Thread: Taste of Edmonton 2019

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Taste of Edmonton 2019

The Taste of Edmonton returning to Capital Plaza this year. The chief organizer is not keen on this location for several reasons - I say let's prove him wrong! I got my advance tickets already - however, I bought the paper tickets at Co-op since the online ordering is just a tad too complicated for my liking.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The new layout looking nice so far, but gotta wonder how the line up management will be

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

What are the reasons why they dislike the Capital Boulevard location? I'm assuming the space is much tighter relative to Churchill Square and not much for after hours public parking? I personally really like it.

Sometimes I think a lot of Edmontonians either forget how gorgeous the Leg grounds are or haven't been around in ages since they renovated it into Centennial Plaza. This is a nice way to get people to realize what they're missing out on.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Decent vegetarian selection (though there's a few erroneously-vegetarian-flagged items) this year, but man oh man is it pricey.

Still, close to home so I'll likely wander down & check it out.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

No doubt, The Works fits better at leg grounds. Taste of E? Not so much, it's better suited to Churchill.

Capital blvd/Centennial plaza are lovely spaces and frankly, ToE is kind of a grimy event that does not showcase its location. Churchill is a bit more generic and looks improved when packed tight with people.

Street performers works well in OS. But it was fine in the square.

If I were the DBA or DECL I'd be lobbying hard to put The Artwalk on Capital blvd.

Concur in full.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^
    ^^
    Typical of the idiotic comments found here.

Art Walk has always been in Old Strathcona, was founded there, funded there, and grown there from tireless grassroots endeavor.

It should move to DT for what valid reason? That IanO wants it there.

Educate yourselves a little before posting mindless drivel.

Grow your own DT.

http://art-walk.ca/history
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    What are the reasons why they dislike the Capital Boulevard location? I'm assuming the space is much tighter relative to Churchill Square and not much for after hours public parking? I personally really like it.

Sometimes I think a lot of Edmontonians either forget how gorgeous the Leg grounds are or haven't been around in ages since they renovated it into Centennial Plaza. This is a nice way to get people to realize what they're missing out on.
    The chief organizer raised a few issues at a Yards meeting though I can't recall what they were. All I know is that I wanted to reach out and throttle the guy.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^
    ^^
    Typical of the idiotic comments found here.

Art Walk has always been in Old Strathcona, was founded there, funded there, and grown there from tireless grassroots endeavor.

It should move to DT for what valid reason? That IanO wants it there.

Educate yourselves a little before posting mindless drivel.

Grow your own DT.

http://art-walk.ca/history

I wonder who they would be lobbying.

A quote from your link:

"The festival is a labour of love for the owner of The Paint Spot. She has administered and supported the event since the beginning in 1995." - from replacement's linked article

It is my understanding that The Whyte Avenue Art Walk is a major time commitment for the owner of The Paint Spot and after the next one its continuing is not a certainty.
    The next one would be the 26th walk that Kim Fjordbotten has administered and I have heard that she doesn't plan on continuing with that role beyond then. Is there a transition plan in place, are the OSBA and The Old Strathcona Foundation prepared to take on a greater role in the administration of the walk?

Incidentally, this year's Art Walk was the first time I had ever gone to it. It was very impressive and was great to talk to the artists whose work we found inspiring. We spent about $600 on art and it is obvious that the local businesses benefit greatly from events like this.

^I've heard the same about The Paint Spot not continuing. Hence lobbying for new downtown corporate/arts-based partners who may want to get something going. Capital Blvd needs to not just sit like all the other ignored, unprogrammed city projects. I'm sure other ideas are welcome - even from the cranks.

Other Artwalks (or "tireless grassroots endeavours") include: Stony Plain, Sherwood Park this year, Leduc. In the city, both Riverbend Art in the Park and Strathearn Artwalk are large events. Things change, it's okay.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oooh yes, and let's have the Fringe DT too!

I swear, some of my fellow DT citizens make me embarrassed to admit I live here.

Leave the Artwalk where it began. If, by some chance, its grassroots support on Whyte should dissipate, then let others step in ...

Though 124th Street with its assembly of galleries makes a whole lot more sense than Capital Blvd.

But that's just me on a cranky Tuesday as it starts to EFFIN rain again!
    ... gobsmacked

Sorry, and to get back on track, not sure what the Taste of Big E organizers' troubles are with the Ledge plaza.

