Thread: When your private property isnít so private: Unwanted vehicle parked on Edmonton womanís property

Default When your private property isnít so private: Unwanted vehicle parked on Edmonton womanís property

Great business opportunity! Every homeowner needs a collection of signs posted in anticipation of any and all such problems.

When your private property isnít so private: Unwanted vehicle parked on Edmonton womanís property - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

ďď[They] refused to put a ticket on the car because I did not have a sign saying, ĎNo Parkingí on my fence. I then called some towing services and none of them will come out unless bylaw enforcement tickets the vehicle,Ē she said.

Kuzyk asked the bylaw officer what she should do and said she was told to take the owner of the vehicle to court.

She felt that was absurd ó especially because she didnít know who had parked in her spot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5817305/e...le-no-parking/

C2E Hard Core Contributor

She has every right to be upset, it’s ridiculous that nothing can currently be done. City Hall needs to fix the loop hole so more property owners don’t have this frustration.

If it was on my property, I would take some of my heavy chain and run it through the wheel rim and place a solid lock on it like an improvised Denver Boot.

The driver is welcome to call the cops and explain his predicament to the officer. Land rights, trespassing laws and possession are in my favor.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

How about enter the vehicle (whatever means necessary) put it in neutral and roll it onto the street.

If it is in your property and you take the garbage out, the heavy object in the bag ripped and dropped on the car. The car that is not yours and blocking/interfering with your accessing/regressing in your private property. You werent expecting it, and it caught you off guard ...
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 27-08-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

List it on Kijiji under "Free"

Better yet, donate ot to Kars for Kids

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 28-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    If it is in your property and you take the garbage out, the heavy object in the bag ripped and dropped on the car. The car that is not yours and blocking/interfering with your accessing/regressing in your private property. You werent expecting it, and it caught you off guard ...
    And that paint from painting your old furniture on what space you had left. Who’d have thunk that it could have got on anything else!

Oh, and you did jack it up and remove the wheels, but yesterday was the day you wash and vacuum your driveway. The wheels and tires are just drying out up the street. You parked them in the sun on someone else’s private property. Surely they are still there.

I like this one. What to do when someone parks badly in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    She has every right to be upset, it’s ridiculous that nothing can currently be done. City Hall needs to fix the loop hole so more property owners don’t have this frustration.
    Absolutely crazy situation. I suppose now that she has a sign saying No Parking she's ok ? The vehicle should have been towed. 1. She had no advertisement asking the public to park on her property and 2, The car was BLOCKING her from accessing her property with her vehicle. This should be a big no-no. What happened if there was an emergency and she needed her car. Right now, there is nothing stopping me from just picking a random driveway in the suburbs and just parking there ??Is there an implied consent now for people to enter your property unless you explicitly tell them ?? If I was her, I would have gotten a friend to park in front of that vehicle so that car could not move unless 'usage fee' was paid to the driveway owner. What an absolutely situation that the city must rectify ASAP.

From the article...

"Kuzyk has two parking pads behind her house, in addition to the driveway for her garage. They’re clearly private property, off the alley behind her house."

Would the legal situaton be the same if the person had parked in her garage driveway(assuming that driveway also had no signage)? Is there something significant about the fact that the pads seem to be distinct from the driveway?

What I'm thinking is, if they agree to tow in an instance like this one, does that set them up for having to tow if, for example, I buy a bit of vacant land nowhere near my house, don't put signage on it, and then someone parks there, assuming it to be public land?

Iveson I thought handled this pretty solidly with the media, its unfortunate a mayor of a major city is pressed on so many issues that should be dealt with satisfactorily by any admin subordinate. This is a no brainer and it goes all the way to the mayor because twits are playing at being devout policy wags.

Whatever happened to independent thought, action, common sense, and providing a SERVICE to tax paying Edmontonians?

This actually had to go to the media to get traction which tells you, again, how intractable the city is on these simple things.

Plus this has been done before, the city has had this issue before, and its been dealt with somewhat satisfactorily. For instance when people used to park on peoples front lawns and back driveways during Commonwealth stadium events. (without permission or paying)

But which leads me to this part. What kind of asshats are we raising that people think its OK to do this?

Can we publicly shame the puckers that park right in somebodies driveway? Or on the lawn? Overnight or any length of time?

WTF?

Love the comments of one person that if somebody is parking right in my garage driveway and I can't get out, can't drive to work, how am I supposed to pay you dullards taxes to do anything about anything..
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I had a similar situation happen to me a few years ago. I didn't have a fence in the back and I came home to find a fairly new F150 parked on my lawn...well half on my lawn and half blocking the alley. I decided to wait a day to see if someone would claim it, but they didn't.

I called the city and they sent someone out, but they couldn't do anything unless more than 50% of the car was blocking the alley (they determined it was about 40% over the property line). The guy also told me that in order to ticket or town it, I needed a sign....and it had to be a "professionally made" sign, and it would have to be up for at least 24 hours before they could take any action.

So I called the cops, who said they couldn't reach the owner, and could only tell me that the truck wasn't stolen. I eventually went down to the police station in person and talked to a senior officer who said he'd dig into it. He ended up finding an old speeding ticket for the plates, and it was in the name of the owner's ex-girlfriend. He ended up contacting her, and it turned out the owner works out of town and he lent his truck to a friend, who dropped it off at the wrong house. The ex-girlfriend had the friend's number, so he eventually came by and moved it.

This took about 5 days to resolve. Since it was in the middle of winter and with the alley snowed it, it also ****** off a couple of my neighbours who assumed it was my truck and I parked it there... i had a couple of angry knocks on my door.

“angry knocks” And so it was good test to see which neighbours have instability issues.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Plus this has been done before, the city has had this issue before, and its been dealt with somewhat satisfactorily. For instance when people used to park on peoples front lawns and back driveways during Commonwealth stadium events. (without permission or paying)
    Except that they went full reverse on that one and now they harass any homeowner who tries to sell a parking spot for an event and tow instead of just ticketing people who park on the street. Somewhere in the middle between unregulated and overregulated would have been nice.

The insanity...

I'd rather C2E than work!

If a car parked on my property (without my permission), my first reaction would be the same as the comments above in this thread. I would 'key' one side of the vehicle or maybe snap off a windshield wiper.

But then I would fear that the car owner would one day vandalize my house. So maybe the home owner in the article did the right thing by not being vengeful.

Those comments were more hyperbolic gestures to our disgusts at the notion that sanity couldnt have been easily applied here as stated by Replacement. The fact that it had to boiled down to this point has me wondering the intelligence of those that stewardship our laws and guidline. No sane individual would attempt vigilence and not process your thought...
    Two wrong does not equal a right.