Thread: 2019 Pride Parade Cancelled?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries
    President and CEO - Edmonton Airshow. Soon to rebrand to something global.

Sounds like they ate their own.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Sounds like they ate their own.
    Haha yeah. If what I read on things have an substance of truth theres lots of drama. It seems the organizations had enough and decided its not worth the trouble.

C2E SME

A similar series of events happened in Calgary a few years ago, where a group of trans/people of colour more or less destroyed an advocacy organization because not everyone involved in it had enough diversity points. A good friend was on the board of that organization and quit both in disgust as well as to protect themselves, as there were threats of lawsuits flying around as well. She was gay, but white. The name of the organization escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it folded in the aftermath after the executive director and board were forced out.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 11-04-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Changed to "people of colour" instead of "coloured people"

Pretty clear what happened and if one scrolls down and reads the whole article the unwarranted criticism just continues unabated.

Have the parade and some subgroups call out Pride parade for not getting it completely right for all.

Decide not to have the parade and the SAME groups call the decision APPALLING.

My sympathies, really, to the organizers. A lot of effort gets put into this but there is no pleasing, apparently.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

So it wasn’t a case of everyone embracing diversity. Walking the talk.

I'd rather C2E than work!

That's a shame. I don't go anymore, but it's fun.
    Maybe they'll change their minds?
    Animals are my passion.

^^

Good one KC.

'Parently some are more diverse than others.

A lot of people at the time supported the uber activism, the stopping the pride parade, the grandstanding, etc. At the time I saw it for what it is. Serial actions by a certain group that pulled out the same tactics in Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary pride parades in formulaic faction. A faction that was influenced by Black Lives Matter aggressive tactics.

People that are younger have not seen things like this before, have not witnessed movements being co-opted before or subject to infighting, external factions, demands etc. The people that stopped the parade, and their supporters were not just interest in their own inclusion, they might think that, but they were interested in a power play, and they did that, and apparently have been doing it since.

Like I said the biggest irony is a faction that has STOPPED the parade again, even before it starts this time, is stating that not having the parade this year is "appalling". But the same group put the parade at risk even last year through their grandstanding demands.

Everybody else suffers.

Militancy doesn't often hold a lot of self awareness.

These are learning episodes though, potentially, and hopefully that cooperation vs co-option can lead to better results. But some factions don't know how to cooperate, or even want that.

Gotta say this too but its unproductive, and ironic for the interests involved that these announcements are occurring in the midst of the Provincial election because the Pride Parade was very political in that way as well. Now they can't be pro NDP and anti UCP during their profile parade event.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

BLM messed it up for Toronto. I thought they were all about inclusion? I gather they aren't!
    Animals are my passion.

I don’t think they were anti UPC they put out a list of criteria asking participants how they would support the LGBT population.... they wouldn’t or failed to give an acceptable reply. Thusly they were not included.

I mean the man who heads the party gleeful bragged about keeping dying partners with HIV separated and has refused to apologize for it...

Anyways this isn’t about political parties it’s about the inclusion of all populations in the gay community, which hasn’t happened.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    BLM messed it up for Toronto. I thought they were all about inclusion? I gather they aren't!
    Off the walls militancy, that's what they are about, its what they spread. A little background. The Volunteers of Pride were trying to take a vote on how to proceed, they were willing to have 4 members of the protesters to attend the meeting, not all of them, because we know what happens when BLM operative style factions do when they invade a meeting. They threaten, push, get hostile, and all for the purpose of intimidating. 30 protesters barged into the meeting, forced their way, and saw nothing at all wrong with intimidating behavior. Police were called, police responded.

This is the fairest report that gives more detail on what the protesters were alleged to do.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5154261/2...d-email-april/

“Indeed, several of our board members and staff were pushed and shoved. One board member was cornered and yelled at and told they were not allowed to leave.”

“We’ve suffered assault, we’ve suffered intimidation, we’ve suffered verbal assault as well, so having a loud, screaming group of people coming into quite a small building and to be pushed was triggering for us.”

Ironically one of the activist demands was to cancel the present parade and festival and replace it with a grassroots parade except they wanted Pride to pay each faction 20K (from the sky) to pay for a radical parade. This was one of their several demands.