Maybe that any resto with a deep fryer isn't allowed and instead banished to 99 Ave?

Selfishly, I loved the plaza, with the tiered seating opportunities, stage backdrop of the river valley, and slowly lit ledge dome.

If not there, b/c even after LRT construction is finished, not sure Churchill would work - maybe Rice Howard Way?
    ... gobsmacked

I'm going sometime this weekend - that is, if the effing weather finally behaves

I loved TOE when it first started, then it got silly, smaller portions, that cost more. Heck , sampling at Costco is better..lol j/k
    If you go, enjoy! I heard 32 next week, and the weekend looks good..
    Animals are my passion.

I've not talked to anyone that thought the move from Churchill sq to Leg was a bad idea. Everyone raves about the new location. More space, easier to walk around, more grass, huge leg grounds to take your food and go sit down and enjoy. Kids loved playing in the fountains after their food. We find it easier to get to, and ironically, easier to park.

We stopped going to the churchill sq location as it was getting too crowded and hard to navigate a stroller with 3 kids. capital plaza is much easier in this regard.

But yes, agree that its ridiculously expensive nowadays.

Agree, the leg is a much better location for the Taste of Edmonton. Lots more room and space to enjoy.

Big bucks for morsels, still.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Sorry, and to get back on track, not sure what the Taste of Big E organizers' troubles are with the Ledge plaza.

Maybe that any resto with a deep fryer isn't allowed and instead banished to 99 Ave?

Selfishly, I loved the plaza, with the tiered seating opportunities, stage backdrop of the river valley, and slowly lit ledge dome.

If not there, b/c even after LRT construction is finished, not sure Churchill would work - maybe Rice Howard Way?
    I believe the issue is the lunch time crowds are significantly less than Churchill Square (Churchill is closer to the various office towers where everyone goes for lunch; less so in the government district). My understanding is that the festival lost money last year in part due to that reason. Or at least that is what was said.

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

I believe the issue is the lunch time crowds are significantly less than Churchill Square (Churchill is closer to the various office towers where everyone goes for lunch; less so in the government district). My understanding is that the festival lost money last year in part due to that reason. Or at least that is what was said.
    I'm fairly certain the rainy weather last year was a factor.

Location was more of one. They have introduced a lunch-time shuttle this year to make it easier for people to get there from the CBD.

https://www.tasteofedm.ca/wp-content...-direction.jpg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

TOE seems to have no awareness whatsoever of the economic difficulties in present times in this area. its going on as if its boom times.

40 tickets for 70 bucks? Are they crazy?

That's nearly 2bucks/ticket and if you buy in lesser amounts it approximates more closely to 2bucks/ticket which is plain nuts for what it gets you.

Two people could drop 70bucks for what is essentially food truck ambiance and not even get properly fed. While having to eat standing up, searching for a table that hasn't been cleaned. Then later post eating at some place that actually serves portions.

To those not in the know portion sizes at TOE are ridiculously modest.

Most people these days take one look at the cost and just say its not in my budget.

But then most of the restaurants that come to this kind of thing also have overpriced fare in their establishments. They're hardly ever concerned with how much money they pry out of you.

This sorry event should be renamed Taste of Excess. Really its always been that, but now even worse in a non boom economy.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yikes, that is a lot. But you can buy 20 tickets can't you? The prices go up and up..

Eta. That's $35.00 for 20 tickets, boy that has gone up
    Last edited by H.L.; 20-07-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Location was more of one. They have introduced a lunch-time shuttle this year to make it easier for people to get there from the CBD.

https://www.tasteofedm.ca/wp-content...-direction.jpg

Made it down to the Taste of Edmonton this afternoon.

The layout is totally different this year - all food trucks on 99 Ave, all food tents in multiple rows between Capital Plaza and the Federal building, drinks and other tents on the west part of the plaza. I much prefer last year's layout, but clearly that didn't cram in people enough.

The menu today was a mixture of old and new. * denotes a must-try favorite of mine

Fantasia - beef cannelloni*
    Langano Skies - spicy lentils with injera*
    Normands - beef short rib & mash*
    Banquet - buffalo mushroom caps
    Underground - mac & cheese balls*
    Afghan Foods - mantu
    Hoang Long - beef lemongrass skewer
    Canadian Brewhouse - steak bites
    North Fork - sticky toffee cake*
    Italian Bakery - tiramisu*
    Vintage Fork - creme brulee
    Zinc - banana bread pudding
    E&J Gallo - Longshot pinot grigio*

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Yikes, that is a lot. But you can buy 20 tickets can't you? The prices go up and up..

