Thread: Edmonton Oilers - 2019 off-season thread

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Oilers - 2019 off-season thread

I just got off the phone with Bob Nicholson, who told me that Ken Holland will become the next GM of the Edmonton Oilers unless some unforseen circumstances arise. He did not say what will become of Keith Gretzky, Ken Hitchcock or the rest of the staff.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

You had a one-on-one conversation with Bob Nicholson, or was that part of a conference call?

Anyway, I could imagine Holland wouldn't be as bad as Chiarelli, but that doesn't mean he's good enough. The Wings' cap management failures are quite disturbing.

I'm not optimistic about this, but, as always with my Oilers fandom, I want to be wrong.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I'd rather C2E than work!

I believe that Mark Hunter is the one that Oilers should get. He has done a good job with London Knights of OHL in the last few yrs.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

I wonder if the OBC will stay together.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^^ Mark Hunter would be good although there's his relative lack of NHL experience plus his tenuous links with the Boys On The Bus.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Saw an article that suggested Holland trade Lucic (likely to Van for picks), buyout Sekera, and sign free agent Matt Duchene likely in the 8-9mil range.
    Lucic is addition by subtraction and Duchene would certainly add firepower. Would need a few more complementary players.

It would be impossible to trade Lucic for picks without taking on salary in return. How can anyone make an argument that he has enough trade value to yield such a return? No team would buy Lucic's radioactive, buyout-proof contract for even a 7th round pick!

You might be able to trade Lucic with picks in order to shed his salary while taking on little or nothing in return, but that could be a steep cost just to get rid of the dude.

The likelier course of action is the Oilers trading Lucic for a similarly problematic contract, or a less problematic contract while retaining a significant portion of his salary.

It is going to be a challenge.

#### Chiarelli and Nicholson.

^or Lucic for another bad contract. I'm not sure that helps the team much (if nothing else, at least Lucic brings some toughness). The latest rumor is Erickson in Vancouver:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/luci...-interest-2019

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Saw an article that suggested Holland trade Lucic (likely to Van for picks), buyout Sekera, and sign free agent Matt Duchene likely in the 8-9mil range.
    Lucic is addition by subtraction and Duchene would certainly add firepower. Would need a few more complementary players.
    Who came up with that plan, exactly? First of all, you're not trading Lucic for picks. Unless you mean that the Oilers are packaging a bunch of THEIR picks to bribe a team in to taking his awful contract. Otherwise, the best that can be hoped for is trading his contract for an equally bad one, like Ericksson in Vancouver. Or maybe they can up the value a bit by throwing in picks, prospects, or retention on Lucic's salary. Otherwise, no bueno. Lucic is a net negative in ANY trade. You don't get anything back for him save an asset that is also a negative.

Buying out Sekera probably makes sense, but I feel like it would make more sense next year so you don't have 4 years of fairly heavy penalties. He's not worth his contract, but he's a solid player. I think they'd be better off trying to move Russell, as his contract isn't as bad (although still not great) but he's still nothing more than a 3rd pairing shot blocker.

As far as Duchene goes, first of all, he'd have to want to go to Edmonton. As we've seen repeatedly, few players do when the choice is totally up to them. And I can't say I blame them, even if just going by on ice performance and the off-ice gong-show. So that means you have to wildly overpay for them (see every single free-agent signing the Oilers have made in the cap era). The Oilers already have a problem with a bunch of overpaid players on their roster, and are desperate to get rid of some. So then they should immediately turn around and throw money/term at another one? Duchene is 28. His best years are already behind him, and they were never great to begin with. He's put up nearly identical numbers to Eberle in his career (.75 PPG vs .72 PPG). And someone thinks its a good idea to throw a 5+ year contract at 8-9 million for him? Count me out.

The fact is, the teams that win Cups do not do it through free agency. They build from within, and maybe there's a couple trades along the way. But for teams that have won Cups in the cap era, almost none invested significant dollars in big game hunting on July 1. The ones that try to build like that end up capped out.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 06-05-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Read this blog post dissecting Holland from Detroit yesterday and weep....

http://detroitsportsrag.com/overrate...nt-the-answer/

Edmonton Oilers announced there will be a 10am press conference today.

Ian,

I am pleased to share we will be officially introducing Ken Holland as the new General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Edmonton Oilers in just a few minutes. Ken’s experience as a hockey executive and his success as an NHL General Manager set him apart from everyone else identified in our search for this key leadership role. His arrival marks an important step towards delivering the success we all expect on the ice. Ken will have my full support and will receive complete autonomy on all aspects of Oilers hockey operations.