The biggest irony in all this is that Pride ended up having to call police for help after agreeing to remove them from the parade. That had to be a little odd for all involved and perhaps indication of why you might not want to ban police in the first place.

Pride was founded via off the wall militancy. We rioted in the streets. We burned things. During the aids crisis we occupied govt buildings...

I sure am enjoying all these straight males telling me what my pride is or isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Off the walls militancy, that's what they are about, its what they spread. A little background. The Volunteers of Pride were trying to take a vote on how to proceed, they were willing to have 4 members of the protesters to attend the meeting, not all of them, because we know what happens when BLM operative style factions do when they invade a meeting. They threaten, push, get hostile, and all for the purpose of intimidating. 30 protesters barged into the meeting, forced their way, and saw nothing at all wrong with intimidating behavior. Police were called, police responded.

This is the fairest report that gives more detail on what the protesters were alleged to do.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5154261/2...d-email-april/

“Indeed, several of our board members and staff were pushed and shoved. One board member was cornered and yelled at and told they were not allowed to leave.”

“We’ve suffered assault, we’ve suffered intimidation, we’ve suffered verbal assault as well, so having a loud, screaming group of people coming into quite a small building and to be pushed was triggering for us.”

Ironically one of the activist demands was to cancel the present parade and festival and replace it with a grassroots parade except they wanted Pride to pay each faction 20K (from the sky) to pay for a radical parade. This was one of their several demands.

The biggest irony in all this is that Pride ended up having to call police for help after agreeing to remove them from the parade. That had to be a little odd for all involved and perhaps indication of why you might not want to ban police in the first place.
    I don't know what happened or all the history here, but if this is what happened I can understand some or all of the volunteer board saying who needs this and quitting. Personally, I wouldn't give into intimidation tactics, but there is only so much volunteers will put up with. I hope somehow the problems and conflict gets resolved. I don't know how legitimate the anger and grievances are, but having no event is not beneficial for the community.

The list of demands from last year's protesters are here: https://www.facebook.com/shadesofcolour.yeg/

I'm personally saddened by this cancellation. I remember back 20 years ago our little marches on Jasper Avenue to Oliver Community League Hall with counter protesters and Deb Grey on motorbike...

Some facilitation will have to happen to address the concerns, if they can be addressed. I thought that would have occurred over the last year or so, before it got to this point, but perhaps not.

The Edmonton Pride Festival's mandate must be defined. At its core it is to host a parade and put on a week of festivities. I'm not sure it is the venue where all grievances can be solved or accommodated.
    www.decl.org

Green I actually think it might be the perfect place for people to fight for visibility and change.

But we have gay men and women in our police force, and in our military. BLM exuded them in Toronto Pride,and said that they were no longer allowed to be in parade.
    BLM, needs to do its own thing, leave the pride parade alone.
    If you need help you call the police, the very people you are excluding.. Its so unfair.
    I remberance when the pride parade was so small, now it's grown , it's a happy and proud event.
    Animals are my passion.

They want them excluded for good reasons. The police may have come a ways re tackling internal biases re minorities but they have a long way to go.

^My understanding is the police would not be part of the parade to address that concern, no?

The parade is already meant to be inclusive, a place to be visible. I'm not sure what else could be realistically accomplished. No parade is worse imo. The majority of people are disappointed it's not happening.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Pride was founded via off the wall militancy. We rioted in the streets. We burned things. During the aids crisis we occupied govt buildings...

I sure am enjoying all these straight males telling me what my pride is or isn’t.
    "we"

So you did all those things and took part?

Lets be clear on logic here too. You don't have to be a UCP member to deride them, and you have every right to. Just as example. Nor do I need to be a BLM member to see right through their militant activist bs.

But more to the point is its possible that a narrative is being recreated, by factions that want that central focus to be the narrative. The Edmonton Pride festival did not start with smoke and bombs and rioting. Factions that say it should be that now deserve themselves.

The biggest irony however, and this apparently escapes you, is specious and fractious interests are telling and demanding what the Edmonton Pride festival should be, and you're totally buying that. Even though one can make an argument that the ones running the thing probably deserved to have some say. But they were told what their pride should be, in demands.

