Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

Default Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

Hey Admin, not sure why you closed my thread. What's wrong with a central discussion around the current provincial government? We've have 'catch-alls' for Notley, Trudeau, and Trump.... those still exists unlocked and continue to be used ??

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

I think he forgot to open all the individual threads for discussion.

Nah, obviously the right wing that controls all the media in Canada has got to Admin at C2E, and this is just there way at getting back at us for shutting down Alex Jones on social media sites.

I still don't understand why we can't have a catch all like we did for previous leadership. If issues are big enough to warrant their own thread, go for it, create a seperate thread, but it would be nice to have a central place to go back and easily reflect back on what has happened during this term.

C2E SME

The large number of threads that have been closed/locked for basically no good reason has been incredibly frustrating over the last month. It has resulted in numerous conversations and discussions being totally cut off, because said mod couldn't be bothered to move posts from the "catch-all" threads in to their respective single issue ones prior to locking them. This was especially annoying back when the election was announced, as half a dozen or more perfectly good threads were closed without any warning on basically a whim.

Again, I understand that moderating is a thankless and time consuming task. But if you're only going to do it halfways, do us all a favor and don't bother in the first place. And don't try to claim that people are having a hard time following the discussion in these threads. There's at best a couple dozen active posters on the boards. No thread ever sees enough posting for it to be hard to follow.

C2E SME

I wonder if the Kenney Government will give rakes to towns like Hinton and Whitecourt during forest fire season.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I wonder if the Kenney Government will give rakes to towns like Hinton and Whitecourt during forest fire season.
    Rakes??
    Why would he give those communities rakes during forest fire season?

I'd rather C2E than work!

It’s a reference to a Donald Trump comment about how the Finns rake their forests to avoid forest fires.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The large number of threads that have been closed/locked for basically no good reason has been incredibly frustrating over the last month. It has resulted in numerous conversations and discussions being totally cut off, because said mod couldn't be bothered to move posts from the "catch-all" threads in to their respective single issue ones prior to locking them. This was especially annoying back when the election was announced, as half a dozen or more perfectly good threads were closed without any warning on basically a whim.

Again, I understand that moderating is a thankless and time consuming task. But if you're only going to do it halfways, do us all a favor and don't bother in the first place. And don't try to claim that people are having a hard time following the discussion in these threads. There's at best a couple dozen active posters on the boards. No thread ever sees enough posting for it to be hard to follow.
    Wouldn't be so bad if the admin logged on more than once a month. Effectively killed the discussion on healthcare, etc.

Jason Kenney advocated for single source shipbuilding contract in order to support Conservative candidate in Quebec.

Electoral calculations around Quebec shipyard laid bare in Norman court docs

Public servant paints picture of inside cabinet room as officials weigh $700M shipbuilding contract

Burke told the Mounties that many senior public servants opposed the idea of accepting Davie's proposal before considering bids and were prepared to recommend a competition to Conservative cabinet ministers in April 2015.

But then-defence minister Jason Kenney ultimately sold ministers on the Davie plan, according to Burke, as he emphasized both the military and political importance of signing a deal.

"He made quite an impassioned speech about the importance of the Davie option and how the navy needs better capability and it can help with humanitarian operations and we have to support our navy,'' Burke told the RCMP.

"And the politics got into (it) as well. He was quite open and talking about: 'We have an election coming up and Lévis is an important riding, it often goes to Conservative(s). You don't get a lot of Conservative ridings in Quebec."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ium%3Dsharebar

I wonder when Kenney will denounce these students being out of school? Oh right, they're not supporting gay kids so it's all tickety-boo.

UCP MLA-elect attends anti-abortion rally to 'support my friends'
    Peace River MLA-elect Dan Williams among 28 caucus members estimated by NDP to have anti-abortion views

Master of ceremonies Father Dean Dowle told the crowd not to engage with counter-protesters. He said the only outlet they should speak to was Grandin Media, which is run by the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton.

A sizable number of participants were high school students who were bused in to attend the rally.

Karen Kerr is a member of the pro-choice Handmaids Coalition, a group that silently protests anti-abortion events while wearing red hoods and white bonnets inspired by Margaret Atwood's A Handmaids Tale. She noted the UCP government had little to say about the presence of so many students on a school day.

"Last week, we had Kenney on record saying he didn't think kids should walk out of school for 20 minutes to protest GSAs, yet you've got kids being bused in for the entire day from Calgary and Red Deer," she said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ends-1.5130093

So Big Arse just announced cuts to Alberta's corporate tax rate.

Good.

