Thread: Downtown Residential Parking Permit Program

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Downtown Residential Parking Permit Program

This is a topic that has come up a few times on this message board and I thought I'd revive it here. One of the major problems with Edmonton's downtown is lack of accessibility via vehicular traffic. Things like 2 hour time limits and a guaranteed visit from the friendly neighborhood meter maid have (in my own personal experience) driven people away from downtown. My friends and I used to gather after six for wings and beer and going to different establishments. Now, the confusing hours of operations and restraints put in place in the arena district have completely destroyed that tradition of ours. I now leave downtown and meet with them in the suburbs - where our vehicles won't be ticketed if we drink too much and make the responsible choice.

Personally, I've decided to leave downtown and will be moving to New Westminster to start a new career at the end of this month. I had my pick of job opportunities, but I chose to relocate for a number of personal indiscretions I have with how this city is ran - this happened to be a big point for me.

One thing I noticed while there; and is something that Edmonton should employ, is residential parking permits in the downtown core. If you have a permanent residence within the community, you will be issued up to resident passes and 1 guest pass. Something like this could generate some extra revenue for the city and make living in the downtown area much more easier. Also, the ancillary benefits are that the community becomes much more inviting for people wanting to enjoy patio life such as my friends and I used to.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 13-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

According to a vocal part of the "Why people want to live downtown" committee, people who move downtown don't want or use cars.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    According to a vocal part of the "Why people want to live downtown" committee, people who move downtown don't want or use cars.
    I could get away with it. I was bored one day and calculated the economic loss by our little group to be just over 20,000 dollars per year.

The tax revenue generated by that money is about twice as much as the revenue generated by the parking tickets before everyone got fed up and stopped going.

But hey, what do I know?