Thread: Old Earl's site

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Old Earl's site

The old Earls/Planet Organic site at Jasper and 122 St., has Apex Contractors on site apparently doing (limited?) demolition work. This site and the one directly north of it has been fenced off since Planet Organic moved into its new digs in J22. Anyone have any info as to what's going on there?

There was a proposal for that site I thought. I think I recalled a 33 story tower at one point for that.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

This idea that every proposal has to be this tall is lunacy, especially when they don’t get built or take too long to proceed. Guess what, downtown Toronto has many low to mid rise projects being built. Let’s be realistic, and focus on density.

I'm not sure what's going on with this site, but Cidex Group owns this plot of land https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54160...7i13312!8i6656 behind it as per this thread on skyrisecities https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...r.29229/page-2

I'd rather C2E than work!

I’m confused... was this site ever an Earl’s? Did Earl’s tin palace have a different location along Jasper at one time? I know there was a restaurant where the Planet Organic was along Jasper, but I’m fairly certain it wasn’t Earl’s before it closed and became Planet Organic.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

The former "Planet Organic" was the very original 'Earl'. Yhe 'Tin Palace' is also another Earl that came much later- at least 35+years in existence nevertheless.

^^the history is: Fuller's, which morphed into Earl's, then after the Tin Palace opened it became Cactus Club, with the peanuts on the floor. Then Planet Organic.

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    ^^the history is: Fuller's, which morphed into Earl's, then after the Tin Palace opened it became Cactus Club, with the peanuts on the floor. Then Planet Organic.
    Isn't there some White Spot connection too?

I’m back. I was wrong, no apparent white spot connection at all, just Fullers as buildings post above says.

Fullers was behind the Earls brand.

Interesting history here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl...taurant_chain)
    “...His first restaurant was opened in Sunburst, Montana, United States, in 1954 under the name "Green & White". In the late 1950s, Fuller moved his young family to Canada and operated a series of A&W (Canada) locations in Edmonton, Alberta. Soon, the Fullers were operating thirty locations.[2][3] In the 1970s, the Fullers moved west to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

It was during this time that Fuller went into business with his son Stan Fuller, founding the first Earls restaurant in 1982 in Edmonton. The chain quickly grew when the Fullers set up an Earls restaurant in their new home town of Vancouver in 1983. ”
    Last edited by KC; 28-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Wow! The hostile postings in that thread beat c2e’s Trump thread nonsense by several years.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Is this a Cidex project?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Is this a Cidex project?
    Are you musing or is this a breadcrumb you're leaving ....

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Is this a Cidex project?
    No, I don't believe so. They (Cidex) apparently have another site on 124 Street. I also heard that they had/have an interest in the old ATCO lands north of MacEwan.

^ thought MacEwan was trying to buy up as much of the land north of 105 Ave. as possible. While we're on it, I heard a rumor that MacEwan owns the land that the Olive Safeway is on. Does anybody know?

If they do, it would be a new purchase. I worked at MacEwan in the early 2000s and they only owned the land that they’ve built on to this point.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

He said, "... they had/have interest in owning the land..." That does not mean 'Cidex' own the land or won a bid to own the land.

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    The old Cactus Club had the best, hands down, the best Cajun Chicken Caesar salad known to man. And I had a paper mache cow from there as a piggy bank. good times!