Top_Dawg had to giggle when he saw scarecrow attacking the move.

The NDs should get busy looking for a new leader.

It's already been a month since scarecrow got her azz handed to her.

And she still comes across as the bitter sore angry loser from election night.

Top_Dawg can just picture her and her gaggle of hags sitting over their $11 lattes at Whyte Avenue Starbuck's on Sunday mornings.

Sneering angry mugs, fists clenched, raging against Kenney and all the severely normal Albertans who are just too dumb to recognize the sheer brilliance of their progressive policies.

So funny.

Since we apparently need rude names for politicians, what are we calling Kenny? I think I’m going with:
    The Virgin
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Since we apparently need rude names for politicians, what are we calling Kenny? I think I’m going with:
    The Virgin
    Why? I dont get the reference.

^I guess it depends on how is defining virgin. Is a gay man a virgin because he has never had sex with a woman? I don't know.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    The Virgin
    When he first entered Federal politics in his late 20's, he claimed to be a virgin as he's a devout Catholic and wasn't married. I don't recall the exact context of why he was even asked the question in the first place, but if you dig around you can find the quote (it's from the late 90's so before a lot of news was on the net). The reality is that he's in the closet and it's not a particularly well kept secret.

This brief post addresses the rumors and whether it's okay to out someone if they're in turn trying to out kids: http://warrenkinsella.com/2017/03/are-you-gay/

I'd say emphatically in Kenney's case it would be, given his past actions and his political stances on LGBTQ issues.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 14-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    The Virgin
    When he first entered Federal politics in his late 20's, he claimed to be a virgin as he's a devout Catholic and wasn't married. I don't recall the exact context of why he was even asked the question in the first place, but if you dig around you can find the quote (it's from the late 90's so before a lot of news was on the net). The reality is that he's in the closet and it's not a particularly well kept secret.

This brief post addresses the rumors and whether it's okay to out someone if they're in turn trying to out kids: http://warrenkinsella.com/2017/03/are-you-gay/

I'd say emphatically in Kenney's case it would be, given his past actions and his political stances on LGBTQ issues.
    In honour of his biggest booster H.L., I suggest Self Loathing, or S.L. for short.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Good.

Top_Dawg can just picture her and her gaggle of hags sitting over their $11 lattes at Whyte Avenue Starbuck's on Sunday mornings.

Sneering angry mugs, fists clenched, raging against Kenney and all the severely normal Albertans who are just too dumb to recognize the sheer brilliance of their progressive policies.

So funny.

Perfect!! LOL
    Animals are my passion.

No it’s not perfect. We don’t need to attack women based on their looks.

Something you both are guilty of.

If mr Kenny can praise the hard work Notley did, maybe you should take a page from the glorious leader you seem to love so much.

Interesting. Especially as we approach 100 years since the KKK was notably active in Edmonton.

Good.

So funny.

Sounds like the conservatives for the last 4 years, except maybe substitute the $11 lattes with Lucky Lager. Oh how the tables have turned, but no one else sees the hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    No it’s not perfect. We don’t need to attack women based on their looks.
    The poster is also attacking a man because of his looks, but you don't comment on that do you? As long as its equal inequality, I think its all good in love and war, and its definite deserving of anyone with an ego large enough to take them into politics regardless of their party.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

To all complaining about this thread, and saying that there is some right wing conspiracy. C2E has never caved to government intervention, even when the City of Edmonton demanded posts were deleted as they were negative, or the former PC government communication folks asked for one to be modified, an NDP staffer asked the same during the transition - NEVER. No one from the current provincial government has asked, even though I know several who claim to actively follow.

I received complaints from people, who by their postings are left leaning, that the big threads became too hard to follow. They cited the NDP threads as being cumbersome. It is also the #1 biggest complaint by those that lurk and don't post. A behemoth of posts that may be easy to follow by those actively engaged are often too interwoven for the casual user (the vast majority of the reader base) to keep up.

The new threads autolocked like Moodib said. Sorry I didn't sit at my computer 24x7 listening to more rants against your local politician or project you didn't like. I have this thing called a life. A simple report post that the threads were locked would have sufficed.

That said, I am really disappointed in the accusations lately. Yes, there is now a lower number of people posting, and it is basically a couple that gang up on pretty much every thread and derail it, or just *****.

Half hearted to borderline passive aggressive comments about moderation, especially from a former mod that made my life hell at times, is absolutely not appreciated. An attempt to make it easier turns into yet another F-you to my work.

Do you want to know the real reason many don't post here anymore? Many of you need to look in the mirror.
    Ow

The Virgin
    The Grifter is more fitting.