It has...

but as an event owner, I know my costs have gone up and up even though I try to keep ticket prices the same.

INsurance - 4X
    Set up - 2X
    Parking - 10x
    Fuel is up
    Some costs have stabilized...and remember Taste has to make ends meet.

I won't speak for how they work internally, I just get why the costs are increasing. It is not cheap to do temporary festival spaces.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^well at some point you either stop putting on the event or find ways to reduce costs cause those prices are insane, especially given the tiny portions. I can do so much more elsewhere with that money.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...then the market will speak. Yes, if the price vs value equation is not there, you won't have the attendees.

We've tried to reduce costs on our side, but eventually, the for-profit companies that supply the not for profits like us demand their profits. It is just business.

...which is where Taste and the Airshow diverge. Taste is an event, we run the Airshow like a business with an economic diversification mandate. Not to clutter the thread, but read the Gazette's article about the Villeneuve Landing Network. ...and an editorial response...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

It has...

but as an event owner, I know my costs have gone up and up even though I try to keep ticket prices the same.

INsurance - 4X
    Set up - 2X
    Parking - 10x
    Fuel is up
    Some costs have stabilized...and remember Taste has to make ends meet.

I won't speak for how they work internally, I just get why the costs are increasing. It is not cheap to do temporary festival spaces.
    People increasingly want fresh options, Dinner salads, that kind of thing. So much food today does not even involve heating, is served cold, and so much of the food at TOE is amenable to that. Fuel costs need not take up much cost at all. At least not heating costs.

Food trucks can do this for a living and at more reasonable cost than what these prices look like. This is just restaurants wanting to make a tidy profit off this Taste of Edmonton baloney charging huge for microscopic servings. Throw one dried chip of beef carpaccio with a teaspoon of slop on a plate and the unit cost is 7-8bucks? really.

Not sure about the parking costs, would that be participant vendor costs?

Yeah, Top_Dawg hasn't been in years.

For one, he avoids crowds like the plague.

And secondly, TOE has basically devolved over the years into a botulism factory.

Just not Top_Dawg's thing.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    [(...)

ot sure about the parking costs, would that be participant vendor costs?

I was speaking of my costs, I can't speak to Taste's.

...then the market will speak. Yes, if the price vs value equation is not there, you won't have the attendees.

We've tried to reduce costs on our side, but eventually, the for-profit companies that supply the not for profits like us demand their profits. It is just business.

...which is where Taste and the Airshow diverge. Taste is an event, we run the Airshow like a business with an economic diversification mandate. Not to clutter the thread, but read the Gazette's article about the Villeneuve Landing Network. ...and an editorial response...
    The market has spoken, the event itself has reported declining numbers, less of a turnout. Many people are saying that is due to to the inordinate price.

Meanwhile, Savour, goes on in Sherwood Park every year, is only a one day event, sells tickets at 1buck per ticket and you get more in food, for that ticket. I go to Savour,

The overhead of a one day event should be higher on a cost per day basis then foodtrucks setting up and being able to run the thing for the longterm duration of TOE. TOE has every advantage, but are botching this in end delivery, which is food pricing, period.

The history of this festival is they just don't care. from the start this is a festival willing to charge people 7bucks for 3 strawberries dipped in chocolate. This festival has always served very poorly on the dollar

The irony being, to have something to eat you're better off going anywhere. Which is ironic because the stated reason to have this is to gain customers for establishments, which doesn't occur much because TOE patrons are ripped off.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^, yep. Went by there at the weekend. Was going to sit and have a beer. But, 5 tickets for a small beer. Aint gonna pay that. Went to a vendor selling ice cream and got that instead. Also good to see that the entrances were hardened to prevent a vehicle coming into the festival, either accidentally or on purpose.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We just walked through on Sat. it was very busy, didn’t buy anything. Sat down where that little concert was going on for a bit, then walked past the fountain and pools to the ledge. Walked around to look at the flowers, a lot less there this year. To the high level bridge for a look down and back to the car.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 23-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.

C2E SME

Biked by last evening, and the entire area was absolutely jam packed. Great to see the Legislature area seeing the use.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes for sure, it should be used a lot more often. Lots of people in the water too.

