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ning-Town.html

Just like the protestors have a right to protest, the commuters have a right to earn a living. Simply pull them off, no violence needed.
    Hitting mass transit users. I guess they should be biking to work. Or maybe that’s not good enough. It’s walk or nothing. Save the planet!

Seems attaining social license is as elusive as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    There's a lot of pent up rage in the UK at present. Doesn't take much to reach a flashpoint.
    Especially when they have a job to go to, not a good idea to hold up their commute!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Just like the protestors have a right to protest, the commuters have a right to earn a living. Simply pull them off, no violence needed.
    Hitting mass transit users. I guess they should be biking to work. Or maybe that’s not good enough. It’s walk or nothing. Save the planet!

Absolutely ridiculous that they hit the public transit trains. What on Earth?

Wheres the logic in that?

Ironic as well that the protest was holding back transit busses too.

isn't that the desired ecologically expedient mode?

Are these protests just anarchy with an ecological flag?

Leave it to brits to not take it and just shut it down.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I think they are just trying to create problems regardless of the consequences.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I think they are just trying to create money regardless of the consequences.
    Change one word & it applies to the protested, not the protestors.

(And I'd have used "raise awareness" to describe the protestors. Protests are a means to an end, not the end themselves.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

So there's going to be a climate change protest, and and a counter convoy-protest? Good thing I don't have to go near the henday or downtown.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Note that Extinction Rebellion was banned--probably unlawfully--by the police from protesting in the City of London. This probably spurred some members of the movement into escalation. Nevertheless, a large proportion of XR remain opposed to disrupting public transit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...on-underground

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    So there's going to be a climate change protest, and and a counter convoy-protest? Good thing I don't have to go near the henday or downtown.
    Must be something about certain protestors’ personalities that they enjoy inflicting some sort of pain or inconvenience on innocent victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Rachael Notley learned this hard lesson on fanatics.

Animals are my passion.

Shouldn't those counter protesters be at work?! Let the experts handle this.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Shouldn't those counter protesters be at work?! Let the experts handle this.
    Umm, they'd be at work,if they had some!!!
    Animals are my passion.

Had that gaggle of protestors on the Walterdale been transferred to one of London's bridges I can't see brits sitting in their vehicles sipping coffee and waiting it out. It'd be, "Right, mate. We'll bloody sort this!"
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

Had that gaggle of protestors on the Walterdale been transferred to one of London's bridges I can't see brits sitting in their vehicles sipping coffee and waiting it out. It'd be, "Right, mate. We'll bloody sort this!"
    Especially the London cabbies! LOL
    Animals are my passion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...idlock-to-city

Yeah, the cabbies in the UK have a history of being against environmental protection & consideration when it affects their ability to turn a profit, which has created a bit of a downward spiral as they've not won many friends in their own protests & prompted a significant segment of the market to switch to ridesharing services.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg absolutely loves all the angst and turmoil of this contrived shitshow.

Spurred by the vanity of some faux child celebrity a bunch of giddy students, desperate to seize some opportunity - any opportunity - to skip classes join into her wing nut protest march to the leg.

The government with a large majority wisely opts to just ignore the whole thing.

The opposition - seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are now the opposition for zealously trumpeting this climate change hysteria - double down to be seen once again as working against the biggest industry in the province.

Counter protesters who should follow the lead of their government and ignore the whole thing and let it blow over stupidly decide to give it legitimacy and show up.

The only thing missing is if winter had come early and it was -25 out there.

That would have been the pinnacle.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ Well said.
    Go Canucks Go!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ ^^

well said???

i'm not so sure. would it be considered "well said" if you deleted "climate change" and substituted any of the following:

• acid rain
    • chlorofluorocarbons
    • clear cutting
    • segregation/civil rights
    • the vietnam war
    • nuclear proliferation
    • women's suffrage
    • gay rights and pride marches

i'm pretty sure that's far from a complete list but hopefully it makes the point i'm trying to make. every single one of those protest movements had supporters of the status quo try and dismiss them as wing-nut protesters as well.

they may all have had their share of wing-nuts involved in them but that doesn't mean the underlying principles or topics should be dismissed. we all have better lives today as a result of the success of those wing-nuts' protests.

we need to listen and respond appropriately, not dismiss. and by listening and responding appropriately, i mean with inclusion, not with counter protests and rhetoric that increases rather than bridges the divides being created.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-10-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg absolutely loves all the angst and turmoil of this contrived shitshow.