Probably time to shut down c2e if you dont want to spend the time to run the board, or hand it over to someone who has more than the minute care you do.

This place was a lot better when there was a moderation team here who could actually moderate and not be hamfisted by the "must please all" mantra there is now.

Want to know the real reason many don't post here? Because admin has let this place go to shittt, and doesn't give a flying truck about it, and if many hadn't donated money, this place would be 404

We don’t need to attack women based on their looks.
    People can - and will - attack anyone they want to, for any reason whatsoever.

And there is nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    We don’t need to attack women based on their looks.
    People can - and will - attack anyone they want to, for any reason whatsoever.

And there is nothing you can do about it.
    It’s all part of an open and tolerant society in which walking the talk has to go beyond just skin colour, ethnicity etc. as those that do so often don’t even have the capacity to realize how they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Probably time to shut down c2e if you dont want to spend the time to run the board, or hand it over to someone who has more than the minute care you do.

This place was a lot better when there was a moderation team here who could actually moderate and not be hamfisted by the "must please all" mantra there is now.

Want to know the real reason many don't post here? Because admin has let this place go to shittt, and doesn't give a flying truck about it, and if many hadn't donated money, this place would be 404
    Interesting. Those better times must have occurred before my time. I haven’t noticed any change since I started following c2e.

Moreover you’re own post right here as hostile, rude and indicative of mental incompetence in social interaction as it is, seems consistent with all I’ve witnessed over the years.

So when are you offering to take over or start your own forum? Competition is good.
    Last edited by KC; 15-05-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Interesting. Those better times must have occurred before my time. I haven’t noticed any change since I started following c2e.

Moreover you’re own post right here as hostile, rude and indicative of mental incompetence in social interaction as it is, seems consistent with all I’ve witnessed over the years.

So when are you offering to take over or start your own forum? Competition is good.
    Good post KC.
    Animals are my passion.

Good.

So funny.

Sounds like the conservatives for the last 4 years, except maybe substitute the $11 lattes with Lucky Lager. Oh how the tables have turned, but no one else sees the hypocrisy

Really ?

Top_Dawg never encountered any conservatives who harboured any sour grapes over the 2015 election loss.

They knew they had royally f*cked up.

In fact every conservative Top_Dawg encountered was very forthright in conceding that the electorate gave them a very deserved time out.

And Top_Dawg still wonders how Danielle Smith sleeps at night.

Crossing the floor has to be the political miscalculation of the century.

She would still be premier now.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg never encountered any conservatives who harboured any sour grapes over the 2015 election loss.
    Is there some trend afoot? This is about the fourth time in about two months that I've seen the phrase "sour grapes" misused, and I think at least three out of the four have been in regards to the Alberta election(including at least one by someone involved in politics). "Sour grapes" does not mean something like "bitter and resentful". It means that someone convinces himself that a goal he had previously wished to attain was not desirable, in order to make himself feel better about failing to attain it, eg. Aesop's fox tells himself the grapes must have been sour, after he realizes he'll never reach them.

So, "sour grapes" in regards to the 2015 election would be if conservatives were to say afterwards they didn't want to win anyway, because being in government is a useless position.

I've seen plenty of people complaining about Thanks Notley and Darn the dippers... How is that different than complaining about cheeseburger Kenney and the Used Car Party

THE EMPLOYMENT IMPACT OF ELECTION PROMISES: Analysis of budgetary scenarios of UCP and NDP platforms

To actually achieve a balanced budget, much more than that amount would have to be cut from public programs. Compared with a base forecast which maintains the current level of per capita spending on an inflation-adjusted basis, more than $7 billion in annual program spending would have to be cut by the fourth year of the UCP’s plan. This would be a cut of 12%, one dollar in every eight, currently invested in public services and employment in the province.
    The UCP has made a habit of comparing Alberta’s fiscal situation with British Columbia when it comes to the spending bottom line. However, this
    “ Jason Kenney is proposing dramatic cuts in the levels of public services.”
    “ more than $7 billion in annual program spending would have to be cut” is essentially comparing apples to oranges, because B.C. has a more stable revenue mix, including a sales tax, and is far less reliant on volatile non-renewable resource revenue. A closer look at the ‘match B.C. scenario’ in areas where services in B.C. diverge from Alberta’s reveals that B.C. “saves” money by:
    • Investing substantially less than Alberta in elementary and secondary education;
    • Allocating less per capita to health care than Alberta;
    • Providing less income support for seniors than Alberta does through its Alberta Seniors Benefit, which results in Alberta having the lowest poverty rate among seniors in Canada;
    • Investing less in infrastructure development to support the province’s faster population and economic growth; and
    • Investing less in support of economic development in the province.
    Scenario #3 – The UCP platform plan In the UCP plan, $7 billion in expenditure cuts, partially offset by $3.7 billion in tax cuts would result in a substantial reduction in public spending relative to the base case and would produce substantial adverse economic and employment impacts. The cumulative aggregate economic effect over four years would be a reduction in GDP of 2.5%. Public sector direct employment losses over the four-year period would reach 27,700, with indirect effects on the private sector producing a further loss of 30,600 for a total job loss of 58,300 jobs. The deficit would be eliminated in the fourth year, with a surplus of $14 million before taking into account the negative effects of reduced economic growth on revenue. Taking that negative impact into account would result in a deficit of $1.5 billion.
    Definitely worth a full read.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    Paid for by union workers - no bias there of course.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownone View Post
    Fact!