Our news conference to introduce Ken will be broadcast live on EdmontonOilers.com, Sportsnet, 630 CHED and Global News 880 beginning at 10:00 AM MT today.

Thank you again for your commitment to Oilers hockey.

Sincerely,

Bob Nicholson signature
    Bob Nicholson
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

what happened to katz...is he the physical embodiment of every oiler fan's suffering?

Katz sat in the sun too long and his plastic nose melted..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    what happened to katz...is he the physical embodiment of every oiler fan's suffering?

Holy...Batman, what happened?!

Ol' Holland already looks like he's sorry he took the job.

Seattle dreamin'
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 07-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^^
    ^^^
    ^^

for what it's worth, i hope i'm judged on what i actually manage to accomplish and not on physical appearance.

does that mean i'm not open to criticism or that katz hasn't earned his fair share of criticism based on what has been delivered and how? not in the least, but those are different things (for good reason).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

The reasons for his (startling, I admit) physical appearance have now been disclosed and appear to be quite serious:
    https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...16734701826048
    https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...17234608263168

glad someone cleared that up. get better katzman

C2E SME

Get well Daryl.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^^^^
    ^^^
    ^^

for what it's worth, i hope i'm judged on what i actually manage to accomplish and not on physical appearance.

does that mean i'm not open to criticism or that katz hasn't earned his fair share of criticism based on what has been delivered and how? not in the least, but those are different things (for good reason).
    If we judged what he accomplished with the team any comments would have been far far worse...

Poor guy sat in the sun too long, that is a mighty sun burn.

C2E SME

Given how much of my money has gone in to Katz's pocket the last 11 years with minimal tangible return, I will feel no guilt about making (more) Oompa Loompa jokes. But seriously, that sounds like no fun, hope he manages to kick it.

Holland said that Hitchcock won't be back as coach. Who will replace him?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Holland said that Hitchcock won't be back as coach. Who will replace him?

Well since you apparently have a direct line to Bob Nicholson - why don't you call him and ask??

C2E SME

Tippett or Nelson would be my guesses. Thankfully Toronto has said they're retaining Babcock, so he's not an option.

The lure of coaching the Oilers will have to be mighty to lure Tippett away from his job with the Seattle franchise.

Wonder if they'd consider Jay Woodcroft as the new head coach? He's done a hell of a job in Bakersfield.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Tippett or Nelson would be my guesses. Thankfully Toronto has said they're retaining Babcock, so he's not an option.
    If Todd Nelson is considered one of the front-runners, I'm not sure we should be 'thankful' that Babcock is not even an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    The reasons for his (startling, I admit) physical appearance have now been disclosed and appear to be quite serious:
    https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...16734701826048
    https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...17234608263168
    He has one more surgery left, I wish him well..
    I didn't even recognise his voice..
    Animals are my passion.

Hang in Daryl, we’re all rooting for you.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5126650

He carried an IV bag 24/7 during the playoff run, two seasons ago," Shannon wrote. "The infection has a 50-50 survival rate. He's had three surgeries over the past 10 months with one more surgery to go. It is the primary reason why he hasn't been around Edmonton and the team."
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    If Todd Nelson is considered one of the front-runners, I'm not sure we should be 'thankful' that Babcock is not even an option.
    What's the concern with Nelson? All he's done is win at every level he's coached, cup of coffee with a terrible Oilers team aside. He just hasn't had an opportunity at the NHL level. Apparently he gets rave reviews from his players for being an excellent communicator and so on. The main reason I mention him as being a front runner is that Holland hired Nelson to coach Grand Rapids a few years back, so there's a relationship there.

Personally I want nothing to do with Babcock and his giant ego. His coaching decisions in the playoffs this year in terms of player usage was totally unjustifiable. Playing Matthews 18 minutes in a game 7 was completely asinine: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/mike-b...cisions-game-7

I think he's quite overrated and don't think he's worth his huge salary. So I'm glad to see that Toronto is going to keep him around for a 4th consecutive first round exit.

C2E SME

I liked Nelson as Oilers coach.

One of the Dallas Stars beat writers reported today that a team has approached them about talking to Todd Nelson about a head coaching position...hmmm...

Nelson did a great job cleaning up after the Eakins hairdo disaster. I think he'd be a terrific hire.

As for Katz, he's run an awful hockey operation, but that's no reason not to wish him a full recovery.
    ... gobsmacked

I don't remember the Oilers winning the cup under Nelson (not even reaching playoffs). I don't think its ever a good idea to pick someone from the past.

