Thread: 106 and 107 Street rehabilitation - Downtown

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 106 and 107 Street rehabilitation - Downtown

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...6and107Streets

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1167830399109648384
    @ianoyeg

About the Project
    The City is improving downtown streets to support safe and comfortable movement for all modes of transportation. The 106 and 107 Streets Project supports a sustainable, vibrant and green community.

Streetscaping is the process of designing an area for the use of all modes, including walking, cycling/e-scooters, public transit and vehicles. Items in a streetscape can include sidewalks, street lights, street furniture and functional spaces to define the character of an area. Streetscaping also includes adding more trees and plants to create a greener space in the corridor.

As part of the Capital City Downtown Plan, 106 Street and 107 Street were selected for green and walkable streetscaping as well as road rehabilitation of 107 Street, and multiple proposals for private residential developments along 106 Street.

This project will develop a vision and concept plan for the 106 and 107 Streets Streetscape.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Pardon my snarkiness as I endure another lousy weather weekend in this city but why not use the money spent on these projects to fix what we have in downtown now? Clean downtown and pave the streets would be my first priorities instead of proprietary streetlights like the ones down two blocks of Jasper Avenue which stop with no plans for continuing.

The City did a review of said unique products and have gone away from that, with a selection for new rehabilitation to use.
    www.decl.org

Let's focus on getting the back log of other planned projects finished before starting plans for new projects. It's a big waste of time and money to have people attend meetings and write up reports that never get anything done.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

These stretches are desperately needing rehabilitation...
    www.decl.org

I'm sure they are, but Jasper Avenue and 105 Avenue already had a gaggle of meetings with little to show for it. Do we have to dig up the archives and see the thousands of neglected reports done from meetings in the past?

I remember going to many 'post-it' note meetings in the past and wondering how many people were being paid to be there. Each meeting must have cost at least $50,000. That kind of money is enough to pay a hobo to clean up the streets full time for a year.

The key here is contemporary, simple, good looking public realm...that is not overdone and with an expedited construction period.
    www.decl.org

Neither is it rocket science. If sidewalks need to be repaved then just get it done.

Why not leave off the sections between 102 ave and Jasper on both of these until the IanO Central Park is build and avoid having to re-do it to match whatever that ends up like?

I have to assume that it will be in parallel with park design, as that will be taking place over the next 6-12.
    www.decl.org

Ian. Take it from someone who is not in public life, one of the silent majority , when I tell you instead of photo ops and endless expenses on meetings ,just start with the basics clean streets and well taken care of roads.

Not rocket science here.

If we can't get the basic/simple things right, what can we do?
    www.decl.org

Perhaps not rocket science, but odds are good it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I have to assume that it will be in parallel with park design, as that will be taking place over the next 6-12.
    You're basing planning on multi-million dollar projects on an assumption?

You can concentrate on getting the basic/simple things done right. Clean the streets. Ensure garbage cans are emptied. Make sure all the lights are working. Remove posters that are in places they're not permitted. Ensure sidewalks are swept/shoveled. Finish LMP and get it into presentable condition before moving onto another major park.

Simple/basic stuff.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

IanO, you and the city need to print this in capital letters in a large font, frame it and hang it on your walls.

this should be a basic/simple thing.

we have some sidewalks and streets that are in need of rehabilitation and repair. it's not rocket science - dig out the city's standard spec's for sidewalks and streets downtown and rehabilitate and repair them.

instead, we make it an "exciting new project to revitalize 106 and 107 streets" (albeit only 3 blocks of one and 4 non-overlapping blocks of the other). so we can have surveys and drop in events and one on one meetings and write reports to council about "what we heard".

how well is that approach working for capital boulevard or the armature or the 103a/104 avenue integrated landscape plan and each of the (6???) jasper avenue segments or rue hull or rice howard way etc.?

shouldn't our "complete streets" standards and guidelines simply allow for them to be implemented as and when needed without a need for "exciting new projects" for every 7 city blocks?

you're right, this is - or should be - a basic/simple thing.

so why can't we we just make it basic and simple and then just do it when it needs to be done? that's really how you do contemporary, simple, good-looking public realm that is not overdone with expedited construction periods.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Well said Ken.

I would have so much more respect for this city if it did things properly and followed the KISS principle.

More substance less style.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^^Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iano View Post
    if we can't get the basic/simple things right, what can we do?
    iano, you and the city need to print this in capital letters in a large font, frame it and hang it on your walls.
    get the basics done right, it is the most edmonton thing WE should be able to do
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The City did a review of said unique products and have gone away from that, with a selection for new rehabilitation to use.
    These stretches are desperately needing rehabilitation...
    The key here is contemporary, simple, good looking public realm...that is not overdone and with an expedited construction period.
    Quote Originally Posted by iano View Post
    if we can't get the basic/simple things right, what can we do?
    iano, you and the city need to print this in capital letters in a large font, frame it and hang it on your walls.
    get the basics done right, it is the most edmonton thing WE should be able to do
    maybe because it's a long weekend and it's not raining but i'm not sure where you stand on this "exciting new project to revitalize 106 and 107 street".

are you in favour of an infinite number of time consuming and expensive projects like this every time we want/need to undertake rehabilitation/remediation/repairs to existing city infrastructure or should streets and transportation simply be dispatched to do the work just as they should be for pothole repairs and boulevard maintenance?

if nothing ever gets done until it's an "exciting new project", maybe that's why nothing ever gets done.