Do they know the NDP lost the election? Orange flush!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Fact!

Do they know the NDP lost the election? Orange flush!
    Fascinating that some people will totally discount anything and everything written by their perceived ideological enemies.

Your thoughts then on the comments these guys were making? Or is it going to be: “Oh, the CBC asked for their opinions so I can’t read anything reported by the CBC. It’s so biased.”

Oilpatch veterans weigh in on NDP, UCP election promises to industry

Dennis McConaghy, a former senior executive with TransCanada who worked on the original Keystone pipeline and helped develop Keystone XL.

Hal Kvisle, the former CEO of Talisman Energy and TransCanada. He's also a director of multiple energy companies.

Jean-Michel Gires, the former head of Canadian operations for French multinational Total S.A.

“Kvisle disagrees with the NDP's coal plant phase-out and oilsands emissions cap. However, he describes the carbon tax as "sensible policy" that should stay.

"On one hand, I support Jason Kenney's efforts to reduce the burdens on industry, but I think he might want to reconsider whether he really wants to get rid of the point-of-consumption carbon tax," he said.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ucp...tion-1.5095873

^large corporations like the carbon tax - their executives are as much a special interest group as the unions are - very biased to what helps them. Government shouldn't bend over for studies produced by either. The carbon tax puts most of the burden on consumers, people driving too and from work or trying to heat their home (things they are going to do regardless of how high the tax goes), but had basically no cost for big corporations other than big hand outs if they went to dinner with the right NDP politician (small corporations were hurt by higher utility prices). In fairness, at least the Federal plan is rebate based not green subsidy based, its an improvement over what Alberta had (and also a lower rate). It will do absolutely nothing for our climate though, as carbon emissions are growing world wide at about half of Canada's total emissions every single year.
    Last edited by downtownone; 16-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.

^ should we fact check that?

You seem very bias towards anything that doesn't support the UCP positions.

C2E SME

The UCP won’t need hospitals, until they get sick. Also, I wonder how many of them actually care about kids born after birth.

Looks like the senate committee liked What Kenney had to say!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Y13dPo5YJ82uwF
    Last edited by H.L.; 16-05-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

Is there some trend afoot? This is about the fourth time in about two months that I've seen the phrase "sour grapes" misused, and I think at least three out of the four have been in regards to the Alberta election(including at least one by someone involved in politics). "Sour grapes" does not mean something like "bitter and resentful". It means that someone convinces himself that a goal he had previously wished to attain was not desirable, in order to make himself feel better about failing to attain it, eg. Aesop's fox tells himself the grapes must have been sour, after he realizes he'll never reach them.

So, "sour grapes" in regards to the 2015 election would be if conservatives were to say afterwards they didn't want to win anyway, because being in government is a useless position.

Thanks over-o.

Interesting.

Top_Dawg did not know that.

Everything has a bias, but this is at least backed by history and economic theory. But of course it doesn't support the UCP, so it's obviously can't have any truth to it, unlike your purely fact based and no-biased opinions and conjecture.

Kenney suddenly changes his mind about C-69

In major reversal, Jason Kenney now says Alberta can live with amended C-69 environmental assessment bill

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and the leaders of the three other provincial parties are offering an olive branch to the Trudeau government on C-69, saying they're now prepared to accept the controversial overhaul of Canada's environmental assessment process — as long as the Senate's amendments are part of it.

