Thread: ETS buys 50 electric busses

C2E SME

Well on the surface this looks like a great idea. I do hope it works out well. My one main question is despite these buses being winter compatible as described on the link, how well will they perform through a whole winter here in Edmonton, especially if we have a cold winter.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

If only there was some sort of a Feasibility Study linked on that very page for you to peruse....

Oh..

Wait..
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It will be interesting to see what the maintenance costs for the electric buses will be compared to the diesels.

I believe Vancouver and Toronto have already received the first of their electric buses. Toronto is supposedly testing 3 different electric buses in their initial purchase of 50.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 20-09-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If only there was some sort of a Feasibility Study linked on that very page for you to peruse....

Oh..

Wait..
    Yes I understand the feasibility study. Section 3.4 (Climate conditions during the trials) discusses that issue. The study stated that "Edmonton experienced an unseasonably warm 2015-2016 winter, and for most of the test period. Colder days were examined closely and compared to warmer days for energy use data."

My curiosity though extends to actual practical use for the entire winter season, especially on times when we get extended cold snaps. I do hope that this technology will work, but unfortunately the only true way to find out is in extended practical use.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Yeah. Let's see how they cope with a long cold snap like we had last February.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Yeah. Let's see how they cope with a long cold snap like we had last February.

hmmm,
    Going to need that nuclear power plant a lot sooner than expected.