Spurred by the vanity of some faux child celebrity a bunch of giddy students, desperate to seize some opportunity - any opportunity - to skip classes join into her wing nut protest march to the leg.

The government with a large majority wisely opts to just ignore the whole thing.

The opposition - seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are now the opposition for zealously trumpeting this climate change hysteria - double down to be seen once again as working against the biggest industry in the province.

Counter protesters who should follow the lead of their government and ignore the whole thing and let it blow over stupidly decide to give it legitimacy and show up.

The only thing missing is if winter had come early and it was -25 out there.

That would have been the pinnacle.

TD, they wouldn't show up in -25, this was planned to happen during the election.
    Animals are my passion.

Yeah, hilarious.,

Top_Dawg actually cut his day a bit short and ambled down to Boston Pizza on Jasper to poke down a few beer and see first hand the caliber of wing nut that would participate in this shitshow.

He was walking down Jasper just as they surged.

The amount of f*ck nuts was unreal.

Stunning.

At least the students and left wing nuts could be understandable given the f*cked up rhetoric they are constantly bombarded with.

Then it got worse.

Top_Dawg had to turn away from the crowd so they wouldn't see him laughing out loud.

Within the crowd there was a group of wing nuts in wheelchairs. walkers, and medical scooters waving chanting and waving their f*cked up signs protesting pipelines.

Really ?

Really ?

What would their f*cked up lives be without the energy industry in this province ?

Where would they be ?

The biggest users of public services protesting exactly against the industry that gives them at least some quality of life.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

The brain dead disconnect of some people is just head shaking unreal.

I think both sides of the debate have some right ideas and concerns and if only we can set aside this mentality of us vs them, you are with us or against us, in fact moving towards solutions for climate change would be more achievable.

Greta has some positive perspectives, regardless of if you think others behind the scenes are guiding her. She showcased the need for consumers to have to change their consumption choices, if they are serious about climate. Reducing emissions at the production phase only contributes about 20% of the emissions while the combustion and consumption of energy unleashes 80% (rough estimate, based on presentation by Jackie Forrest at Arc Energy).

in today’s rally, she also correctly pointed out the need to avoid political partisanship on this issue. It reminded me of the Pew poll showing in US climate change is now as partisan an issue as gun ownership: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ong-democrats/

The world is changing and we rightfully should be part of the solution not the problem. And raging against Greta won’t help our cause.

We also need to better show the limits of the climate strike and other activists, a point counter-strikers might hope to raise. But the message is lost in the theatrics. Greta can freely travel from across the pond to the doorsteps of Alberta legislator to protest her perceived lack of action on climate. But at the global level, countries whose emissions matter, like China, don’t provide a similar opportunity to her and any other protest. And authoritarian energy producing countries like Russia and Saudis will only be happy to fill any gap Canada’s stranded oil production will leave behind.

I thought this news captured the absurdity of the situation the best. While we were focused on Greta and her protest, Qatar started air conditioning “outdoors” as the heat became unbearable: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ning-outdoors/

I love how Greta said, poorer countries need clean drinking water, hello? FN anyone? many of them need clean drinking water..and they reside in Canada! Im not raging against her, she looked so small when she arrived at the Leg, and buses came to see her from Calgary.She just knows so little about what the industry does in AB, we are not Saudi, or Venezuela, and we will do better, we cant stop everything as fast as she seems to think we can, we took a long time to get here, and billions of cars on our roads aren't going anywhere, for a long long time
    Animals are my passion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12