In a joint letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's point man in the Senate, Peter Harder, the multipartisan group asks the government to accept the changes to Bill C-69 — including amendments long demanded by oil and gas lobbyists — to avoid a constitutional fight over federal-provincial jurisdiction in natural resources.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...ents-1.5147516

I see Kenney going in the way of Doug Ford. A year into office he is polling at 75 percent disapproval on his job as Premier.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

I don't really see that as a major reversal, though, because the huge number of amendments in the Senate essentially gut the bill and he's saying he'll only accept C-69 if they're all accepted. He knows that's a non-starter and that it won't happen, so he's trying to look like he's being reasonable or negotiating knowing that there's little chance of the bill passing prior to the Parliament shutting down this summer prior to the election. He's got nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I see Kenney going in the way of Doug Ford. A year into office he is polling at 75 percent disapproval on his job as Premier.
    yep.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Can anyone, anywhere, see in any country, provine, state or city; worth voting for?

Seems the only choice is to shut your eyes and hold your nose and votes for someone less despicable than the other candidate. FCOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    yep.
    Really???? I saw Kenney polling way higher. He's so much smarter than Ford, I'm thrilled to have it at the helm of this province...
    I just wish the NDP would understand ,they are no longer in power..she can get as mad as she likes, it does nothing.. lol
    Animals are my passion.

Shes and the NDP are the official opposition doing the role she/they should be doing... They still have a role to play.

^yes.. but sometimes they oppose simply because they are in opposition. Eg, UCP says sky is blue, NDP says sky is green. This goes for all parties, provincial and federal. They like to oppose just because.
    I would have a lot more respect for them ( politicians in general) if they came out and said, hey, that's a good idea, we'll work with you on that. Or no, but here 's what we can do to make it better. Politicians need to be reminded that they are employed by the citizens and the expectation is that they work from, and start from in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    ^yes.. but sometimes they oppose simply because they are in opposition. Eg, UCP says sky is blue, NDP says sky is green. This goes for all parties, provincial and federal. They like to oppose just because.
    I would have a lot more respect for them ( politicians in general) if they came out and said, hey, that's a good idea, we'll work with you on that. Or no, but here 's what we can do to make it better. Politicians need to be reminded that they are employed by the citizens and the expectation is that they work from, and start from in good faith.
    True. I saw her saying we'll fight for this, we'll fight for that. Well fight on, you're in opposition,I get that, but you can't fight for very much..
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

^ and that is fair enough too. Hopefully people wont just come out and bash Kenny for talking another look, and re-evaluating some of the items. I really do not think the government should be sending people out to my house to tell me change some light bulbs, low flow showers, better windows and a high efficiency furnace.

For the most part you cannot buy a whole lot of incandescent bulbs anymore and low/mid efficiency furnaces are no longer sold. Solar panels... well.. since the pay back period is so long I am guessing that if you can afford the initial upfront installation costs, a smaller rebate would also work ?

Maybe LED lights should be exempt from the GST/PST for a period of time ?

^LED lights are already exempt from the PST in Alberta. Actually all green infrastructure is.

Alberta doesn't have a PST yet..?

^^ I was thinking more of a Canada wide solution, exempt LED's from the GST and PST were applicable.
    ^ Interesting, do AB have a 0% PST, or simply no PST. On some receipts I get, it lists the %5 GST, but it also lists a 0% PST - I get that just might be the software in the till that is applying it. From a legislation perspective though we do not levy a PST.

Alberta doesn't have a PST yet..?
    That's why they are "exempt" from it.

I see Kenney going in the way of Doug Ford.
    Same.

I cannot wait for Prime Minister Ford.

Ford is polling below where Wynne was.

Doug Ford Is Less Popular Than Kathleen Wynne Was When She Lost Power, Poll Suggests
    The premier’s PC party would come in third place if an election was held today.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is already less popular than former premier Kathleen Wynne was at the end of her time in office, new research suggests.

Ford has a net favourability of -53.5 per cent, meaning more poll respondents dislike the premier than like him.

Almost 20 per cent of the 996 Ontario residents polled by Mainstreet Research said they have a favourable view of Ford, while 73 per cent said they have an unfavourable opinion of him.

In April 2018, Wynne’s net favourability was -35.3 percent.

“More and more Ontarians are turning away from Doug Ford as his support is collapsing,” Mainstreet Research president and CEO Quito Maggi said in a press release.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...fse0EWm9RCuOp4

KKozoriz You and PRT really need to get a room , you both have a love fest of each other posts , Quite the romance you two have brewing on here , you both should just marry each other you obviously would never have one fight and live in a blissfull Liberal utopia together
    Last edited by buildthemhigh; 26-05-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Sorry that facts bother you so much...

Same.