I disagree. Sign him up. He will give it his all and is one smart coach. He’s not the only one the oilers let slip away. Krueger comes to mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Nelson did a great job cleaning up after the Eakins hairdo disaster. I think he'd be a terrific hire.

As for Katz, he's run an awful hockey operation, but that's no reason not to wish him a full recovery.

Wouldn't that be funny.

Top_Dawg remembers the Coache's Corner episode where ol' Grapes said that the Oilewrs should continue with Todd as coach.

Todd Nelson that is.

Not hire Todd McLellan.

Because he had them playing quite well during the lockout shortened season.

Had they done that Taylor Hall would probly still be an Oiler.

Out of a 31 team NHL why would Nelson come back here to the one org that kicked him out on his *** for no reason?

An org that deferred moving him up multiple times, took a flyer on a goof like Eakins INSTEAD of him, then granted Nelson only clean up duty, which he did extremely well, and then turfed him in favor of a more recognized coach.

Why would you go back to the org that showed it refused to believe in you multiple times?

Maybe Nelson is different than your average bear but I'm not that way inclined. I would not go back to an employer that did all this.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Ken Holland is on Oilers Now now. Told Bob Stauffer he has a list of potential coaches to interview.

Also said he is going to lean on Hitchcock's opinions on coaches since Hitch has coached against or with whoever are the candidates.

Deftly avoiding the poisonous mess that is Oiler management, Ralph Krueger signs with the Buffalo Sabres:

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...7-2c083f49304a
    ... gobsmacked

MacT has signed up as head coach with KHL Locomotiv, so that's one member of the Old Boys Club gone

^bold move - that's the team that lost its players in a plane crash a few years back. Good for him, but a big lifestyle change.

C2E Posting Power

Holland push him out? Didn't know he could do that....thought only Bobby could do that.....

Speaking of the Old Boys Club - how long before we see Simmer on the staff? Or maybe even Anderson or Mess? I'd be ok with both!!!

C2E SME

No more ex-Oilers in management or coaching. Especially ones like Messier and Coffey who only appear to be interested in doing it part time. Sure it's good to keep some of the vets around for promotional purposes etc, but no more Old Boys Club influence on hockey operations. Best of luck to MacT in the KHL. I look forward to seeing Howson, Greene and a few others finding employment elsewhere as well.

Please let Bob Green and Scott Howson be next!

No more ex-Oilers in management or coaching. Especially ones like Messier and Coffey who only appear to be interested in doing it part time. Sure it's good to keep some of the vets around for promotional purposes etc, but no more Old Boys Club influence on hockey operations. Best of luck to MacT in the KHL. I look forward to seeing Howson, Greene and a few others finding employment elsewhere as well.
    The Oilers pay Coffey $500K per year, reportedly. It must be nice to be on the OBC Welfare program.

MacT gone? My, my, a little less poison in the management well.

KHL? Had to have been pushed. Players, coaches sometimes don't get paid for months on end.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Good luck MacT!

What exactly have Coffey and Messier done for the Oilers lately? I know Coffey was supposed to be a D-man coach but I haven't heard from him all season.

Good luck McT.!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Please let Bob Green and Scott Howson be next!
    It is not the Old Boys Club that's the failure. The problem is it's the wrong Old Boys.

Charlie Huddy, Bill Ranford, Marc Habscheid, Todd Marchant are doing excellent assistant coaching/player development duties.

I agree, next to go is Bob Green and Scott Howson. I may also add Duane Sutter.

p.s...What ever happened to Kelly Buchberger? LOL

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What exactly have Coffey and Messier done for the Oilers lately? I know Coffey was supposed to be a D-man coach but I haven't heard from him all season.
    Actually I think he was hired as a skills coach or consultant, towards the end of the 17/18 season, without much consultation with McLellan. The whole thing was bizarre. Apparently he barely showed up in Edmonton as he was more focused on his kid's bantam or midget team, and others in the organization were not impressed about it. Very little explanation was ever given why he was hired, who hired him, what he was supposed to be working on, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    p.s...What ever happened to Kelly Buchberger? LOL

Coaching in the WHL the last couple years.

I think Craig MacTavish has been the hardest working and most dedicated person ever in the oilers organization right from his first day here. Thanks so much Craig for your dedication all these years. Been a fan of yours right back to Boston. Good Luck in the KHL and all future endeavours, including happy retirement years.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-05-2019 at 07:49 AM.