You don't see that irony?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

you're absolutely correct in your recollections regardless of whether they are personal or communal...

and while you are also correct in your observation about "straight males telling you what your pride is or isn't", at least they are no longer telling you that you "don't belong at the same table as everyone else as an equal" regardless of your orientation or what your pride is or isn't.

is that unqualified acceptance and support universal? unfortunately not yet, but neither is the elimination of racism or anti-semitism or islamophobia. is that enough? no, but on all fronts we collectively have more allies and friends that we sometimes want to acknowledge and that should count for something and not be dismissed.
    Last edited by kcantor; 11-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Hmm. Interesting.

An inherent inclusive, individualizing mindset?

“we”,
    “men”,
    “women”,
    “our”,
    ”you”,
    “people”.

“But we have gay men and women in our police force, and in our military.”...

But we have gay men and women in our police force, and in our military. BLM exuded them in Toronto Pride,and said that they were no longer allowed to be in parade.
    BLM, needs to do its own thing, leave the pride parade alone.
    If you need help you call the police, the very people you are excluding.. Its so unfair.
    I remberance when the pride parade was so small, now it's grown , it's a happy and proud event.

A inherent us-vs-them, labelling, generalizing mindset?

“They”,
    “the police”,
    “but they”,
    “them”.

“They want...” “the police may have come a ways... but they...”

They want them excluded for good reasons. The police may have come a ways re tackling internal biases re minorities but they have a long way to go.
    Last edited by KC; 11-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Blm leave the pride parade alone. Until you turned up, everything was fine. We had people of colour IN the pride parade, you spoil it for everyone!
    Animals are my passion.

Edmonton black population according to the 2011 census was 3.8%
    Aboriginal - 5.3% (including First nations, Metis)

http://worldpopulationreview.com/wor...on-population/

Black people, aboriginal women over-represented in 'carding' police stops

Aboriginal people accounted for 21.6 per cent of cases where a single race was reported, though just over five per cent of Edmonton’s population was aboriginal at the 2011 census, the most recent year for which data is available.

Black people, meanwhile, accounted for 11.1 per cent of street checks despite being a smaller proportion of the population.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...g-police-stops

One of the risks of "intersectionalism" is that all those intersections are potential loyalty divisors, e.g., "I'm a gay black man." - that's 3 separate divisors: 1. gay vs the other letters in the LGBTQ... spectrum, 2. black vs the other colours, and 3. man vs (women + the other LGBTQ... identities). Even for the regular non-militant Joe, there are going to be conflicts in a world that seems to be focused on "identity." That's how BLM got its foot in the door...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

you're absolutely correct in your recollections regardless of whether they are personal or communal...

and while you are also correct in your observation about "straight males telling you what your pride is or isn't", at least they are no longer telling you that you "don't belong at the same table as everyone else as an equal" regardless of your orientation or what your pride is or isn't.

is that unqualified acceptance and support universal? unfortunately not yet, but neither is the elimination of racism or anti-semitism or islamophobia. is that enough? no, but on all fronts we collectively have more allies and friends that we sometimes want to acknowledge and that should count for something and not be dismissed.
    And yet if the polls are to be believed, this guy could become the next premier of the province. So yes, progress has been made but there's still a long way to go.

Blm leave the pride parade alone. Until you turned up, everything was fine. We had people of colour IN the pride parade, you spoil it for everyone!
    It’s important to recognize that BLM doesn’t think or believe anything. It’s the individuals within it that likely have a variety of opinions, aims and desires. Like any group, it’s only the few current leaders that are currently setting the agenda.

Its when people start looking deeper than the ignorant racialized, sexualized, stereotyped, politicized, grossly over-generalized labels and start seeing the actual individuals that happen to be part of innumerable groups and not just defined by silly over-simplified labels, then we’ll start to see that they is always also we. Tolerance isn’t just tolerating different genetic factors like skin colours, or tolerating historical adopted and inherited factors like ethic, religious and political backgrounds, it’s also tolerating different ways people express those beliefs. Sometimes it’s expressed without i finite patience, with harsh and even threatening words etc.

Lots of people talk tolerance for their own vested interests but then turn around and show intolerance towards someone(s) else.

I love all the people, who are mostly straight and white, telling people of colour how and what they should protest.

From Shades of Colour YEG on Facebook.

Pride Cancelled 2019

SHADES OF COLOUR COMMUNITY YEG·WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10, 2019

It is with profound disappointment that we express our appallment at the actions carried out by the Edmonton Pride Festival Society, which culminated in their decision to cancel the 2019 Pride Festival.

We are calling this decision for what it is: namely, a disavowal of deep systematic problems in the framework of EPFS as well as an attempt to dismiss, target, and put out of play the efforts put on the part of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour in the LGBTQ2S+ to point towards alternatives on how this organization carries out its activities.

Time and again, EPFS has taken advantage of some of the most vulnerable members in its community - as we may remember on April 4th 2019, EPFS was uncaringly willing to deploy the very policing institution that they are still under fire for defending at the expense of racialized and colonized members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Edmonton Pride Festival Society has repeatedly taken multiple steps backwards in reassessing and reasserting its commitments in the community---whatever was called progress last year is but an empty statement when they are willing to put communities into further vulnerable positions time and again. Here we are talking about immigrants and refugees that have already been persecuted, policed, and incarcerated as well as 2SLGBTQ+ folks, it takes a certain lack of tact to do this.

We believe this announcement is an attempt to redirect the discontent arising from the cancellation of the Pride Festival onto communities that have done nothing but speak their truth. We will see blanket statements such as “letting the haters win”, but the problem is much more profound than that. In the decisions carried out by the EPFS, no one won, except some lost systematically more deeply than others.

With the awareness that the Executive Directors of multiple 2SLGBTQ+ organizations and institutions are meeting on April 10th, we stress that systematic restructuring of these organizations is in order. With consistent failures to rise to occasions of accountability, we plead for taking a look at what these organizations have become of themselves under its current frameworks.

- Shades of Color YEG

https://www.facebook.com/notes/shade...7376448429841/

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I love all the people, who are mostly straight and white, telling people of colour how and what they should protest.
    I love all the posters who don't have people of colour in their families, telling those that do, how to think! Most of us know already!
    ALM !
    Animals are my passion.

First One is Always Free

Default Re: "... '... everyone being welcome at Pride,' ..."

The mayor said he's heard of Pride organizations in other cities encountering similar situations.

"This is not something limited to the city of Edmonton. We understand Pride organizations are encountering challenges around North America, with increasing complexity and what does it mean to be inclusive to everybody.

'I have sympathy for the Pride board and the challenges that they faced trying to figure out how to create an event that is welcoming to everyone, which is the spirit of Pride, that’s its heritage.'

https://globalnews.ca/news/5156731/e...elled-protest/
    Endorsing, supporting, or celebrating pride does not include a large identifiable group of people.

Events that endorse, support, or celebrate pride are not welcoming to a large identifiable number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by dpwozney View Post
    The mayor said he's heard of Pride organizations in other cities encountering similar situations.

"This is not something limited to the city of Edmonton. We understand Pride organizations are encountering challenges around North America, with increasing complexity and what does it mean to be inclusive to everybody.

'I have sympathy for the Pride board and the challenges that they faced trying to figure out how to create an event that is welcoming to everyone, which is the spirit of Pride, that’s its heritage.'

https://globalnews.ca/news/5156731/e...elled-protest/
    Endorsing, supporting, or celebrating pride does not include a large identifiable group of people.

Events that endorse, support, or celebrate pride are not welcoming to a large identifiable number of people.
    People that support human rights is a big identifiable group IMO.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

The Edmonton Pride Parade has turned into an Oppression Olympics where everyone apparently lost.
    Dumpster fire! The media coverage was even worse. They lapped up the press release from the organization saying that they blamed "the current political climate", clearly a dog whistle to those who hate Kenney.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/2019-e...ival-cancelled
    Last edited by Safir; 12-04-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    The Edmonton Pride Parade has turned into an Oppression Olympics where everyone apparently lost.
    Dumpster fire! The media coverage was even worse. They lapped up the press release from the organization saying that they blamed "the current political climate", clearly a dog whistle to those who hate Kenney.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/2019-e...ival-cancelled
    Tried. If you go pride parade on FB or any news outlet, they are blaming BLM. The left are eating one another, and nobody wins. Blaming Kenney is weak, very weak..I'd tell BLM to blank off, and continue as we they were. It will never be enough for BLM, never..no matter where it's held.
    Animals are my passion.