Never will happen. They are both falling in the polls, racing JT in unpopularity
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-05-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

30 million could be put to better use elsewhere That i am sure of.

https://dazemag.ca/2019/05/20/postme...-line-crossed/

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    30 million could be put to better use elsewhere That i am sure of.

https://dazemag.ca/2019/05/20/postme...-line-crossed/
    Yes! What about the potholes!

Please everyone, think of the poor SUV drivers.
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was thinking more in tune of the assets the government owns which has been been band-aided to the point of catastrophic failure due to deferred maintenance . 30 million could actually make a difference in some of the smaller facilities (within AHS) particularly in the rural community of our major centers , granted 30 million is not allot but it would definite help, for which the gov't has cut back on this type of spending towards improvement .

This explains the $30 mil

“Did you ever hear this story growing up?

A woodcutter strained to saw down a tree. A young man who was watching asked “What are you doing?”

“Are you blind?” the woodcutter replied. “I’m cutting down this tree.”

The young man was unabashed. “You look exhausted! Take a break. Sharpen your saw.”

The woodcutter explained to the young man that he had been sawing for hours and did not have time to take a break.

The young man pushed back… “If you sharpen the saw, you would cut down the tree much faster.”

The woodcutter said “I don’t have time to sharpen the saw. Don’t you see I’m too busy?” “

https://www.livingontherealworld.org...arpen-the-saw/

I imagine that Kenney is looking at this with great envy.

You Could Get Prison Time for Protesting a Pipeline in Texas—Even If It’s on Your Land

The fight against a Texas pipeline just got a little more challenging. On Monday, the Texas Senate passed legislation that makes interfering with pipelines and other oil and gas infrastructure a crime punishable by up to a year in prison and $10,000 in fines. And just the “intent to impair or interrupt” operations could still cost you a $4,000 fine and a year behind bars.

https://www.motherjones.com/environm...-on-your-land/

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

You Could Get Prison Time for Protesting a Pipeline in Texas—Even If It’s on Your Land

The fight against a Texas pipeline just got a little more challenging. On Monday, the Texas Senate passed legislation that makes interfering with pipelines and other oil and gas infrastructure a crime punishable by up to a year in prison and $10,000 in fines. And just the “intent to impair or interrupt” operations could still cost you a $4,000 fine and a year behind bars.

if only we could harness the energy behind your penchant for projecting on others what you want to be there we wouldn't need pipelines.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

if only we could harness the energy behind your penchant for projecting on others what you want to be there we wouldn't need pipelines.
    Well said.

I also see it as reflecting a tendency towards racism, typecasting, stereotyping, prejudicing, labelling, gross generalizing, ...

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    KKozoriz You and PRT really need to get a room , you both have a love fest of each other posts , Quite the romance you two have brewing on here , you both should just marry each other you obviously would never have one fight and live in a blissfull Liberal utopia together
    Hilarious!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I’m not sure if Jason is but I am. Pipeline infrastructure and ROWs should be treated like highways, railways, or runways where expropriation is commonplace. Also If you block or congregate on them you are arrested and charged. Impeding construction thereof gets you arrested. I like the decision a lot. It’s better than here where a few people are allowed to walk all over the majorities wants or needs. If we could only leave the governing of this country to Texas for a while maybe they could straighten this country out a bit. It’s a mess the way it is imo. I believe their decision may have come from watching we the north and thinking there is no way this is going to happen in Texas.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 26-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Me and that well known lefty rag, the Financial Post.

Build pipelines, scrap carbon tax and battle protesters: That’s what Kenney vows to do for Alberta’s oilpatch

https://business.financialpost.com/c...wer-in-alberta

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

there you go with the false equivalencies and projections again.

that lefty rag is discussing pipeline approvals and countering those who lobby against them, something many - on both sides, not just kenney - say is a broken process in canada.

the texas legislation is in regard to interfering with actual existing infrastructure, legislation kenney has never even hinted as needing greater penalties in canada than already exist and also something i would assume neither side would countenance, presumably even you although that is admittedly an assumption/projection on my part that you are free to refute if i'm wrong.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

The UCP has cancelled a working group tasked with banning gay conversion therapy in Alberta.

Former NDP health minister Sarah Hoffman established the working group in February.

It had five months to work out how to follow the lead of Ontario and Manitoba, which have both outlawed the practice.

Conversion therapy is based on the unfounded idea that psychological or spiritual intervention can change someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

The working group comprised of academics, advocates, faith leaders and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-working-group
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

If these two are hooking up, maybe theres a chance for HelloLady and MrOilers to get it on? They both mirror and post the same drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    The UCP has cancelled a working group tasked with banning gay conversion therapy in Alberta.

