Thread: Unnamed Beljan low-rise | 123 Street & 111 Ave | Approved

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Unnamed Beljan low-rise | 123 Street & 111 Ave | Approved

From the Journal:

City council approved a rezoning application Monday for an apartment building that the developer says will bring density and diversity, but that neighbours worry will stick out like a sore thumb.

City council voted 9-4 in favour of Beljan Development’s application to rezone three lots in the southeast corner of Inglewood for a new four-storey development.

The parcel faces 123 Street and is separated from 111 Avenue by a single house to the south. When finished, the building will have 49 units and 27 parking spots. It will feature rooftop amenity space, and will be designed to limit shadowing and overlook into neighbouring properties.

During talks with the community, Beljan committed to making at least four three-bedroom units, including indoor parking for 20 bicycles, and adding a car share parking stall. The company also agreed to make a $66,300 commitment to Rocketship Park.

Beljan’s Chris Dulaba said the location supports the city’s goal of creating density around transit corridors, and that adding some housing diversity will be a boon to the neighbourhood. He said he thinks more of this type of development will begin to spread into “first ring” suburban areas as prices continue to rise in the core.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I'd rather C2E than work!

Hmm. Without any community support.

Wonder why they couldn't get that one house.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

The render says "Inglewood House" on the entrance.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^Good catch! I didn't notice that, nor did I see this project on Beljan's website. (If a mod wouldn't mind editing the thread title, that'd be chill.)
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Solid infil.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I am sure there is some community support there and it certainly looks like a decent infill project.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I am sure there is some community support there and it certainly looks like a decent infill project.
    None that is being reported by the media - EJ and CBC and the other sites. Maybe you know more than they do.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

None that is being reported by the media - EJ and CBC and the other sites. Maybe you know more than they do.
    It's a pretty safe assumption that it's not proportionally indicative feedback but rather the NEGATIVE community commentary that comes out in the media... Firstly the people with negative opinions are usually louder and secondly the media often finds it more newsworthy.

C2E Long Term Contributor

..not to mention that most people FOR it typically do not show up to the meetings/hearings or write letters.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'm thinking there is an error in the article and they must mean 122nd Street and 111th Avenue as there is not a house on 111th at 123rd, just a small apartment building. Unless that's what was meant by house. Also the first two (maybe three) houses on the east side of 122nd from 111th have development opportunity signs on them.

The only real issue I see is the positioning if it is indeed bracketed by houses. Other than that we can use buildings like these close to major arteries like 111th Avenue and 124 Street.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

..not to mention that most people FOR it typically do not show up to the meetings/hearings or write letters.
    There is a quote worthy of saving.

God so true. It's harder to get letters of support or even fill out the forms at open houses than it is to garner support AGAINST something. It's tough getting letters of support unless a project is on the line.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I also enjoy it when streets full of homes with garages and lane access cite that the streets are full of cars that park out front. That coveted parking space infront of your house that you claim to own.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    God so true. It's harder to get letters of support or even fill out the forms at open houses than it is to garner support AGAINST something. It's tough getting letters of support unless a project is on the line.
    Indeed. We all recently witnessed the Oliver Community League "Board" recently speaking against a proposed land swap presumedly for ALL of its members (https://www.olivercommunity.com/the-...ould-you-know/) ... clearly though not the MOST as in "most people FOR it typically do not show up to the meetings/hearings or write letters". But then MOST people are not members of a Community League. I doubt of course OCL Board got proxies from the majority of it's members or from Oliver residents who are not members. That said, no one knows what the residents of Oliver would actually vote for or against - it is after all the decision of City Council.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 02-04-2019 at 09:12 PM.

The building to the south of this site is an old apartment building. To the north is a duplex, which is why we designed the building to have a larger setback and applied a 3m stepback on the third and fourth floors. Hoping to start construction this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    The building to the south of this site is an old apartment building. To the north is a duplex, which is why we designed the building to have a larger setback and applied a 3m stepback on the third and fourth floors. Hoping to start construction this summer.
    Great looking project, it will be a great addition to the community

I like the design. I also think its a good fit for the location. My comments below have nothing to do with my favourable thoughts on the design and location of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Indeed. We all recently witnessed the Oliver Community League "Board" recently speaking against a proposed land swap presumedly for ALL of its members (https://www.olivercommunity.com/the-...ould-you-know/) ... clearly though not the MOST as in "most people FOR it typically do not show up to the meetings/hearings or write letters". But then MOST people are not members of a Community League. I doubt of course OCL Board got proxies from the majority of it's members or from Oliver residents who are not members. That said, no one knows what the residents of Oliver would actually vote for or against - it is after all the decision of City Council.
    Oliver has inadequate park space, they wanted the city to bring fixing the problem by purchasing the old school site for more park.

I never agreed with assessment personally given proximity to the river valley. However, it still stands Oliver needs more parks as per the city guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Good to have that confirmed. If it had been a lone house isolated against 111th that would have been problematic however the location just north of that apt building is a good one.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"