Thread: Fringe 2019

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Fringe 2019

The Fringe officially kicked off last night. Anyone planning to go see a play or just soak up the festivities?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Went down this afternoon. The weather was cloudy and chilly but no rain, which meant the grounds were busy but not unbearably so. Ended up watching One Man Avengers - a total hoot!

Which Fringe shows have the rest of you seen this year? Post your reviews here.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

We went on a whim Saturday night - just wander around. Went to what used to be the Stage 11 beer tent - now on "the wrong side of the tracks."

Have to say, I think the producers have done an amazing job of laying the site out - total kudos.
    ... gobsmacked

Went for the first of 4 days this year. Chose 10 shows based on the short blurbs describing the plays. The first 2 ( An Honest History of ******** and You Are Happy ) were great. The 3rd ( Nothing After 9 O'clock ) was not so much great. Seems like there may be less food vendors. Still had a great time.

The site layout is still missing the nice outdoor stages of years past though, when there were actual elevated stages and even benches to sit on. Gazebo park works as-is, but the others are limited to about 3 rows of visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    The site layout is still missing the nice outdoor stages of years past though, when there were actual elevated stages and even benches to sit on. Gazebo park works as-is, but the others are limited to about 3 rows of visibility.
    This. Take out all the outdoor stages and bleachers and seating, but hey, set up all those beer gardens.

People wanting to actually see some performances can stand or sit on wet grass I guess. Those that are just there to drink get the comfort of seats and tables. Go figure.

As if Whyte Ave needs any excuse for more drinking.

More and more not something I attend too much.

Just another word but the old water fountain in Gazebo park (the only outside one around) is disgustingly poorly maintained, are they trying to do a study on cholera epidemiology?

Put a proper fountain in there and leave the old one just as decoration.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^This required the police to be called? "Safer spaces policy"?

What a load of rubbish. Perhaps stop or curtail the excess of alcohol consumption in the district, or even on site at the Fringe and then talk about maintaining safer spaces.

Ironically the performer himself was probably imbibing, inebriated, and with a lapse in judgement. But now taking remedial courses in maintaining safe spaces for the audience.

Somebody remove all flaming torches and replace immediately with nerf glow in the darks..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Which item of clothing was the performer trying to remove? I think it makes a difference if we're talking about, for example, flicking off the guy's hat vs. undoing his fly.

C2E Continued Contributor

My mind goes right to the "Safe Spaces" South Park episode....wonder if this patron filled out a "hurt feelings report?"

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Which item of clothing was the performer trying to remove? I think it makes a difference if we're talking about, for example, flicking off the guy's hat vs. undoing his fly.
    "starting to remove" The piece of clothing, by this account, was not even removed.

Stupid thing to do in anycase, but then I consider most of these audience participation things to be pretty much exercises in personal embarrassment and wonder why anybody agrees to go up. The worst is when they call children up to ridicule them. The Fringe, and Street performers being caught up in a notion of comedy entertainment that probably died out around the 3 stooges.

The police should be called for the state of the entertainment offered that is so lame it will do anything for an audience. Was there a wardrobe malfunction?

edit. Another source discloses that the article was the shirt. So that there was an attempt to remove a mans shirt..
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-08-2019 at 12:06 PM.

I heard from a little birdie of the possibility of more Fringe shows in the downtown area.

Granted, there are some 2019 Fringe shows at The Nook and Evolution Wonderlounge, but the future may lie in more downtown venues such as the Citadel, Winspear, Ice District, RAM, AGA, etc.

Saw the Wes Anderson improve show The Royal Zissou Academy yesterday afternoon. Great idea, delivered adequately, missed their mark with one character not being able to continue the storyline.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Police called ....

The performer was a drag queen - this was known to everyone.

He asked for a volunteer from the audience and the man put his hand up.

Oh yes, call police ....
    ... gobsmacked