Former NDP health minister Sarah Hoffman established the working group in February.

It had five months to work out how to follow the lead of Ontario and Manitoba, which have both outlawed the practice.

Conversion therapy is based on the unfounded idea that psychological or spiritual intervention can change someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

The working group comprised of academics, advocates, faith leaders and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community.
    This is a classic case of wasting taxpayers dollars on something that isn't broken, just to try and win a political point. These services already don't qualify for government funding, and we have laws already to enable civil suits if someone is harmed by someone else.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro told Postmedia his party is “of course” opposed to conversion therapy.

“Our priority is always to make sure nobody is forced to do anything, especially children. Children deserve to be living in a caring environment,” he said.
    Shandro’s press secretary Steve Buick said in a follow-up email the working group was disbanded with the change in government.

While the UCP has no plans to bring it back, he said the health minister is “happy to hear from anyone who may have a concern” about the practice.
    “We don’t think there’s a need to address it specifically because it’s not a valid health service,” Buick wrote.

“It’s not practised in Alberta and it cannot be, because no health professional regulator would permit it. Any regulated health professional — doctor, nurse, psychologist, etc. — would be found guilty of unprofessional conduct if they practiced it.”

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If these two are hooking up, maybe theres a chance for HelloLady and MrOilers to get it on? They both mirror and post the same drivel.
    Or you and IanO. You know how make up sex is so great. lol

nah, he's not my type. I prefer the more outdoorsy type, not the metro cliquey types...

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Or you and IanO. You know how make up sex is so great. lol

Ian O doesn post drivel, its PRT and Meds that just keep posting the same thing, along with kKK, so maybe a threesome?
    Animals are my passion.

KKozoriz You and PRT really need to get a room , you both have a love fest of each other posts , Quite the romance you two have brewing on here , you both should just marry each other you obviously would never have one fight and live in a blissful Liberal utopia together
    LOL, that is pretty hilarious..
    Animals are my passion.

Same.

Never will happen. They are both falling in the polls, racing JT in unpopularity
    Never say never.

After all, those "polls" said that Wynne would walk all over Ford. Yet she got crushed so bad on election day that Ford became Premier and Wynne's Liberals lost official party status.

^Its also reflective of what Ford is doing. In politics, you need to make the tough decisions in your first year of government, so that by the time the election rolls round in four years time, the dust has settled / benefits are arising. The NDP in Alberta did the same thing, like the carbon tax - problem was, no benefits arose. By contrast, I expect we will see Ontario in surplus and some tax breaks promised by the next election.

Its the same for Kenney - he needs to move fast this year once he has the required cover, to start slashing Alberta's ridiculous $50 billion dollar government spend (for only 4.5m people). If he does that and the economy hums (which it will if Scheer wins, I have heard a few people predict investment will skyrocket once the Liberals regulatory mess is gone), then I expect a flat individual tax will be the big promise/reward for the pain at the next election.
    Last edited by downtownone; 27-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Same.

Never say never.

After all, those "polls" said that Wynne would walk all over Ford. Yet she got crushed so bad on election day that Ford became Premier and Wynne's Liberals lost official party status.
    Literally fake news. The average poll had Ford winning majority, with the liberals maybe getting one seat and less that 20% of the vote.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker/

Nice try though.

Yeah, there wasn't a single poll in 2018 that had Wynne leading over Ford. There were two polls (out of two dozen++) in 2017 that had Wynne narrowly leading. And in 2016, only one poll showed the same. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_O...#Opinion_polls

I realize it's fun to make up your own memories, but come on.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

This is a classic case of wasting taxpayers dollars on something that isn't broken, just to try and win a political point. These services already don't qualify for government funding, and we have laws already to enable civil suits if someone is harmed by someone else.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro told Postmedia his party is “of course” opposed to conversion therapy.

“Our priority is always to make sure nobody is forced to do anything, especially children. Children deserve to be living in a caring environment,” he said.
    Shandro’s press secretary Steve Buick said in a follow-up email the working group was disbanded with the change in government.

While the UCP has no plans to bring it back, he said the health minister is “happy to hear from anyone who may have a concern” about the practice.
    “We don’t think there’s a need to address it specifically because it’s not a valid health service,” Buick wrote.