What I am saying is that this is embarrassing and should have been rebuilt 10-20yrs ago.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1168563009238683651
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I'm sure better sidewalks would encourage more pedestrians in this part of downtown.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

It is rather embarrassing to have this as your experience if walking from the CBD to our Provincial Legislature in the Capital of Alberta.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^So rip it up and put down new sidewalks. It hardly needs consulting to determine those sidewalks are practically dangerous to walk on.

Correct, but the reason they stop-gapped it with new asphalt in Aug, was that they knew a full re-hab was forthcoming.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Correct, but the reason they stop-gapped it with new asphalt in Aug, was that they knew a full re-hab was forthcoming.
    sadly no...

that might be the current excuse but as you noted above it should have been done a decade or two ago, long before a major rehab was necessary as a result of decades of neglect..

and, either way, why should it take "an exciting new project" and all that entails (including ineffective short term fixes while waiting for them) before we can go out and fix sidewalks?

What would you propose good sir? (genuinely curious)
    www.decl.org

City needs to do 103 street next. 103 is probably the main access point into the ice district. The east sidewalk on 103 along the wall of DynaLife needs some love to. One of the most gloomy sidewalk block downtown.

Plain, ordinary, simple concrete sidewalks like the rest of the city deals with every day. Just because it's downtown doesn't mean it needs to be "Exciting and new". You want to plant some trees? Go ahead. Want some benches. Sure, if you like. But it shouldn't need a full on study and words like "exciting". Just replace the sidewalks, plant some trees if they're in an area where they will thrive and drop some benches in spaces where they make sense. Ditto with the light standards. Just use the standard poles and make sure that they're working all the time. We don't need the fancy, dancy poles that are on Jasper that cost more, take longer to install and require special order for parts.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

aaah IanO, you're the only one i know who can use "good sir"and make it sound like a pejorative.

what i propose was pretty succinctly laid out in post #17.
    Last edited by kcantor; 02-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^So rip it up and put down new sidewalks. It hardly needs consulting to determine those sidewalks are practically dangerous to walk on.
    I don't know did you look at those trees? They look really shady...

Don't worry I'll show my self out.

Edmonton has a nasty habit of neglecting certain roads and sidewalks from time to time and i never could figure out why?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Have no problem with downtown or other high traffic/density areas having a different standard of sidewalk but I think it’s probably a better idea rather than studying each stretch individually to say here are some standard things we want to see for any sidewalks in those type of areas (light standards, widths, signage) and here are a few options to choose from (landscaping, benches, artistic stuff) and then just go with that anywhere that needs rehabilitation.

aaah IanO, you're the only one i know who can use "good sir"and make it sound like a pejorative.

what i propose was pretty succinctly laid out in post #17.
    I use it all of the time, generally in good taste kind sir and that was how it was intended. I value your suggestions/experience here.
    www.decl.org

Just replace the concrete and repave what needs to be repaved. How much time and effort is being wasted on redesigning a functional, albeit in poor condition, streets? A bunch of meetings to discuss future meetings, lunches, and photo-ops and semi political hobnobbing?

how it was allowed to get to this state is what need attention. Good sirs
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Where does this streetscape initiative fit in with the rest of the streetscaping initiatives?
    If it's at the back of the line from all the other streetscaping initatives it'll be the better part of a decade before any real work gets done. If it's not, that's a big middle finger to those of us who're already waiting for the promised changes to be implemented in our neighbourhoods.

Surely these two chunks of road cannot be higher priority than Jasper Ave.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Where does this streetscape initiative fit in with the rest of the streetscaping initiatives?
    If it's at the back of the line from all the other streetscaping initatives it'll be the better part of a decade before any real work gets done. If it's not, that's a big middle finger to those of us who're already waiting for the promised changes to be implemented in our neighbourhoods.

Surely these two chunks of road cannot be higher priority than Jasper Ave.
    jasper avenue (in a number of discrete segments) has already had a whole series of exciting new project initiatives and open houses and visioning sessions. it's even had couple of blocks actually redone (or almost redone - there is some question as to whether they will ever actually be finished before needing to be redone again). jasper avenue has also had at least one "interim pilot project" implemented in order to gather yet more public input and feedback that was managed initially.

so clearly jasper avenue's streetscaping initiatives are much, much further ahead and higher priority than these 7 blocks.

unless you're referring to the actual completion of those projects and not the planning and public consultation for their various initiatives.

unless you're referring to the actual completion of those projects and not the planning and public consultation for their various initiatives.
    That's exactly what I'm referring to.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    That's exactly what I'm referring to.
    Can we get ride of those Green things and replace them with the nice grey things down by Hotel MacDonald along the road?