^^ A co-worker of mine went down there at lunchtime, it was also jam-packed. I have no idea what the Taste organizer is smoking.

Now we just have to wait to see if "jam-packed" turn into actual sales.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Now we just have to wait to see if "jam-packed" turn into actual sales.
    I hope it is. We supported everything Edmonton when we lived there, and for many years. Plus the weather has been beautiful, perfect for any and all festivals.
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I hope Taste finds its way as well.

The key here is that it must reconcile the gaggle of complaints I even hear about high costs and low portion sizes. That is a soul searching part that the organizers and participants must deal with.

For me, I stopped going because due to my disability, the maze/web of hoses, wires, small ramps covering them, intentionally uneven pavement designs, etc made it impossible (or more appropriately impassable) for me when you add the impatient and grumpy crowds. Getting too many people into too small of a space may make your place look "jam-packed", but that is because it is. It made movement for me painful. I can't raise my left leg due to the fact that the ankle and knee are...well...not real. So, you can only whip around a leg so high. With everyone 1mm from having a spooning fest, it became painful for my back, and my stump started bleeding. I just got frustrated dealing with pushy people, or angry (mainly women) who think I am slow, or take up too much space when I walk or think I am somehow intentionally trying to kick them as I walk...or even simply poking fun at my "mobility"....OUTTA THE WAY GIMPY...sigh. No thanks for a plate of strawberries. I will just go to the restaurant.

It is why I wear shorts all year (even in -30). Not only does it prevent the prosthetic from damaging every pair of pants I owned, but at least you can see why I am walking like I do, and why I am slower...it certainly has reduced the snide comments except for the "poor fashion choice, fatty..." ones.

But then, I know I am in a minority. I also know that with the Airshow, adding the disability access portions I have added also adds considerable cost (about 30K), but I do it because I know just how hard it is. For Taste, it would need an area where the water, power, and other infrastructure could be more permanently laid out and buried/hidden where people don't have to walk around/over it.

I am going to try to go this year now that it is in the new location. I went to the pancake breakfast at the Leg a few days ago, and found out that the Leg is horribly inaccessible for disabilities. A simple railing...a simple darn railing...would make all the difference in many areas.

The key here is that it must reconcile the gaggle of complaints I even hear about high costs and low portion sizes. That is a soul searching part that the organizers and participants must deal with.

For me, I stopped going because due to my disability, the maze/web of hoses, wires, small ramps covering them, intentionally uneven pavement designs, etc made it impossible (or more appropriately impassable) for me when you add the impatient and grumpy crowds. Getting too many people into too small of a space may make your place look "jam-packed", but that is because it is. It made movement for me painful. I can't raise my left leg due to the fact that the ankle and knee are...well...not real. So, you can only whip around a leg so high. With everyone 1mm from having a spooning fest, it became painful for my back, and my stump started bleeding. I just got frustrated dealing with pushy people, or angry (mainly women) who think I am slow, or take up too much space when I walk or think I am somehow intentionally trying to kick them as I walk...or even simply poking fun at my "mobility"....OUTTA THE WAY GIMPY...sigh. No thanks for a plate of strawberries. I will just go to the restaurant.

It is why I wear shorts all year (even in -30). Not only does it prevent the prosthetic from damaging every pair of pants I owned, but at least you can see why I am walking like I do, and why I am slower...it certainly has reduced the snide comments except for the "poor fashion choice, fatty..." ones.

But then, I know I am in a minority. I also know that with the Airshow, adding the disability access portions I have added also adds considerable cost (about 30K), but I do it because I know just how hard it is. For Taste, it would need an area where the water, power, and other infrastructure could be more permanently laid out and buried/hidden where people don't have to walk around/over it.

I am going to try to go this year now that it is in the new location. I went to the pancake breakfast at the Leg a few days ago, and found out that the Leg is horribly inaccessible for disabilities. A simple railing...a simple darn railing...would make all the difference in many areas.
    Agree with your comments. My wife is dealing with PD, some days its a walker some its walking sticks and other days its a wheel chair. we have had issues at the Leg site. plus the rude people. rude people are everywhere and when you have mobility issues the terminally stupid people make it tough. We put a bike bell on the walker and chair and it does make a difference. but then the odd rude person gets in her way and she purposely slams into them and innocently say sorry.

Dine out week is a better deal at least for us.

Post of the year.

Except for the spooning remark.
    That's just .