“It’s not practised in Alberta and it cannot be, because no health professional regulator would permit it. Any regulated health professional — doctor, nurse, psychologist, etc. — would be found guilty of unprofessional conduct if they practiced it.”
    However, the UCP is totally fine with it being practiced by religious groups, which are the ones doing the vast majority of "conversion therapy"

Conversion therapy survivor worries ban won’t be enough to stop the ‘insidious’ practice in Alberta

CALGARY—Wesley Jensen says the four years following his conversion therapy were the lowest point of his life.

After several sessions with a Mormon church-sponsored counsellor in southern Alberta, Jensen dated women and did everything he could to be “straight” in his early adult years.

He became intensely depressed and borderline suicidal, and started taking antidepressants and anxiety medication.

“I always felt like there was something wrong with me,” Jensen said. “I felt very depressed, very anxious, very upset with myself for not being able to be what my parents and my religion told me I should be.”

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018...n-alberta.html

^actually, it says there a ban won't do anything. So what's the point? I don't think any sane person agrees with this therapy, but at the end of the day, all religions do weird stuff, and its not for us to tell them what they can or can't do or wear (if you want to do that, Quebec is the place to go).

Actually, Jason Kenney would agree with the unconstitutional Quebec ban.

Jason Kenney defends niqab ban at citizenship ceremonies on Twitter

In a Federal Court hearing Thursday in Toronto, one of her lawyers accused Kenney of imposing his own ideology on citizenship ceremonies when he imposed the ban unilaterally in late 2011 in an operational manual.

At the time, Kenney said the niqab represented a view of women that is unacceptable in Canada.

Lorne Waldman, a co-counsel for Ishaq, scoffed at Kenney's public defence, pointing out that the Citizenship Act does not require people to be seen or heard taking the oath.

"Jason Kenney can believe in anything he wants as a private citizen, " he said in an interview on Friday.

"But the minister is confusing his personal beliefs with his obligations as a minister of the Crown. As a minister of the Crown, he has to uphold the laws, and not only was the policy change he made unauthorized, it's inconsistent with existing laws and with the Charter."

He added it was "unusual" for Kenney to weigh on a matter before the courts.

"One would expect at this point for the minister to wait for the court process to unfold," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jas...tter-1.2803642

^Not sure, I've always suspected Kenney had conversion therapy applied to him, he seems to have turned out ok despite that.

Sure, for a self loathing closet case he turned out about as well as expected.

^Not sure, I've always suspected Kenney had conversion therapy applied to him, he seems to have turned out ok despite that.
    I think he's fine, many of his friends speak only well of him, as in generous and giving
    The losing left have nothing good to say.
    Animals are my passion.

Actually, Albertans made it quite clear that they're totally OK with this sort of behaviour. So....

Fines tied to UCP 'kamikaze' campaign now total $71,000

Alberta's election commissioner has levied more fines in the ongoing investigation into the "kamikaze" campaign of United Conservative Party leadership candidate Jeff Callaway.

Cameron Davies, who was Callaway's communications manager, faces a total of $12,000 in new fines for providing money to other individuals that was then used to donate to the campaign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...kaze-1.5151363

Actually, Albertans made it quite clear that they're totally OK with this sort of behaviour. So....

Fines tied to UCP 'kamikaze' campaign now total $71,000

Alberta's election commissioner has levied more fines in the ongoing investigation into the "kamikaze" campaign of United Conservative Party leadership candidate Jeff Callaway.

Cameron Davies, who was Callaway's communications manager, faces a total of $12,000 in new fines for providing money to other individuals that was then used to donate to the campaign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...kaze-1.5151363
    I assume that you are an Albertan. So you just said that you are totally OK with it.

Also, Trudeau and other Liberals may get re-elected because enough Canadians are fine with their various scandals.

A majority voted for Kenney and the UCP. Federally, the ruling party rarely has a majority of votes.

Indeed: he's alive and well and thriving. Sexuality is a choice. Sadly in a world of choice, most are no longer of a sound mind.

If it were a choice, I’m pretty sure certain people would have made the choice to be straight, rather than remain in the closet.

If it were a choice, I’m pretty sure certain people would have made the choice to be straight, rather than remain in the closet.
    No, no. Safir is evidently bisexual (i.e. able to make a choice), so everyone else MUST be just like him/her.

Yes, I could be homosexual at any time. And may have (depending on what happened in Thailand) .

Certain people are barking mad. In any case, the payoff to being gay has never been higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Certain people are barking mad. In any case, the payoff to being gay has never been higher.
    Do explain. As a straight white male, I wasn’t aware that there were “payoffs” to being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I think he's fine, many of his friends speak only well of him, as in generous and giving
    The losing left have nothing good to say.
    But them tears are delicious
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast