Default Westrich - Grandin tower 2

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Looks good.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Looks like crap.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Suburban design, hideous. Edmonton Design Committee is comprised of dolts with no taste.

I would like to see a more refined render. This one is quite vague when looking at it. The whole concept is heavily influenced by the 'General' from what I could see.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 05-04-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Suburban design, hideous. Edmonton Design Committee is comprised of dolts with no taste.
    Please explain because I am not clear what you mean by this.

C2E Continued Contributor

Taking a closer look at the materials they plan to employ, I think thisíll look great.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Meaning it would be acceptable in Windermere, but downtown/Oliver deserve better.

I really don't get this. Out of curiosity could you post an example of the type of tower design you think Westrich should be going with for this site in your view?

I think it looks good, would like to see all four sides. It's a bit different with some step-back articulation (I think)which reminds me of some of the older towers along Victoria Promenade that still look great today.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Reminds me of some of the newer stuff in Toronto and MTL.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
    I really don't get this. Out of curiosity could you post an example of the type of tower design you think Westrich should be going with for this site in your view?

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Reminds me of some of the newer stuff in Toronto and MTL.
    LMFAO!

Those are the sorts of towers that I hope start to crop up more in the Warehouse district, but I don't think something like that would be quite appropriate for this lot in Grandin.

Those are the sorts of towers that I hope start to crop up more in the Warehouse district, but I don't think something like that would be quite appropriate for this lot in Grandin.
    Exactly, I wonder which of those dreamscapes was built on two small residential lots... not everything scales proportionally.

How is this tower being accepted as good looking but the Falcon towers are not? Is it perhaps some bias toward the developer and not the actual design? IMO the Falcon towers look far better.

I will just back to sitting quietly in the corner now.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    How is this tower being accepted as good looking but the Falcon towers are not? Is it perhaps some bias toward the developer and not the actual design? IMO the Falcon towers look far better.

Why? You’re entitled to your opinions.

Nah it employs different materials and is stylistically unique. One could say this is a rendering that under delivers.

Rendering isn't detailed enough for me to pass judgement on the thing, heck would appear a good deal better if most of the windows weren't whited out.

I like the tower because it looks different, and the texture of the blue portion is done very well. My opinion of the tower will probably stay the same or get worse when seeing the other side, let's hope this tower looks decent on all sides.
    Last edited by ThomasH; 06-04-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Because his post was way off base. Insulting.
    Big Bird did nothing of the sort.

The only off base, offensive and insulting posts were clearly yours.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I don’t care what you have to say. You’re nobody.

And you are?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Meaning it would be acceptable in Windermere, but downtown/Oliver deserve better.
    What we think deserves what is irrelevant to the rules of commerce. When oliver plot down its cash, Oliver deserves what ever she gets or demands. I deserve a private Boeing 747 jet, but, the reality is where is my money in correlation to that jet? With your principle, how do I get my private jet based on the "I deserve it?" Im expecting to have that jet by the way lol.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Hopefully we see some better renders soon. The image provided is lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    What we think deserves what is irrelevant to the rules of commerce. When oliver plot down its cash, Oliver deserves what ever she gets or demands. I deserve a private Boeing 747 jet, but, the reality is where is my money in correlation to that jet? With your principle, how do I get my private jet based on the "I deserve it?" Im expecting to have that jet by the way lol.
    Wow, what a terrible analogy. Having EDC reject the project based on design won’t kill the project; this isn’t Winnipeg, and we should not accept mediocre designs. The developer will tweak it to a design that offers at least some flair. Symphony Tower proves you don’t have to break the bank to build a good looking tower.

Wow, what a terrible analogy. Having EDC reject the project based on design won’t kill the project; this isn’t Winnipeg, and we should not accept mediocre designs. The developer will tweak it to a design that offers at least some flair. Symphony Tower proves you don’t have to break the bank to build a good looking tower.
    Symphony units go for 600 per square foot. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Because his post was way off base. Insulting.
    Big Bird did nothing of the sort.

The only off base, offensive and insulting posts were clearly yours.
    I don’t care what you have to say. You’re nobody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    And you are?
    Wow, did I miss something ? Was there a post removed or withdrawn ?

I'm just afraid PB might be insulted again by finding out that I don't hang on his every word and hadn't checked the thread for a while !

Because stucco is hideous and lazy, while this isn't. That's just my opinion though.

Because stucco is hideous and lazy, while this isn't. That's just my opinion though.
    Go back to Post 1 and click on the material and colour palette information provided to the right of the render. Top right corner of the palette display. Read it. Paint on concrete - for you acrylic ... to which you wrote is "hideous and lazy". I agree.

Wow, what a terrible analogy. Having EDC reject the project based on design wonít kill the project; this isnít Winnipeg, and we should not accept mediocre designs. The developer will tweak it to a design that offers at least some flair. Symphony Tower proves you donít have to break the bank to build a good looking tower.
    Do you think Falcon is going to get the price that Symphony got? If they do, I will worry for the future of our city. As what you are telling me that money doesn't affect the difference in level of quality?

^^aah, oops, my bad I misinterpreted the render and should have read more closely apparently, that's disappointing. I'd still argue that the fact that this tower won't be as prominent in the skyline as Falcon and the seemingly better window/wall ratio, make it significantly less offensive.

Cop out. Answer the question. And posting examples of other buildings doesn't explain sh*t. So let's start this again, please explain.

^^aah, oops, my bad I misinterpreted the render and should have read more closely apparently, that's disappointing. I'd still argue that the fact that this tower won't be as prominent in the skyline as Falcon and the seemingly better window/wall ratio, make it significantly less offensive.
    You can argue until you turn blue. Both Symphony and Falcon 1&2 will feature prominently in out skyline because on entrance to the downtown from the South at Saskatchewan Drive: Symphony stands out due to its closeness to the river, it is not blocked, it is a high tower compared to this around it, it has a distinct shape and the blue glazing is mesmerizing. Falcon 1 and 2 will popout because of height - like Stantec. Stantec is a skinny Tower - but to me nothing about is screams "wow" other than the height. In some aspects - the design (not materials) of Falcon 1 and 2 is much superior to the sullen Stantec Condo floors. My preference for Falcon 1&2 would be curtain wall, or failing that, floor to ceiling large format glazing. The acrylic stucco / paint thing simply looks cheap any way you read it and if that's what they are going with - maybe that will suit the rental market. As to Grandin 2 (what this thread is about) it is much to do about nothing ... a developing filling a vacant lot in Oliver without much of anything going on design wise. Thats my view from the preliminary rendering - maybe they will give it a little love as they refine her.

Cop out. Answer the question. And posting examples of other buildings doesn't explain sh*t. So let's start this again, please explain.
    EDC, if I could, I would enlarge the committee, resource it some competencies to allow for a deeper dig in critical issues that arise in reviewing proposed projects and broaden the scope to include the entire city (commercial and large scale multi-residential). Of course they would need to prioritize their work (ah the role of a task master) but that's simply triaging. I can hear some people groaning through the speakers on my laptop ... but we need to kick up the review process several notches.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Hopefully we see some better renders soon. The image provided is lousy.
    Agreed. I get that any hint of stucco receives instant dislike (and generally for good reason) but arguing the building looks awful off of that single rendering seems a bit hasty.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

C2E SME

I don't know, I think I like the design. It looks interesting.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Hasty judgments consisting of a couple negative words for a picture is what C2E Armchair Design Geniuses are all about!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Hasty judgement by you, denigrating public opinion and public comments.

I didn't think you were that obtuse. Stucco belongs in suburbs.

C2E SME

Chris, you're obviously dealing with a real intellect here. One who couldn't even be bothered to read the finish sample labels to see that what he thinks is "stucco" is actually metal panel or painted concrete.

I didn't think you were that obtuse. Stucco belongs in suburbs.
    Totally disagree with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Chris, you're obviously dealing with a real intellect here. One who couldn't even be bothered to read the finish sample labels to see that what he thinks is "stucco" is actually metal panel or painted concrete.
    It will still look cheap based on the amount of it. Looks like Westrich’s suburban developments, while Encore and Ultima are suitable for downtown.
    Last edited by Prairie Boy; 08-04-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Close your eyes now then review that render one more time. At present, I don't care for the two styles of glazings, so imagine the darker glass portion is use all around? That becomes a different tower all together doesn't it?

The glass wrapped around the building with a small amount of the “painted cement” interrupting the glass would be acceptable.

It is not a bad design, but I find it incomplete and vague at this stage. The materials used will look good as mullions is the key to making everything look good and tied. From a first glance, the very immedIate discord was the two style glazings. They just have to stick with the unison colour glazings for a winner imo. It has to be colour glazing for here as the majority of the pannels has a drabby tone; colour will balance that out.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Looks like crap.
    i agree !!

Poor excuse for a design committee.

This looks like anything in any other major Canadian city or even suburban city, for that matter. More Vitrum please.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

the way i look at our buildings is... they don't have to be jawdropping (though it would be nice) but they should have a couple special or redeeming visual qualities that make them stand out from the usual white box design that is so common

Post #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Looks good.
    Post #3
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Looks like crap.
    Poor excuse for a design committee.

That about covers it...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It will still look cheap based on the amount of it. Looks like Westrichís suburban developments, while Encore and Ultima are suitable for downtown.
    Backpedal harder.